Sign in to follow this  
PJEVANS

New Irons - from TaylorMade to Mizuno

Our Sponsors

I've been a TaylorMade irons player since the TaylorMade Bubble Burner Oversize model.  I bought my first set in 2000.  They were new to me (originally released in 1996), first set of graphite irons and 'quality' golf clubs I ever owned.  They replaced my starter set, which I'd had for over 15 years - Spalding Executive's. 

After the Bubble Burners, I bought the TM RAC LT's, then R7 CGB's, Burner 2.0's, then the SLDR's.  Of those, the Burner 2.0's were the longest club's I'd ever owned - though I did my best scoring with the SLDR's.  I had it in my head, I'd move to the PSi's, or maybe the M1/M2 series.  I'd tried them, meh...nothing that seemed overly impressive.

While at a golf show, I tried the Ping G series irons.  They felt great, I was convinced I was going to buy a set.  While on travel, staying in Yorktown, VA, I stopped by a local golf shop and tried them on a launch monitor.  The numbers weren't as impressive I hoped.  So then I tried the M2's, kind of the same range of numbers.  Also, nothing that made me scream for a new set.  The guy at the shop asked me to hit the Mizuno JPX-900's.  First shot...wow!  Great feel, ball seemed to jump off the club.  Let's run the numbers....spin rates are down on long irons, distance was up..what the heck was going on?!?  He mentioned to me that based upon my swing, he put in the Project X LZ (5.5) shafts.  Was that making that big a difference?  Apparently .... yes.  I continued to hit them, switching back to the M2 & G series, just to be sure it wasn't because I was just 'warmed up' now.  Nope...the Mizuno's are clearly the better club FOR ME.  I emphasize this, because everyone's swing is different, but for me - I've found my clubs.

Now, they're pricey...it's hard to find a deal on them.  Prices are pretty much set - but I got what I was looking for, 5 - GW in the Project X LZ shafts.  My custom fitting told me I'm 1/4" longer and 2* upright - first time I've modified my irons off standard, I'm really looking forward to the new clubs - albeit apprehensive about hitting something other than standard settings.  Guess we'll see if it's accurate!

To be honest, I've been a die-hard TaylorMade guy for more than 15 years.  I still believe they make the best drivers in the business.  But, it's hard to imagine me bagging anything except TM's, yet here I am.  I've played the Mizuno wedges (MP T-11, T4 and T5's for years), but never really thought I'd switch.  Blind loyalty...yep, that WAS me.  I'm on travel to VA again this week, but my wife told me my new clubs from Mizuno arrived on Thursday.  I get back home to Florida on Saturday - I'll be at the range and playing my first round with them on Sunday.

I'll keep you posted...

-- P.J.

• Like 4

Good to hear you kept an open mind and found the perfect clubs for you, even if they aren't exactly what you were originally looking for.

I've always been one to go used or build my own, but I think if I really wanted to go all in on a fitting with launch monitor data and the like I'd try everything the fitter would recommend, and not be predisposed to a certain brand.

Best of luck with the new Mizuno's.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

Love my Mizuno's. It's a company that doesn't always come to mind when people only focus on advertisement, pro endorsements, etc. But a really quality company and beautifully designed clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

Congratulations on the new Mizzy irons!

What 900's are they?

• Like 1

Mizunos are the #2 selling iron worldwide if Im not mistaken, thats with Callaway holding the top spot. And Mizzy doesnt shove the advertising down your throat or any of that to do it which says alot.

ALWAYS top notch and easy on the eyes.

No surprise they were the ones!

• Like 1

I've been a TaylorMade irons player since the TaylorMade Bubble Burner Oversize model. I bought my first set in 2000. They were new to me (originally released in 1996), first set of graphite irons and 'quality' golf clubs I ever owned. They replaced my starter set, which I'd had for over 15 years - Spalding Executive's.

After the Bubble Burners, I bought the TM RAC LT's, then R7 CGB's, Burner 2.0's, then the SLDR's. Of those, the Burner 2.0's were the longest club's I'd ever owned - though I did my best scoring with the SLDR's. I had it in my head, I'd move to the PSi's, or maybe the M1/M2 series. I'd tried them, meh...nothing that seemed overly impressive.

While at a golf show, I tried the Ping G series irons. They felt great, I was convinced I was going to buy a set. While on travel, staying in Yorktown, VA, I stopped by a local golf shop and tried them on a launch monitor. The numbers weren't as impressive I hoped. So then I tried the M2's, kind of the same range of numbers. Also, nothing that made me scream for a new set. The guy at the shop asked me to hit the Mizuno JPX-900's. First shot...wow! Great feel, ball seemed to jump off the club. Let's run the numbers....spin rates are down on long irons, distance was up..what the heck was going on?!? He mentioned to me that based upon my swing, he put in the Project X LZ (5.5) shafts. Was that making that big a difference? Apparently .... yes. I continued to hit them, switching back to the M2 & G series, just to be sure it wasn't because I was just 'warmed up' now. Nope...the Mizuno's are clearly the better club FOR ME. I emphasize this, because everyone's swing is different, but for me - I've found my clubs.

Now, they're pricey...it's hard to find a deal on them. Prices are pretty much set - but I got what I was looking for, 5 - GW in the Project X LZ shafts. My custom fitting told me I'm 1/4" longer and 2* upright - first time I've modified my irons off standard, I'm really looking forward to the new clubs - albeit apprehensive about hitting something other than standard settings. Guess we'll see if it's accurate!

To be honest, I've been a die-hard TaylorMade guy for more than 15 years. I still believe they make the best drivers in the business. But, it's hard to imagine me bagging anything except TM's, yet here I am. I've played the Mizuno wedges (MP T-11, T4 and T5's for years), but never really thought I'd switch. Blind loyalty...yep, that WAS me. I'm on travel to VA again this week, but my wife told me my new clubs from Mizuno arrived on Thursday. I get back home to Florida on Saturday - I'll be at the range and playing my first round with them on Sunday.

I'll keep you posted...

-- P.J.

Welcome to the Mizuno Fold... Hope you enjoy the new sticks!

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

Congratulations on the new Mizzy irons!

What 900's are they?

I went with the Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal Face.  I hit the Forged one's, but the consistency and distance were down for me.

-- P.J.

I hit the 750's and 770's today... unimpressed.

These exact irons are on my radar in a serious way.

Hit a buddies 8 iron about 10 times a few weeks ago and my goodness it performed crazy good!

Excited to jump on the 'Zuno bandwagon in the near future.

• Like 1

I also switched from TM to Mizuno this year. Did the fitting thing and couldn't be happier with my new set(jpx 900 tour). Also bought 2 T7 wedges and have no regrets. Hope you enjoy yours.

• Like 2

Haven't tried the JPX 900's yet but everything I have heard says they are great. Can't go wrong with a set of Mizuno irons!

I've been a TaylorMade irons player since the TaylorMade Bubble Burner Oversize model.  I bought my first set in 2000.  They were new to me (originally released in 1996), first set of graphite irons and 'quality' golf clubs I ever owned.  They replaced my starter set, which I'd had for over 15 years - Spalding Executive's. 

After the Bubble Burners, I bought the TM RAC LT's, then R7 CGB's, Burner 2.0's, then the SLDR's.  Of those, the Burner 2.0's were the longest club's I'd ever owned - though I did my best scoring with the SLDR's.  I had it in my head, I'd move to the PSi's, or maybe the M1/M2 series.  I'd tried them, meh...nothing that seemed overly impressive.

While at a golf show, I tried the Ping G series irons.  They felt great, I was convinced I was going to buy a set.  While on travel, staying in Yorktown, VA, I stopped by a local golf shop and tried them on a launch monitor.  The numbers weren't as impressive I hoped.  So then I tried the M2's, kind of the same range of numbers.  Also, nothing that made me scream for a new set.  The guy at the shop asked me to hit the Mizuno JPX-900's.  First shot...wow!  Great feel, ball seemed to jump off the club.  Let's run the numbers....spin rates are down on long irons, distance was up..what the heck was going on?!?  He mentioned to me that based upon my swing, he put in the Project X LZ (5.5) shafts.  Was that making that big a difference?  Apparently .... yes.  I continued to hit them, switching back to the M2 & G series, just to be sure it wasn't because I was just 'warmed up' now.  Nope...the Mizuno's are clearly the better club FOR ME.  I emphasize this, because everyone's swing is different, but for me - I've found my clubs.

Now, they're pricey...it's hard to find a deal on them.  Prices are pretty much set - but I got what I was looking for, 5 - GW in the Project X LZ shafts.  My custom fitting told me I'm 1/4" longer and 2* upright - first time I've modified my irons off standard, I'm really looking forward to the new clubs - albeit apprehensive about hitting something other than standard settings.  Guess we'll see if it's accurate!

To be honest, I've been a die-hard TaylorMade guy for more than 15 years.  I still believe they make the best drivers in the business.  But, it's hard to imagine me bagging anything except TM's, yet here I am.  I've played the Mizuno wedges (MP T-11, T4 and T5's for years), but never really thought I'd switch.  Blind loyalty...yep, that WAS me.  I'm on travel to VA again this week, but my wife told me my new clubs from Mizuno arrived on Thursday.  I get back home to Florida on Saturday - I'll be at the range and playing my first round with them on Sunday.

I'll keep you posted...

-- P.J.

Sounds like you just found the right fit. I have hit all three models in the JPX 900 line and all of them felt amazing. I am sure you will be very happy