TESTERS WANTED! ×

Sand Green Golf

HuskerHacker

I'm curious about how many people have ever played on sand greens. I grew up playing sand greens on a little nine-hole par 32 course. I didn't know grass greens existed until I was seven or eight and saw some on TV.

I love sand and typically play in a couple of tournaments every summer that my local course hosts. Gets me back to my roots, if you will. Completely different experience from grass, but something everybody who is into golf should be apart of at some point in my opinion.

If you've played, chime in and talk about the experience!

WITB

Bag: Ogio Silencer Cart

Driver: 915D2 10.25 Anmkara Attitude

3/4 Wood: Currently MIA

Hybrid: 910H 21* Diamana 'ahina

Irons: 712 AP1 DGs300

Wedges: SCOR 50, 54, 58 KBS Genius12

Putter: Ping Ketsch w/ flatso 1.0

Ball: Bridgestone B330

Cart: Clicgear 3.5+

Only sand greens I know about is when a course punches their greens...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

We have a 9-hole course north of Spokane, WA near the Canadian border in Metaline, Falls, WA with sand greens;  Pend Oreille Golf & Country Club built in 1936.  Green fees are $1 weekdays and $1.50 weekends; deposit fee in box.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Only sand greens I know about is when a course punches their greens...

Oh no. This is what I mean by sand greens.

IMG_0445.JPG

WITB

We have a 9-hole course north of Spokane, WA near the Canadian border in Metaline, Falls, WA with sand greens; Pend Oreille Golf & Country Club built in 1936. Green fees are $1 weekdays and $1.50 weekends; deposit fee in box.

Have you played? How'd you like it?

WITB

attachicon.gifIMG_0445.JPG

I've never seen that!

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

WOW, never seen that before......I think I'll pass on the sand please.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

IMG_0445.JPG

That's cool! So do you rake the line you are putting to the hole or play it as it lies?

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Have you played? How'd you like it?

I haven't been there.  It's quite a drive, but I see a trip to the Canadian Rockies in the near future, and this course is on the way.

Here is a link to how to play on a sand green, and sand green courses that may be near you.

http://pasturegolf.com/courses/sandgreens.htm

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Yes I heard of them. There are few old timers that used to be around that told me stories about playing on them. They were located in a few of the little hot dusty oil field towns around these parts. They said the sand was mixed with oil and then spread and packed to some extent. As for me... I've never played a sand green nor seen one. They've all disappeared from these parts. I suppose if I lived some place and that's all that were available I'd play them. That is until I moved the hell out. I'm a green grass golfer.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I played sand greens once in Cairns, Australia. They were like cement. Probably just a bad course, but I prefer sand on the beach. ☺️

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

WOW, never seen that before......I think I'll pass on the sand please.

No, no! It's a must for any true golf fan! Give it a shot once.

Grew up playing on a 9-hole sand green course. $8 to play all-day. I got my moneys worth.

The course I play has $2 green fees for a round and $35 for a family membership. My old man used to have a 3 wheel Harley Davidson cart and I put some miles on that course and cart when I was young.

That's cool! So do you rake the line you are putting to the hole or play it as it lies?

MDGolfHacker

You after you reach the green and everybody is on a spot is typically picked in the middle of all the putts. Then a small tined rake is used to work the sand a little then it is drug smooth with the opposite side of the rake. Our rakes are made of what I'm guessing is 16 inch long 2.5 inch diameter pipe with small bolts welded to it. Not very much break in putts usually and speed is key.

The hardest part of playing is to hit the green because they're tiny. 15-20 foot diameters aren't uncommon and some are even smaller.

Yes I heard of them. There are few old timers that used to be around that told me stories about playing on them. They were located in a few of the little hot dusty oil field towns around these parts. They said the sand was mixed with oil and then spread and packed to some extent. As for me... I've never played a sand green nor seen one. They've all disappeared from these parts. I suppose if I lived some place and that's all that were available I'd play them. That is until I moved the hell out. I'm a green grass golfer.

Around here the sand is usually mixed with old engine oil from tractors that's been donated by local farmers. Most courses are far from green but give it a shot!

I played sand greens once in Cairns, Australia. They were like cement. Probably just a bad course, but I prefer sand on the beach.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'd say it was a bad course. When my local course is in good shape if you hit the green with anything from 3 wood to a 60 the ball isn't moving more than a foot from impact.

My grampa used to only play on sand greens. Not even sure if there are any in my necks of the woods anymore.

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

They're a dying breed that's for use. Go play if you ever have a chance.

I haven't been there. It's quite a drive, but I see a trip to the Canadian Rockies in the near future, and this course is on the way.

Here is a link to how to play on a sand green, and sand green courses that may be near you.

http://pasturegolf.com/courses/sandgreens.htm

If you go through make a stop and play. It's a memorable experience.

Yes I have.. Use to be several in the 70s~80s

Sent from my SM-N910V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

They are dying off quick. Kind of hard to keep up when all golf is dying it seems.

WITB

Archived