Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

2017 Most Wanted Driver

So Srixon takes the crown for 2017 followed by the 2017 M family and the GBB Epic family. From the glowing reviews of both the Epic and 2017 M families I fully expected one of those to take the crown. I've heard GREAT things about the Srixon line as well but was still surprise. Anyone else surprised by the results or even NOT surprised?

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

I was surprised but not shocked.  Surprised, because as you said, I fully expected either one of the M's or the Epic to win based on feedback I've read from a lot of people.  But not shocked because Srixon has really been making quality clubs for quite a while, they have just gone under the radar until the success of the Recent Z line in irons.   

I think the driver has been overshadowed by the irons, and I'll definitely give it a look the next time I'm testing drivers. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I was surprised the Cobra stuff was as low as it was but they may be more of how good the others clubs are. Certainly surprised by the Srixon being 1 and 4. And Titleist really bringing up the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

I was surprised the Cobra stuff was as low as it was but they may be more of how good the others clubs are. Certainly surprised by the Srixon being 1 and 4. And Titleist really bringing up the rear.

Yeah, i think you've hit it correctly.   The ones that finished near the bottom, Cobra and Titleist, is not a knock on them, but more how good the others are, and in every testing somone has to be first and someone has to be last.   

It's like the old joke.  What do they call the guy that graduates last in his class at Medical School? .........Doctor!!

I'm not really surprised. I tested a Srixon Z765 driver shortly before I got the EPIC SZ and got very similar numbers with both. I went with the EPIC just because I thought it would have more resale value if I had issues. The Srixon drivers were great with their stock shaft offerings. Very long and low spinning.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

After having tested the drivers I found that the majority performed pretty much the same. Ultimately each person will need to find what works best for them. With performance numbers being basically equal you can start to Focus on other variable like looks, feel, cost, availability, etc.

Right now I would still advocate some level of fitting to find the right configuration for your swing which may be number 1 or number 10 on the list.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Been gaming the Z 565 since last fall - not surprised in the least

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Is it just me or is there a little more parity between the top drivers this year. I believe that is great for the consumer, because it opens a variety of options. In my opinion there is a top I get it, but looks like a very contested test with multiple drivers and company's

The key for me when looking at these results is to always remember that the measured distances from club-to-club are only separated by less than a single yard, in-general. One may be a TOTAL of .8 yards longer and .5 yards closer to the center line than the next. Yes, more distance difference is seen between the first place and last place, but it's not like the winner is 10 yards longer than second... It all comes down to fitting to eek out those last yards and bit of accuracy.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I was surprised but not shocked. Surprised, because as you said, I fully expected either one of the M's or the Epic to win based on feedback I've read from a lot of people. But not shocked because Srixon has really been making quality clubs for quite a while, they have just gone under the radar until the success of the Recent Z line in irons.

I think the driver has been overshadowed by the irons, and I'll definitely give it a look the next time I'm testing drivers.

Couldn't have said it better myself! Also quite surprised where both PING finished

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

So Srixon takes the crown for 2017 followed by the 2017 M family and the GBB Epic family. From the glowing reviews of both the Epic and 2017 M families I fully expected one of those to take the crown. I've heard GREAT things about the Srixon line as well but was still surprise. Anyone else surprised by the results or even NOT surprised?

I'm not surprised in the slightest that the Srixon won - I had tried it out at my local range late last year as a possible replacement to my Big Bertha. The Z565 was carrying about 270yd for me (20 further than the Big Bertha), it looked fantastic at address and it was unique enough that most people wouldn't know what it was (kinda like owning a rare car).

If I had tested out the 915 with the Speeder shaft, I would've had the Srixon Z565 in the bag! It's good that the lesser-known driver manufacturers (Srixon as best known for their irons and balls) (including Mizuno & Wilson) are getting the public's attention with these tests. Competition breeds excellence in everything, so the average golfer will benefit from this (although their hip pockets won't!!).

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid (not in play): Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Driving Iron: Wilson Staff Utility Iron 18 degree with KBS Hybrid Stiff shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50; Callaway MD4 - 56; Vokey SM9 - 60

Putter: Taylormade Rossa CGB

Golf Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond 

I'm surprised I suppose. I haven't been paying much attention to the driver market this year and honestly Srixon didn't even come to mind.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I took a long look at the numbers and was surprised at the parity, both among the top performers and overall. In the top five, they are so close that I would call the differences essentially negligible. +/- one yard on distance and accuracy? Spin within a couple hundred RPM on all of them? At that point, I think you just pick the club that matches your eye color so you look pretty on the tee box!

Going down the list, things don't change that much more. The clubs that spin more don't go quite as far but tend to be a bit more accurate?

More than any other test I've ever seen, this is telling me that the technology is pretty maxed out. Unless someone comes out with a radical new design on a new material technology, save yourself a couple hundred bucks and buy an older model!

Nothing more to say except for the one outlier that could change it all... The Bombtech Grenade! I know exactly what happened; "big golf" got together and collectively paid off MGS with a seven figure bribe to exclude the world's greatest driver company. Keep the sheeple buying the same old stuff!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

It was "low" but look at the numbers, they're almost identical!

Srixon Z565: club speed (99.5), ball speed (140.3), launch (14.7), spin (2244), carry (233.6), total (249)

Cobra F7+ : Club speed (99.1) ball speed (140.0), Launch (15.2), Spin (2354), carry (233.6), total (247.9)

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

Love the hard numbers! As others have said, the differences are almost negligible at the top. I'll have to put the Srixon on my list to try (if it's available in a lh version).

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Although not drastic it was nice to see the Ping SF tec actually lead the pack in shortest distance from center. 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Sent from my iPhone using 

I was surprised about the Cobra performance as well, expected better. Not surprised how low Titleist was though, their drivers are not big boomers and I had awful numbers with the 917 when I tested it. 

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Very little difference between the drivers.

Ball speed consistent with clubhead speed;

launch within 1 degree except Air Force One;

backspin most within 150 rpm's, all within 250 rpm's  2457/2206, except low spinning TM M1 440 & Srixon z765 2009 & 2090;

apex & descent all within a couple degrees;

carry, all within 5 yds except three within 7 yds;

total yds all within 4 yds except three within 6 yds;

yds from center all within 3 yds;

shot area(consistent dispersion?) is the biggest difference I could find: Ping G SF Tec 7711/ Mizuno JPX 900 8684/ Titeist 917 D2 8820

So, obviously no matter how minute, distance is king in these tests. Why is accuracy not king? Marketing pushes distance, nothing else? Just a thought.

Since my clubhead speed is high 90's to low 100's on occasion, I appreciate this test.

FYI: I tried several drivers last year, and bought the Titleist 917 D2 because I hit it consistently straighter and in the same "shot area" than the others.

I love the hard data and the parity of results. Gotta give it put to srixon for taking the top spot, but I don't think it is a surprise given the quality product they have been coming with the last couple years.

Sent from my VS987 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in the Bag:

Driver - Titleist TS2 11.5, Diamana 70 Stiff Flex

FW - Callaway Razr X 3 Wood

Rescue - Taylormade Rocketballz 4 Rescue

Irons - Callaway Apex CF19, Nippon S. Pro 1050 GH, Stiff Flex

Wedges - Titleist Vokey S4 48, 52, 56, and 60

Putter - Odyssey OWorks Marxman

HOLD EVERYTHING!!!

I just realized this test is invalid, and the result is purely IMPOSSIBLE!!!!

There is no way, NO WAY, that the Srixon could have finished so highly. There's one thing we all forgot about, that I can't believe we overlooked, but we may actually have to take back the crown.

There's no way the Most Wanted Driver of 2017 could have gotten a SILVER medal from Golf Digest's Hot List. A SILVER MEDAL??? Clearly MGS is crazy to have awarded their most wanted blade putter, mallet putter and driver to ALL silver medal winners. 

This is insanity people! Shut it down!!!! :D

WITB

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Not necessarily surprised, just wasn't sure when Srixon would take that top spot. Their irons are amazing, and they now have proof that their drivers are just as good. I love the equipment that Srixon comes out with and I know they're gonna keep coming out with quality stuff!

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

I love when the underdog comes through. Everyone expected the Epic or TaylorMade M model to win, but this is a nice surprise.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I didn't want to bog down the Blog post with this questins, but perhaps someone can answer it here.  

Callaway declined to provide a driver last year, but participated this year.  Did they submit on it's own, or did MGS purchase the two drivers (along with the two Titleist) knowing there would be a huge interest in seeing how these performed.  

Callaway declined to provide a driver last year, but participated this year. Did they submit on it's own, or did MGS purchase the two drivers (along with the two Titleist) knowing there would be a huge interest in seeing how these performed.

MGS purchased some drivers for companies that chose not to participate but they felt inclusion would be important or of significant interest to the mass population.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I didn't want to bog down the Blog post with this questins, but perhaps someone can answer it here.

Callaway declined to provide a driver last year, but participated this year. Did they submit on it's own, or did MGS purchase the two drivers (along with the two Titleist) knowing there would be a huge interest in seeing how these performed.

If I remember correctly from the list of those who chose to participate and those who didn't, Callaway did not donate(?) any drivers. I believe irons and wedges they did though

If I remember correctly from the list of those who chose to participate and those who didn't, Callaway did not donate(?) any drivers. I believe irons and wedges they did though

My understanding was they donated certain clubs, but not the Epic or Epic Subzero. It might have had something to do with the late release of those clubs, or just general douchebaggery

WITB

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I was surprised how well the Srixon tested, I have not even looked their way, when hitting drivers.

Never had much luck with Cleveland drivers, just assumed it would transfer over to Srixon.

Plus the pro shop has a bunch of used Srixon's on the rack.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

My understanding was they donated certain clubs, but not the Epic or Epic Subzero. It might have had something to do with the late release of those clubs, or just general douchebaggery

Yeah I didn't understand wanting to participate in some but not all. Shows how much confidence they have in it

I was super surprised and a little shocked. It makes me want to go out and try some clubs I've overlooked.

hugo-boss.jpgSilvermere-Custom-Fitting-PXG-140x140.pn

Epic Sub - Zero Driver
           Callaway XR16 - 3 Wood
          Callaway XR16 - 5 Hybrid
                     PXG 0311
             Titleist SM7 50, 55, 60
                Scotty Cameron

Archived