Sign in to follow this  
Justin H

2017 Golf Digest Hot List

I'm sure I'm behind the times as I haven't been on the forum much lately, and I know it's near blasphemy to mention that name here, but did anyone actually flip through the Golf Digest Hot List issue?  I happened to be in the dentist office yesterday and saw a copy of it so I flipped through it. 

Their take on the Kirkland ball, along with their new testing policy that is eerily similar to MGS', were both...interesting.  Maybe this has already been discussed, or not even worth talking about, but to me it was one more example at the lack of transparency across all media.  I hope MGS continues to be as transparent as possible in all their future endeavors. 

I couldn't find any of the actual text found in the magazine online. If anyone cares enough, I'll send some pics when I get home.  Yes, I asked the dentist if I could keep the magazine.  I was told, "Fine.  Nobody reads it anyway." 

• Like 1

If you're looking for transparency you're barking up the wrong tree with GD.

Their takes on the game are just so....Digesty, as clued in by their social media pages (worth the follow for the obscurity and laughable "click-bait")

They made sure to finish their review of the K-Sig with a jab at lack of developmental follow-through.

It's just hard to take any of their "Hot-lists" seriously

It seems to be whoever is paying for the largest ads. And the golfer "insight" (I use that term Very loosely) included on each club offers no real benefit to the reader or intrigued buyer.

Stay up with MGS and you won't be disappointed from the social discussion to clear and unbiased testing that won't tell you what you want to hear but what you Need to hear

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Same clubs year in year out. Callaway, TM, Ping, Titleist always get gold. Bridgestone, Mizuno, Nike, Tour Edge get silver. Rarely is there any credence to anything not on the rack at galaxy

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

I actually flipped through it late last night while doing a little web surfing, typical typical.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

The list lost credibility when a) evnroll putters were given a silver medal and B) the k-sig wasn't given 5 stars for demand.... even though it sells out within hours of being available online.

Yes, the same clubs win golf every year, but they're the ones that sponsor GD. Exactly the reason I love MGS, they don't have to deal with that crap. I also don't like how it's not a ranking, it's a list. They are either not allowed to, or too afraid to, rank those clubs in order of the best. Another great thing MGS does.

Basically, it's worth the read, but don't make any decisions based on that. 

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    IROBINSON

• By knightrider
      Hey Y'all,
      First time to the forum and I'm starting this thread fairly selfishly, but could be cool to see what everyone's recommendations for upgrades would be!
      Currently playing a set of Mizuno MP60's that I bought used about 10 years ago....long time.
      I always buy used clubs cause prices are just too crazy for me (still waiting on that lottery ticket to hit for that custom fitting experience).
      My question is: What would be y'all's recommendations for an iron set that's comparable to the MP 60's (I love the thin topline and forged heads), but a  newer set would make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Not too loyal to any brands but really interested to see what I should give a few whacks at my local golf store. 
      Thanks in advance and I look forward to seeing what everyone's playing and what everyone's drooling over. 
      P.S.    I've been looking at the Titelist AP2's
      Cheers Y'all!!!
    • By Golfspy_CG2
      Testers Chosen!
      These four forum members will be testing and reviewing the Golf Pride Tour SNSR Contour Pro (104cc) putter grips:
      @chemclub @BigtazzGolf @JDHolmes @gchester33 Reviewing a set of Z Grip ALIGN grips:
      @LeftyHawk And reviewing the MCC Plus4 ALIGN grips:
      @romeopapazulu @knightsofnii Full announcement here

3-Testers Wanted
      Z Grip ALIGN
      Tour Velvet ALIGN
      MCC & MCC Plus 4 ALIGN
      Tour Velvet Plus 4  (rubber or cord)
      Golf Pride ® a division of power management company Eaton and an
      industry leader in grip innovation, today announced it will offer the brand’s Z-Grip ® with its
      popular ALIGN ® Technology in 2019.
      According to a recent survey, ALIGN Technology is now used by 74 TOUR players. This
      technology was first introduced in Golf Pride brand’s MCC ® and MCC Plus4 ® hybrid grips and is
      also available in a Tour Velvet® grip (all rubber) option. With the addition of a full cord grip to
      complement the existing options, Golf Pride will now offer ALIGN Technology in a full range of
      feel preferences.
      AND
      4-Testers Wanted
      Tour SNSR Contour Pro (104 or 140cc)

The Contour Pro putter grip offers the leading Tour-
      preferred, pistol-shape in two oversized models for unsurpassed feel and feedback.
      The TOUR SNSR Contour Pro utilizes the same soft, ultra-tuned rubber formulation as its
      predecessors giving the grip an excellent feel and facilitating lighter grip pressure to encourage
      a smoother stroke. The proprietary TOUR SNSR technology enhances feedback, affording
      better distance control on greens of all speeds.
      The TOUR SNSR Contour Pro putter grip also features soft, rounded edges, and a pistol flare
      back to more naturally fit in the hands. The shape includes a wide, paddle front for a consistent
      landing zone for the fingers and a tapered profile for players who prefer the traditional,
      sculptured grip design. This pistol shaped putter grip with contour has been trusted by the best
      players in the world to win the most coveted championships in golf.
      Doing this Testing, DOES NOT disqualify you from other Testing in 2019, once this ones' completed. We expect this testing to be much shorter than club testings, perhaps 4 weeks total. 

How To Apply
      In a post below please list the following:
      First Name/Home State (US Eligible)
      Current Grips Used
      Choose EITHER the ALIGN (pick one model) or SNSR (pick 104 or 140 cc)

Last Instruction:  PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS POST IN YOUR APPLICATION POST

Will be choosing the Testers Next Week-Good Luck!

• By JonMUSC08
      I am going out on a stretch with this one...
      When we all buy new golf clubs or are in the market for a new club (testing), we head over to our local shop (Dicks Sports, Edwin Watts, PGA Superstore, etc) and request to try the clubs out in the bay with the launch monitors. Of course, how well is the new club going to compare to our existing club. In my personal experience, the employees in the shops always seem annoyed when you ask to try out clubs in the bays; more so if you are a lefty such as myself. That means they have to move the launch monitor sensor to the other side of the mat 🤬. Those of us not on tour or living in the 1% wealth do not have the ability to own a Trackman or GC Quad BUT would still like to utilize those products to test equipment and learn to gap our clubs. Do these 8 new drivers really give me 20 more yards and are much more straight than my existing driver... who knows, but the golf shop guy does not want me spending 3 hours testing all his equipment. Yet he wonders why i do not buy anything after i try one driver and dont get results. Don't be annoyed with me if i ask to try a different driver.
      Here is the dream... A driving range with 2-4 bays rigged with launch monitors. Having top of the line monitors may be quite expensive but something to at least provide sufficient data to help the average or better golfer. By allowing players to learn their yardages and make adjustments will in essence speed up rounds as well. With the popularity of the technology AT the range, players would need to schedule times and pay fees for equipment use. The Arccos system is a great tool to help gap and determine club lengths BUT it takes quite a few rounds to determine all your clubs. Now i can hit 20 shots with each club and get solid data on EACH club. In addition, i can borrow or rent multiple clubs if i am in the market for a new driver, iron set, etc. IDEALLY having newly released equipment AT the  range would be perfect.
      My Golf Spy Community, lets make this happen!
      Make this the new Top Golf or get me in touch with a Top Golf guy to integrate this!

• By GregB135
      Spent a couple of hours this afternoon at the Tampa Bay Golffest event. A really nice though not especially large demo day event hosted by Tampa Bay Downs. Had a chance to hit some of the new offerings out there in the marketplace and some potential GolfSpy test candidates. 
      Hit several drivers. The new Mizuno ST, Ping G410, Wilson Cortex, and Cobra F9 Speedback. Keeping in mind it wasn't full fitting for each, but the reps did ask enough questions to get you close enough spec wise so you were hitting something close to your current gamer. Of the 4, my least favorite was the Mizuno, it just didn't have the same feel as the others. The Ping G410 just felt AWESOME. The Cobra felt good, like the ball was exploding off the face, but the ball flight was a little higher than my preference, and the ball was airborne for.....ever. The Cortex was a surprise. Felt good and solid, sound and ball flight were right there with all the others. I hit a smattering of irons, but wasn't focused enough on those to include data. The latest of the Mizuno JPX forged though was a very solid feeling club. In any case, I didn't put anything back on the rack thinking "boy that sucked" so be encouraged GolfSpy universe, there is some really good equipment coming out this year.
      Also spied some of the new Bridgestone e12 golf balls in the sale tent. I'm sure we are all waiting for the revelation of those testers (my fingers are crossed).
      Last, I got some Trackman style feedback on the effectiveness of the SuperSpeed training system (about to start week 9 for me). Participating in the skills contests, included 4 Trackman assessed shots with driver. With a mis-fit glove, no warm-up, no golf shoes, and a random selection of not my drivers to choose from, I got all 4 swings onto the grid with 3 going past 270 at 100mph. About a 15-20 yard gain from last season!! Still waiting on the promised email with the Trackman video/data and pro comparison.
      A pretty cool afternoon.

• By ChiefMikeOfficer
      There are some good articles and forums showing off Puma's new Ignite NXT line, like this one:
      But not much in the way of reviews yet. Has anyone tried the Solelace on course or at the driving range? How would you rate it (bonus points if you have used a disc model before and can compare)?
      I have a new pair of the Disc sitting in my office right now because that's (somewhat) proven technology, but I like the look of the Solelace better, so I keep looking down at them debating an exchange (but I'm skeptical... seems like it could be gimmicky). We have about 3 months until golf season starts in Wisconsin, so I'm hoping someone in a warmer climate has actually tried them out and can give some insight to help me with the decision. Thanks!
  • Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!