Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Rory Going Full TaylorMade?

GolfSpy Barbajo

That's the rumor, as reported by Geoff Shackelford...

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2017/5/8/rory-teases-new-driver-on-verge-of-announcing-mega-taylormad.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Uhhh, this is kind of a big deal...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I think this is huge.  The number TaylorMade hats on TV on Sunday's is increasing rapidly.   I'm really curious to see what finally happens with the sale, when and if it does. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

It appears Rory follows Tiger in the equipment department.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I see a Nike/TM Colab soon. Call me nuts, but Nike exiting and TM up for sale just seems like a perfect fit. I am most likely wrong, probably as far from right as you can get. But it would be cool.

I see a Nike/TM Colab soon. Call me nuts, but Nike exiting and TM up for sale just seems like a perfect fit. I am most likely wrong, probably as far from right as you can get. But it would be cool.

Nah - Nike couldn't get out of the hard goods space fast enough.  They'll continue to do soft goods and be indifferent to what their footware/apparel guys have in their bags

I think a TM/Adidas divorce will have to happen before that happens

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• SPY VIP

It's happening, and it's happening in no small part because TaylorMade is willing to pay him, what I'm hearing is an obscene amount of money to play TaylorMade. Prepare yourself for the Tiger story all over again (once he hit our clubs he knew there was no other option). Just as was the case in January, that line is total BS. OEM tour spend is on the decline, and only TM is still willing to recklessly toss money at top talent. Even PXG does some common sense cost/benefit analysis.

The reality is that TM is losing market share to Callaway in their key category (metal woods), and with Epic a retail juggernaut there's not much evidence to suggest the trend is going to reverse itself anytime soon. And keep in mind that in 2016, Callaway over took and then opened up a sizeable lead in the iron category as well (on top of having the #3 wedge, #2 ball, and now #1 putter). None of this is good news for a company facing a day of reckoning under new ownership.

It's desperation more than anything. What does Rory give them that they don't already have? They already have 100% of the tour validation they need. Worth mentioning, TaylorMade and Titleist are the most heavily invested in the tour in their respective key categories (Titleist/ball, TaylorMade/Drivers), both are loosing share. Apparently, TM thinks more tour is the solution. I'm willing to bet it isn't.

My thoughts, other than the millions they're going to pay him, they don't lose anything by signing Rory, but the pyramid of influence and the market as a whole has changed, so it's not going to get the much in the way of sales either.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Didn't Rory say though that at this point, money is a secondary consideration and he's more interested in using equipment that puts him in the best position to win?

Obviously the pros can play well with any equipment, so some may say they simply follow the money when signing with an OEM, but these guys also seem to know they need any advantage possible with the competition doing the same, so wouldn't they select equipment they feel gives them that edge?

Is it possible Rory simply didn't like any other brand better than TM and signed based on his preference for their equipment?

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

Didn't Rory say though that at this point, money is a secondary consideration and he's more interested in using equipment that puts him in the best position to win?

Obviously the pros can play well with any equipment, so some may say they simply follow the money when signing with an OEM, but these guys also seem to know they need any advantage possible with the competition doing the same, so wouldn't they select equipment they feel gives them that edge?

Is it possible Rory simply didn't like any other brand better than TM and signed based on his preference for their equipment?

And it's not like TM was the only company courting him - hell, Callaway made him custom prototype irons

• SPY VIP

And it's not like TM was the only company courting him - hell, Callaway made him custom prototype irons

True, but Callaway and nearly everybody else takes a much more pragmatic approach to the tour. Whether it's Rory, Tiger, or pick a name out of a hat, I'm guessing they have a reasonable number they won't exceed, and I'm sure it's far below what TM was willing to offer.

So let's look at this a couple of different ways...if we believe that the TaylorMade choice was born out of performance and not the extra money, why doesn't nearly every other tour player forgo contracts to bag TM driver. Granted...that's tough to conceptualize given how many guys TaylorMade pays to play their drivers, but there are plenty of guys who win with other stuff. Hell...Rory won with Titleist, and then he won with Nike. I'm guessing he's pragmatic enough to believe he'll win with anything, so why not maximize the payout?

So I let me ask it this way... Rory made about 5.5 million on the PGA Tour last year. Try and put yourself in Rory's shoes...what kind of guaranteed contract money does it take for you to say 'close enough' on performance and take the money? 

My guess is your number is lower than then really solid ballpark estimate I have on actual number.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I'd guess 25 Million over 5 years. . May be way off, but I don't think it's impossoble.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I play mostly all TM products. But I bought them before I had a clue who their staffers were. I took an extended golf break. But I remembered Ernie Els playing Taylormade which made my dad buy a set for himself. The Burner Bubbles, probably the best clubs TM ever made. So I followed suit and hung the Titleists up for my TM gear. R1 this, Mini Driver that, PSI, rbz, 750... what ever it is they Mass produce the crap out of their clubs more than any brand that I am aware of. So their stuff sits on shelves for a bit. They need to hire s new marketing and sales team. It's slowed down a bit, but man. I'm telling you, "irons week" was a perfect time to launch some gear. Hyped it all up with a dud ending. I'm available TM if you need me. I'll take half of whatever you pay your least paid staffer.

I think Taylormade is just going to continue to have to raise prices to keep posting pros. If Rory really thinks that TM is his best equipment great, good for him. If it's just money I wouldn't do it

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

TaylorMade seems to be in the mind set, wins on Sunday equals sales on Monday.

TaylorMade's building up their stable to show any potential buyers. Look who you have under contract already.

Just my thoughts.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Show me the TM Rory Blades. I'm waiting TMag. And waiting. And so is DJ. Upgrade the mans set for goodness sake. You're out there competing as the #1 in the world with 4 year old blades in the bag, not good for "sales". Slap some new paint or something on them, pull an apple and do a S upgrade. Something other than those Jetson's things you have out now.

Anybody know what DJ and Jason are getting? I'd say Rory is probably around the same + a million.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

He just hit an iron 330 today.

hugo-boss.jpgSilvermere-Custom-Fitting-PXG-140x140.pn

Epic Sub - Zero Driver
           Callaway XR16 - 3 Wood
          Callaway XR16 - 5 Hybrid
                     PXG 0311
             Titleist SM7 50, 55, 60
                Scotty Cameron

TaylorMade seems to be in the mind set, wins on Sunday equals sales on Monday.

TaylorMade's building up their stable to show any potential buyers. Look who you have under contract already.

Just my thoughts.

I've never heard the win on Sunday adage used for golf equipment. Appropriate, but it got a chuckle out of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

Archived