Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

New Irons - from TaylorMade to Mizuno

I've been a TaylorMade irons player since the TaylorMade Bubble Burner Oversize model.  I bought my first set in 2000.  They were new to me (originally released in 1996), first set of graphite irons and 'quality' golf clubs I ever owned.  They replaced my starter set, which I'd had for over 15 years - Spalding Executive's. 

After the Bubble Burners, I bought the TM RAC LT's, then R7 CGB's, Burner 2.0's, then the SLDR's.  Of those, the Burner 2.0's were the longest club's I'd ever owned - though I did my best scoring with the SLDR's.  I had it in my head, I'd move to the PSi's, or maybe the M1/M2 series.  I'd tried them, meh...nothing that seemed overly impressive.

While at a golf show, I tried the Ping G series irons.  They felt great, I was convinced I was going to buy a set.  While on travel, staying in Yorktown, VA, I stopped by a local golf shop and tried them on a launch monitor.  The numbers weren't as impressive I hoped.  So then I tried the M2's, kind of the same range of numbers.  Also, nothing that made me scream for a new set.  The guy at the shop asked me to hit the Mizuno JPX-900's.  First shot...wow!  Great feel, ball seemed to jump off the club.  Let's run the numbers....spin rates are down on long irons, distance was up..what the heck was going on?!?  He mentioned to me that based upon my swing, he put in the Project X LZ (5.5) shafts.  Was that making that big a difference?  Apparently .... yes.  I continued to hit them, switching back to the M2 & G series, just to be sure it wasn't because I was just 'warmed up' now.  Nope...the Mizuno's are clearly the better club FOR ME.  I emphasize this, because everyone's swing is different, but for me - I've found my clubs.

Now, they're pricey...it's hard to find a deal on them.  Prices are pretty much set - but I got what I was looking for, 5 - GW in the Project X LZ shafts.  My custom fitting told me I'm 1/4" longer and 2* upright - first time I've modified my irons off standard, I'm really looking forward to the new clubs - albeit apprehensive about hitting something other than standard settings.  Guess we'll see if it's accurate!

To be honest, I've been a die-hard TaylorMade guy for more than 15 years.  I still believe they make the best drivers in the business.  But, it's hard to imagine me bagging anything except TM's, yet here I am.  I've played the Mizuno wedges (MP T-11, T4 and T5's for years), but never really thought I'd switch.  Blind loyalty...yep, that WAS me.  I'm on travel to VA again this week, but my wife told me my new clubs from Mizuno arrived on Thursday.  I get back home to Florida on Saturday - I'll be at the range and playing my first round with them on Sunday.

I'll keep you posted...

-- P.J.

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.5c73aa0e191520c63e4a7567ea08cf4a.pngTour -  image.png.70e0eeb259be4d89842e31955c4a2f83.png
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

image.png

image.png

Good to hear you kept an open mind and found the perfect clubs for you, even if they aren't exactly what you were originally looking for.

I've always been one to go used or build my own, but I think if I really wanted to go all in on a fitting with launch monitor data and the like I'd try everything the fitter would recommend, and not be predisposed to a certain brand.

Best of luck with the new Mizuno's.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Love my Mizuno's. It's a company that doesn't always come to mind when people only focus on advertisement, pro endorsements, etc. But a really quality company and beautifully designed clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

Congratulations on the new Mizzy irons!

What 900's are they?

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Mizunos are the #2 selling iron worldwide if Im not mistaken, thats with Callaway holding the top spot. And Mizzy doesnt shove the advertising down your throat or any of that to do it which says alot.

ALWAYS top notch and easy on the eyes.

No surprise they were the ones!

I've been a TaylorMade irons player since the TaylorMade Bubble Burner Oversize model. I bought my first set in 2000. They were new to me (originally released in 1996), first set of graphite irons and 'quality' golf clubs I ever owned. They replaced my starter set, which I'd had for over 15 years - Spalding Executive's.

After the Bubble Burners, I bought the TM RAC LT's, then R7 CGB's, Burner 2.0's, then the SLDR's. Of those, the Burner 2.0's were the longest club's I'd ever owned - though I did my best scoring with the SLDR's. I had it in my head, I'd move to the PSi's, or maybe the M1/M2 series. I'd tried them, meh...nothing that seemed overly impressive.

While at a golf show, I tried the Ping G series irons. They felt great, I was convinced I was going to buy a set. While on travel, staying in Yorktown, VA, I stopped by a local golf shop and tried them on a launch monitor. The numbers weren't as impressive I hoped. So then I tried the M2's, kind of the same range of numbers. Also, nothing that made me scream for a new set. The guy at the shop asked me to hit the Mizuno JPX-900's. First shot...wow! Great feel, ball seemed to jump off the club. Let's run the numbers....spin rates are down on long irons, distance was up..what the heck was going on?!? He mentioned to me that based upon my swing, he put in the Project X LZ (5.5) shafts. Was that making that big a difference? Apparently .... yes. I continued to hit them, switching back to the M2 & G series, just to be sure it wasn't because I was just 'warmed up' now. Nope...the Mizuno's are clearly the better club FOR ME. I emphasize this, because everyone's swing is different, but for me - I've found my clubs.

Now, they're pricey...it's hard to find a deal on them. Prices are pretty much set - but I got what I was looking for, 5 - GW in the Project X LZ shafts. My custom fitting told me I'm 1/4" longer and 2* upright - first time I've modified my irons off standard, I'm really looking forward to the new clubs - albeit apprehensive about hitting something other than standard settings. Guess we'll see if it's accurate!

To be honest, I've been a die-hard TaylorMade guy for more than 15 years. I still believe they make the best drivers in the business. But, it's hard to imagine me bagging anything except TM's, yet here I am. I've played the Mizuno wedges (MP T-11, T4 and T5's for years), but never really thought I'd switch. Blind loyalty...yep, that WAS me. I'm on travel to VA again this week, but my wife told me my new clubs from Mizuno arrived on Thursday. I get back home to Florida on Saturday - I'll be at the range and playing my first round with them on Sunday.

I'll keep you posted...

-- P.J.

Welcome to the Mizuno Fold... Hope you enjoy the new sticks!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Congratulations on the new Mizzy irons!

What 900's are they?

I went with the Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal Face.  I hit the Forged one's, but the consistency and distance were down for me.

-- P.J.

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.5c73aa0e191520c63e4a7567ea08cf4a.pngTour -  image.png.70e0eeb259be4d89842e31955c4a2f83.png
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

image.png

image.png

These exact irons are on my radar in a serious way.

Hit a buddies 8 iron about 10 times a few weeks ago and my goodness it performed crazy good!

Excited to jump on the 'Zuno bandwagon in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I also switched from TM to Mizuno this year. Did the fitting thing and couldn't be happier with my new set(jpx 900 tour). Also bought 2 T7 wedges and have no regrets. Hope you enjoy yours.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a TaylorMade irons player since the TaylorMade Bubble Burner Oversize model.  I bought my first set in 2000.  They were new to me (originally released in 1996), first set of graphite irons and 'quality' golf clubs I ever owned.  They replaced my starter set, which I'd had for over 15 years - Spalding Executive's. 

After the Bubble Burners, I bought the TM RAC LT's, then R7 CGB's, Burner 2.0's, then the SLDR's.  Of those, the Burner 2.0's were the longest club's I'd ever owned - though I did my best scoring with the SLDR's.  I had it in my head, I'd move to the PSi's, or maybe the M1/M2 series.  I'd tried them, meh...nothing that seemed overly impressive.

While at a golf show, I tried the Ping G series irons.  They felt great, I was convinced I was going to buy a set.  While on travel, staying in Yorktown, VA, I stopped by a local golf shop and tried them on a launch monitor.  The numbers weren't as impressive I hoped.  So then I tried the M2's, kind of the same range of numbers.  Also, nothing that made me scream for a new set.  The guy at the shop asked me to hit the Mizuno JPX-900's.  First shot...wow!  Great feel, ball seemed to jump off the club.  Let's run the numbers....spin rates are down on long irons, distance was up..what the heck was going on?!?  He mentioned to me that based upon my swing, he put in the Project X LZ (5.5) shafts.  Was that making that big a difference?  Apparently .... yes.  I continued to hit them, switching back to the M2 & G series, just to be sure it wasn't because I was just 'warmed up' now.  Nope...the Mizuno's are clearly the better club FOR ME.  I emphasize this, because everyone's swing is different, but for me - I've found my clubs.

Now, they're pricey...it's hard to find a deal on them.  Prices are pretty much set - but I got what I was looking for, 5 - GW in the Project X LZ shafts.  My custom fitting told me I'm 1/4" longer and 2* upright - first time I've modified my irons off standard, I'm really looking forward to the new clubs - albeit apprehensive about hitting something other than standard settings.  Guess we'll see if it's accurate!

To be honest, I've been a die-hard TaylorMade guy for more than 15 years.  I still believe they make the best drivers in the business.  But, it's hard to imagine me bagging anything except TM's, yet here I am.  I've played the Mizuno wedges (MP T-11, T4 and T5's for years), but never really thought I'd switch.  Blind loyalty...yep, that WAS me.  I'm on travel to VA again this week, but my wife told me my new clubs from Mizuno arrived on Thursday.  I get back home to Florida on Saturday - I'll be at the range and playing my first round with them on Sunday.

I'll keep you posted...

-- P.J.

Sounds like you just found the right fit. I have hit all three models in the JPX 900 line and all of them felt amazing. I am sure you will be very happy

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Archived