Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

One course or many?

PokeForeLyfe

So I just recently moved back to the Denver area and I'm almost on a nearby golf course. I haven't purchased a membership yet as 1. It's not inexpensive and 2. I'm weight the benefit of just playing different courses this summer. I suppose if I just wanted to play events at a local club and maybe play in a men's club then it might make sense to be as familiar as possible with that course. But I'm playing a number of tournaments in about a 100 mile radius and wondering if it might be a little better for my game to forego the membership, practice there but spend about the same money playing different courses. Share your $0.02

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Do you play with a lot of buddies when you play? That's the only thing that has stopped me from joining a club. My dad and I still play a lot together and if I joined one I wouldn't want to travel around playing a lot of different places and not using my membership. When my dad is unable to play I would def join somewhere BUT still play tourneys too.

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

Maybe get an idea of how many times you think you'll play there this year, like a rough estimate. Then do some math and if you think you'll play there enough to have the membership pay for itself, then go for it. But if you don't plan on playing there frequently and you will be traveling a lot to other courses, it wouldn't be very beneficial to purchase the membership.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I'd play as many as you can. I live in a golf free zone. There are 3 courses to pick from (that I'll actually play) one is $130 a round, and the other two are fair priced. I alternated between the 2 just to keep me on my toes. Like today for example I played an unfamiliar course and my score reflected it. I can usually hit 36-39 pretty easy on either front 9 and give or take a few for the back. Put up a 44 on the front today and a 43 on the back. I could easily get that to my normal round scores after playing it a few times. It has some pretty cool little quirks I found, fast greens, not many trees, and not much Beach front. It was a Symetra Tour stop in 2016. Pretty nice, although it's still partially dormant since Ned Stark is still here.

http://golfmichigan.com/localnews/details.cfm?NewsID=1576

I have a Monday-Thursday Membership at a local course which was on special (I have summers off!) Then I play other courses throughout the weekend as my wife and I spend time at the family cottage and other areas of Nova Scotia to get some variety in. Best of both worlds I think. Always nice having a change of scenery playing a variety of courses.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I'd play as many as you can. I live in a golf free zone. There are 3 courses to pick from (that I'll actually play) one is $130 a round, and the other two are fair priced. I alternated between the 2 just to keep me on my toes. Like today for example I played an unfamiliar course and my score reflected it. I can usually hit 36-39 pretty easy on either front 9 and give or take a few for the back. Put up a 44 on the front today and a 43 on the back. I could easily get that to my normal round scores after playing it a few times. It has some pretty cool little quirks I found, fast greens, not many trees, and not much Beach front. It was a Symetra Tour stop in 2016. Pretty nice, although it's still partially dormant since Ned Stark is still here.

http://golfmichigan.com/localnews/details.cfm?NewsID=1576

Sounds like a nice place Al

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

I belong to a club now and I'm loving it. My home course is very tight and demanding great for any kinds of game you want to play, skins, match, battle golf, my only gripe is half of the greens are on the small-ish size, but it's smooth and fast.

I used to play 4-6 rounds on the weekday doubles on a few days, I'd keep it interesting by playing with different sets, gi, blades, and playing with less clubs in the bag. Great thing about playing narrow course is when I play other course it's like driving range.

One great perk about playing on private course is practice, I can spend hours on different bunkers, working on certain short game and best way to attack each hole some time I play the same holes 4-5 times til I get comfortable.

The down side is playing alone, and I do that a lot and it can get old fast, now with less time I'd play 2 rounds at my home course and once on a public course each week, it seems to balance out my morale. Plus now my 3 year old daughter is caddying for me from time to time which is priceless.

I dropped my CC membership this year, largely due to the cost per round, over the cost of membership.  I traveled a lot last year and have always played a lot of "away golf" anyway.

Now I've got a "Great Life" membership for $600 per year for unlimited play at about a dozen courses within an hour, plus a lot of additional courses in SD/MN/IA/NE/KS/MO.

I picked up unlimited cart & range passes at my two closest GL courses and I'm still about $700 less cost than my CC membership was.  Of course, I can still play the CC as a guest, so it's well worth the switch, for me.

I can definitely lower my handicap, if I play most of my golf at one course and get familiar with it, but that's not the main reason I play golf.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I am someone who always likes to travel and not play the same course two weeks in a row. But I've found out that 1. I often play alone since my father passed and 2. I just need more rounds to get back to the level I want to be. So this year I bought a weekend pass to a local course. This way I have guaranteed rounds all year but it wasn't so expensive that it will prevent me from playing other places when I do have someone too go with, or I want to enter a tournament.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I am going to assume you live close to National since Indian Peaks doesn't offer a membership. If that's the case, the indoor practice facility at National they built for CU Boulder would tip the scale for me. I was at Coal Creek last year, very reasonable, fun track and really enjoyed it; but still debating where to pull the trigger this season.

On the personal development front, playing different courses will undoubtedly give you a much better picture of the state of your game for tournament golf (i.e. what needs the most work). Let's tee it up sometime pards!

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

... To be a well rounded player I think you need to play different courses. I am lucky because there are about 100 courses within 50 miles of my home in the Chicago suburbs. (unlucky because it is a short season) I love playing links style courses that call for a varied short game but allow me to really go after it on the tee. I also love the old oak lined courses where driving accuracy is a premium and the rough around the green is think and lush. Plan of courses that have varied conditions too. Not only do they help you develop a very well rounded game, that also provide a variety so I never get tired of playing.

... That said, you also have to put up with many different conditions from slow bumpy greens with poor ball mark repair, sketchy tee boxes and varying sand conditions. For me it is worth the trade off. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I joined a club last year, and re-upped this year because I've made several friends that I play with during the week.  It's a nice place to practice too.  However, my wife and I like to travel to play golf which adds to the expense.

The upside of playing at the club is lots of practice at one course, but it is also the downside.  I can score (not at the moment though) at my club because I have hit from just about everywhere and know what to expect.  I know the greens fairly well.  When we travel, all I am relying on is the quality of my ball striking because I usually don't know the course and I certainly don't know the greens.  My scores reflect that.

So, if you are playing in tournaments, I would opt for no membership and play whatever courses you want.  Your HCP will be better off.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I only bought my membership because 1) it was extremely convenient, only 4 minutes away from my office and 2) the practice facilities are exceptional. I don't like playing the same course over and over, especially walking one that's very spread out like my current course, but since it is so close and the practice facilities include a range, 3 practice holes 2 putting greens and a massive short game area, there is no excuse not to get at least 30 minutes in every day.

If you are looking to play a lot and don't spend a ton of time practicing or the courses you are considering aren't convenient, I would opt to avoid the membership in favor of variety.

Sent from my LG-H810 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Mizuno MP59 - KBS Tour -standard length and Lie (flex, length/lie)

Nike Vapor Fly - 8.5* Stiff

Right Handed

Buffalo Grove

15 HCP

I'm like some others.... I don't have that many options in the city where I live. I belong to a club only because of that reason. However, I do try and go play other courses in nearby cities/towns as much as possible. Most importantly to me is getting away from my local environment where it's flat and dry.

Therefore if I did live in a larger city metropolitan area with a lot of courses I'd not be a member at any one club/course. I might perhaps look into being able to purchase range privileges somewhere close by to practice.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I found playing the same course gets me into bad habits. Not going for it, basically settling for bogey golf. When I'm on other courses, I trust my equipment instead of my gut.

So I definitely enjoy hitting more courses, but with that being said, here in Ft Wayne we are blessed with great golf and reasonable rates

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I am going to assume you live close to National since Indian Peaks doesn't offer a membership. If that's the case, the indoor practice facility at National they built for CU Boulder would tip the scale for me. I was at Coal Creek last year, very reasonable, fun track and really enjoyed it; but still debating where to pull the trigger this season.

On the personal development front, playing different courses will undoubtedly give you a much better picture of the state of your game for tournament golf (i.e. what needs the most work). Let's tee it up sometime pards!

Any time. Yes I am practically on Peaks.

I've belonged to a club for a couple of years.

Clubs are only as good as the course and the groups that you find to play with. My club has a great course, tremendous practice facilities and lots of very nice people. It doesn't have a nice competitive game at a time that fits my schedule. That's the downer.

The course is very challenging and presents lots of different situations so my game travels pretty well.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Many: Wichita has a season pass which lets you play their 5 courses and they're all different styles, 1 is long & open, 1 is from the 20s, short tree lined w/small greens another is links style.

Hate to be stuck playing one course

Many - while I play my home course a lot, my Great Life membership allows me to play at close to 2 dozen courses with an hour's drive for no green fees or cart fees.

Many - while I play my home course a lot, my Great Life membership allows me to play at close to 2 dozen courses with an hour's drive for no green fees or cart fees.

Most of my nearest courses became Great Life courses over the past two years, so I dropped my CC membership in favor of more golf + less money.

Hoping to take advantage of my GL membership to extend my golf season a bit too, by driving south on I-29 to play courses in MO/KS in the Fall.

Maybe we can get together for some golf later this year.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I'm lucky enough to have low cost, "junior" membership through my parents at the country club to which they belong. I also play the lower cost public courses in my area on a regular basis. I can see the benefits of both and if I had to pick, I'd probably go with the CC. 

Here's why; the course conditions at this club are fantastic. If I were only playing public courses, to expect this kind of conditions, particularly the speed and quality of the greens, I would be looking at courses that charge $100 and up for a round. In addition to that, there are far fewer golfers on the course at any given time. Those that are on the course tend to be more, "serious" as in, they aren't out chugging beers, taking five hours to complete a round. Weekdays I can walk on anytime without saying a word and weekends I have to book a slot a day out if I want to play in the AM. Next, practice facilities. El Macero CC, is also the home of the UC Davis golf team. An endowment from the university paid for a world class short game area with multiple putting greens, bunkers, you name it. Probably covers a solid two acres of land. At the driving range, we hit off grass, there are greens, bunkers, well maintained flags with yardages dotting the infield. Just yesterday, I had my 15 month old son with me so I grabbed a cart and drove to the back end to hit while he crawled around and played with golf balls. You can't do that at most public courses. 

I don't often play with people other than my father so the social aspect isn't really a factor for me. I do occasionally pair up with someone from the UCD team if they're also out solo which is always a fun challenge.

On the public courses, I love the challenge of not being overly familiar with every course (well, my closest public course I am). Not knowing is a fun element of the game you can't get on your home course. I also enjoy getting paired up with people from all walks of life, you will meet some truly interesting characters on the course! I mean that in a positive way, no snark intended! I really enjoy being able to golf in a t-shirt!

All in all, their a perks to both but for day to day golf, I grateful to have access to a private club.

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

• 6 years later...

I have a week day membership at a course close by. I want to and try to play a few other courses, but they just aren't as close and with limited time I have only played the one so far this season... Monday however I have another one which I will be playing at!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

MANY .... and I mean VERY MANY! Variety is the spice of life, or so it is said.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

I have the best of both worlds. I have membership at a local club. I also travel for work at least once a month and I get to take customers golfing. On top of that I get to play many charity tournaments all over, for my company. Last check on my excel sheet shows over 150 different courses played. I’ll be adding another three in a couple weeks. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I have a membership to the three local munis in town. All three are well cared for and completely different from each other so there is always opportunity for variety. 95% of my rounds are between these three courses since it’s already paid for.

There are also two other 18 hole courses that are close by and three more after that which are within a 25 minute drive. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

I’m retired and have been since 2017.  I play 120+ rounds each year and play 85% on my home course in Texas,  Most of my other courses are vacation trips now or charity scrambles around the Dallas Fort Worth area.  I used the Club Corp One membership for years that allowed me access to clubs that are part of that system.  

My wife and I drive most of our vacation trips and love to play on the road.  We have played all  25 courses on the Robert Trent Jones Trail in Alabama.  We did this the first time over three trips in a year and a half.  We go back every year and play our favorites.  If anyone ever has the opportunity to play those tracks, I’d be happy to provide some insight for your trip planning.

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1

6 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I have the best of both worlds. I have membership at a local club. I also travel for work at least once a month and I get to take customers golfing. On top of that I get to play many charity tournaments all over, for my company. Last check on my excel sheet shows over 150 different courses played. I’ll be adding another three in a couple weeks. 

One of my best friends retired as a Senior Exec in the auto industry and bought some dealerships.  He sold out a few years ago and has semi retired  near Hilton Head now.  😛😛

He has a golf ball collection which is a logo ball from every club he has played and he has it on display in his office.  He’s up to 232 courses worldwide with the latest addition which was Pine Valley this past April. Yes that Pine Valley.   His wall is going to cave in if he adds many more to his display cases.  He’s hoping to play 350 different courses in his lifetime and I suspect he’ll make it.  
I wish I had kept track of all the courses I have played like you and he have. Its cool to be able to have that history.  I think I can claim at least 100 including 5 foreign countries.  I’d like to play one in each state.  Alaska might be a challenge.

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1