TESTERS WANTED! ×

USGA/R&A at it again... or still?

Kenny B

The USGA and R&A are considering changes to what information is available to golfers about the greens.  They want the act of green reading to remain an art form.

"The R&A and the USGA believe that a player's ability to read greens is an essential part of the skill of putting," the statement read. "Rule 14-3 limits the use of equipment and devices that might assist a player in their play, based on the principle that golf is a challenging game in which success should depend on the judgment, skills and abilities of the player."

Ian Poulter believes that greens reading books should be banned.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/15258169.Golf__39_s_governing_bodies_raise_concerns_over_use_of_greens_books/

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Ian Poulter can jump in a deep lake with a heavy chain. I agree that green reading should remain an art form, but putting too many restrictions on things like green-reading books or notes might have the opposite effect and make it less of an art form and more of a guess-fest.

What the USGA doesn't get is that golf is supposed to be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

This is one of those times I agree 100% with the USGA. I've played too many tournaments with these young guys that have a 3 inch thick book in their pocket. They consult it on every putt. I've watched a guy spend 2 minutes reading and consulting for an 8 foot putt. He left it 3 feet short and then started the whole process over again. About 1 minute in, the third player in our group said, "It's the same Damn read as last time."

No different than a NFL team watching game tape. These guys are nuts. The rule book is already impossible to comprehend. That's why I follow the Pirates code. Just s set of guidelines. If you followed the rules 100% golf would suck, and there would be 10 hour rounds.

It's just like a play book Gents. If I was playing for millions of dollars I would have one or two. And so would you.

I do agree that they use them Wayyy to much. I think Reed is the worst for its. Read your book, line up and go. Not 200 times per green/shot.

I agree with them. Having essentially topographic map of each green available during each putt is ridiculous. Of course they should have then and study them during practice rounds and in between rounds, but looking at it before every putt is ridiculous.

Poulter has always been a jackass dressed up like a clown. Most people out there know this.

People reading putts for 5 minutes out of a book on the weekend at the local dog track need to join their own league. Lets call it the paralysis by analysis league. We can throw them in with the more money than sense league.

As far as USGA and R&A; Drama by over paid self important baffoons and the educated idiots they are, or deal with all around them, as always.

Its time to walk away from the fools that invade your game or get put in a foresome with you. Afterall, your paying to put up with their stupidity.

And I will add a player cant pick his nose without a caddy telling how and where.

Hogan, Arnie, and the rest had commented on this before and rather mockingly.

It is a case of group think down to the local level for the herd.

IMO: actually golf is a game of skill, it wasn't intended to be a game of fun for the masses.Fun is what you make of it. It's a simple game, start here & try to put in a hole there in the least amount of shots. Play it as it lies. But like everything in life people trying to circumvent the rules so the rule book ends up reading like a attorneys deposition.

The greats of old didn't need books & take all day to play & they shot scores that are similar to today's.

This is my short answer but it does entail more than that.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

IMO: actually golf is a game of skill, it wasn't intended to be a game of fun for the masses.Fun is what you make of it. It's a simple game, start here & try to put in a hole there in the least amount of shots. Play it as it lies. But like everything in life people trying to circumvent the rules so the rule book ends up reading like a attorneys deposition.

The greats of old didn't need books & take all day to play & they shot scores that are similar to today's.

This is my short answer but it does entail more than that.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I had a lapse of reasoning. This is what I meant to say. The greats didn't need them, or 460cc drivers or "forgiving" irons. Well said bulldog!

I find it a bit silly the way some of the players use their yardage books. If you need a totpographic map to read a greeen you are either A) Not going to last very long on the PGA Tour or B) Have all the skills but an awful mental game and you need something or someone to prevent you from second guessing yourself.

The mental side of golf should be and is the hardest part of the game. I really don't think this rule would make much of a difference to players putting stats but I do think it will speed up the game at the tour level. If you're a competitive amateur and you are hauling out your yardage book for every putt, you're a joke.

The USGA and R&A are considering changes to what information is available to golfers about the greens.  They want the act of green reading to remain an art form.

"The R&A and the USGA believe that a player's ability to read greens is an essential part of the skill of putting," the statement read. "Rule 14-3 limits the use of equipment and devices that might assist a player in their play, based on the principle that golf is a challenging game in which success should depend on the judgment, skills and abilities of the player."

Ian Poulter believes that greens reading books should be banned.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/15258169.Golf__39_s_governing_bodies_raise_concerns_over_use_of_greens_books/

I can make an argument that compiling detailed drawings of green complexes is an art form within itself.  I can also make an argument that those books should not be offered for sale or duplicated for another player. In my opinion they should be complied by the player for personal use and not sold on the open market, loaned or given to other competitors.

With that said, the USGA and R&A should stick with honest assessments rather than trying to sell something as "speeding up the game".  This isn't going to speed up play for the masses and will only affect the 1% who are touring professionals and elite amateurs.  The USGA and R&A have, in my opinion, lost sight of what should be their main focal point, the average amateur golfer.

I see now why many people give up or don't start golf to begin with.

Yep exactly this

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have firmly believed that aspects of the game of golf should improved with the times. Golf yardage books have been a great invention for people who don't know a golf course very well or want to collect a piece of memorabilia (some now are 3D looking which is awesome). I'm okay with booklets that show in depth layouts of greens for casual golf or even practice rounds, but we have to draw the line at some point. Here is what I would propose if I had the authority:

A. USGA establishes two sets of rules for "informational books, drawings, or literature" that golfers may use. In this it would dictate that anything is acceptable during non-competitive rounds.

B. For competitive rounds players and caddies are not allowed to look at any booklet, literature, or device to assist them once their ball has come to rest on the fringe or putting surface.

Cheers

Burk

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

Taking the books away will either:

- Speed up play. Not having something to show you a putt may do one thing when your eyes see it might do something else could cause them to not second guess and play the line the golfer and caddy see to begin with.

Or

- Slow play even more because they don't have something to reference so they take extra time in reading the green

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I can make an argument that compiling detailed drawings of green complexes is an art form within itself.  I can also make an argument that those books should not be offered for sale or duplicated for another player. In my opinion they should be complied by the player for personal use and not sold on the open market, loaned or given to other competitors.

With that said, the USGA and R&A should stick with honest assessments rather than trying to sell something as "speeding up the game".  This isn't going to speed up play for the masses and will only affect the 1% who are touring professionals and elite amateurs.  The USGA and R&A have, in my opinion, lost sight of what should be their main focal point, the average amateur golfer.

The greens books are for sale.  If most pros have them, and someone who has never played the course before doesn't, they are at a distinct disadvantage.  So they have to buy one.  The other option is to ban their use all together.

They can be made/used during practice rounds; they can be made before a tournament by the caddie or pro.  To me it's information that is generally available and if they want to create a book with that information, go for it.  More difficult when multiple courses are played like ATT Pebble Beach Pro-Am or CareerBuilder Challenge.

Pros are taking a long time to read putts, but I don't think these books are slowing down play.  They have 40 sec to hit the ball.  Spend the time reading the putt, or spend it all reading a book; makes no difference to me.  Longer than 40 sec = "on the clock" warning.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The greens books are for sale.  If most pros have them, and someone who has never played the course before doesn't, they are at a distinct disadvantage.  So they have to buy one.  The other option is to ban their use all together.

They can be made/used during practice rounds; they can be made before a tournament by the caddie or pro.  To me it's information that is generally available and if they want to create a book with that information, go for it.  More difficult when multiple courses are played like ATT Pebble Beach Pro-Am or CareerBuilder Challenge.

Pros are taking a long time to read putts, but I don't think these books are slowing down play.  They have 40 sec to hit the ball.  Spend the time reading the putt, or spend it all reading a book; makes no difference to me.  Longer than 40 sec = "on the clock" warning.

I get they are for sale but should they be?  I am not sure of the answer, just stating that I can make an argument against the sale of detailed books.  I also believe experience shouldn't play a factor in that decision.  

Everyone begins a career at a disadvantage to some degree as the old adage suggests, "youth is wasted on the young".  If an inexperienced player should qualify, the keys to the kingdom shouldn't just be handed over or available for purchase.  Said player should have to learn how to prepare.  It's a big part of the professional game.  I am a fan of younger players seeking out advice from older players just not using their yardage and green complex diagrams.  

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime!

Bifurcation solves all of this. One set of rules for competition, another set for every day play

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I get they are for sale but should they be?  I am not sure of the answer, just stating that I can make an argument against the sale of detailed books.  I also believe experience shouldn't play a factor in that decision.  

Everyone begins a career at a disadvantage to some degree as the old adage suggests, "youth is wasted on the young".  If an inexperienced player should qualify, the keys to the kingdom shouldn't just be handed over or available for purchase.  Said player should have to learn how to prepare.  It's a big part of the professional game.  I am a fan of younger players seeking out advice from older players just not using their yardage and green complex diagrams.  

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime!

I agree with you.  I don't really care if they are for sale or not.  They can be made by anyone because the information; i.e., general observation, is readily available.  The issue is use.  All tour players can read greens or they wouldn't be on tour.  So, is using a reference generated from a practice round that might instill confidence in the read of a putt breaking an age old rule of the art of putting?

Bifurcation solves all of this. One set of rules for competition, another set for every day play

Everyday players will most likely not have greens books anyway, although I considered it when I moved to a new course last year!  It took me several months to understand the breaks on some of our greens.  Would I make one now?  No, because I would probably never use it.

They are an interesting item even for your pros. The guys sit there trying to figure out where they are on the book based on where their ball lies. They are trying to determine which sprinkler head they are closest and then read the contour. I don't think they should be banned on tour, just because you know which way a putt is breaking doesn't mean you make it. I would love to play a casual round with one to see how I change and if I make anything lol. As KennyB said, the everyday guy will never have access or use them. Might be a decent item for courses to look into tho

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

I'd ban the green books. I hate it when I see a guy reading a putt and then at the last second he flips open his clipboard to take one more peek. Gimme a break.

Get up there, look around and stroke the putt will ya.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'd ban the green books. I hate it when I see a guy reading a putt and then at the last second he flips open his clipboard to take one more peek. Gimme a break.

Get up there, look around and stroke the putt will ya.

40 sec... I don't care what he does.  If it's longer than 40 sec, penalize him.

Not really about the rules thing but if you don't follow Poults on twitter you really should it's comical. 

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

2 words....practice round.

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

A yardage/greens book is not a performance enhancing drug. The worst thing that can happen is someone gets a paper cut.

Would you want a police officer writing you a ticket without referring to the law? Or the guy building your house to not read the blue prints? Or the dude who put your car tires on not to read the torque specs?

If it's made by the player for that same player. What is the harm?

Archived