Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Ricky Fowler's Improper relief from casual water

TheShark

Did you see Ricky Fowler's tee shot on 13 yesterday (Sunday) at the Waste Management Open? It landed in casual water on the left side of the fairway. He called an official over and proceded to take relief. It appeared to me that his nearest point of relief was not where he ended up dropping. His drop was in the fairway and it should have been in the rough. I can only speculate that the nearest relief point was also under casual water. Any body else see this?

Nearest Point of Relief: The "nearest point of relief" is the reference point for taking relief without penalty from interference by an immovable obstruction (Rule 24-2), an abnormal ground condition (Rule 25-1) or a wrong putting green (Rule 25-3).

It is the point on the course nearest to where the ball lies:

(i) that is not nearer the hole, and

(ii) where, if the ball were so positioned, no interference by the condition from which relief is sought would exist for the stroke the player would have made from the original position if the condition were not there.

Note: In order to determine the nearest point of relief accurately, the player should use the club with which he would have made his next stroke if the condition were not there to simulate the address position, direction of play and swing for such a stroke.

That is why he called the official over, He is entitled to full relief from the hazard, going into the rough he would have still been standing in the casual water and any farther over to the left he would have been in the naturalized area. To the right, in the fairway, which is where his ball ended up, there was no casual water and that is where he dropped.

Well, regardless of what happened he did call a rules official over and if the rules official was pleased with the outcome then I am not going to worry about it.

Officials have been wrong before...many times.

Officials have been wrong before...many times.

Oh trust me I understand that completely. My point is that I would say that had it been an issue then it would have probably been addressed quickly after the round...especially with all the people who watch tournaments like a hawk looking for a player to mess up so they can call in and try to report it.

Thanks to all for the replies. My understanding is that he first took "lift, clean, and place" relief (still within the casual water) and that got him near enough to the fairway to have his nearest point of relief in the fairway.

I can only speculate that the nearest relief point was also under casual water.

How can it be a 'nearest relief point' if it's also 'under casual water', his relief point would have to be 'full relief from the casual water'.

Thanks to all for the replies. My understanding is that he first took "lift, clean, and place" relief (still within the casual water) and that got him near enough to the fairway to have his nearest point of relief in the fairway.

That is correct...just using the rules to his advantage. That's also why he called an official over, if they tell him it's good, then no other viewer/player can question it.

Y.E. Yang did the same thing (ie - using the rules to his advantage) on 13 also (I think), his second shot ended up next to the collar on the par 5, to the left of the green. This would be a tricky shot, but he took his 'lift, clean, and place' relief to the left, which allowed him to place the ball in the first cut of rough. This gave him a nice cushioned lie and he got it close for a birdie putt. Of course, he blew it on 17!

Why is it that so many viewers just can't wait to try and bash a PGA player because they use the rules to their advantage? I just don't get it. Sit back and ENJOY GREAT SHOT MAKING! Well that's my take.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

• 2 weeks later...

Well, regardless of what happened he did call a rules official over and if the rules official was pleased with the outcome then I am not going to worry about it.

An important note here:

If you get an official ruling, and follow it....then find out that ruling was incorrect -- there is no penalty. There is no penalty for following an incorrect ruling. If the rules official says you're good....you're good, no matter what.

Archived