TESTERS WANTED! ×

Titleist JP wedges is absurd

I just read the article posted about the new JP Wedges from Titleist......for the "common golfer" this concept is rubbish in my opinion. For example, the fitting and three wedges costs me $2000 plus my airfare and lodging to fly to California (probably another $1500). So now I'm up to $1000 / wedge hahahaha.

Why can't the golf industry produce more affordable products? The companies argue that the materials and technology needed to produce the clubs is so much more expensive. But when the average bag life of a wedge for players is a year or two, my Lord that is ridiculous. Not when Titleist is constantly behind the game in advances (for example, moving the weight in a wedge to shift cg).

Plus Bob Vokey is the man at Titleist for wedges. Now if you came to us and said we have a great forged wedge with a fitting option for $100 each, people would listen 👍. The biggest problem in this whole thing is Titleist blew hundreds of thousands of dollars for several years of R&D to come out with a wedge line for the top 5%.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is very much like the PXG level of equipment. I would never spend that on wedges as I can get excellent quality for 150 a wedge or less. But some people will pay this amount and that is up to them 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

As I posted in the blog, I think it's a great thing.  Does that mean, I'll sign up next week.  Nope, can't afford it right now. .  But I'll go to my oft used car reference.  Just because I cant' afford a specially ordered BMW or Mercedes with a lot of personal touches, doesn't mean I don't appreciate it or they should not sell them, because I can't have it.  Or I recentl inquired with my Tailor about the cost of a custom made suit from him, he makes them in his shop by hand.   It was about $1800, more than I pay for my typical suit.  But nice to know it's there if I need it and I'm sure it would fit me a hell of a lot better than the one from Nordstrom.  Just as these wedges from JP would fit me a lot better than the Vokey SM6, which by the way, are incredible enough!!

I think what you're paying for here is a personal one one one customized experienced not offered to this level anywhere else.  So I have no problem with the cost or the offerings.   I hope it's a success for Titleist and they continue to do it where I might consider it.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I've been waiting for this thread to pop up.

This is like getting mad at luxury and exotic car makers for not producing cheap cars.

Spoiler alert: You're not in their target market

Damn!!  You beat me to the luxury car comp, while I was typing...LOL

By this logic, we should also hate public golf courses that charge a lot to play on.  Damn you Pebble Beach!

I do hate that  :D

Am I the target audience for these wedges?  Hell no!!  I wish I were though; either good enough to be able to tell the difference between this fitted wedge and my current SCORs, or rich enough to not care and buy them anyway.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I think it's great, why not if you have the means, there are plenty of cheap/ affordable/ OEM options, this is just another custom option, @jlukes good comparison to the exotic/ luxury car market.

I'm in the plumbing industry and trust me when I tell you, there is the under $100 toilet all the way to the over $5000 toilet.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I'm in the plumbing industry and trust me when I tell you, there is the under $100 toilet all the way to the over $5000 toilet.

I'd hate to be the custom fitter for the $5,000 toilet line...if you get my drift  :D

Space ships man. Hollow... nothing like his original stuff. It's Titleist putting JP on something to sell it. Just don't care for it.

Have you hit them? How do you know how they feel?  He wouldn't put his name on it if he didn't believe in the product.

If you read the articles, they definitely aren't "putting JP on something to sell it."

If you don't like how it looks, that is fine - but don't question JP's integrity or the feel of the club without understanding everything first

How anyone can make a judgement about these wedges without hitting them is beyond me...  

I'm gonna quote Steve Martin. "Criticize things you don't know about. Be Oblong and have your knees removed"

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

You got it buddy. Just not sure why you feel the need to always discredit everything I say, by personally attacking my opinion. I was looking for his original stuff this ain't it. I do not like it, end of story.

Huge let down! Just like TM "irons" week.

How was that week a let down?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Like I said I was really looking forward to this day. I had an order ready to go for a set of his wedges when he was solo. Wasn't trying to question his integrity. I've been waiting for him to come out the dark forever! I'm sure they are his designs. Just the looks aren't for me. And last I checked I AM entitled to have an opinion. I am sure they perform amazing, I can't wait for reviews. But they'll have to grow on me, as of today I am not a fan. So there ya go.

I just dont care. If you want ot charge a million for some damn wedges charge a million. I wont buy them. Trust me if I had the cash to blow id probably go. Not because of the wedges themselves but because the experience sounds fun. Im a club junkie. I like the science and how a slight change can make a huge difference. Seeing how we can tweak the bounce by a half degree would be awesome  

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

This isn't just another high end golf product.  Three years went into the R&D of not only the head but also the fitting system.  At $2000, you're getting fit for a set of three wedges on what will be recognized as the most advanced and comprehensive fitting system in golf.  Not only fit, but fit by the guy that designed the head as well as the fitting system. It's probably about a four hours process. Then, the same guy will build them to your specs by hand while manipulating the internal weighting system so they are completely customized to you.  From start to finish, there is no other service offered like this in golf, to this extent.  All by the same guy, one by one.  That guy is JP.

Having been through the JP Wedges fitting at TPI, I can tell you that the experience is priced accurately.  Is it expensive?  Yes it is.  But the average consumer cannot make a phone call to an OEM and get what he is offering.

OT7A7419_zpsgioro2ag.jpg
Posted Image

Great stuff, Zinger.

Just sent you a tweet, but if you could answer here as well, it would be great:

If you didn't know beforehand that the wedge body was hollow, would you have surmised it was based on the feel?

Great stuff, Zinger.

Just sent you a tweet, but if you could answer here as well, it would be great:

If you didn't know beforehand that the wedge body was hollow, would you have surmised it was based on the feel?

It feels as solid as a forged wedge.  The weighting system and bonding of the Titanium plate pressed on.  Think of it not as hollow, it's just a thin rear plate which permits the manipulation of swing weight and CG location.  The plate is extremely light.  You're hitting a forged wedge not a game improvement iron.

Posted Image

It feels as solid as a forged wedge.  The weighting system and bonding of the Titanium plate pressed on.  Think of it not as hollow, it's just a thin rear plate which permits the manipulation of swing weight and CG location.  The plate is extremely light.  You're hitting a forged wedge not a game improvement iron.

Just as I thought - love how it allows JP to manipulate where he puts certain weight throughout the head.  Makes every wedge he makes literally one of a kind.  

When do you unveil the set you ended up with?

Archived