TESTERS WANTED! ×

Titleist JP wedges is absurd

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just stupidly stunning. Rare to see someone have their left brain and right brain so in sync with eachother

Edit: I was referring to the wedges.

Edit again: Ok, and SZ too

Thought this was my autobiography forward.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Posted Image

Thank you, Sir.

Wow, great piece and an incredible story!

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

Those would go great with my gold plated irons I just got from PXG!

I will not knock Titleist or JP for this, but there is absolutely no way I would ever spend $2000 on custom wedges when I can get a whole set of irons fit professionally for less than that. I just can't see paying that for the most oft replaced clubs in my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SPY VIP

Those would go great with my gold plated irons I just got from PXG!

I will not knock Titleist or JP for this, but there is absolutely no way I would ever spend $2000 on custom wedges when I can get a whole set of irons fit professionally for less than that. I just can't see paying that for the most oft replaced clubs in my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the "I'm not going to knock them, but..." basically I replace my wedges too often to spend that much on them.  If there's no way you'd ever spend that on a set of wedges, then you're not the person Titleist is after. I don't get why it's hard for people to really embrace this dynamic w/o sliding in comments like "there's no way I'd ever pay that..." 

Either buy them or don't - without prejudice.

I love the "I'm not going to knock them, but..." basically I replace my wedges too often to spend that much on them. If there's no way you'd ever spend that on a set of wedges, then you're not the person Titleist is after. I don't get why it's hard for people to really embrace this dynamic w/o sliding in comments like "there's no way I'd ever pay that..."

Either buy them or don't - without prejudice.

Yeah i really am not getting all the negativity regarding the price, the actual club maker fits you and personally builds these for you, does no one get this is an experience and not just 3 wedges???? If you want 3 off the rack wedges there are plenty of options.

The Beginning:https://www.mygolfspy.com/james-patrick-jp-wedges/

Thanks for posting that Zinger. Those pictures are incredible. After seeing that post and hearing about the experience he will give individuals at the JP Experience, I don't see how anybody can call it anything but a once in a lifetime chance.

I fully expect this to soon to be a several month waiting list and probably go up in price. Maybe that's just me being naive, but I think it's incredible.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Bespoke suits come at a hefty price due to the dearth of providers. In return for your money the world's finest tailors select the finest fabrics to produce a garment of unparalleled quality and fit; unique to your personal geometry and tastes. It's a time intensive process requiring knowledge and skills earned through tens of thousands of hours experience. None of the production responsibility can be delegated to underlings so most of the cost is the tailor's substantial time investment. None of them are wealthy.

Are you starting to identify any parallels? But comparing JP to a bespoke tailor is a slight because you can find bespoke tailors in just about any metro around the globe but there is only one JP. He is the Da Vinci of golf. We are all very lucky that his passion for personalization lives on in the JP fitting experience. I believe his vision is the future of short game systems, full stop. He's passionate, genuine, thoughtful, personally demanding and unquestionably generous simply for sharing his genius in one on one sessions. His entire life's work has been devoted to making _you_ a better golfer! Bandying about callous personal opinions regarding the perceived inflated value of the golden child's honest blood, sweat and tears serves only to discourage other unknown visionaries from hanging up their own shingle. Makes me nauseous to hear $150 price point comparisons in the same breath as JP's work. He's going to be a busy man and it's rightfully deserved.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

So after reading those pieces about the beginnings of JP I will say that I jumped to conclusions a bit. I'm willing to admit I was wrong about saying this is just another gimmick from a manufacturer. The story is compelling and I don't blame JP for taking advantage of Titleist's offer and take advantage of their resources. Even though I will say the price point is still, not unreasonable but too steep, I can understand the draw to it. The materials are better then the Vokeys and it is a face to face system for getting a custom product before it is produced. So I wish them the best, I just won't be throwing my money at it any time soon.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

Bespoke suits come at a hefty price due to the dearth of providers. In return for your money the world's finest tailors select the finest fabrics to produce a garment of unparalleled quality and fit; unique to your personal geometry and tastes. It's a time intensive process requiring knowledge and skills earned through tens of thousands of hours experience. None of the production responsibility can be delegated to underlings so most of the cost is the tailor's substantial time investment. None of them are wealthy.

Are you starting to identify any parallels? But comparing JP to a bespoke tailor is a slight because you can find bespoke tailors in just about any metro around the globe but there is only one JP. He is the Da Vinci of golf. We are all very lucky that his passion for personalization lives on in the JP fitting experience. I believe his vision is the future of short game systems, full stop. He's passionate, genuine, thoughtful, personally demanding and unquestionably generous simply for sharing his genius in one on one sessions. His entire life's work has been devoted to making _you_ a better golfer! Bandying about callous personal opinions regarding the perceived inflated value of the golden child's honest blood, sweat and tears serves only to discourage other unknown visionaries from hanging up their own shingle. Makes me nauseous to hear $150 price point comparisons in the same breath as JP's work. He's going to be a busy man and it's rightfully deserved.

Post of the year so far right there!  Well said downlowkey!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I wasn't arguing price, $350 ea for an Edel (forged) and whatever the fitting cost is. So for 3 wedges only your looking at $1050, I'm guessing fitting is around $350? So $1400, the extra $600 for JP to personally build you some wedges is well worth it. Just please - please -please have a custom studio like Scotty sometime in the future!

I too jumped the gun in judging. But if you read Zinger's articles you'll see why. His original work is what I fell in love with.

Some of the replies in the blog post are borderline comical - just because someone is offering a wedge experience doesn't mean golf is "dying." It's sort of the cum hoc, ergo propter hoc (with this, therefore because of this) fallacy. People forget that a $2,000 wedge experience doesn't mean less expensive wedges will be impossible to buy...

wedges11.jpg

Motel 6, Ritz-Carlton or somewhere in the middle - take your pick based on what the spirit wants and the wallet permits.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Some of the replies in the blog post are borderline comical - just because someone is offering a wedge experience doesn't mean golf is "dying." It's sort of the cum hoc, ergo propter hoc (with this, therefore because of this) fallacy. People forget that a $2,000 wedge experience doesn't mean less expensive wedges will be impossible to buy...

attachicon.gifwedges11.jpg

Motel 6, Ritz-Carlton or somewhere in the middle - take your pick based on what the spirit wants and the wallet permits.

It's inflation. No big deal. Yugo or a Ferrari. Everyone wants a Ferrari.

- Alan

Well everyone else send to have already made all the valid points. I'll just say I wish had all the disposable income in the world to buy all the golf stuff I want but I don't be satisfied with more regular wedges

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

The more I think of it, it sounds like one hell of a vacation to me. You guys talked some sense into me.

We should start a GoFundMe page for Shank. I have a feeling we'll need another one for a plastic surgeon to remove the perma-smile!

Posted Image

For those truly interested in the fitting experience, raw and uncut, my friend Ryan will detail his comprehensive session out at TPI.

He will have tons of photographs, video, it was unreal the work he put into it. Sure the video and pics by Titleist are nice, but it's fun to see uncut snapshots from the perspective of a participant. If you have interest in the process, you'll know exactly what you can expect from his pictorial journey.

At the time of my fitting, pictures were not permitted. However, he completed his about a month later and went absolutely hog wild.

Posted Image

Great to see this option available to those that can afford it. I'm just not there yet. Maybe someday. Until then, I'm OK with my vokey Spin mills until they get replaced in the next few weeks with SM6 or RTX 3 wedges.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

How much is this going to change the Wedge game? I mean the "pros" use "stock" clubs right? Obviously not stock, but you and I can walk into a store and get something very similar to what they use, and heck most companies let you customize them. Are more companies going to find their "JP" to compete with them?

Can't wait to see how this changes the game.

How much is this going to change the Wedge game? I mean the "pros" use "stock" clubs right? Obviously not stock, but you and I can walk into a store and get something very similar to what they use, and heck most companies let you customize them. Are more companies going to find their "JP" to compete with them?

Can't wait to see how this changes the game.

Great question Alan! Yeah, the pros use "stock" much like the old JPs were "stock" Vokeys with just a few mods... J/K! Customized clubs but something any good machinist could conceivable produce with a drill and a bench grinder. These new JPs are another animal. Wedges are interesting, there have been so many attempts to use modern technology but the best stuff in the game, more than for any other club is still just good old forged steel with a shape that hasn't changed much in 60 years! Maybe JP's the guy to do it!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

LOVE the looks of these JP wedges but spending $2K for 3 of them is insane IMO.  That said, it's why PXG has been able to survive and thrive the way they have - there are consumers out there who believe that particular product is going to deliver on some sort of tangible benefit to them.  I've played both the PXG 0311 and 0311T and re-sold both sets because they didn't do anything more than my set of $700 mainstream irons.  I can't see these JP wedges doing anything more than making your golf bag look crazy sexy.

You will still run into varying turf conditions as you travel and as weather conditions change.  I know my sharper leading edge wedges which work great in dry, firm conditions tend to bury and stick when I move on to softer, wetter conditions.  

Your wedges can compensate and be an all-purpose grind set for the most conditions.  But what if your conditions don't mimic SoCal?  I hope (and assume) that JP is conpensating for those living in to softer soil of the Ohio valley and the clay of the Midwest as well as the packed quartz of Arizona.  

I'm reminded of the Snake Eyes sand iron of the 1990s. No wedge is perfect for every condition, but a great compromise will maximize your ability to make shots.  I think having someone like JP grinding your wedges will definitely help.  But it, in itself, will not revolutionize your wedge game.  A grind, properly applied, will absolutely help.  But you can still do a lot with a 1988 Cleveland RTG or a 1958 Wilson Staff Dynapower.  Both wedges have Tour validation and history for a reason.  

I wish JP well.  We'll see how these wedges do in the market and if they see any Tour success.  

Tour Issue Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero 9° / Graphite Design P9003 TX  OR  Tour Issue Taylormade M1 430 9.5° / Graphite Design P9003 TX                        

Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX                    Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Project X T1100 95g 6.5

Tour Issue Titleist 915Hd 17.5° / Graphite Design DI-105 X                                Tour Issue Callaway BB Alpha 815 18° / Graphite Design DI-105 X

Scratch AR-1 v2 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                                        Raw Bridgestone J15CB 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7

Scratch FIT 54°DS and 60°DS / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                            Bettinardi H2 Forged 54° and 60° / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7        

Rotating 8802 style putters

Archived