TESTERS WANTED! ×

Does anyone walk anymore?

I live in the desert so we don't get much rain, but on days that looks like we might get a shower before the round is over, I carry and umbrella to mount on the cart.  Yesterday was a nice warm sunny day, and I walked with the guys I usually play with during the week.  I was thinking it might be a good time to start putting the umbrella on the bag for shade!!

My buds and I were on a golf trip in Arizona playing what I guess could be called a desert course.   All along the course were signs suggesting that we beware of rattlesnakes.   Those signs were enough to make us happy that we were in the carts.

I walk cause it saves me about 20 bucks a round and I feel like a lazy arse if I'm in a cart.

I also don't want to be 'that guy' who runs back to the cart when it's 90 degrees/cart path only when he grabs the wrong club.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I still enjoy the walk...I recently got off the cart plan at my local course, to help save money with a new baby, and start walking more. Wow has it forevermore helped my game. I play so much better and get to enjoy the course a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Ping G30 Tour 65

Fairway: Ping G30 Tour 80

Hybrid: Taylormade SLDR S 21*

Irons: Mizuno MP-54 KBS TOUR S

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T4 50* KBS TOUR,

Titleist Vokey 55*, 60* KBS Hi-RevS

Putter: SeeMore fgp Original 35", 69*, 2.5*

Ball: Bridgestone B-330 S

I only walk unless I have to cart, helps me "feel one" with the course and burn some calories!

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

I prefer walking as well. I can get into a steady rhythm and it keeps me loose. Clicgear 3.5 is my best friend.

In My Bag

TM Stealth +, PX T1100 ,6.5 

TM Stealth+ Rocket 3W, PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5

TM Stealth 5W, PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon GOST 95HX

TM P790 5-PW TT DG X100

TM Hi Toe Raw 50, 54, 58

Evnroll ER5 

Snell MTB X YELLOW

I only walk. There are a few nice courses near me I never play because they are designed for carts with long distances from green to next tee box. Just not a fun walking course.

Walking burns calories, allows a rhythm with my clubs clacking as I carry. I can walk straight to my ball and I don't need a range finder as I just count my steps after I pass the closest yard marker.

I ditched the pull cart a few years ago, I find it easier just to carry my clubs.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I too got back to walking more this season,it was a goal of mine to get some more steps in this year and it just seemed logical.  My dad and I got season passes to a par 3 course so i have been walking that course every time I play there.  It has reminded me how peaceful and calming it is to not ride again.  When I played in high school I never rode and shot some of the best golf in my life.  I can see already from playing there that walking is helping me to lower my scores.  My hope is that this will translate over to when I play with my buddies on the weekends, we always ride for those rounds.

Can't wait to walk the course again. My 2nd and last knee replacement is done gona give it a go.

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I had my left knee done 3 years ago, and walking the course is the best exercise for it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Yes!

With a push cart, though, don't carry. Only cart it when forced, eg. a charity outing. Or wife makes me of we're gonna do 18 and my hip is hurting :(

Am going to try to avoid courses that make you take a cart - we can debate forever whether it speeds up play .. or not ... but I think it's just another source of revenue/profits for the course....

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I use an electric trolley powakaddy fw3. I walk from my house up hill 1 mile to the course play 18 sometime 27 then walk home.

Like the old saying goes if you don`t use it you lose it....keep that heart working.

:callaway-small: rouge subzero Fujikura Evo 2 shaft

:titelist-small:  F2  3 wood Mitsubishi rayon 

:titelist-small:  818.21 hybrid Even flow black

Ben Hogan irons apex 4 shafts 

:mizuno-small: S18 wedges 50/54/58

:titelist-small:  Cameron and Crown M1

Since July 2016 i've lost 101 lbs, for the last couple months I've started walking the courses we play.  Even 2 of my other regulars have started walking also.  I now like it more than riding.  Here in AZ I have yet to find a course w/ a Walking Rate, but that's secondary to why I walk vs ride.

Thanks,

Jack

I will always walk unless a course is carts only. I tend to find it takes longer for me to get in a rhythm if I cart. So walk, walk, walk

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I usually take my cue from who I am playing with.  If everyone wants to ride I ride, if they want to walk, I walk.  Unless the course is particularly hilly or the green to tee distance is overly long, my first choice is to walk.

Having said that, I live in Seattle and we have a lot of cart path only days, who wants to ride then?  Not Me.  I would say between October and May 95% of the time it is cart path only.  Most of the time it is because the ground warrants it, other times because the greens keepers are idiots.   Here we are past the middle of May and all the courses in the area are "cart path only".  So I walk.

Now I am leaving for a tournament out of town, we are going to play 8 rounds in 5 days.  I always ride during a tournament.  Also I find when I play a lot of back to back days or particularly back to back 36 hole days, it makes a little more sense to ride.  It has been about 5 years since I walked 36.

Also, a number of golf courses I play out of town in places like Hawaii and Arizona, they usually won't let you walk.  If you walk in AZ from June to September, the heat could kill you.

I started playing when I was 9 and I will be 66 this summer, I played several years before I even saw my first golf cart.  We walked all the time.  

I too walk and I really enjoy it.  I moved from Atlanta to Denver a few years ago and I always rode in Atlanta due to it being very hilly most places I played.  Denver on the other hand it relatively flat around town so walking is much easier.  I also love it because it saves me money and I get to count it as my exercise for the day... so I got that going for me, which is nice.  

- Jarrod

What's In My Bag, as of May 2017:

Driver:  Tour Edge E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rouge Black 60S

Woods:  Titleist 906F 15 degree and 18 degree w/ Aldila NV 65S in both

Irons:  Calloway Apex Pros 3i - PW w/ Veylix Alpina 673S

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey 54 and 60 degree w/ True Temper S300

Putter:  Ping Cadence Ketesh Traditional 35 Inches

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x

Bag: Ping Hoofer

Follow me @chuckstunnings

I too walk and I really enjoy it.  I moved from Atlanta to Denver a few years ago and I always rode in Atlanta due to it being very hilly most places I played.  Denver on the other hand it relatively flat around town so walking is much easier.  I also love it because it saves me money and I get to count it as my exercise for the day... so I got that going for me, which is nice.  

Do you find a difference with the thin air?

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Just wondering if there any walkers left. I recently returned to the joys of walking the course. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the idea of leaving the cart behind and playing in a much more relaxed state of mind. Also, it seems to me that I play better when walking. Anyone else enjoy putting one foot in front of the other when playing?

I walk 95% of my rounds. I use a push cart. Nothing like a good walk on the course. 😎

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Love and prefer to walk. So many courses unfortunately don't even allow it. As course designs have shifted and many courses are built into neighborhoods the greens and tees are often built too far apart to compliment walking and it becomes a pace of play issue.

My golfing buddy has a cart so only if we are not playing together do i walk with a push cart.

a. Iron specs (flex, length/lie)taylormade rsi 1 7 iron through aw, vokey sm5 54 and vokey sm4 58 standard length and lie

b. Driver specs (loft/flex)taylormade m2 reg flex fujikura pro 70 shaft out of m1 3 wood

c. Dexterity (right or left-handed)right

d. Where You Live waterloo iowa

e. Your handicap or average 18 hole score 15 hdcp

Do you find a difference with the thin air?

I did when I first moved to Denver a few years ago but once you get acclimated to the air, it becomes a non-issue.  

- Jarrod

What's In My Bag, as of May 2017:

Driver:  Tour Edge E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rouge Black 60S

Woods:  Titleist 906F 15 degree and 18 degree w/ Aldila NV 65S in both

Irons:  Calloway Apex Pros 3i - PW w/ Veylix Alpina 673S

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey 54 and 60 degree w/ True Temper S300

Putter:  Ping Cadence Ketesh Traditional 35 Inches

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x

Bag: Ping Hoofer

Follow me @chuckstunnings

I am pretty impressed that there are so many people that still walk courses when they play, and the fact that it seems the majority of the courses allow you to walk or give you a cheaper rate.

Do any of you notice a drastic difference in the quality of the courses that you walk compared the the courses that require a cart? Maybe this is unique to my neck of the woods, but it seems that the public courses that allow you to walk or give you a break in the rate for walking around me are the older courses that have become a little rough around the edges. You know, the courses that have 1 bunker for an entire 18 holes since grass has overtaken the rest of them, or the ones that look like a converted pasture with only have two cuts of grass - rough/fairway (which I just consider all fairway so I can say I hit a perfect 14/14 FIRS for my round) and green. And even some of those courses don't provide that much of a break for walking - the cart is either built into the price already or it is maybe $5 cheaper to walk. Most of the nicer, well maintained courses with some semblance of creativity and design in my area don't allow you to walk. And I live in Southern Michigan, so we don't have rolling hills and crazy elevation changes or anything like that going on, so it's no like the courses wouldn't be walkable.

Curious to see if you guys find that to be true in other states as well, or if I am just crazy.

All that being said, I like to consider myself a hybrid walker on the courses I play since most require a cart. From time to time I make my playing partner drive the cart up to the green and I will walk from my second shot up to the green before jumping in the cart to get to the next hole. Especially after hitting a bad shot- I just seem to be able to clear the bad shots out a little better walking to the next shot instead of racing there in the cart.

Driver: Nike Covert Tour 2.0, Kuro Kage Silver TiNi (S) cut to 44.5" -- Wood: Callaway X-Hot pro 4 Wood 17* stock project x shaft (S) Hybrid: Bridgestone Precept ECU 21* (S) -- Irons: Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro KBS C taper (S) -- Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 54*, 58* (W) -- Putter: Odyssey O Works Red #7s 35” -- Bucket List Courses Played: Forest Dunes, The Loop at Forest Dunes Black and Red, All Tree Tops courses, Black Wolf Run, The Irish Course at Whistling Straits

I am pretty impressed that there are so many people that still walk courses when they play, and the fact that it seems the majority of the courses allow you to walk or give you a cheaper rate.

Do any of you notice a drastic difference in the quality of the courses that you walk compared the the courses that require a cart? Maybe this is unique to my neck of the woods, but it seems that the public courses that allow you to walk or give you a break in the rate for walking around me are the older courses that have become a little rough around the edges. You know, the courses that have 1 bunker for an entire 18 holes since grass has overtaken the rest of them, or the ones that look like a converted pasture with only have two cuts of grass - rough/fairway (which I just consider all fairway so I can say I hit a perfect 14/14 FIRS for my round) and green. And even some of those courses don't provide that much of a break for walking - the cart is either built into the price already or it is maybe $5 cheaper to walk. Most of the nicer, well maintained courses with some semblance of creativity and design in my area don't allow you to walk. And I live in Southern Michigan, so we don't have rolling hills and crazy elevation changes or anything like that going on, so it's no like the courses wouldn't be walkable.

Curious to see if you guys find that to be true in other states as well, or if I am just crazy.

All that being said, I like to consider myself a hybrid walker on the courses I play since most require a cart. From time to time I make my playing partner drive the cart up to the green and I will walk from my second shot up to the green before jumping in the cart to get to the next hole. Especially after hitting a bad shot- I just seem to be able to clear the bad shots out a little better walking to the next shot instead of racing there in the cart.

There are no courses in my area that require a cart.  Most courses are very walkable; a couple are tough walking but many do it.  Price of carts are typically $15/seat.  A cart comes with my membership and my wife and I ride on the weekend, but I walk during the week.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Most courses I play (aside from the really high end ones, where most have complimentary valet), carts are extra. I rarely ride so couldn't be sure but probably 15-20 for a round or so

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ha, the place I volunteer at .. and so play most often .. used to be called "The Cow Pasture" - it literally was! New guy took over several years ago and put a lot of effort into making it nicer, tho it still has that 'natural' look ;-) a few rough patches, and mostly those two cuts you'd mentioned. But it's fun.

Anyway, I always walk there and other courses I go. Exception would be if playing 18 with the wife and she ran a few miles that morning and wants to ride that day, or at a club where it's required - but that's infrequent.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg