Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Taylormade P750 Tour Proto Irons

andrevdp

For those who know me, I'm always on the lookout for the "next best set of irons/woods/wedges". Currently onto my 10th set of irons since November.  That being said the reason I change so frequently is that I have a very particular set of requirements I need a set of irons to meet.

What I want in a set of irons:

1. They need to look just right:

a. Short Blade length with a highish toe.

b. Little to no offset .  Literally they need to have no more than 2.5mm throughout.

c. Satin chrome or matt black finish

d. They need to look "small"

2. They need to feel just right

a. Miura are mushy, Titleist are clicky. Mizuno are ok but not great. Kyoei and Endo are AWESOME

b. They need to give you feedback when not hit out the sweetspot

c. They mustn't eave you with numb hands when you miss hit them

3. They need to play just right

a. Must be workable thoughout the set

b. Some forgiveness in the longer irons is a bonus but not essential

c. Must allow for playability from all lies

So I know what I have described is pretty much the Holy Grail of players irons, and in my attempt to find something that at least ticks the majority of the boxes I have owned and played virtually every players iron than comes out (both blades and CBs).  My Scratch SB-1 irons are the closest thing I have found to date along with the United SBB1 Tour irons.  If I had to reach back a few years, the iron set closest to meeting these criteria (I think they ticked every box) was the TM Rac TP blades.

So now knowing what I am looking for in an iron, fast forward to last week, when I finally bit the bullet and bought a set of P750 Tour Proto heads.  I have been avoiding these because of the $ as well as the stigma attached to playing "Tour Proto" anything.  Finally I caved in and got a great deal on a set of 4-PW heads.

I shoved a set of Recoil 110 F4 shafts in them (my stock shaft I have been using for a year) on Friday night and off to the range we went on Saturday morning.  Well after hitting the 7 iron for exactly 15 minutes, I was horrified.  They felt dead, ball went nowhere and generally they were pretty horrible in the feel and playability categories.  However, they did tick all the boxes in the looks category.

So I went back to my workshop and started to think things through.  I wasn't going to give up on them that quickly, especially as I loved how they looked.  Sorting through my overly large collection of shafts I came across a set of Shimada Tour Stiff shafts that I had pulled out of my United SBB1 Tour irons.

What the hell, I had nothing to lose, so shoved them into the P750's on Saturday afternoon and took them out for my Sunday group round (quite a competitive bunch of hacks) who won't hold back in giving me a tough time if I don't hit it decently.

The transformation was incredible.  Suddenly I was left with an incredibly responsive iron in my hands, that felt amazing when flushed, gave you enough feedback so that you know exactly where on the head you have hit it when you miss the middle, but without being harsh.  Distances were back to where they should be and in fact I have picked up a half club over the SBB1 Tour's and the Mizuno JPX-900 Tours that I used earlier this year. 

Over and above everything though, they look FANTASTIC, and they are SMALL, VERY SMALL, in fact they are smaller throughout the set than my Scratch SB1s, yet they do over a small modicum of forgiveness.  They aren't as forgiving as AP2s or Apex Pro's but they are probably more forging than any of the current blades and certainly more forgiving than the JPX-900 Tours.  Plus they feel better than the Mizuno's and the Pings and the Titleists.  They actually feel very JDM like.

It will be interesting to see how long the honeymoon lasts, but for now, these may just be the Holy Grail in irons!

I just hit the P750 irons with a Nippon 120 X-flex at a demo. I did only hit them for a short while but they seem solid. Great feel and well balanced. To me, the P770 were pretty good as well but feel was more clicky and not as smooth as the P750.

Maybe the shaft is the culprit. I have demo'd the steel fiber graphite shaft and the graphite definitely muted the feel. Just like True Temper steel shafts with Sensi-Core mutes the feel. I never liked shafts or elastomers in the head that dampens feel and want the feedback. 

:taylormade-small:

:titleist-small:

+1 here!  

Last year I had Miura Small Blades and made the switch to PXG 0311.  Being a blade player traditionally, pretty stupid to not get 0311T but I regardless, I switched to PXG.

I'm now in a set comprised of a TaylorMade UDI 3 iron, P-770 4 iron and 5-PW in the P-750.  Feel is top notch.  Playability is there. Consistency is there.  FEEL is 100% there.  I'm so glad this is what my bag is made up of now.

Guess I better change my WITB.

@BryanGolf

Cobra F7+ w/Project X HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5

Cobra F7 3 Wood w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 80TX
TaylorMade M2 5 Wood w/Graphite Design DI 8X
TaylorMade UDI 3 Iron w/Project X HZRDUS Black 105g 6.5
TaylorMade P770 4 Iron, P750 5-PW w/True Temper DGTI X100
TaylorMade Milled Grind SB 54w/DGTI S400
​Titleist Vokey SM6 60* M Grind w/DGTI S400
TaylorMade Spider Tour Blue

Show us the loot!!! Photos please!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I have a set of these on the way as my PSI Tour Polymer was falling out and they are replacing them. I can't wait like you said these seem to be what a lot of people were hoping for

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Show us the loot!!! Photos please!

I agree all this talk of these beautiful irons, the only thing lacking are pictures.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

I agree all this talk of these beautiful irons, the only thing lacking are pictures.

Mine arrive tomorrow and I will try to get pics up 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

As promised.  Address pics are of the 5 iron and PW.  Anybody who argues that these irons aen't SMALL, really SMALL, is either insane or blind.  They are shorter from heel to toe than my Scratch SB1s. I have also heard people say that they can't really notice the difference between the P750 and P770 irons.  Again, either insane or blind.  I have a P770 4 iron head that I may end up using instead of the P750 or the UDI, and there is a VERY marked difference in the blade length and thickness of sole and top line.

I have reshafted them since my review, as I found the Shimada's too light - currently have KBS Tour FLT (stiff) in them.  Any questions on these or anything else in the bag, just ask :)

IMG_1068.JPG

IMG_1066.JPG

IMG_1063.JPG

IMG_1062.JPG

IMG_1061.JPG

IMG_1054.JPG

IMG_1055.JPG

IMG_1056.JPG

IMG_1057.JPG

Look sweet. Don't know if I'll sleep tonight waiting for them

In my bag:

Awesome setup Andre!

Driver: :nike-small: Nike Vapor Speed (10.5 degrees, Stiff)
Hybrid: :titelist-small: Titleist 915H 3h (stiff)
Irons: :nike-small: Nike Vapor Fly Pro (4-AW, stiff +.5 inch long)
Wedges: :nike-small: Nike Engage (52, 56, 60)
Putter: :seemore-small: SeeMore FGP Mallet
Ball: Vice Pro Soft

Bag: Puma Cart Bag

Shoes: :footjoy-small: FootJoy Hyperflex BOA

Dexterity: Right Handed

Handicap: 14

Just picked up my set and wow they are pretty! Pics will be up asap

In my bag:

• 9 months later...

It's a pretty slow day at the office today, so I have been reading/watching youtube videos. Just watched one comparing the P730/50/70/90, and after reading this review and a thread about the P770, I think I have added another to the pile I plan on testing when I get new irons later this year.

Does anyone here have a combo set of this series that can comment?

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Archived