TESTERS WANTED! ×

Hole in One Stories

GolfSpy WD

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never had a hole in one. In fact, the closest I've ever been was about 2' or 3' from the pin. I have made a double eagle however which was 50% luck and 50% being able to hit a golf ball a long ways!

Back in the mid 90's, I was visiting relatives in the south east (go to go to a Clemson game!) and we went to Myrtle Beach for a few days. I was 16 and nuts about golf so my parents dropped me off at a different, very cheap course every day where I would play solo. One day, I was partnered up with three extremely large men who chewed inordinate amounts of tobacco yet never spit. This was over 20 years ago so my memory is a bit hazy but to the best of my recollection, we had made the turn and the par 5 was the 10th going back out. My drive off the tee wasn't a monster, probably 285 or so after the roll out but it was straight as an arrow. My bag at the time consisted of a driver of unknown origin, a persimmon 3 wood and ping eye2's, 2i-SW. I had about 220 to the hole so I went with the 3i. I hit what felt like a great shot but finished with my head down and didn't see where it went. My usual shot at the time was a draw so after waiting for the good ol' boys to hit their third shots, I went looking for my ball to the left of the green. I did not find my ball. The good ol' boys did not find my ball. After 10 minutes of looking, I gave up and took a drop near the green and chipped on. After I chipped on, the other guys were ready to putt, one of the big guys pulled the pin, looked down and said, "found yer ball". 

I was very happy. All three of the guys I was playing with were thrilled for me and they all signed my scorecard as proof at the end of the round. I don't remember the rest of the holes at all but I do remember feeling like I was walking on air for the rest of the round.

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

Yes!   but none of them are mine :D ;) :mellow: :(

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

I think there is an existing hole in one thread :). But anyway, I've had one! It was at a golf course called Mellomar Golf Park (it's an executive 9) with a runway that bisects holes 2 and 4, lol. It was a par 3 hole number 8. It was getting close to dusk. The flag was only a pace or two off the middle edge of the green next to a trap with the slope running right to left on the green playing around 160yds. Hit the shot but lost it in the twilight dusk settling in. Thought it went into the sand trap next to the flag so I went looking for it. Couldn't find it so we all looked in the cup and there it was! Luckily for me there wasn't a bar there, lol.

One and only hole in one. I've had two other close calls within an inch of holing out but that's about it.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I didn't post in the other thread so I'll post mine here. Hole 16 playing from the tips. It's 205 yds up hill. I was 17 green is two tiered with ridge sitting in the middle. Flag was on the bottom that day so if you hit past the hole it will come back. It was late in the day and this hole looks right into the sun. I hit a 5 wood that took off right into the sun but I knew I hit it good just had no idea where it's landed. Get to the hole and there's no ball on the green or the back bunker or short. Partner says "check the hole" and there it was. I have 6-7 hole outs now and I've only seen one go in...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

Came close this past Sunday, it was tracking! I seen it hit the flag and roll away. We did get video

(And I did leave my birdie putt short)

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I think there is an existing hole in one thread :). But anyway, I've had one! It was at a golf course called Mellomar Golf Park (it's an executive 9) with a runway that bisects holes 2 and 4, lol. It was a par 3 hole number 8. It was getting close to dusk. The flag was only a pace or two off the middle edge of the green next to a trap with the slope running right to left on the green playing around 160yds. Hit the shot but lost it in the twilight dusk settling in. Thought it went into the sand trap next to the flag so I went looking for it. Couldn't find it so we all looked in the cup and there it was! Luckily for me there wasn't a bar there, lol.

One and only hole in one. I've had two other close calls within an inch of holing out but that's about it.

MDGolfHacker

Yeah I bet you ecstatic when you seen the ball on that pin!

Came close this past Sunday, it was tracking! I seen it hit the flag and roll away. We did get video

(And I did leave my birdie putt short)

Aww man. A short put always drives me crazy!

Yeah I bet you ecstatic when you seen the ball on that pin!

Very much so! :)

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Made my 4th Ace Today on the 3rd hole at Chambers Bay. It was 170yds hit a smooth 8 iron landed about 12 short and right of the home and rolled in like a putt. I told the Pro shop and they had me fill out a press release saying they could post the info. Then came the big surprise I got a 5 day 4 night stay at the Grand Mayan sweet in Puerto Vallarta!!IMG_0690.JPG

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

Made my 4th Ace Today on the 3rd hole at Chambers Bay. It was 170yds hit a smooth 8 iron landed about 12 short and right of the home and rolled in like a putt. I told the Pro shop and they had me fill out a press release saying they could post the info. Then came the big surprise I got a 5 day 4 night stay at the Grand Mayan sweet in Puerto Vallarta!!attachicon.gifIMG_0690.JPG

Congrats!! Enjoy that vacation!

- Alan

I drove 3 hrs. to play with my son. No idea where I could find an ATM. Met and got to mid round. We come up on a closest to the pin par 3 sponsored by Jr. Golf. I always enter to benefit the sponsor. $10, I turn to my son and asked to borrow $10. Typical kid, "I don't have any cash.". Hole pays $1,000 pro shop credit for hole-in-one. You guessed it. My second hole-in-one. Better story than the first one.

Day after Thanksgiving in '11. A pretty cool day low to mid 40s. Wind was blowing 25~30 out of the South. 158 yrds. Hole runs west to east. Using a 7 iron I hit the shot right going over the tops of trees that ran parallel to the hole. Wind brought it back & landed short of the hole then rolled in.

Biggest thing is that my playing partner called it in the air above the tree tops, and once again when it went in. I thought it went beyond the hole . And being a day after Thanksgiving & the weather only one other guy was out playing & he turned down the drink so only had to buy 1 for my partner.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have made 3 Aces in my life, unfortunately for me they all occurred more than 30 years ago (yes I am old.....not Ole Gray old, but still old...LOL)

First was when I was 13, 120 par 3 hit a 9 iron that never left the flag took 1 hop and rolled about 6 feet right into the cup.

Second one was pretty weird, I was 17 or 18 and the course I played most of the time had a short downhill dogleg left par 4 with a blind landing area hidden behind some very tall pine trees. You could either lay up to the turn with a mid iron and have another mid iron into the green or if you could hit your driver very high you could try and go over the trees and leave yourself a flip wedge to the green. We got to the tee box and I decided to go for it and hit a high bomb right over the trees, my 2 buddies said that's going to be perfect!! Well we walk around the bend and find that some kids had ridden dirt bikes on the green and  there is a temporary green that's about 20 yards short of the regular green. Both my buddies and laid up and they hit their shots and we walk down to the bottom of the hill where we thought my ball should be and we couldn't find it...we checked the rough around the area, I went back up and looked in the trees to see if I clipped a limb but no luck. I was just about the walk back up and hit another ball when one of my buddies said "maybe it's in the hole and started laughing", he walked on the temp green and immediately stopped laughing and started yelling because there was my ball at the bottom of the cup!

The last one was in a scramble tournament when I was 20, 160 or so yards. I hit a high 7 iron that landed on a slope and just fed down the hill right into the cup. I got nothing for it...no prize for an ace on that hole.....the next par 3 was 175 yards and there was a new truck for a prize for a hole in one....go figure.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I have never had a hole in one. In fact, the closest I've ever been was about 2' or 3' from the pin. I have made a double eagle however which was 50% luck and 50% being able to hit a golf ball a long ways!

Back in the mid 90's, I was visiting relatives in the south east (go to go to a Clemson game!) and we went to Myrtle Beach for a few days. I was 16 and nuts about golf so my parents dropped me off at a different, very cheap course every day where I would play solo. One day, I was partnered up with three extremely large men who chewed inordinate amounts of tobacco yet never spit. This was over 20 years ago so my memory is a bit hazy but to the best of my recollection, we had made the turn and the par 5 was the 10th going back out. My drive off the tee wasn't a monster, probably 285 or so after the roll out but it was straight as an arrow. My bag at the time consisted of a driver of unknown origin, a persimmon 3 wood and ping eye2's, 2i-SW. I had about 220 to the hole so I went with the 3i. I hit what felt like a great shot but finished with my head down and didn't see where it went. My usual shot at the time was a draw so after waiting for the good ol' boys to hit their third shots, I went looking for my ball to the left of the green. I did not find my ball. The good ol' boys did not find my ball. After 10 minutes of looking, I gave up and took a drop near the green and chipped on. After I chipped on, the other guys were ready to putt, one of the big guys pulled the pin, looked down and said, "found yer ball".

I was very happy. All three of the guys I was playing with were thrilled for me and they all signed my scorecard as proof at the end of the round. I don't remember the rest of the holes at all but I do remember feeling like I was walking on air for the rest of the round.

Heck my brother chews tobacco and drinks beer at the same time...

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I have made 3 Aces in my life, unfortunately for me they all occurred more than 30 years ago (yes I am old.....not Ole Gray old, but still old...LOL)

First was when I was 13, 120 par 3 hit a 9 iron that never left the flag took 1 hop and rolled about 6 feet right into the cup.

Second one was pretty weird, I was 17 or 18 and the course I played most of the time had a short downhill dogleg left par 4 with a blind landing area hidden behind some very tall pine trees. You could either lay up to the turn with a mid iron and have another mid iron into the green or if you could hit your driver very high you could try and go over the trees and leave yourself a flip wedge to the green. We got to the tee box and I decided to go for it and hit a high bomb right over the trees, my 2 buddies said that's going to be perfect!! Well we walk around the bend and find that some kids had ridden dirt bikes on the green and  there is a temporary green that's about 20 yards short of the regular green. Both my buddies and laid up and they hit their shots and we walk down to the bottom of the hill where we thought my ball should be and we couldn't find it...we checked the rough around the area, I went back up and looked in the trees to see if I clipped a limb but no luck. I was just about the walk back up and hit another ball when one of my buddies said "maybe it's in the hole and started laughing", he walked on the temp green and immediately stopped laughing and started yelling because there was my ball at the bottom of the cup!

The last one was in a scramble tournament when I was 20, 160 or so yards. I hit a high 7 iron that landed on a slope and just fed down the hill right into the cup. I got nothing for it...no prize for an ace on that hole.....the next par 3 was 175 yards and there was a new truck for a prize for a hole in one....go figure.

Hey watch it you old fart!  :D 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• 1 month later...

I was reading the other day that the first recorded hole in one was by young Tom Morris on 16 September 1869 8th hole first round of the British Open. I have been lucky enough to have made 3 in my time. The first 1996 in a tournament, won a pile of skins for that one. Then nothing for 20 years but hit flags and dented cups. Then last year got number 2 and this spring number 3. So the question is, how lucky have you been?

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

I've been very lucky I would say.  My first came when I was 13 on a 265 yard par 4, then I got my second one last Friday on a 115 yd par 3.  

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

2014 was my only hole in one on a par 3 150 something.

And I have one Eagle on a par 4.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

As much golf as I have played I have never had one on a regulation course. I have torn corners out of cups etc but never had one down in the cylinder. Now the course my old man ran had a Par 3 course with the longest hole being 98 yards. Now remember I played that thing from when I was 5 years old up until that place closed in 93. I had 198 in total on it. Had HIO on it with everything from a 5 iron to a 60* wedge. The Par 3 course up the road from me called Tupelo Bay the longest hole on it is 105 yards. I have had 5 on it in the 17 years I have been here playing it on and off. Another Par 3 course on the North end called Harbor View is a little longer but I did have 2 in the same night in the same round #4 and #6 playing in a Shootout with a side skins game. Won a boat load of money that night. it was a 2 man best ball and we had side bets and all. 

One of my friends suggested some time ago I had used all of my luck on the Par 3 courses and now at 60 years old I think he might be correct but still hoping someday

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

As much golf as I have played I have never had one on a regulation course. I have torn corners out of cups etc but never had one down in the cylinder. Now the course my old man ran had a Par 3 course with the longest hole being 98 yards. Now remember I played that thing from when I was 5 years old up until that place closed in 93. I had 198 in total on it. Had HIO on it with everything from a 5 iron to a 60* wedge. The Par 3 course up the road from me called Tupelo Bay the longest hole on it is 105 yards. I have had 5 on it in the 17 years I have been here playing it on and off. Another Par 3 course on the North end called Harbor View is a little longer but I did have 2 in the same night in the same round #4 and #6 playing in a Shootout with a side skins game. Won a boat load of money that night. it was a 2 man best ball and we had side bets and all. 

One of my friends suggested some time ago I had used all of my luck on the Par 3 courses and now at 60 years old I think he might be correct but still hoping someday

Par 3 course or not that's a mess of hole outs, one might have to agree you may have used up all your luck. Hope one day you hole one out on a big course.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

Archived