Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Is there any club that's feels better than mizuno forged?

Sluggo42

I've hit many others, including the new i200, the new Callaway's, etc, but none "feel" better than either MP 33's, or 64's.

Pretty much anything in the MP series.

...just sayin....

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I game the Hogan Ft Worth 15s. I picked them up after a day spent demoing Mizuno MP 5s, Titleist MBs and a few other forged clubs. I wasn't even going to hit them but the guy in the shop handed me one. They just felt better. Just the softest feeling club I swung that day by a wide margin and on grass, it just felt so damn good off the turf! Get em you can!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I play Mizuno MP-57's because of the feel. Played MP-32's in the past which had a better feel. Very few clubs have that buttery feel like you hit nothing at all. Having said this, the newer crop of forged irons are coming to close to Mizunos. Although clubs like the AP1 have piqued my interest after hitting them. My exposure though is limited to availability since I'm a Lefty.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Never hit them Mizuno's but, for a cast club that iBlade is butter, like sitting on the counter butter, not the tub, or the stuff in the fridge. Just smooth. The Cobra KING LTD when hit right is also butter, like movie theatre kind.

Both offer a very simplistic design. Get rid of that orange paint fill on the cobras and they look sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

It all depends on how the end user interprets feel and what they like. The whole "nothing feels better than a Mizuno" thing is just a blatant sales pitch that they never have to prove (although some of their ads attempt to do this). How do they now what I like?

This is just another "we know what you like more than you think you know yourself and if you disagree then you must be a philistine" type of advertising slogan that perceived elitist brands smother us with every day.

Now if you don't mind, the time by my Rolex watch says I must be off in my Rolls Royce to get my shafts Pured..

The whole "nothing feels better than a Mizuno" thing is just a blatant sales pitch that they never have to prove (although some of their ads attempt to do this). How do they now what I like?

Yeah! It's not like they're Charmin'!  :lol:

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I play with Nike VR S forged irons. Even on a miss lick they still feel good and sound good. My only problem with them is when you "nut" one (hit it perfect) it flys 10-15 yards farther. But I've heard that's one of them things with forged irons.

CobraConnectChallenge3

I don't know. I would think that's one of those personal, different strokes kind of thing. I play Mizuno MP64's and I love them. I've never hit the Hogans, but I bet I would like them!

I play the 64s as well and nothing feels better than a pure 4 iron with em. It's like butter.

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

Feel will always be subjective to the user. I loved the feel of the old ping i3s, but to me, Mizunos have a feel that makes me remember a shot I've hit. It's one of those qualities that are hard to quantify.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Tough question since feel is pretty subjective. I think there is some stuff on the JDM market that could be considered similar in feel to Mizuno. Might just be a little harder to find them and try depending on where you live.

I think a lot of it depends on what alloys the manufacturer decides to use (if they are using a softer alloy some will interpret it as having a good feel). In the end play what seems good to you

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

I think it's the "no click" thing. It's more like hitting a ball made of play-doh, but then you hear the ball hissing as it leaves. Especially the longer irons.

I wonder what it would be like with graphite shafts. I wonder if the kbs tours make it feel softer?

I had a set of the jpx 850 forged for a few months, right after the mp33's.

Even those felt like I was hitting rocks.

I would like to hit some of the hogans tho- I always hear they're pretty soft too.

I think it's the "no click" thing. It's more like hitting a ball made of play-doh, but then you hear the ball hissing as it leaves. Especially the longer irons.

I wonder what it would be like with graphite shafts. I wonder if the kbs tours make it feel softer?

I had a set of the jpx 850 forged for a few months, right after the mp33's.

Even those felt like I was hitting rocks.

I would like to hit some of the hogans tho- I always hear they're pretty soft too.

Try the iBlades and those Cobra's. You'll thank me.

- Alan

Feel will always be subjective to the user. I loved the feel of the old ping i3s, but to me, Mizunos have a feel that makes me remember a shot I've hit. It's one of those qualities that are hard to quantify.

MDGolfHacker

You hit it dead in the screws with the first sentence. I played 33s for a while and loved them. The only two irons I have hit that were as buttery feeling as the 33s were the Miura Baby blades or tournament blades. Also Homna blades and forged cbs have that soft feel

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

The feel gets enhanced when you raw them.  Loved my raw MP-33 and MP-63 irons.

Tour Issue Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero 9° / Graphite Design P9003 TX  OR  Tour Issue Taylormade M1 430 9.5° / Graphite Design P9003 TX                        

Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX                    Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Project X T1100 95g 6.5

Tour Issue Titleist 915Hd 17.5° / Graphite Design DI-105 X                                Tour Issue Callaway BB Alpha 815 18° / Graphite Design DI-105 X

Scratch AR-1 v2 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                                        Raw Bridgestone J15CB 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7

Scratch FIT 54°DS and 60°DS / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                            Bettinardi H2 Forged 54° and 60° / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7        

Rotating 8802 style putters

I have to say I hit a set of mp 53s and they "felt" so good I went and out and picked up the new 54s when they came out and haven't looked back since. Tried some different clubs since but just keep ending up back with the miz. Not a bette feeling iron imo.

Edit: now I'm hitting jpx 825 pro for a little extra touch of forgiveness and still couldn't be happier.

Driver: Ping G30 Tour 65

Fairway: Ping G30 Tour 80

Hybrid: Taylormade SLDR S 21*

Irons: Mizuno MP-54 KBS TOUR S

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T4 50* KBS TOUR,

Titleist Vokey 55*, 60* KBS Hi-RevS

Putter: SeeMore fgp Original 35", 69*, 2.5*

Ball: Bridgestone B-330 S

I still have the mp14, and had the 33s for a season or 2 both with truetemper r300 and s300, feels great. I also had the grad mp in graphite(stock stiff) felt great as well. Then I moved on to the callaway razr x forged with the proj x 5.5, took me a while to find the sweet spot on the shaft as it often feels too stiff, once I'm used to it it feels just as great. I don't think one feels softer than another.

More important than the club head is the shaft you put on it. I can go from r300 to s300 or even s400 but jumping to another series or brand would effect feel the most.

Any well struck shot would feel similar in terms of softness from SGI, gi, to mb. I think I value the mb soft feel more because the bad or less than good striking feels worse than cb. I'd strike 4 perfect shot out of 10 on the course anything less than sweet spot then I'd feel it. Most cb shots feel solid even on the miss.

That said, it's not forged vs cast either, I just got my a new Apex CF16 forged last week, it feels soft but sounds disturbingly clicky, even on a dead on hit that I want to send it back and get the pro version.

I play ping G20 and I really like them. They forgive well for a higher handicapper like me. However I've heard so many good things about Mizuno irons that I really want to get some. They do forge options on GI as well correct?

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

I play ping G20 and I really like them. They forgive well for a higher handicapper like me. However I've heard so many good things about Mizuno irons that I really want to get some. They do forge options on GI as well correct?

Yes they do, but even those don't have that "pure" feel. I know as I had some. But they are nice tho.

But they still have a touch of the click.

Like the other guy said, you remember the purely hit shots as the feel stays with you...

And may I add, I Do NOT work for mizzy, or any body for that matter...

I just like hitting mizuno sticks

Yes they do: see jpx 900 forged and jpx ez forged. The 900 forged are on the more advanced ability end of the GI spectrum with relatively smaller heads.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Lots that work better for a putrid player like myself. The lowest handicap I've ever held for a significant period of time was a 1. I have no business gaming a forged players iron and don't.

For that rare, center strike nothing feels better though, that's true.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I play Mizuno MP-57's because of the feel. Played MP-32's in the past which had a better feel. Very few clubs have that buttery feel like you hit nothing at all. Having said this, the newer crop of forged irons are coming to close to Mizunos. Although clubs like the AP1 have piqued my interest after hitting them. My exposure though is limited to availability since I'm a Lefty.

MDGolfHacker

I understand your comment about being a lefty.   Mizuno advertised a set of irons in which I was interested.   I contacted Mizuno asking where I could find them for lefties.   Mizuno responded that they were not offered in a left handed model.   They were honest and explained that there was not sufficient demand for left handed clubs to make offering them economically feasible.   However, what I did like about MIzuno is that they contacted me directly (it was not a boiler plate response) and they did suggest a configuration of another Mizuno product that I may like.  

As you later stated, feel is a personal perspective.  I currently play the Callaway X2 Hot, which in the current market may be considered rather old clubs and lacks some current technological advancements.   I have no idea if such is accurate.   However, they were my first purchase of clubs that were fitted for me, I didn't purchase them off the rack.   Whether real or imagined, I continue to like the feel of them.  Perhaps, there is a certain mental component when using clubs for which you were fitted.  

The only Mizuno irons I've had were the MP60's about 12 years or so ago.   I ended up selling them after a very short run, my steep swing did not get along with the sole.  Since then I've always tried to try an iron on grass if at all possible before I buy it.  So I can't really speak to if any iron feels better than them.

But I will say, I had the Apex CF16 for a year, and they were very soft feeling, as were the Srixon 765's I demoed last week.   Like most have said, it's a very personal and subjective feel.  But one thing I think we all can agree on, anytime a shot is compressed correctly and struck solidly, it's an addictive feeling, no matter the model of iron!!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Lots that work better for a putrid player like myself. The lowest handicap I've ever held for a significant period of time was a 1. I have no business gaming a forged players iron and don't.

For that rare, center strike nothing feels better though, that's true.

I agree, I feel,like it's the right of passage thing for golfers, especially the first time around when they drop the handicap. I remember when I broke 85 I rush out and get me the forged cavity combo, grad mp, when I broke 80 got me full forged set, mp33. If I stay with my gi clubs I'd drop to low single a year faster. How can I resist, I'm a golfer after all, we like to do things the hard way:)

For a period of 2 years I was able to play 4-6 rounds a week my handicap dropped to scratch and I was on autopilot mode I almost doesn't matter what I hit, my shot percentage were about the same. Now I only get to play twice a week I'm putting gi clubs back into the rotation.

In the end one should play what makes them happy. For some golfers they are happier with the feel off of a well struck forged blade is everything. For me happiness is shooting a good score regardless of how it happens.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Any forged club feels good. Especially different from cast I've always played forged for as long as I can remember.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Archived