USGA/R&A at it again... or still?

Our Sponsors

Bifurcation solves all of this. One set of rules for competition, another set for every day play

• Like 2

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I get they are for sale but should they be?  I am not sure of the answer, just stating that I can make an argument against the sale of detailed books.  I also believe experience shouldn't play a factor in that decision.  

Everyone begins a career at a disadvantage to some degree as the old adage suggests, "youth is wasted on the young".  If an inexperienced player should qualify, the keys to the kingdom shouldn't just be handed over or available for purchase.  Said player should have to learn how to prepare.  It's a big part of the professional game.  I am a fan of younger players seeking out advice from older players just not using their yardage and green complex diagrams.  

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime!

I agree with you.  I don't really care if they are for sale or not.  They can be made by anyone because the information; i.e., general observation, is readily available.  The issue is use.  All tour players can read greens or they wouldn't be on tour.  So, is using a reference generated from a practice round that might instill confidence in the read of a putt breaking an age old rule of the art of putting?

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Bifurcation solves all of this. One set of rules for competition, another set for every day play

Everyday players will most likely not have greens books anyway, although I considered it when I moved to a new course last year!  It took me several months to understand the breaks on some of our greens.  Would I make one now?  No, because I would probably never use it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

They are an interesting item even for your pros. The guys sit there trying to figure out where they are on the book based on where their ball lies. They are trying to determine which sprinkler head they are closest and then read the contour. I don't think they should be banned on tour, just because you know which way a putt is breaking doesn't mean you make it. I would love to play a casual round with one to see how I change and if I make anything lol. As KennyB said, the everyday guy will never have access or use them. Might be a decent item for courses to look into tho

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

<p>Knoxville, TN 4 Hdcp Ping G30 9deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Nike Vapor rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, 60 TM spider with 1.0 super stroke</p>

I'd ban the green books. I hate it when I see a guy reading a putt and then at the last second he flips open his clipboard to take one more peek. Gimme a break.

Get up there, look around and stroke the putt will ya.

• Like 1

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'd ban the green books. I hate it when I see a guy reading a putt and then at the last second he flips open his clipboard to take one more peek. Gimme a break.

Get up there, look around and stroke the putt will ya.

40 sec... I don't care what he does.  If it's longer than 40 sec, penalize him.

• Like 1

Not really about the rules thing but if you don't follow Poults on twitter you really should it's comical. 

• Like 2

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

2 words....practice round.

• Like 1

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

A yardage/greens book is not a performance enhancing drug. The worst thing that can happen is someone gets a paper cut.

Would you want a police officer writing you a ticket without referring to the law? Or the guy building your house to not read the blue prints? Or the dude who put your car tires on not to read the torque specs?

If it's made by the player for that same player. What is the harm?

• Like 1

I mean it's not like they're deflating the golf balls or something.... BTW I'm a Pats fan.

• Like 2

Agree in principle, not in practice. I hate it when that happens.

• Like 1

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I'm sure the books help but I do wonder exactly how many strokes per round they are saving the players. Putting is so speed dependent that I don't think anyone is going to get a perfect "solution" to a put.

As long as the players hit their shot in the 40 seconds or however long they have, I don't care too much. At least until I see some data that tells me it's making a big difference.

• Like 1

I had a lapse of reasoning. This is what I meant to say. The greats didn't need them, or 460cc drivers or "forgiving" irons. Well said bulldog!

YEP, Well said all.

Greg, push it right under pressure, Norman as well as Seve were 300 all day with a persimmon!

• Like 1