Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

What Irons to Put in my Bag

Greetings! 

I am new to the site and would love some advice from other people passionate about the game. I have been considering new irons for quite some time now. I'm currently gaming the Adams Golf Cross-Cavity irons. I am trying to decide if I should get these fitted or wait to get fitted when I can invest in a new setup. If anyone has any recommendations, I would appreciate it. 

I'm currently around a 20 handicap and get to play maybe 2 to 3 times per week. I am wondering if a lack of club fitting may be holding me back from seeing my game progress. I fight a fade, and I know I need an upright lie--I am thinking the two are related?

Thanks for your advice! 

Invest in a fitting. You'll get to try a variety of clubheads to find out what suits your eye the best, different shafts to figure out what profile fits your swing, and work out all the other details like lie, loft, and length. That way you'll feel certain you have the right set up for you and can just focus on getting better and enjoying the game. If you play 2 to 3 times a week, I'd say a fitting is something you will never regret.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Greetings! 

I am new to the site and would love some advice from other people passionate about the game. I have been considering new irons for quite some time now. I'm currently gaming the Adams Golf Cross-Cavity irons. I am trying to decide if I should get these fitted or wait to get fitted when I can invest in a new setup. If anyone has any recommendations, I would appreciate it. 

I'm currently around a 20 handicap and get to play maybe 2 to 3 times per week. I am wondering if a lack of club fitting may be holding me back from seeing my game progress. I fight a fade, and I know I need an upright lie--I am thinking the two are related?

Thanks for your advice! 

Can't stress enough to get fit, it will change your life and is worth the time and money. 

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

The good news is that your options are wide open!!

The bad news is that there are a LOT of options!

Go to a local shop(preferably one with a launch monitor), and hit everything.

Once you've narrowed several sets down, hit them again.

Rinse and repeat until one stands above the other!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Thanks, guys, for all the feedback and warm welcome. I have held back on getting fitted up to this point out of fear that my swing was not repeatable, making a club-fitting kind of senseless. However, I feel I am striking the ball well, so I think it is time. I also just read today that having too flat a lie angle will cause misses to the left, exactly my suspicion. 

While I have generally been a Taylormade guy, I hit the Callaway Steelhead XR's and they are pretty sweet. 

Thanks again everybody. 

Agree with all here. Fitting is a great way to go. If you have the time I would take one day out of the golf rotation and commit to some lessons as well. Trust me I tried the self teaching route for over 20 years. Fitting will help but lessons will make you better.

Agree with all here. Fitting is a great way to go. If you have the time I would take one day out of the golf rotation and commit to some lessons as well. Trust me I tried the self teaching route for over 20 years. Fitting will help but lessons will make you better.

Great advice, thanks!

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

If you're anywhere near a Club Champion fitting center they have every head on the US market and a wall full of shafts. Honest, straight forward guys. Walked out with Callaway irons and Aerotech I80 shafts. Never had considered either one but 20 yds more than my old steel shafted Ping G20's. Couldn't improve my driver, wedges or putter so no attempt to sell me anything regarding those clubs. If I'd bought off the rack, it would be pure luck to buy right.

If you're anywhere near a Club Champion fitting center they have every head on the US market and a wall full of shafts. Honest, straight forward guys. Walked out with Callaway irons and Aerotech I80 shafts. Never had considered either one but 20 yds more than my old steel shafted Ping G20's. Couldn't improve my driver, wedges or putter so no attempt to sell me anything regarding those clubs. If I'd bought off the rack, it would be pure luck to buy right.

Thanks, Wes. I appreciate the referral. I'm looking forward to getting fitted.

Don't discredit the value a fitting could do for you as a 20 HC.  I'm not much far behind you at a 17, and I've been fit more times than I can count.  And each time, I've learned something vital about my swing, and therefore setup.   You are correct about a upright lie angle will help reduce the fade a bit, and actually your second comment about too flat of lie making it go left, is the opposite, too flat of lie will make it go ever further right than a standard lie will.   So think of this, if you had a standard lie club, and the fitter said as a result of the fitting you needed 2 degrees upright, well, 2 degrees flat put you 4 degrees off from where you should be.  

I know this well as I'm a 2* person, and I demo'd my friends PINGS once that were 2 degrees flat, the results were not pretty at all...LOL

Fittings now days are becoming more and more prevent, and most good fitters know they need to do more than put you on a lie board and measure your wrist to floor distance.   I say go for it, it will be money well spent, and could save you money in the long fun by buying a shaft that is not right for you and you end up having to have it re-shafted (raises hand in embarrassment) 

As to the answer of what irons, so many great choices,  Callaway Steelhead, PING G, Titelist AP1, TaylorMade M2, Cobra F7, Srixon 565 and so on!!

Welcome to the great game of golf!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Don't discredit the value a fitting could do for you as a 20 HC. I'm not much far behind you at a 17, and I've been fit more times than I can count. And each time, I've learned something vital about my swing, and therefore setup. You are correct about a upright lie angle will help reduce the fade a bit, and actually your second comment about too flat of lie making it go left, is the opposite, too flat of lie will make it go ever further right than a standard lie will. So think of this, if you had a standard lie club, and the fitter said as a result of the fitting you needed 2 degrees upright, well, 2 degrees flat put you 4 degrees off from where you should be.

I know this well as I'm a 2* person, and I demo'd my friends PINGS once that were 2 degrees flat, the results were not pretty at all...LOL

Fittings now days are becoming more and more prevent, and most good fitters know they need to do more than put you on a lie board and measure your wrist to floor distance. I say go for it, it will be money well spent, and could save you money in the long fun by buying a shaft that is not right for you and you end up having to have it re-shafted (raises hand in embarrassment)

As to the answer of what irons, so many great choices, Callaway Steelhead, PING G, Titelist AP1, TaylorMade M2, Cobra F7, Srixon 565 and so on!!

Welcome to the great game of golf!

Roger that...I must have mispoke about the flat lie angle. I will definitely take this to heart. I feel like I'm a better golfer than around 20 HC (and that's just an estimate) but numbers don't lie lol. I think having the right equipment will eliminate much of the inconsistencies leading to higher scores. It's crazy how with some clubs I can hit it within a few feet and with another I can't hit a green. I read someone's comment that inconsistencies like this could be a result of one club being a better fit for me than the other. I'm hoping if I get fitted, I will see more consistency across my set, resulting in unified confidence as opposed to only being confident in a select few.

Roger that...I must have mispoke about the flat lie angle. I will definitely take this to heart. I feel like I'm a better golfer than around 20 HC (and that's just an estimate) but numbers don't lie lol. I think having the right equipment will eliminate much of the inconsistencies leading to higher scores. It's crazy how with some clubs I can hit it within a few feet and with another I can't hit a green. I read someone's comment that inconsistencies like this could be a result of one club being a better fit for me than the other. I'm hoping if I get fitted, I will see more consistency across my set, resulting in unified confidence as opposed to only being confident in a select few.

I just looked back, I did mispeak. I meant miss to the right*

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with others that a fitting is worth it.  I recently replaced my whole bag except 3W and 4H and just the process of trying out all the different options helped me learn a lot about my swing.  I have an average to maybe slightly fast swing speed (105ish with driver), and I learned I need a little lighter shaft to square up the clubface.  I took advantage of some "Demo Days" where a bunch of brands came to one spot and were doing what I would call "mini-fittings" for free.  It was at a country club but they would not have turned non-members away.  Most had launch monitors and I spent a few hours hitting a bunch of different brands (15-30 minutes at each one).  I narrowed it down to a few I liked then went to place that I could go through a full fitting focusing on the brands I liked (Mizuno JPX, Callaway Apex, Srixon 765).  The place I finally purchased from waived the fitting fee when I bought the clubs there.  I even ended up with a different model of Mizuno's than I planned and a mixed set with my 4i being more game improvement than the other irons.   My point is, there are some things you can do for free to dial it in before you take the plunge on a fitting fee. 

Alpine, UT

In the bag:

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic, Diamana M+ 50g Stiff Shaft

3W: Cleveland FL3W, Miyasaki 43g Stiff Shaft

4 Hybrid: Taylormade SLDR Fujikura? Stiff Shaft

4i: Mizuno MP-H5, KBS Tour C-Taper Lite 110 S Shaft 

5i-PW: Mizuno MP-25, KBS Tour C-Taper Lite 110 S Shaft

Wedges: 50, 54, 58 degree Mizuno T7 Blue Anodized, Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Shaft

Putter: EVNROLL ER7, Custom Fit 35", 71 degree lie angle and 1 degree of loft

I'm gonna provide a different view point and suggest a few lessons.

Don't know if you have had any before but since you say that you hit greats shot from time to time and then can't find the green on others maybe there is a inconsistency in your set up or swing that a pro can point out. You don't have to go all out and get a golftec lesson packet but an hour or two with a good pro will help fix the fundamentals.

Then go crazy on equipment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're just tired of looking at 'em, trade or buy. If it's a question about how much they hold you back, get some lessons and see. Reminds me of something I saw written on a restroom wall, "No matter how beautiful she is, somebody somewhere is sick and tired of her". (Different gender can be substituted as sensitivity requires.)

Archived