TESTERS WANTED! ×

back yard putting green

I would love to put a small putting green in my back yard. I have a hill and a flat area at the top that's just wasted space. No idea of cost or what's involved in a project like this? also what for the winter would you need to tarp it?

Any suggestions or advice would be amazing.  

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

3W & 5W - Taylormade aeroburner 

Irons - Cobra Amp cell 4-GW 

Wedge - Titleist Volky 60deg

Putter - Odyssey V-7 tank superstoke long grip

My Dad did this when we were younger.  It's a BIG commitment from a maintenance perspective.  He wound up making a deal with a local greenskeeper to get a hand push (manual) mower.  Had to cut it every day and roll it often.  Are you up for that? 

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

I was thinking of doing the same thing (putting green) but using artificial turf instead. No mowing, etc.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I'm dying to put one in my side yard but obviously would go with synthetic green, there are so many to choose from depending on the type of grass and speed, I've seen some very nice ones that rival a country club putting green. Tour greens/ southwest greens / pro green are just a few out there that do very good synthetics. Hopefully we can both get this done sooner than later. Good luck and let us know what you wind up doing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

My Dad did this when we were younger.  It's a BIG commitment from a maintenance perspective.  He wound up making a deal with a local greenskeeper to get a hand push (manual) mower.  Had to cut it every day and roll it often.  Are you up for that? 

i can if i'm doing it out of real grass, not sure if that's the way to go or artificial.

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

I'm dying to put one in my side yard but obviously would go with synthetic green, there are so many to choose from depending on the type of grass and speed, I've seen some very nice ones that rival a country club putting green. Tour greens/ southwest greens / pro green are just a few out there that do very good synthetics. Hopefully we can both get this done sooner than later. Good luck and let us know what you wind up doing.

Do you have a source for the different artificial grasses?

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I think artificial would be the best way to go. I've been working at a golf course for a few years now and all the work that goes in to maintaining a good green takes time and patience that takes a special type of person haha

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

Do you have a source for the different artificial grasses?

Aside from the online companies I mentioned above there are some higher end landscaping companies that do putting greens around my area but I haven't gotten that far yet unfortunately.

I used to work at a private golf course here in my area so the work is not a concern of mine it's just the winter that i'm worried about here in Canada.

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking at doing this project next summer as well!  I'm using artificial turf for sure.  Youtube has some good tips a couple of videos I have found that I will use as a resource are below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY_hgT9DCHc&index=5&list=FLclenl0czSZdrE9PbJffNRQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVe0n8_eO5Q&index=2&list=FLclenl0czSZdrE9PbJffNRQ

If you end up doing one, share some pics and tricks

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged     :cleveland-small: Wedges   :taylormade-small: M1 Driver   Tour Edge E7 Beta 3 wood and hybrid   :taylormade-small: Putter

That's awesome! love the help from everyone. still in the planning stages, I have to remove a few trees that my wife will not be happy about....

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

That's awesome! love the help from everyone. still in the planning stages, I have to remove a few trees that my wife will not be happy about....

You should leave the trees in, you know, to practice those behind the tree shots, lol. I know I can use that practice...

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

The best backyard putting green I ever had belonged to my best friend. Same with the boat and pool.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

And the dog?

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

• 4 months later...

I've had an artificial green for almost 2 years, looks the same as the day it was laid, no maintenance, works well, can chip and putt and the kids love it.attachicon.gifIMG_0909.JPG

Bee gee

Can you share where you purchased the 'green' mat. That's a project for me next spring.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

That might be a bit pricey (from AUS to the states). Guess I'll just google it for local distributors.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I've had an artificial green for almost 2 years, looks the same as the day it was laid, no maintenance, works well, can chip and putt and the kids love it.attachicon.gifIMG_0909.JPG

Did you install It? How big is It?

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged     :cleveland-small: Wedges   :taylormade-small: M1 Driver   Tour Edge E7 Beta 3 wood and hybrid   :taylormade-small: Putter

I eventually want to add a putting green to my back yard, but I want to do it myself as well. There are a number of companies that will put together everything you need to install it yourself. I have been looking at these green kits for while, just need to save my pennies for it.

https://www.golfgearbox.com/collections/designer-series-putting-greens

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

• 4 years later...
On 5/4/2017 at 1:33 PM, mtisdale said:

I would love to put a small putting green in my back yard. I have a hill and a flat area at the top that's just wasted space. No idea of cost or what's involved in a project like this? also what for the winter would you need to tarp it?

Any suggestions or advice would be amazing.  

Sure, we created a cost calculator for putting green projects https://www.installartificial.com/cost-calculator

I installed two greens. One at my last house and one at my current house. Almost all the synthetic turf companies will send you a small sample if you ask. Find the one you like before ordering blindly.

My first green was 15 feet wide by 25 feet long. I took the sample I liked then went to a discount carpet store that also sold indoor /outdoor turf. I matched it up perfectly and cost me far less than getting it from a turf specialty company. It also had a thick carpet type base not a rubber or vinyl base. It held up until I moved some 7 years later. No fade and still there when I left. This was an infill type and I used sand it did compact over time but it didn't matter as it was a chip and putt location.

My second one was bigger, 24' wide by 35' deep. I used turf that was supposed to hold 150 yard shots. This was great for the first 6 or 7 years. Then the infill compacted and it wouldn't hold a 100 yard shot. Then mold issues were becoming a big problem. I actually tore it out this spring after 15 years. No fade and in was in direct sunlight.  The base and cups are still in great shape. I just can't decide what I want to do with it right now.

You have two big decisions, putting and light chipping only or something that will hold approaches. For the first one I would suggest a non infill type of turf. For the second you have no choice but to use a thicker turf that you infill to absorb the impact. Make sure you purchase the black and green rubber infill. This won't compact like a sand infill will. That was my mistake. This was not readily available then. 

Biggest advice I can give you, take your time, get the base right. A bad base will give you a bad green. I built my bases, used a compactor and  let them sit a few days. Then rolled them and watered them every day for two weeks. After the first few days you can actually putt on the base. You can still push broom the base material to create breaks and perfect the putting surface. Once satisfied then put the cups in. Roll the turf out and let it sit for a few days. You want the turf to flatten out and settle before you cut the turf out of the hole locations.

I'll see If I can dig up some pictures. Any questions feel free to ask. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

When Tropical Storm Elsa hit Key West it seemed like it was going to be no big deal.  Except when a neighbor's huge Spanish lime tree branch decided to snap taking all of our landscaping with it.  It took four guys 2.5 days to clear the overall damage.  The once shaded back yard was no longer.  But, out of catastrophe comes opportunity.  

With a clean slate, my wife wanted a small dipping pool in our small Old Town yard.  Knowing I had a little leverage here, I said OK, but I wanted to put in a small (12' x 8') outdoor artificial putting green.  We both agreed with each other's request and the fun started.   We now have the pool design, permits in hand and are in the final stages on completing our pool contract.  I didn't want to get too deep into the putting green until we had the location of the pool finalized and we were close to beginning excavation.

After looking at various alternatives and seeking out putting green installers willing to travel to the end of the world to Key West for a relatively small job, the one option that seems the best was the Pro Putt System putting greens with the plastic base panels.  They can be used indoors as well as out, they seem easier to install (only a two inch compacted fine gravel base and geo textile fabric under the plastic base) and could be moved if necessary.  Our landscaper who will be replacing the landscaping is familiar with putting greens, so this type of green installation should be easier for him.

So I'm reaching out to the collective knowledge of the forum to see if anyone has installed a Pro Putt System or other plastic base putting green system and how it worked out for them.  Thank you in advance.

On a side note, I already have a great addition to the green that hasn't been installed yet.  One of our men's league players knew I was working on installing a putting green and brought me back a Masters golf pin flag from his trip to Augusta for this year's tournament.  I have the best golf buddies!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4