TESTERS WANTED! ×

cutting down an iron shaft

It's a 355 shaft going into a 355 head for the wedge.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I don't think it will fit even if you cut it down, you will likely have to cut about 2.5" off the tip and the shaft will likely be much larger than .355 at that section. It's not recommended to cut the .355 taper tip shafts anyway, it will change the entire makeup of he shaft, torque, flex, bend point would all change, it would probably feel like a rigid board while swinging. That's my official take on the project. Personally though, if I didn't care about screwing up the shaft, and was doing the work myself, I would figure what have I got to lose, and try it, the worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't work, but at the same time, it might work and you may like it, but it all depends on whether or not you care if the shaft gets jacked up, because if it doesn't work the. The shaft becomes a short walking stick.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I don't think it will fit even if you cut it down, you will likely have to cut about 2.5" off the tip and the shaft will likely be much larger than .355 at that section. It's not recommended to cut the .355 taper tip shafts anyway, it will change the entire makeup of he shaft, torque, flex, bend point would all change, it would probably feel like a rigid board while swinging. That's my official take on the project. Personally though, if I didn't care about screwing up the shaft, and was doing the work myself, I would figure what have I got to lose, and try it, the worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't work, but at the same time, it might work and you may like it, but it all depends on whether or not you care if the shaft gets jacked up, because if it doesn't work the. The shaft becomes a short walking stick.

I wouldn't have it trimmed from the tip, only the butt. I'm doing none of the work because I have 0 technical ability with this haha nor the time/space for it. Good news is I trust the guy that i'd have do it if I wind up pulling the trigger on the project.

:taylormade-small: R15 10.5 aldila Rogue Silver 60S
:callaway-logo-1: XR 16 3W
:mizuno-small: JPX 825 3H 19°
:taylormade-small: RSi1 irons 4-AW
:callaway-logo-1: MD3 54°
:mizuno-small:  S5 58°
:cameron-small:  X7M

I am curious with this original topic as well since I am looking into making a single length iron set. So I have to bend and alter each head and change weight of each head to match. What would change about the shaft if I have a 3 irons shaft wanting to cut it and install in a 9 iron. I wouldn't be cutting the tip just the butt end.

Driver- Mizuno jpx Ez 9.5(set to low) with Matrix Red tie limited edition masters green with multicompound red platinum 44.5" f3 wood- Adams tight lies 16* Mitsubishi rayon fubuki x flex3-9 irons- Mizuno T-zoid pro irons s300 w sensicores47*, 56* Mizuno s5 wedge white satinPutter- odyssey #9 pro with super stroke 3.0All other clubs have different coloured multi compounds

Maybe if it's a single length iron set

What if it is?

Driver- Mizuno jpx Ez 9.5(set to low) with Matrix Red tie limited edition masters green with multicompound red platinum 44.5" f3 wood- Adams tight lies 16* Mitsubishi rayon fubuki x flex3-9 irons- Mizuno T-zoid pro irons s300 w sensicores47*, 56* Mizuno s5 wedge white satinPutter- odyssey #9 pro with super stroke 3.0All other clubs have different coloured multi compounds

Don't take my advice I have no idea lol

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

Don't take my advice I have no idea lol

Aha okay i was hoping for some there is so much info it's hard to figure out what to do

I wouldn't have it trimmed from the tip, only the butt. I'm doing none of the work because I have 0 technical ability with this haha nor the time/space for it. Good news is I trust the guy that i'd have do it if I wind up pulling the trigger on the project.

The stiffness comes from the butt end of the shaft(yes I know that sounds bad) , you will end up with a flex similar to a jr. club or that of one of those orange whip things, either way, if you don't mind ruining a 4 iron shaft it can be worth a shot because you just don't know sometimes.

It's a 355 shaft going into a 355 head for the wedge.

I'm confused now.  It sounded like your club heads were .370 and now you are saying that the wedge is .355.  Why would you be buying .355 shafts unless all of your clubs are .355?  You buy the .355 shafts specific for each club head, so why would you buy a .355 3-iron shaft unless you were going to use it for a 3-iron?  Buy only the shafts for the clubs you need.  If the wedge is .355, buy a .355 wedge shaft.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm confused now. It sounded like your club heads were .370 and now you are saying that the wedge is .355. Why would you be buying .355 shafts unless all of your clubs are .355? You buy the .355 shafts specific for each club head, so why would you buy a .355 3-iron shaft unless you were going to use it for a 3-iron? Buy only the shafts for the clubs you need. If the wedge is .355, buy a .355 wedge shaft.

I see where it would be confusing. The shafts are .355 and are being sold 3-PW. My irons are .370. I do not carry a 3 iron so I would have an extra shaft. I carry an MD3 wedge and a Mizuno S5 wedge. I'm buying a single 7 iron shaft to demo before buying the whole set. I figured cutting the 7i shaft down to wedge length wasn't too bad so I'd have the extra 3i shaft that I'd try to put to use.

:taylormade-small: R15 10.5 aldila Rogue Silver 60S
:callaway-logo-1: XR 16 3W
:mizuno-small: JPX 825 3H 19°
:taylormade-small: RSi1 irons 4-AW
:callaway-logo-1: MD3 54°
:mizuno-small:  S5 58°
:cameron-small:  X7M

I'm confused too. Anyway, try it cause you never know, but I don't think it will work that good. It will likely feel like a whip since you will be cutting the stiffness out of the shaft when you trim the butt end.

Archived