Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Titleist JP wedges is absurd

I'm just glad Titleist didn't go the Cameron route with wedges.  Then they'd be Ping knock off's and cost 5k for a set of 3.  I think the Jp wedges look beautiful, but I would drop 6 bills on some k-grind Miuras before I would go 2k for these...Truth is I won't own either...because um...I like buying used stuff on ebay cough cough.

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just glad Titleist didn't go the Cameron route with wedges. Then they'd be Ping knock off's and cost 5k for a set of 3. I think the Jp wedges look beautiful, but I would drop 6 bills on some k-grind Miuras before I would go 2k for these...Truth is I won't own either...because um...I like buying used stuff on ebay cough cough.

Got my irons used. Have a hard time buying used wedges. I am a wedge fanatic, yet to find the rights ones though. Nothing wrong with used equipment. Especially the "mint" stuff that has been hit once or twice.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

If you think the shoe fits and that's what you will wear to improve your gait and it won't leave you living on the street..then go for this right of priviledge. However there is indeed truth to the fact it is a poor carpenter that blames his tools, just saying.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

zinger- great write up o the JP website. Those wedges

Look damn sweet

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Have you hit them? How do you know how they feel? He wouldn't put his name on it if he didn't believe in the product.

If you read the articles, they definitely aren't "putting JP on something to sell it."

If you don't like how it looks, that is fine - but don't question JP's integrity or the feel of the club without understanding everything first

Ok @jlukes can you please stick to legit comments that pertain to thread content and not the person posting it? If I didn't have good Christian beliefs I would have lit you up just now and probably got reprimanded by Barbajo and Meyer in 5 minutes.

I have fallen in love with MGS community and it's openness, but you're being a jerk with a lot of your posts. Just on principal alone, with the way you go at guys like Shankster you're diminishing the quality of every thread you participate in.

Can you please for all of us just stick to posting about the actual comment and not the person posting it?

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

Call me unimpressed because of the titanium backplate.  I would rather see pressed in tungsten, especially if these are truly bespoke wedges.  I'm guessing more likely there is a cavity inside being hidden by the plate, as this would be a far easier way to create gravity placement than grinding, balancing, and pressing weights as needed.  It also makes me believe that his prior wedges probably had as much or more custom work.  It will be interesting to see if he posts these "custom" wedges for the clients.  

I also fear that we will continue to see more obscene high dollar gear surface that will be used to increase profit margins.  If this translates to courses, we are looking at a fundamental shift in price points across the sport.  More and more courses are going to suffer if they try to survive this way and it will create another death spiral in the industry as a greater divide occurs between the upper echelon and the muni golfer.  

It will be interesting to see if these are embraced by/given to Titleist staffers and PGA Tour golfers on request or if they will continue to push the Vokes on them.  

Tour Issue Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero 9° / Graphite Design P9003 TX  OR  Tour Issue Taylormade M1 430 9.5° / Graphite Design P9003 TX                        

Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX                    Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Project X T1100 95g 6.5

Tour Issue Titleist 915Hd 17.5° / Graphite Design DI-105 X                                Tour Issue Callaway BB Alpha 815 18° / Graphite Design DI-105 X

Scratch AR-1 v2 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                                        Raw Bridgestone J15CB 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7

Scratch FIT 54°DS and 60°DS / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                            Bettinardi H2 Forged 54° and 60° / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7        

Rotating 8802 style putters

My first take was disappointment because I really liked the looks of these wedges, liked what I read and am in the market for new wedges. But then I saw what I had to do to get a set and am not willing to spend the money. But I will say that it's a no brainer to get 4 for $2500, so that amount on top of flight and hotel, I'd be looking at $3500 for wedges, which wear out quicker than most clubs. So I was disappointed and a little agitated that there are trends out there to throw out these exorbitant prices in a very 1980's-esque marketing scheme that the higher the price something is, the better the quality.

After further reflection, however, I'd say it's a nice option, getting fitted by someone like JP for that amount of time. Not every OEM has the capability or desire to provide this, but It seems like JP is willing to personalize the experience so those that get his wedges have a thorough understanding of them and how their swing relates to them.

With that said, is anyone on here planning to spend their money on this? And yeah, I get the whole, this for guys in a higher tax bracket, but for those guys there are already lots of high end options, for those even interested in that kind of thing.

I think JP is trying to provide a unique experience and I think that's great. If I won 5k at a craps table at some point, I'd consider doing it. For now, I hope down the road these wedges, or a version of them, become available OTR.

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

You're welcome, I'm glad we could open a dialogue on it. Hopefully everyone will cheer up going forward

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

You're a good man  burk!    

I wanted to whup ya arse a while back however now we could be  family..... 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I'm with most others on this development. I'm nowhere near the target buyer here but maybe someday I could be! There's definitely a market out there for this experience and maybe I'll be in that market after many years of saving, but all in all I really like the idea and hope it pays off for Titleist!

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

Golf is like cycling. You can spend any amount of money you want on it. Is a jp wedge going to let me hit it closer to the hole? Probably not as much as if I had taken that 2 grand and spent it on lessons and time at the range. That said, people like whiney things, and that is ok.

Sent from my VS987 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in the Bag:

Driver - Titleist TS2 11.5, Diamana 70 Stiff Flex

FW - Callaway Razr X 3 Wood

Rescue - Taylormade Rocketballz 4 Rescue

Irons - Callaway Apex CF19, Nippon S. Pro 1050 GH, Stiff Flex

Wedges - Titleist Vokey S4 48, 52, 56, and 60

Putter - Odyssey OWorks Marxman

I challenge JP to build a set up wedges that could better my short game.  It's on like donkey kong!

Cleveland

I challenge JP to build a set up wedges that could better my short game. It's on like donkey kong!

I think he could. Just wish it was the old stuff. That was artwork. This new stuff is probably the bees knees, but I every time I think of not ordering those things when I had a chance!

- Alan

I think he could. Just wish it was the old stuff. That was artwork. This new stuff is probably the bees knees, but I every time I think of not ordering those things when I had a chance!

- Alan

Yea obviously JP has some serious skills.....   I totally wish him the best of luck with his new journey

Cleveland

I do not know if this is a dumb question, but can someone enlighten me on who JP is? 

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

It would be nice to see these in hand, but I don't see that happening soon.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

I do not know if this is a dumb question, but can someone enlighten me on who JP is?

A mythical unicorn man that has been in hiding for a long time. He had worked in many small shops and had his own little own before landing at Titleist.

It's a great day for his fans to see his stuff again!

- Alan

Archived