TESTERS WANTED! ×

Hole in One Stories

GolfSpy WD

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In 2002 I was living in Bowling Green, KY.  I lived on a golf course near the municipal airport.  It wasn't the best but because of it's proximity I played there time to time.  I was new to the area and didn't know anyone.  So as a result I was often paired up with groups that weren't excited to be playing with a stranger.  On one of these occasions I was paired with 2 surgeons and the son in law to one of them.  On the second par 3 of the first 9 I dropped my tee shot 18 inches past the hole and it backed in.  As it was my first ace I was ecstatic.  The individuals I was playing with however thought it trivial and I received a "good shot" from 2 of them followed by a command to tend the stick shortly after.  Needless to say the most coveted highlight of my career was ruined.  To top it off, no mention of my fortune was spoken of until we were in the clubhouse and it was then brought to my attention that I was responsible for drinks.  What should have been a fantastic event to be forever cherished was diluted to an expensive mistake.  There is a silver lining though.  5 years later I'm at home in Ohio.  3 of my friends and myself are on our home course on a 215 yd. par 3 and I 2-hop it in the cup.  They still bring it up, and I was a hero for a day.  Good stuff!

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

That's the saddest thing ever... you get paired with me, total stranger, and get an ace? I don't care if you haven't showered in a month - you will get handshakes, high fives, and probably a hug.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

That's the saddest thing ever... you get paired with me, total stranger, and get an ace? I don't care if you haven't showered in a month - you will get handshakes, high fives, and probably a hug.

Agreed. I'm a Michigan fan and I still woulda bought ya a beer. yes even after "the game" this year.

- Da Yooper

Fortunate to have had two Aces thus far, now almost 70 they were years apart. The first some 40 years back with mý old blade clubs was on the Sixth hole of Sylvan Lake Golf Course (Alberta) on Thanksgiving weekend that I didnt even see.Hitting into the sun and the course covered in leaves I hit my six iron on the 175yd hole playing with Uncle Mickey and Brother in law Marvin there was no sign of the ball as we approached the green, and after searching through the leaves with no luck..Marvin said " did you check in the hole?" I replied sure smart ass..but he then pulled it out of the cup. The second I saw..it was the first shot using my new Wishon Lob Wedge out golfing with the wife..103 yd Par 3 up high landed soft and rolled in the hole. The wife asked where did it go..I said in the hole, and she hasnt questioned my golf scores since..lol.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I have never had one myself but two stories of hole in ones I witnessed:

1: I was on the green of a par 3 when the group behind us decided to hit because it was a long par 3 and they were new to the game and didn't usually hit them solid. Well one of them did hit it solid and it landed a few feet short of the green and proceeded to roll on and straight into the hole. Normally we would be pissed at someone hitting into us but we all started jumping up and down and going yelling in excitement. Guy was super apologetic but there was no way we could mad at him. Shook his hand and congratulated him and he made sure we were well clear the rest of the round.

2: played in two groups of four down in Phoenix with one local who was the uncle of my sister in law. He was retired and played almost every day. He holed the first par three on the front nine and we went crazy for him, but he acted like it was no big deal which I thought was funny--he had several aces in his life. Well, two holes later on the next par 3 they happened to be doing a promo where you won a free car if you aced that hole. We thought that was pretty funny and asked him to do it again. He did not ace that one, I guess the pressure got to him :)

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Hole #3 at Holmes Park in Lincoln, NE. I was studying that day, but it was so nice outside I ran to the local course for 9 holes. I caught a threesome on the second hole, just in time to have witnesses. Dropped an 8 iron from 140, it landed 6 feet left and trickled in the side door.

This was back when Golf Channel televised holes-in-one on the show. I submitted it, but it never got air time. But they sent me a cool certificate, that I still have.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Haha I know that course, HighFade! I spent ten years growing up in Lincoln!

I've never gotten a hole in one, but I did get a really ugly hole in three once- in fact, my avatar is the shot of me collecting my ball. Me and a pal were up at my local muni, running late (as usual), so no warm up, and jittery from hustling up with our game. We flip, and I'm shooting first. A couple warm-up/practice swings, step in, and bang! Cold shanked it into the water. Uf da. At this point I can hardly hold the club, but I re-tee and step in. Deep breath and crack! I skulled it so bad it never got more than five feet off the ground (PW), but it flies dead straight into the green (sloped pretty steep back to front)and hits about eight feet on to a center pin. At that point I lost track of the ball, because I was shaking out my hands and cussing, but my buddy says "dude I think it went in". To this day he says it was a hole​ in one, he actually got a little flustered when I made him mark it 3.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Me too. Figure I'll have one after I win the lottery

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Me three.

Had a couple of 2's from the fairway.

213 was the longest and its a good thing a friend was coming off the green or noone would have belived me anyway.

And close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, they tell me.

Me three.

Had a couple of 2's from the fairway.

213 was the longest and its a good thing a friend was coming off the green or noone would have belived me anyway.

And close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, they tell me.

I have to disagree about horseshoes, I played competitively in 7 world tournaments and many State tournaments and let me tell you. If it ain't wrapped around the stake, might as well be in a water hazard. Best game 30/40 ringers in competition, 75%. I shoulda stuck with horseshoes.

Hand grenades, well I think close is good enough.

- Da Yooper

Golfing with my 9 year old daughter my friend and his daughter. Another daughter of mine came along for the walk. Third hole par 3 87 yards for my daughter to back pin over a ridge. My daughter rips 7 iron goes about a foot off the ground over the ridge hits the pin and goes in. Daughter calmly turns to her sister and continues her conversation with her. My friend and I start high fiving.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I made my only ace in a 36 hole PAT way back in the 1990's. The wind was blowing about 25mph sustained with gusts to 40 all day. No one passed that day. I made mine on a 166 yard uphill par 3 at Apple Tree Golf Course in Yakima Washington (#2). the wind was blowing straight into, and it was cold as s*** out. I tried to hit a little punch 6 under the wind. I heeled it a little, and it took off a little left of my target. When we get up to the green (couldn't see the surface from the tee) there was no ball to be found. I looked for 5 solid min, until I walked by the cup..... Best thing was that by the time we finished, the only people left in the bar were my group and my caddie. I only had to buy 5 drinks!

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Waaay back in 1982, on the 10th of july, when I was only 11 years old I made my ace..

I still played the ladies tee's because I was under 12.

The hole was the 18th and 162 meters long (177 yards) (from the ladies tee).. 

I played with an 18 year old golf buddy, who convinced me to play the last 9 holes, but I was a bit reluctant because I 'only' made 19 points at the first 9 holes..  

We carried on and I ended up with 45 points in total I think (9 under my handicap which was 37 at the time)..

As this was the last hole of the day, the fog was slowly coming in on the course (KØGE GOLF CLUB, DENMARK), so we could only barely see the flag on the green.. 

I took out my 3 wood, and hit a good straight shot, which headed right at the flag.. -But the thing is, on the 18'th hole there was/still is a fairly large bunker in front of the green, and we weren't sure if the ball landed directly in the bunker or it had jumped over it..

We walked down to the green and couldn't find the ball..   I checked behind the green, in the bunkers that was placed there, but no ball.. -My golfbuddy joked about 'It's proberbly in the hole Claus!' .. we checked the front bunker again, and eventually walked up to the cup.. 

There it was!!   TOP-FLITE XL in the cup..

Needless to say we cheered and yelled in surprice and joy  :D

Because of that hole-in-one I got my first full set of golf clubs (PING EYE's) and within a few years played in many tournaments here in Denmark.. -Even beat some of the guys who eventually became pros (Thomas Bjorn for instance).. 

The picture is me receiving a box of chocolate from the lead chairman / president of KØGE GOLF CLUB as a gift because of that hole-in-one. (the ball still hangs in the golf clubs restaurant)

Then when I got around 16-17 I started riding BMX, and pretty much quit golf..  

But one can never REALLY quit golf, and I've slowly started playing a few times in the last year or so (found a brand new set of PING K1's which I play now)..

-Claus

holeinone.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Playing this morning - maybe I'll have a great story for you!

It might be that I actually hit the green from the tee box, but that's about all I can promise! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have NOT gotten a Hole in one.. been close several times.. I missed seeing 2 by shear dumb luck.. 

1) My best friend and I played in a league through work. We'd play every thurs. morning.. Random draw the week before selects the groupings for the upcoming week.. We all are very close, but Jim is in the group behind me. # 11 @ Snohomish Golf course, plays 166 uphill. My group finished and tees off on 12. walking down the fairway we hear yelling behind us. Jim hits a nice shot off the flagstick, spends 5 min looking for his "lost ball" someone else grabs the flag and his ball is in the cup.. Oh he bought drinks..

2) My father in law, his best friend Jim and I go on a boys weekend every year to Couer D' Alene. Ron (father in laws best friend who has a hard time seeing but can still play with our eyes) can't make it.. so as we are driving back from couer d alene we get a phone call from Ron. He just made his first hole in one at 65 and didn't even get to see the shot let alone it go in the hole. We were so happy for him, just wish we were there to enjoy it with him.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I nailed my 4th at a prize hole at a scramble in front of about 20 people after my other 3 teammates missed the green.

A month later I missed #5 by inches from 180!

Sent from my SM-J700T using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I've had 5... but two of notice.

1. The old Wollaston Golf Club in Quincy Ma. about 2 weeks prior to starting reconstruction for what was to become the Presidents Golf Course.  The third hole is 150 downhill right into the teeth of a strong spring sea breeze (cold east wind)  I tried to hit a knock down 7, skulled down the hill, thru a bunker, and into the hole.

2. 2006 Golf Course Supt. Association or America Championship at Panther Trail in Woodlands Texas.  135 yd par 3, 9 iron one bounce and in.  The problem is that I was a candidate for election to the GCSAA Board of Directors that year.  Man did my credit card take a spanking that day with all the drinks I gave everyone.

Jim, The retired GC Superintendent

Jim the retired Golf Course Superintendent

... I have 2 double eagles but somehow I have escaped experiencing a hole in one. My cousin has never broken 100 and has 3 of them. I saw two. The first was a slice that started 40 yards left of the green, bounced a few times then tumbled onto the green and into the hole. The second one still makes me realize just how unfair golf can be.

... On a downhill short par 3 of 149 yds, he topped a 5 wood that actually hit the end if the tee box, bounced down the rocky hill, jumping OVER a narrow creek at the bottom, then up a slight incline gently nudging up against the flag and dropping in the hole. If you had seen it in a movie you would be complaining how unrealistic it was and it had to be CG. Yet he has 3 and I have 0. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I just think it's amazing that anyone can take a 1.5" diameter ball and smack it 300-500-600 yards down a field with trees, sand, water, whatever else in the way, and make it go in a 4.25" hole.. without losing it.

Just saying, bravo to all of us that at least sink a putt!!

I have two good ones.....

First, when I was about 12 years old was playing the local 9 hole golf course.  Hole was about 120 yards long and I pulled out my trusty 7 iron, I lined up the shot, stepped up to the ball, took a smooth backswing, then I made some kind of jerking motion and barely caught the top part of the ball.  The ball rolled under two trees then made a right turn and was headed for the bunker.  Somehow the ball missed the bunker, rolling just around the corner of it and onto the green.  No on the green the ball rolled toward the hole, most likely with the help of a few divots or spike marks, and ended up at the bottom of the cup!  I didn't tell anyone the details for years, just said I made a hole in one  :D

The other one was during a pro am, was about a 180 yard uphill par 3 with a hidden front pin placement.  This one I hit a good shot on and thought, "oh that's gonna work out well".  Headed back to my bag and someone on the other tee starts yelling, "its in the hole, its in the hole".  That one was fun  :)

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

My only hole in one never counted unfortunately. #10 at Camp Zama Japan years ago.

Hit  a low duff and it rolled all the way up on the green and dropped in the hole. Too bad the pin was on the other green....lol  Winter & summer greens on each hole back then.

Almost had a hole in 1 on a par 4 at Zama a few years later after I became a better golfer.

285 yd par 4, ball landed in the front fringe and rolled right up to 12" from the pin. dead on line, it was just short. I did make the putt for my Eagle too.

I have had a few close ones on par 3's though, just never lucky enough to have one drop in.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

Archived