Hole in One Stories

GolfSpy WD

I have never had a hole in one. In fact, the closest I've ever been was about 2' or 3' from the pin. I have made a double eagle however which was 50% luck and 50% being able to hit a golf ball a long ways!

Back in the mid 90's, I was visiting relatives in the south east (go to go to a Clemson game!) and we went to Myrtle Beach for a few days. I was 16 and nuts about golf so my parents dropped me off at a different, very cheap course every day where I would play solo. One day, I was partnered up with three extremely large men who chewed inordinate amounts of tobacco yet never spit. This was over 20 years ago so my memory is a bit hazy but to the best of my recollection, we had made the turn and the par 5 was the 10th going back out. My drive off the tee wasn't a monster, probably 285 or so after the roll out but it was straight as an arrow. My bag at the time consisted of a driver of unknown origin, a persimmon 3 wood and ping eye2's, 2i-SW. I had about 220 to the hole so I went with the 3i. I hit what felt like a great shot but finished with my head down and didn't see where it went. My usual shot at the time was a draw so after waiting for the good ol' boys to hit their third shots, I went looking for my ball to the left of the green. I did not find my ball. The good ol' boys did not find my ball. After 10 minutes of looking, I gave up and took a drop near the green and chipped on. After I chipped on, the other guys were ready to putt, one of the big guys pulled the pin, looked down and said, "found yer ball".

I was very happy. All three of the guys I was playing with were thrilled for me and they all signed my scorecard as proof at the end of the round. I don't remember the rest of the holes at all but I do remember feeling like I was walking on air for the rest of the round.

Heck my brother chews tobacco and drinks beer at the same time...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Cleveland Launcher XL 10.5 Driver
Cleveland Launcher xl halo hy-wood 18 Degree
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 7- wood
Cleveland Launcher XL Irons 5 - PW 
Cleveland CBX 2 50 & 54 Degree Wedge
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey 
 Dual Force Rossie 1 Broom Stick  Putter 47 inch
Square Strike Wedge aka pocket picker 

I have made 3 Aces in my life, unfortunately for me they all occurred more than 30 years ago (yes I am old.....not Ole Gray old, but still old...LOL)

First was when I was 13, 120 par 3 hit a 9 iron that never left the flag took 1 hop and rolled about 6 feet right into the cup.

Second one was pretty weird, I was 17 or 18 and the course I played most of the time had a short downhill dogleg left par 4 with a blind landing area hidden behind some very tall pine trees. You could either lay up to the turn with a mid iron and have another mid iron into the green or if you could hit your driver very high you could try and go over the trees and leave yourself a flip wedge to the green. We got to the tee box and I decided to go for it and hit a high bomb right over the trees, my 2 buddies said that's going to be perfect!! Well we walk around the bend and find that some kids had ridden dirt bikes on the green and  there is a temporary green that's about 20 yards short of the regular green. Both my buddies and laid up and they hit their shots and we walk down to the bottom of the hill where we thought my ball should be and we couldn't find it...we checked the rough around the area, I went back up and looked in the trees to see if I clipped a limb but no luck. I was just about the walk back up and hit another ball when one of my buddies said "maybe it's in the hole and started laughing", he walked on the temp green and immediately stopped laughing and started yelling because there was my ball at the bottom of the cup!

The last one was in a scramble tournament when I was 20, 160 or so yards. I hit a high 7 iron that landed on a slope and just fed down the hill right into the cup. I got nothing for it...no prize for an ace on that hole.....the next par 3 was 175 yards and there was a new truck for a prize for a hole in one....go figure.

Hey watch it you old fart!  :D 

Odyssey 

• 1 month later...

I was reading the other day that the first recorded hole in one was by young Tom Morris on 16 September 1869 8th hole first round of the British Open. I have been lucky enough to have made 3 in my time. The first 1996 in a tournament, won a pile of skins for that one. Then nothing for 20 years but hit flags and dented cups. Then last year got number 2 and this spring number 3. So the question is, how lucky have you been?

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

I've been very lucky I would say.  My first came when I was 13 on a 265 yard par 4, then I got my second one last Friday on a 115 yd par 3.  

• Like 3

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

2014 was my only hole in one on a par 3 150 something.

And I have one Eagle on a par 4.

• Like 2

:taylormade-small: Stealth + 9*

:taylormade-small: Stealth + 3 wood

:cleveland-small: UHX 3 18*

:titleist-small:  U505 20*

:titleist-small: T300 5i / 48*

:taylormade-small: G3 50/9 54/11 58/8                   

:taylormade-small: GT Spider 

:titleist-small: 22 pro v1

As much golf as I have played I have never had one on a regulation course. I have torn corners out of cups etc but never had one down in the cylinder. Now the course my old man ran had a Par 3 course with the longest hole being 98 yards. Now remember I played that thing from when I was 5 years old up until that place closed in 93. I had 198 in total on it. Had HIO on it with everything from a 5 iron to a 60* wedge. The Par 3 course up the road from me called Tupelo Bay the longest hole on it is 105 yards. I have had 5 on it in the 17 years I have been here playing it on and off. Another Par 3 course on the North end called Harbor View is a little longer but I did have 2 in the same night in the same round #4 and #6 playing in a Shootout with a side skins game. Won a boat load of money that night. it was a 2 man best ball and we had side bets and all. 

One of my friends suggested some time ago I had used all of my luck on the Par 3 courses and now at 60 years old I think he might be correct but still hoping someday

• Like 6

Driver ---- Honma G1_X Stock tuned Honma R shaft---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

As much golf as I have played I have never had one on a regulation course. I have torn corners out of cups etc but never had one down in the cylinder. Now the course my old man ran had a Par 3 course with the longest hole being 98 yards. Now remember I played that thing from when I was 5 years old up until that place closed in 93. I had 198 in total on it. Had HIO on it with everything from a 5 iron to a 60* wedge. The Par 3 course up the road from me called Tupelo Bay the longest hole on it is 105 yards. I have had 5 on it in the 17 years I have been here playing it on and off. Another Par 3 course on the North end called Harbor View is a little longer but I did have 2 in the same night in the same round #4 and #6 playing in a Shootout with a side skins game. Won a boat load of money that night. it was a 2 man best ball and we had side bets and all. 

One of my friends suggested some time ago I had used all of my luck on the Par 3 courses and now at 60 years old I think he might be correct but still hoping someday

Par 3 course or not that's a mess of hole outs, one might have to agree you may have used up all your luck. Hope one day you hole one out on a big course.

• Like 3

I've had two; same hole... 122y and 134y.  Almost two others (less than a couple of inches) at different courses, both playing 190y.

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've had two; same hole... 122y and 134y.  Almost two others (less than a couple of inches) at different courses, both playing 190y.

Seeing everyone's comments on this is really neat because many are quoting distances, funny how you remember the detail of one shot. I can recall clubs, distances among other things about each one. Such a great game.

• Like 2

Par 3 course or not that's a mess of hole outs, one might have to agree you may have used up all your luck. Hope one day you hole one out on a big course.

Percentage wise probably not. There is no telling how many rounds I had on that course. the 7th green was right beside our house and I would walk over and pitch and putt there. Actually that is where and how I developed my short game. I could walk over and start on the 8th tee. On the weekends the 9 hole regulation course would be crowded and hardly no one would be on the Par 3 so I spent a lot of time on it. In between cart duties I used to play #1 and #9 if I had a huge break I played 1,2,8 and 9. The last 2 days it was open I played the Par 3 numerous times trying to get to 200 but did not do it. We kept up with the count because I always tried to catch this one old man who played it all the time. He had a half swing due to an injury when he was young and played it with a 5 and 7 iron. Now he passed somewhere around 80 or 81 but he did have 205 HIOs on it. 

• Like 1

Driver ---- Honma G1_X Stock tuned Honma R shaft---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

I posted this some time ago, but I guess I can post it again.  My one and only (so far) HI1 came at a good Muni in Fairfax, Va. called Twin Lakes "The Lakes Course" number 6. This is a 165 yard par 3 with a bunker protecting the right front of the green. The group I played with would play 3 six hole "Team" matches based on handicaps, and stableford score for the team (bogie worth 1, Par worth 2 Birdie worth 3 Eagle worth 4 etc)

My partner and I are down by 6 points going into the last hole of this 6-hole match and I say to him "All we need to do is ace both of our shots and we can win this match!!!" We all chuckle and I get up to make my shot. Wind is blowing at about 10 MPH directly into us on this cool Saturday morning, rain threatening, and not many other folks on the course- I stripe a 5 iron which bores thru the wind and lands behind the lip of the bunker out of our collective site, but on line with the flag. One of our opponents says to me - "I think that went in..." I was not sure, but knew that I hit it well- I turn to my partner and say "OK, your turn" we laugh again, he proceeds to drop it in the trap on the front of the green. As we walk up, sure enough, my ball is in the hole! for my one and only Ace so far in my career! - needless to say we did not win that match and I still rib my buddy about it to this day, and I was lucky, as there were no other players in the clubhouse when we got there, so the round was not all that expensive!!!

• Like 2

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

I have had one HIO so far and that was when I was 16!! I remember hitting the shot and I thought it was way short, out of my mouth came Ahh S#%T!! and then it bounced on top of the hill and rolled toward the hole. You can't see the green from the tee as it's a bowl shaped green so I still thought I was short. You can imagine my surprise when I found my ball in the hole. It was also my 13th shot of the day and don't ask what I shot that day, I can't remember any of the rest of the round. I have seen another three and been within inches of a second.

• Like 1

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges: :cleveland-small:     RTX Zipcore - LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: Barbados Island 2
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Having played for 20 years give or take, I've only been lucky enough to get close a few times =(

Still happy for birdies though lol

BigTazz

Chicks dig the LONG ball!

Follow me and #TeamLexi

#J_Wurz

#EthanSterlingPrice

#strokerAce

during the #CobraConnectChallenge

Twitter:  @bigtazzGOLF

Instagram: bigtazzgolf

Facebook: steve.rayburn

#PowerToThePlayer  #CobraConnectMGS

• Like 1
         Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

still waitin'  :(

Driver:   :honma: TR20 10.5*

Fairway: :callaway-small: Epic Speed 5w

Hybrid:   :callaway-small: Epic 4h 23* 

Irons:    :mizuno-small: JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :mizuno-small:M Craft Type V

Ball:   :bridgestone-small: Tour BXS

I got my first one at 60 years old and then had another one on the same hole a year later.  Hang in their folks as it's never too late!

• Like 2

Odyssey 

Got my 3rd one today!!  158y 7i.  First one came in 2000, 9 years after I took up this game.  Second one was in 2009.  So, 9 years for the first; 9 years for the second, and a little over 8 years for the third.  I hope I have 9 more years left!

• Like 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”