TESTERS WANTED! ×

Dave's Take: Bettinardi Cigar Tray

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

This item is not for everyone.

Bettinardi Cigar Tray - 1.jpg

Warning you off of a product right at the start of the review seems a poor tactic to get people to actually read the review. Or, maybe it's a clever way to trick you into reading more, tapping into the “you don't tell me what to do” part of your psyche.

Honestly, I wish that I were that clever a writer. In fact, I'm being totally up front in saying that the amazing custom cigar tray from Bettinardi that I'm talking about today really won't be something that appeals to everyone. It's just not that kind of broad market product.

However, for right buyer, it is hugely badass!

100% Milled Ash Catching Aluminum

Bettinardi Cigar Tray - 6.jpg

Bettinardi cigar trays in an assortment of colors, milled from the finest aircraft grade aluminum steel. These cigar trays are as durable as they are beautiful. The mass of the tray is sure to astonish as it weighs in at nearly four pounds! Use these trays in a variety of different ways, and stay classy with the classic Hex B logo.

While many the golfer associates Bettinardi with putters and other more golf-centered products, they have also ventured off into different product areas from time to time. They have milled phone cases (available HERE), pocketknives (I missed that one...), and cigar ashtrays such as the one I have for you today.

Bettinardi Cigar Tray - 7.jpg

The cigar tray has actually been a part of the Bettinardi product line for quite a while, I know, because I have eyed them for a number of years. For me, the massive tray held a certain attraction, and even now I have difficulties pinpointing exactly what that attraction was, I just knew that I wanted one.

An so when I decided to revamp the mygolfspy 19th hole, one of the first companies I reached out to was Bettinardi, needing to see if their milled cigar tray was as cool as I thought it would be.

Short story: Yes it is.

Remember, It May Not Be For You

Bettinardi Cigar Tray - 5.jpg

Before we get too far along, let's address the one thing that is going to be the deal killer for some of you. The price of the trays. The Bettinardi logo cigar tray is $190, with the custom version coming in a bit more at $220.

See, now you're all pissed off at the price and I had tried to warn you that these weren't for everyone. Yes, you can ash your cigar into the Bud Light tall can that you just finished, or even onto the ground, and that'll save you a couple of hundred bucks. Agreed, you can, and if that's your take on this cigar tray, you should do just that and stop reading right now.

I too see the price as expensive, but remember that we are not talking about the price of a gallon of milk here. This cigar tray is 100% luxury item, as is smoking cigars one could argue. Not one person on the planet needs to buy this cigar tray. This is all about want, and sometimes want comes with a price.

Bettinardi Cigar Tray - 2.jpg

Not unlike golf, cigar smoking can be an expensive hobby. The true cigar hobbyist does not find smoke-worthy sticks at the local drugstore, just like the putter aficionado doesn't find bag-worthy flatsticks on the rack in the proshop. The putter metaphor actually works quite well in the cigar arena. Anyone can play golf with a cheap putter, but some golfers find pleasure in playing with something nicer, viewing the increased price as money well spent on their hobby. You may think otherwise, as is your right, but that doesn't make them wrong in liking nice things.

If you have the money, spend it how you like. I know that some cigar hobbyists have a ritual that goes with smoking a fine cigar, and that includes dropping ashes it into something nicer than a red solo cup. I get that, support that, perhaps envy that, and will never begrudge someone for liking the nice things in life that he or she can afford.

end rant>

Get to the Tray Dave

Bettinardi Cigar Tray - 8.jpg

OK, assuming that we are now down to the target audience, let's talk about just how cool this cigar tray is, aka mega-cool.

The first thing that you will notice when you pick up the tray is that it has some mass to it. Massive amounts of mass actually. I thought that since it's aluminum that it would be light, not quite realizing that it is a lot of aluminum. The hefty heft of the tray really instills a feeling of not just quality, but also longevity. This tray is going nowhere, meaning that you are not going to have a breeze blow it off the table, and that your grandkids will enjoy ashing their retirement cigars into it.

After the apocalypse, there will be cockroaches, and the Bettinardi cigar trays.

Bettinardi Cigar Tray - 10.jpg

Heft aside; I love the lines and contours of the tray. It's not meant to be held, but I found myself rotating it around to look at it from different angles. The milling is so clean, and the level of precision is, well, precise. Having rolled their putters, I wasn't surprised by this, but was still impressed. Also, the bottom of the tray does have little rubber feet so whatever you place it on will be protected from the metal.

Bettinardi Cigar Tray - 11.jpg

Guess what, in addition to being beautiful, it's also totally functional! I have smoked a couple of cigars now using the Bettinardi cigar tray, and it works perfectly for both small and large cigars. Small smokes are easy, they balance on anything, but to push the edge of fit a bit, I smoked The Inch by EP Carrillo. This is one of my favorite cigars currently (super smooth draw and golfable intensity), and more importantly for this review, it's a huge cigar. It's got a massive 7x70 profile, more than enough to topple the average ashtray.

Bettinardi Cigar Tray - 9.jpg

Bettinardi took everything the Inch had to offer, and went meh, thought it would be bigger.

MGS Milled in the Middle

Bettinardi Cigar Tray - 4.jpg

By now you've probably noticed that this tray doesn't have a Bettinardi Hex B in the middle. Instead, Bettinardi milled the sweet new mygolfspy logo there. How cool is that? For many, this is the real dealmaker for the cigar tray. For an extra $30, you can get the tray customized.

So many cool possibilities:

• For your country club
  • For a charity event
  • For a retirement gift
  • For a wedding (aka best groomsman gift ever)
  • For your local cigar shop
  • For the cigar lounge in your backyard

I'm sure that you can come up with even more situations where a customized tray would add to the awesome. There are other colors available too. Once I overcame my sadness at the lack of purple, I went with green since we were designing this right around The Masters.

Nicest Ash In the Room...

Bettinardi Cigar Tray - 3.jpg

So the $200 cigar tray is not for everyone, but for the target audience, it's pretty damn impressive. The tray makes a statement, and could very easily become part of one's cigar smoking ritual. You could ash into anything, but if you have the means and motivation, why not ash that nice cigar into something just as nice.

Find out more at the Bettinardi cigar tray pages:

Hex B Tray Link

Custom Tray Link

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

This item is not for everyone.

attachicon.gifBettinardi Cigar Tray - 1.jpg

Warning you off of a product right at the start of the review seems a poor tactic to get people to actually read the review. Or, maybe it's a clever way to trick you into reading more, tapping into the “you don't tell me what to do” part of your psyche.

Honestly, I wish that I were that clever a writer. In fact, I'm being totally up front in saying that the amazing custom cigar tray from Bettinardi that I'm talking about today really won't be something that appeals to everyone. It's just not that kind of broad market product.

However, for right buyer, it is hugely badass!

100% Milled Ash Catching Aluminum

attachicon.gifBettinardi Cigar Tray - 6.jpg

Bettinardi cigar trays in an assortment of colors, milled from the finest aircraft grade aluminum steel. These cigar trays are as durable as they are beautiful. The mass of the tray is sure to astonish as it weighs in at nearly four pounds! Use these trays in a variety of different ways, and stay classy with the classic Hex B logo.

While many the golfer associates Bettinardi with putters and other more golf-centered products, they have also ventured off into different product areas from time to time. They have milled phone cases (available HERE), pocketknives (I missed that one...), and cigar ashtrays such as the one I have for you today.

attachicon.gifBettinardi Cigar Tray - 7.jpg

The cigar tray has actually been a part of the Bettinardi product line for quite a while, I know, because I have eyed them for a number of years. For me, the massive tray held a certain attraction, and even now I have difficulties pinpointing exactly what that attraction was, I just knew that I wanted one.

An so when I decided to revamp the mygolfspy 19th hole, one of the first companies I reached out to was Bettinardi, needing to see if their milled cigar tray was as cool as I thought it would be.

Short story: Yes it is.

Remember, It May Not Be For You

attachicon.gifBettinardi Cigar Tray - 5.jpg

Before we get too far along, let's address the one thing that is going to be the deal killer for some of you. The price of the trays. The Bettinardi logo cigar tray is $190, with the custom version coming in a bit more at $220.

See, now you're all pissed off at the price and I had tried to warn you that these weren't for everyone. Yes, you can ash your cigar into the Bud Light tall can that you just finished, or even onto the ground, and that'll save you a couple of hundred bucks. Agreed, you can, and if that's your take on this cigar tray, you should do just that and stop reading right now.

I too see the price as expensive, but remember that we are not talking about the price of a gallon of milk here. This cigar tray is 100% luxury item, as is smoking cigars one could argue. Not one person on the planet needs to buy this cigar tray. This is all about want, and sometimes want comes with a price.

attachicon.gifBettinardi Cigar Tray - 2.jpg

Not unlike golf, cigar smoking can be an expensive hobby. The true cigar hobbyist does not find smoke-worthy sticks at the local drugstore, just like the putter aficionado doesn't find bag-worthy flatsticks on the rack in the proshop. The putter metaphor actually works quite well in the cigar arena. Anyone can play golf with a cheap putter, but some golfers find pleasure in playing with something nicer, viewing the increased price as money well spent on their hobby. You may think otherwise, as is your right, but that doesn't make them wrong in liking nice things.

If you have the money, spend it how you like. I know that some cigar hobbyists have a ritual that goes with smoking a fine cigar, and that includes dropping ashes it into something nicer than a red solo cup. I get that, support that, perhaps envy that, and will never begrudge someone for liking the nice things in life that he or she can afford.

end rant>

Get to the Tray Dave

attachicon.gifBettinardi Cigar Tray - 8.jpg

OK, assuming that we are now down to the target audience, let's talk about just how cool this cigar tray is, aka mega-cool.

The first thing that you will notice when you pick up the tray is that it has some mass to it. Massive amounts of mass actually. I thought that since it's aluminum that it would be light, not quite realizing that it is a lot of aluminum. The hefty heft of the tray really instills a feeling of not just quality, but also longevity. This tray is going nowhere, meaning that you are not going to have a breeze blow it off the table, and that your grandkids will enjoy ashing their retirement cigars into it.

After the apocalypse, there will be cockroaches, and the Bettinardi cigar trays.

attachicon.gifBettinardi Cigar Tray - 10.jpg

Heft aside; I love the lines and contours of the tray. It's not meant to be held, but I found myself rotating it around to look at it from different angles. The milling is so clean, and the level of precision is, well, precise. Having rolled their putters, I wasn't surprised by this, but was still impressed. Also, the bottom of the tray does have little rubber feet so whatever you place it on will be protected from the metal.

attachicon.gifBettinardi Cigar Tray - 11.jpg

Guess what, in addition to being beautiful, it's also totally functional! I have smoked a couple of cigars now using the Bettinardi cigar tray, and it works perfectly for both small and large cigars. Small smokes are easy, they balance on anything, but to push the edge of fit a bit, I smoked The Inch by EP Carrillo. This is one of my favorite cigars currently (super smooth draw and golfable intensity), and more importantly for this review, it's a huge cigar. It's got a massive 7x70 profile, more than enough to topple the average ashtray.

attachicon.gifBettinardi Cigar Tray - 9.jpg

Bettinardi took everything the Inch had to offer, and went meh, thought it would be bigger.

MGS Milled in the Middle

attachicon.gifBettinardi Cigar Tray - 4.jpg

By now you've probably noticed that this tray doesn't have a Bettinardi Hex B in the middle. Instead, Bettinardi milled the sweet new mygolfspy logo there. How cool is that? For many, this is the real dealmaker for the cigar tray. For an extra $30, you can get the tray customized.

So many cool possibilities:

• For your country club
  • For a charity event
  • For a retirement gift
  • For a wedding (aka best groomsman gift ever)
  • For your local cigar shop
  • For the cigar lounge in your backyard

I'm sure that you can come up with even more situations where a customized tray would add to the awesome. There are other colors available too. Once I overcame my sadness at the lack of purple, I went with green since we were designing this right around The Masters.

Nicest Ash In the Room...

attachicon.gifBettinardi Cigar Tray - 3.jpg

So the $200 cigar tray is not for everyone, but for the target audience, it's pretty damn impressive. The tray makes a statement, and could very easily become part of one's cigar smoking ritual. You could ash into anything, but if you have the means and motivation, why not ash that nice cigar into something just as nice.

Find out more at the Bettinardi cigar tray pages:

Hex B Tray Link

Custom Tray Link

Looks beautiful!

I'd been eyeing this and their milled putting cup. Milling looks exceptional, I can't say I'm surprised by the heft, the iPhone case I got has a good weight to it too.

Definitely on the radar more so now, costs be damned!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

• SPY VIP

Looks beautiful!

I'd been eyeing this and their milled putting cup. Milling looks exceptional, I can't say I'm surprised by the heft, the iPhone case I got has a good weight to it too.

Definitely on the radar more so now, costs be damned!

Got the putting cup as well. The hex shape makes it a challenging practice tool.

Volvo Intorqueo

It definitely exudes craftsmanship and quality! That would be an excellent add-on for a home bar/man cave!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

• SPY VIP

It definitely exudes craftsmanship and quality! That would be an excellent add-on for a home bar/man cave!

MDGolfHacker

That's where I can see this going for sure. If you have put some cash into a cool man cave, putting a little more into a custom cigar tray seems likely. It's the little touches of cool that finish the project.

Volvo Intorqueo

Pretty cool that they are selling MGS logo products. Like it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Why can't the putting cup and the cigar ash tray... BE THE SAME THING!!! Or, at least be nested together so the top is for ash and the bottom could pull apart to be used as a putting cup. 

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

• SPY VIP

Pretty cool that they are selling MGS logo products. Like it.

It was a custom job. They are not specifically making MGS stuff, instead, they are making custom anything.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

Why can't the putting cup and the cigar ash tray... BE THE SAME THING!!! Or, at least be nested together so the top is for ash and the bottom could pull apart to be used as a putting cup. 

That's a really good idea. Maybe cut one notch or two into the putting cup for cigars.

Volvo Intorqueo

That's a really good idea. Maybe cut one notch or two into the putting cup for cigars.

Exactly! I would be way more likely to buy that than either one of the other products. It's a conversation piece!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

• SPY VIP

Exactly! I would be way more likely to buy that than either one of the other products. It's a conversation piece!

It may just be a phone call/email away. They mill them in house so who knows, you could start a trend.

All custom cigar trays must be ordered by contacting customer relations (CustomerRelations@Bettinardi.com) or calling (708) 802-7400.

Volvo Intorqueo

Archived