TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tips for applying Tamiya gold leaf paint

Hey i'm wondering if anyone has any experience doing paintfill with Tamiya golfleaf acrylic. I am trying to do a german flag color scheme. Have had GREAT luck applying the Tamiya Clear Red- it looks awesome and Scotty-authentic.

I've been running into problems with the Goldleaf paint. It seems to pool on top of the indented areas i'm trying to fill, then wipes away excessively leaving barely anything behind. What is left, has bad air bubbles pitting it. Pretty frustrating!

I am applying the paintfill with those little bottles with the syringe like nozzle. Has anyone had good luck with the Tamiya goldleaf, or some general tips on applying thicker paintfill?

The Germans are only dead, when the coffin is nailed shut

Have you tried putting just a bit of thinner into the area you are looking to fill prior to the paint?  I have been using Tamiya enamel, but I don't know why acrylic wouldn't benefit as well.  I have been using the pipettes you can buy at Golfworks or the Testors micro brushes.  I let the paint dry for 24 hours before wiping away the excess with acetone.  Perhaps you are wiping the paint before it is dry?

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

• 3 weeks later...

Acetone wash technique. Paintfill and while it's still wet, squirt a wash of acetone across it and the acetone will flash off and leave it smooth and thin.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Have you tried putting just a bit of thinner into the area you are looking to fill prior to the paint?  I have been using Tamiya enamel, but I don't know why acrylic wouldn't benefit as well.  I have been using the pipettes you can buy at Golfworks or the Testors micro brushes.  I let the paint dry for 24 hours before wiping away the excess with acetone.  Perhaps you are wiping the paint before it is dry?

Sounds interesting can you post a link to where to get the pipettes?

Acetone wash technique. Paintfill and while it's still wet, squirt a wash of acetone across it and the acetone will flash off and leave it smooth and thin.

That sounds kinda challenging but really cool if I could pull it off– do you know of any detailed instructions or videos on that? 

That sounds kinda challenging but really cool if I could pull it off– do you know of any detailed instructions or videos on that?

I started doing it a while back from this very explanation

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived