TESTERS WANTED! ×

Titleist JP wedges is absurd

Just as I thought - love how it allows JP to manipulate where he puts certain weight throughout the head.  Makes every wedge he makes literally one of a kind.  

When do you unveil the set you ended up with?

I don't have them in hand yet, but I will post pics if you want to see them.

Posted Image

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Swing the wedge and the ball goes into the hole every single time, right?

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

I don't have them in hand yet, but I will post pics if you want to see them.

Any idea if there will be more offerings from his shop? Or is his main focus this design?

I was hoping for his extended grooves and square leading edge. Do the pictures not show this or am I not seeing it?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Any idea if there will be more offerings from his shop? Or is his main focus this design?

I was hoping for his extended grooves and square leading edge. Do the pictures not show this or am I not seeing it?

They are the same spin milled groves that are on the latest Vokeys.

Posted Image

• SPY VIP

How anyone can make a judgement about these wedges without hitting them is beyond me...  

I'm gonna quote Steve Martin. "Criticize things you don't know about. Be Oblong and have your knees removed"

I'd love to hit these and go through the fitting. Product looks amazing, but I'm no closer to that than buying a new G Wagon. Still, I look forward to seeing the ones that Zinger has coming, just like I look forward to seeing sweet rides on the road.

And Nic, why don't you go put a live chicken in your underwear. :D

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

For the life of me I've never understood the concept of the "average golfer" or the " common golfer."

So this is $2k for the experience, it is what it is. It doesn't mean you can't buy, or OEM's can't sell, less expensive wedges. You want a $150 Wedge - they're out there. You want a $100 Wedge? They're out there. So are $59 wedges.

It's a bell curve - lots in the middle , some on the low end and some on the high end. These are on the high end for folks who can or want to pay the price. Not a thing wrong with that.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I am super excited to find these in a few years to try our used. They are growing on me a little, but there is no way I would buy these new. I'd be extremely p.oed if I hit the unexpected rock in the bunker or just under the fairway and destroyed that sole/face.

I am super excited to find these in a few years to try our used. They are growing on me a little, but there is no way I would buy these new. I'd be extremely p.oed if I hit the unexpected rock in the bunker or just under the fairway and destroyed that sole/face.

I feel like if you have enough money to go thru this fitting plus travel you most likely will not be worried about hitting a rock or something in their use.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Shank-I've never had a bad lie. What's it like?

Posted Image

I feel like if you have enough money to go thru this fitting plus travel you most likely will not be worried about hitting a rock or something in their use.

Yeah you're probably right but I could afford his wedges when he was still solo I can't now.

I'm sure they're the best thing since sliced bread.

I wish I were consistent enough to make use of that level of fitting. I would need a brand new custom fitting about once a week to keep up with the lost wanderings of my swing. I should just buy every bounce angle of every loft for a lot less $

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I wish I were consistent enough to make use of that level of fitting. I would need a brand new custom fitting about once a week to keep up with the lost wanderings of my swing. I should just buy every bounce angle of every loft for a lot less $

Hahaha! This^^^^^^ would be me

The fitter would say didn't we just dial those in! I'd say yup but this is a different week cuz

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Very cool :D  At my level of game, the $150 wedges are just fine for me :D

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Those do look sharp!

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Two things:

1: As I already stated on the blog, I am willing to be a tester of these for MGS! Put me in, coach!

2: So everybody is going bonkers about the price. I get that but break everything down and what are you getting? You get three, super high end, custom made clubs to start with. That alone could justify the price (how much would the cost be for a custom made Evnroll or Bettinardi? How much for three of them?!) but you're not just getting three awesome clubs. You're paying for a one of a kind experience. You're paying to get the same kind of treatment a tour pro gets. This isn't just a fitting, it's PGA tour fantasy camp! 

You spend three hours with one of the best wedge guys in the game, you're on the trackman, you're using 30,000 FPS high speed cameras to analyze your swing and then the guy goes and grinds out a set of wedges for you? Unless you're a tour pro, and industry big wig or a millionaire you can not access that. Honestly, I'm a little surprised it isn't more. 

The fact is, there are a lot of really wealthy golfers out there. If you watch the ads on a televised golf event it's always luxury cars, roles and financial management companies. They pay thousands of dollars for fancy camps and clinics all the time. They pay tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars to be members at fancy clubs. $2k to pretend you're Tiger Woods getting fitted by Titleist's wedge guy? That's nothing.

For the record, this is also one of the reasons I love MGS; it's populated by real people who for the most part will never get to do stuff like this. Really rich people can be kinda boring. How much fun would the forum be if it was just 50 dudes comparing which build they got on a PXG bag? 

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

Well said Dang3r -

The price is high for us mortals that have many bills to pay. I had an order all set to go on JP's website and had a conversation with him a long time ago.

I waited to pull the trigger and I am kicking myself now. When I first heard of him I read a review of his wedges on "Independent Golf Reviews" I am putting the link up so everyone can see what I am talking about.

http://www.independentgolfreviews.com/james-patrick-wedges1.html

I was dead set on these being the "forever" wedges. I understand that an opportunity to work for one of the biggest brands in the game is enticing and the amount of funding for R&D is way way more than a small shop could scrounge up.

I am still fond of his stuff. I just wish I would have bought them 4 years ago like I had planned. And if Titleist ever sells that JP hat I will own one.... so I can be a poser.

I see a lot of similar lines and the weighting from the old stuff making it to the new ones. Maybe in the future we'll see some one offs. I do know Titleist got the attention of A LOT of people with this announcement.

Hahaha! This^^^^^^ would be me

The fitter would say didn't we just dial those in! I'd say yup but this is a different week cuz

The average hack like my self has very consistent swing. It's consistently bad but consist nonetheless. Common misconception.

Posted Image

I think it looks like an incredible experience like dang3rtown said. For someone that can afford it and they want the best possible wedge fitting, why not?

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Good to see the guy wasn't just bought out to get patents or a competitor out the game (yes I am aware Titleist has a larger market share)

I've never heard of the guy before nor did I ever see any of his wedges, looking at his older stuff just reminds me of edel with more color options.

No use in getting worked up over the price, they don't look like $500 wedges to me, but he's working with you 100% of the time. Like people have said they are looking for a specific market.

It was a good read on a Friday.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Good to see the guy wasn't just bought out to get patents or a competitor out the game (yes I am aware Titleist has a larger market share)

I've never heard of the guy before nor did I ever see any of his wedges, looking at his older stuff just reminds me of edel with more color options.

No use in getting worked up over the price, they don't look like $500 wedges to me, but he's working with you 100% of the time. Like people have said they are looking for a specific market.

It was a good read on a Friday.

He did a stint with Edel. Touchy subject.

Archived