TESTERS WANTED! ×

New or used balls?

New balls or "used"? What does the MGS community think about purchasing used balls? I use a site and am very happy with service and product. Anyone else care to comment?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

My "gamers" are all used. AAAA from a used site. If I play in a tournament I buy new. But for my casual rounds used. Plus, once you hit them once they're used anyways. Refurbs are a no way though, I got a whole box of eggs for Christmas from the mother in law. At least she tried.

- Alan

New, but I never pay more than $30 a dozen

This is my approach as well. There are a lot of good options out there for under $30.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

it's tough, if you can find a good company to deal with and get good quality used balls than go for it.

I've found in my experience that I've only ever gotten balls that are scratched or torn when buying in a bucket deal. So because of that I pretty much stick to new. 

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

3W & 5W - Taylormade aeroburner 

Irons - Cobra Amp cell 4-GW 

Wedge - Titleist Volky 60deg

Putter - Odyssey V-7 tank superstoke long grip

Been new for last couple years but have given up the "high priced" balls for more moderately priced.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Buy new, with price wars going on, you have plenty of choices. No need for "OP" balls.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I've found that the 5A grade balls from lostgolfballs.com are in really great shape. You pay more than for the 4As but it's still half price or less than you would pay for brand new. In a bucket of 48, I would say 40+ appear to be virtually brand new and the rest have minor scuffing/graphic imperfections. I am unable to tell any distance or performance discrepancies from new balls.

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I've found that the 5A grade balls from lostgolfballs.com are in really great shape. You pay more than for the 4As but it's still half price or less than you would pay for brand new. In a bucket of 48, I would say 40+ appear to be virtually brand new and the rest have minor scuffing/graphic imperfections. I am unable to tell any distance or performance discrepancies from new balls.

I'd buy and play some. Why not? I mean... how many times have you found a "like new" ball laying in the rough or even in the water and put it in your bag? I know I do all the time.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I go on ebay and buy 6 dozen boxes at a time of new balls. But as PlaidJacket has said, there have been many times in the past where I've found OB new looking obviously lost balls that I've put in the bag. A few years ago I would have played them. Now I'm trying to redevelope a consistent game so I play the the same ball throughout the round so no variance on distance and spin and any found balls get put in a shagbag for my kids...

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

+1 for LostGolfBalls. You can get their best quality ball and they're like new. And if you want to get some shag balls, you can get a slightly worst quality and they're still a great price.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I'm on the Lost Golf Balls train. I purchase from them a couple times a year. The AAAA balls are like new, or damn near. Like Shankster said.... once you hit em', they're used anyway. I will NEVER pay the price for new tour balls..... even if I win the lottery. It's just ridiculous that they cost so much money.

I use and recommend a site called Golf Ball Nut. They have several grades from mint to practice. I was once unconcerned with golf balls. I was not a good enough player to really appreciate much less take advantage of "good" balls. That has changed. I have learned, or more accurately discovered, the ideal golf ball for me. I now use the Titleist NXT tour version. I realize everyone has an opinion, but my decision is based on a great balance of cost and performance. I get the predictable performance I am looking for at a price I like. The mint grade balls from the golf ball nut people look and feel new. I take advantage of their specials, and buy 6 to 8 dozen at a time. Pay premium prices for golf balls? Not me. Take dead aim.

I generally play used balls. Got sporting gods store near my house that sells used balls loose. Can go in and dig through the crates and pick what I want. If you have the patience, you can come up with AAA class balls, good enough for me. They charge $8.00 for 2 dozen. I also keep a new box on hand for more serious rounds.

4-P Hogan Edge (2018 version)

52 degree Hogan Equalier wedge

Arnold Palmer The Original  putter

Founder Club  hybrid 18 degrees

Taylor Made Burner 3 & 5 wood.

I buy 4 dozen around February and that'll typically last the year. I am a ball snob, if I find a ball on course it won't go in my bag unless it's a Srixon.

I don't like paying over 30$ either, my coworkers say I'm cheap with everything except my golf, I disagree with that. I WON'T pay more than 30$ for balls.

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I always play new. Just feel there are to many variables when players no used. I just can't bring myself to do it. There are always deals to be had on urethane balls to bring myself to do it.

I almost never play new and usually play balls I have found on the course.    I don't keep every ball I find;  just those that have similar performance metrics.   Balls all seem to perform pretty consistently for me,  but maybe I should try something that is new and see if it does make a difference.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I used to play new all the time and just stick to the lessor priced models.  Then a few years ago I took a chance on some used balls and was very pleased.  Since then I buy used balls for all of my casual rounds and keep some new balls for important tournaments and such to make sure I get the performance I want.  It has allowed me to step up the class of ball I use as my game has improved, but not break the bank.  As a general rule I don't lose many balls, but every once in a while I have a round where the wheels fall off and I donate a lot of balls to the course.  It hurts a lot less when I am not losing $2+ at a time. 

Honestly I find the performance to be right on par with the new balls.  More than a couple times I have done a comparison for a round when the course is slow.  Throughout the round I hit just as many quality shots with both and saw no discernible difference in distance, flight, or short game characteristics.  Obviously there are a lot of factors to this and it isn't a perfect test, but it is good enough for me. 

As at least one other user stated, I will not play refurbished balls, my experience with them is that they are junk.

:mizuno-small: ST180 w/Tensei CK Series Blue 60 Stiff
:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3w w/Project X HZRDUS Smoke 70 Stiff
:callaway-small: Epic Flash 5w w/Project X HZRDUS Smoke 70 Stiff

:titelist-small: 818 h2 w/Tensei Pro Series White 90 Stiff
:srixon-small: z545 (5-PW) w/ KBS C taper 120

:cleveland-small: RTX-3 CB 50/54/58 degrees

:seemore-small: FGP Original

:taylormade-small: Project a

I wait for sales on ebay for the AAAAA quality used (never refurbished).  Can usually get the bridgestone e6's for $100 Canadian for 100 balls and free shipping.  Just have to wait until they are on sale.

:callaway-small: Paradym 9 degree Driver

:wilson-small: DYNAPWR 3 wood

:callaway-small: Apex 21  PW-4 Iron

:cleveland: CBX 50 degree

:cleveland: CBX 54 degree

:cleveland: CBX2 58 degree

:vokey-small: SM6 62 Degree   

:EVNROLL: ER2 Putter

I almost never play new and usually play balls I have found on the course. I don't keep every ball I find; just those that have similar performance metrics. Balls all seem to perform pretty consistently for me, but maybe I should try something that is new and see if it does make a difference.

Just give golf ball nut a chance. You will not be sorry. I agree with the others ,, stay away from referbs.

The good people at golfballnut.com are where I purchase golf balls. They have recently made changes to their website, but they are still easy and good to do business with. The sales are when I make my golf ball purchases. I usually can get E6's for my league partner and NXT tours for myself. I have never paid more than $10 per dozen, often less. I always get mint grade balls, they are usually current year models, and at worst last years model. New balls? Naaa, worry or fret if I loose some during a round? ,, naa, am I happy and satisfied with used balls? ,, you bet your putter I am. Take dead aim

• 3 weeks later...

When I first started about 3 years ago I used all recycled balls. As my dispersion got better I went to new balls. Now I only buy new balls, but only when they are one sale. I found a bunch of RBZ Urethane $20CAD a dozen unreal find. I'll never run out of those now. lol

Alfred

WITB:

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex, 9.5 Degrees

FW: Cobra F7, 14.5 Degrees

Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot 19 Degrees

UT Iron: Callaway Apex UT 18 Degrees

Irons: 4-6i King Cobra LTD Pro CB

Irons: 7-PW King Cobra LTD Pro MB

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3 50 MG, 58 FG

Putter: Nike Method

I find used balls are great to practice at home with, but as I play more I can feel and see the performance of new vs old. I'll buy last year balls beginning of next year.

planet earth

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

• 3 weeks later...

I play both, usually used balls for practice or casual rounds and new for tournaments. I tend to shop eBay for good deals because I can usually get free shipping as well.

I too stay away from the refurbished balls.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Archived