TESTERS WANTED! ×

broke two clubs on back to back holes.....

Went golfing in 45 degree weather outside of Boston, MA  on April 30.  Was using a TopFlite distance ball (high handicapper and typically buy my balls as cheap as possible) and Cobra Amp Cell irons (steel stiff) purchased just under three years ago. On the eighth hole (par 3 175 yds) I hit my 5 iron onto the green.  In doing so the head flew off my 5 iron.  The iron snapped right at the base of head.  Disappointed but chalked it up to crappy luck.  Ninth hole I hit my driver and then my 6 iron.  Same exact thing happens to my 6 iron!!  Now I am really concerned.  Was it the weather, the ball, a defect in the club, or maybe a combination of all of these things?  Clubs are well cared for and I don't abuse them at all.  Anyone have thoughts on how this could happen on back to back holes?!  I have attached some pictures.....

cobra1.jpg

cobra2.jpg

cobra3.jpg

By any chance do you leave your clubs in your trunk/car? If you keep your clubs in your car all summer the epoxy heats up and weakens and then in the winter the cold makes the epoxy brittle. Just a possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Honestly not trying to be a dick but did you catch these a little fat? With it being that temperature the ground may have been pretty hard still. Combine that with a fat shot and you could have some shaft failure 

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

@3under, I don't think that is the case here, the shafts broke off just above the hosel here.

They didn't just come loose and fly off.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

@numberonecoog I did not hit either shot fat (though as a high handicapper I have certainly hit my fair share of fat shots). Despite the temperature the ground wasn't that hard. 

Only other additional information is that my swing speed (on monitor at least) is high 90's.  Clubs are also not left in car and the fact that they snapped leads me to believe it wasn't an epoxy issue.

The only conclusion I can come to from the previous posts is that maybe they were just breaking down. Maybe one too many fat shots in the past? It's definitely weird. Three years isn't that old either.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

It wasn't warm enough for any epoxy issue. I'd contact Cobra and explain to them what happened. I'd say a defect in the parts or incorrectly put together. Hopefully they will take care of you.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

That sucks, like GolfHacker said I would contact Cobra, and see what they can do.

Let us know what happens.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

As a follow up I contacted Cobra and they said to bring them to an authorized dealer and they could advise me on the next step.  Since I am out of warranty they will quote me a price to have them re-shafted and create a ticket to be sent to Cobra for repair.  To be continued......

When you wash your grips, do you dunk your grip in a bucket of water by chance? That will cause shafts to rust from the inside out and break down quicker as the moisture can't escape faster than oxidation occurs.

If they were graphite I'd say it's likely from the hosels not being properly prepped and debuted before install.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

@RookieBlue7 that is an interesting theory.  At the end of each season I wash my clubs and have dipped the club head in a bucket of warm water to wash them.  I also recently regripped my clubs.  Could the solvent I used also have broken the clubs down due to rust if it got trapped in the shaft?

I wonder if the clubs didn't get hit pretty hard when you were putting them in or out of storage, or during travel (TSA can be hard on clubs).  Might have cracked a couple of clubs near the top and finished the job when you hit a ball with them.  I've broken a couple shafts before and it is pretty amazing at how thin and fragile they really are if you hit them the wrong way.  Best of luck getting these fixed by Cobra - hopefully they step up for you.  Good news is that it shouldn't cost more than $100 or so to get them reshafted.

What's in the Bag:

Driver - Titleist TS2 11.5, Diamana 70 Stiff Flex

FW - Callaway Razr X 3 Wood

Rescue - Taylormade Rocketballz 4 Rescue

Irons - Callaway Apex CF19, Nippon S. Pro 1050 GH, Stiff Flex

Wedges - Titleist Vokey S4 48, 52, 56, and 60

Putter - Odyssey OWorks Marxman

This is really strange. Was the set brand new when you purchased? It looks like they have collared ferrules and both shafts broke off right at the bottom of the collars. Makes me think there wasn't enough epoxy in the gap between the shaft and the hosel. I would press Cobra for a free repair on this one if they were indeed an OEM build.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Manufacturing defects look like this. Any big golf store or reputable store will get this fixed free.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver: Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood : Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW: Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW: Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW: Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips:  Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

Sorry this happened, that is a bummer. Hope the repair goes smoothly.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

@RookieBlue7 that is an interesting theory.  At the end of each season I wash my clubs and have dipped the club head in a bucket of warm water to wash them.  I also recently regripped my clubs.  Could the solvent I used also have broken the clubs down due to rust if it got trapped in the shaft?

Solvent wouldn't do it as it's spirits based and usually has some type of surfactant in it.  I know water will do it as I've had to replace iron shafts for my uncle in a few sets.  He cleans them by submerging them in a bucket of water for a few minutes then scrub and plunges them again to wash the soap off.  I've told him to quit doing it and I swear he does it more often now... Regardless, I know it happens and I've seen it.  Look and see how much rust is inside the shafts if you can.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I had a wedge shaft break where the bottom of the grip meets the shaft.  I went to Myrtle Beach and played 10 courses in 6 days in August one year.  It rained every day and it was hot.  I brought my clubs into the condo each night and dried them out, but it was very humid too.  A couple of weeks after I got home, I was playing at my course and the club snapped when I hit the ground.  All I was holding was the grip.  It rusted right at the grip.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Solvent wouldn't do it as it's spirits based and usually has some type of surfactant in it.  I know water will do it as I've had to replace iron shafts for my uncle in a few sets.  He cleans them by submerging them in a bucket of water for a few minutes then scrub and plunges them again to wash the soap off.  I've told him to quit doing it and I swear he does it more often now... Regardless, I know it happens and I've seen it.  Look and see how much rust is inside the shafts if you can.

Having your irons submerged under water will do it as well.  Found that out the hard way.......

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

This is really strange. Was the set brand new when you purchased? It looks like they have collared ferrules and both shafts broke off right at the bottom of the collars. Makes me think there wasn't enough epoxy in the gap between the shaft and the hosel. I would press Cobra for a free repair on this one if they were indeed an OEM build.

I took my clubs to my local cobra authorized dealer and the guy I spoke to said that the 1/16 inch gap between collared ferrules and club head is a manufacturing defect and likely weakened the shaft leading to the broken clubs. Cobra is saying the collared ferrules are only aesthetic in their purpose. What do you think?

I took my clubs to my local cobra authorized dealer and the guy I spoke to said that the 1/16 inch gap between collared ferrules and club head is a manufacturing defect and likely weakened the shaft leading to the broken clubs. Cobra is saying the collared ferrules are only aesthetic in their purpose. What do you think?

I can't believe Cobra had the nerve to tell you collared ferrules have no utility. Most ferrules are designed for aesthetic appeal but that is not at all the case with collared ferrules. The collar is meant to keep the shafts centered in the hosel and there should have been enough epoxy applied to fill every bit of the negative space between the shaft and the hosel. If it were me, I would not let Cobra off the hook on this one.

Am I correct to assume the 1/16" gap was located between the bottom of the ferrule and the top of the hosel?

BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS

From Cobra; "the ferrules of the club do not affect the performance or integrity of the shaft in any way, they are purely for improved looks."

Yes, you are correct that the gap is located between the bottom of ferrule and top of hosel. Any suggestions to aide battle with Cobra is appreciated.

Having your irons submerged under water will do it as well. Found that out the hard way.......

Hmm.. I Rinse my clubs one at a time under running water. Mind you it's just the head that gets put under the running water. Knock on wood, hopefully nothing is wrong with the shafts.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Hmm.. I Rinse my clubs one at a time under running water. Mind you it's just the head that gets put under the running water. Knock on wood, hopefully nothing is wrong with the shafts.

MDGolfHacker

Oh he's referring to when his house flooded and I told him I'd clean the heads up and everything. Then when they got here, the shafts were all rusted solid and several were bent in places and a few blown out. I think I've still got one or two of the shafts I pulled laying around somewhere. Use them to put clubheads on when I'm shooting polymer finishes

In The Bag

Oh he's referring to when his house flooded and I told him I'd clean the heads up and everything. Then when they got here, the shafts were all rusted solid and several were bent in places and a few blown out. I think I've still got one or two of the shafts I pulled laying around somewhere. Use them to put clubheads on when I'm shooting polymer finishes

Ah... :)

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

The Adams Idea MB2s right? I inquired about purchasing them awhile back and he told me how special they were (thanks to you) and that he would never ever part with them.

BTW, OP PMed me and I walked him through what I believed was an OEM build defect; Cobra eventually turned tail and agreed to repair at no charge.

BTW, OP PMed me and I walked him through what I believed was an OEM build defect; Cobra eventually turned tail and agreed to repair at no charge.

That's good to hear. Love when a company's customer service is an A+

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Special thanks to downlowkey who helped me convince Cobra about the defect in my clubs.  They agreed when I used his rationale and are fixing the clubs free of charge.  They are in route to Cobra right now!  I appreciate the camaraderie of the MyGolfSpy forum.

Archived