TESTERS WANTED! ×

Does anyone walk anymore?

I always walk unless its a ridiculously long and hilly course. Better feel of what your doing.

Alfred

WITB:

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex, 9.5 Degrees

FW: Cobra F7, 14.5 Degrees

Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot 19 Degrees

UT Iron: Callaway Apex UT 18 Degrees

Irons: 4-6i King Cobra LTD Pro CB

Irons: 7-PW King Cobra LTD Pro MB

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3 50 MG, 58 FG

Putter: Nike Method

The only time I take a cart...

1) if it's insanely hot outside

2) if the course is too hilly to walk

3) if I'm in a hurry and need to play fast

Generally I get out and play about 5 holes every Saturday morning super early (6 AM) for a bit of practice and I always walk.  The course is quiet and I'm out before the grounds keeping crews hit the course.  It gives me time to relax, practice several different shots and get my mind off everything else.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes walking is great! It's exercise and typically a third cheaper per round. I bought a clic gear cart and it's so simple now. The challenge is convincing your friends to buy a cart as well....those lazy a's.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

A middle aged guy working hard to lower his handicap and have as much fun doing it. I'm typically a Titleist guy but last year put Srixon irons in the bag and have loved them. I've been lucky enough to play 3 times in the UK as well, just getting back from England and Ireland in July so I can help with questions on that front as well. 

Interesting day today at the course. We normally have a lot of walkers of all ages as the course isn't that long and there are only a few hills which I would consider a climb. I've only walked the course and find it a good walk.

All that being said it was a nice day and the weather started to get hot for here and absolutely everyone took a cart and avoided having to walk. Even ppl finishing 9 were coming in asking for a cart. For reference it was 24C so 76F.

Does anyone else find weather plays a big part in whether they take a cart or not? Or what is too hot for walking?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Interesting day today at the course. We normally have a lot of walkers of all ages as the course isn't that long and there are only a few hills which I would consider a climb. I've only walked the course and find it a good walk.

All that being said it was a nice day and the weather started to get hot for here and absolutely everyone took a cart and avoided having to walk. Even ppl finishing 9 were coming in asking for a cart. For reference it was 24C so 76F.

Does anyone else find weather plays a big part in whether they take a cart or not? Or what is too hot for walking?

I walked my course yesterday and even though it was 90 degrees, humidity was low and we some breeze so I was never uncomfortable.

But once the humidity kicks in and it's blazing hot, I'll probably either play early am or just break down and use a cart.

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

The only courses around here that require a cart area the ones that weave through a housing development. Although some of the nicer courses encourage riding, no break for walking. Something like $50 to walk, $55 to ride.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

The only time I take a cart...

1) if it's insanely hot outside

2) if the course is too hilly to walk

3) if I'm in a hurry and need to play fast

... I have a remote cart and follow two of your guidelines. Walking without pushing or pulling is the best way to play and most of us can't afford a full time caddy. Keeps me loose, involved with the course, the next shot and gives me more time with nature. Nothing quite like a screeching hawk overhead as you walk down a fairway. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Absolutely. Every single round.

I have played some courses, though, where there is literally a 1/4 mile walk between holes. No all that fun...

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Used to mostly walk, at least 80% of the time. Loved it, played better and the exercise on the hilly courses where I played was great.

Back issues, hip issues, torn achilles put an end to that. Back and hip have since greatly improved but the present home course is not walker friendly. I've since adjusted and can tolerate riding.

Nearly effortless routine of 27 or 36 holes has won me over. 😉

I allway's walk... I'm a budget golfer and i find it a waste of money that i can spend on other things golf related ;)

I find it a pleasure to walk the cours and get a better feeling with it. I'm more 'into ' the game if i walk too.

Driver:           :PXG:0811 XF GEN4 10,5 Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 60 regular shaft.

Hybrids:        :cobra-small:  FLY-Z 3/4/5 , VLCT ALTUS R-flex 75gr. shaft.

Irons:             :cobra-small:  Speedzone One Length Irons 5-GW - KBS Tour 90 Regular shaft.

Wedges:        ST8TS Tour T Wedges 52-56-60 + 1,5cm KBS regular shaft.

Putter:            MLA Tour XDream 'Black Edition' Superstroke 3.0 slim (standard 34")

Ball's:             :honma: D1 and TW-X for the moment till i can find a better deal 😉

Rangefinder:  Garmin Fenix 6X Pro, ZIYOUHU Chinese laser, Garmin Approach X40., SwingU app.

Privileged to been testing the MLA Tour XDream BLACK EDITION SuperStroke 3.0 slim AND SwingU app for MyGolfSpy!

I allway's walk... I'm a budget golfer and i find it a waste of money that i can spend on other things golf related ;)

I find it a pleasure to walk the cours and get a better feeling with it. I'm more 'into ' the game if i walk too.

My feelings exactly.

I find that I can walk 9 holes in any weather with no problem and I enjoy doing so.  When I play 18, I always run out of gas somewhere on the back.  If it's hot and humid (which it seems it always is now that I live near DC) it's usually around hole ~14, and if the weather is nice I'll make it to about ~17 before there's little left in the tank.  It's a goal of mine to get in good enough shape where this doesn't happen.  Golf is so expensive here that the cost saving is another incentive.  It's tough for me at the moment because my league only plays 18 hole matches and if I'm taking time off work to go and play I'm going to make sure I enjoy myself.

Sean K.

Driver: :callaway-small: Great Big Bertha, 10.5o, -1"
Wood: :srixon-small: Z-F85, 3W, 15o
Hybrids: :titelist-small: 818 H1, 19o
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Hot Metal 4-GW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2.0 55o, 60o
Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour: Tour Impact No. 3
Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star

2017 Vice Pro Forum Review
2019 Tommy Armour Tour Impact No.3 Forum Review

what do you do if you're a single playing with either 2 or 3 other guys that have a cart ??

I've been the only "walker" in this situation and sometimes it sucks because they either have holes that are spaced really far apart or the guys with the carts zoom away to their balls after the tee shot, or both.

either way it seems like you have to "hustle" the entire time to keep up...

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

what do you do if you're a single playing with either 2 or 3 other guys that have a cart ??

I've been the only "walker" in this situation and sometimes it sucks because they either have holes that are spaced really far apart or the guys with the carts zoom away to their balls after the tee shot, or both.

Don't feel rushed. I know... hard to do, but with time you get more used to it.  Let them wait; play your own game.  If they don't want to converse between shots, just walk your normal pace.  If the course is crowded, they will be waiting for their next shot anyway.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Haha! I get into this situation a lot. Usually though, the guys I am playing with are awful golfers, so I EASILY make the time back by not having to search for lost balls on every hole! :)

I walk all the time when I golf. I prefer the exercise of it all and more importantly, it helps me learn exactly what my shots and what length I hit my clubs.

915 Titleist D2 Driver

915 Titleist 3w

Cleveland CG2 Irons 2-PW

Cleveland RTX Wedges 50, 56, 60

Nike Method Putter

Balls - Nike RZN black

Haha! I get into this situation a lot. Usually though, the guys I am playing with are awful golfers, so I EASILY make the time back by not having to search for lost balls on every hole! :)

The more I help others look for their balls, the worse I play.  Easy to lose focus.  So, walking is a great way to not go look.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Sorry I just saw this post today. I am the only one that walks at my club. I tell guys on the first tee, "don't wait for me if you are ready to hit, just go and I will catch up". What I find is that they actually play faster then normal and end up waiting for the group ahead anyway. My favorite days are "cart path only" after a heavy rain - I have to wait for them and laugh as they limp down the last few holes.

I joined the club I am at now because so many golf courses say you must take a cart. I always wanted to drive the cart to the first tee, then leave it there and walk but never had the balls to see what they would do.

I've played 18 rounds since the season started here in Wyoming and I've only ridden 9 holes. I usually only ride if the course requires it. I find that my rhythm is better when I walk, and I play better when I walk.

Driver: Cobra King F7, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0, 9.5º

3W: Cobra King F7, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0, 14.5º

Hybrid: Callaway XR Steelhead 19º

Irons: Titleist 716 AP2, True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 AMT, Standard lofts and lie

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3.0 50º, 54º, 58º, Tour Raw finish

Putter: Scotty Cameron Cameron & Crown Newport Mallet 1

Ball: Bridgestone B330 RXS or Titleist ProV1 or Vice Pro

I walk 95% of the time, a shotgun start might mean a ride & I consider it a treat! Just got an electric cart so no more pushing uphill, really helps. If riders have to wait for me, it is on them. We still finish under 4 hours & I feel healthy & not exhausted afterward. Will walk as long as I can...

I would walk more, but nobody walks at my club...plus right now the heat index is well over 110!

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I'm a die hard walker. I feel it helps keep muscles warmer and play better shots. A mate and I won a 3 day golf trip to a course where carts are compulsory. We compromised and 1 walked and the other drove and swapped every hole. Win/win.

I would walk more, but nobody walks at my club...plus right now the heat index is well over 110!

My step son is out in Vegas working on selling his house. He called us last night and was talking about temps in the 110ish range.   Heck it's hard to breath much less play golf in that stuff.  :blink: 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

The two courses I play the most don't even let your walk. They have something like 8 miles of cart path. It would be a pace of play nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

WITB:

Driver:   2017 M2 
3/5 Woods:  2014 Big Bertha 
4/5 Hybrids:  Mashie+ 
Irons:  Apex CF16 6-PW w/Recoil 110
Wedges:  RTX3 MB 48/54/58
Putter:  White Hot Pro #3 w/SS 2.0
Ball: â€‹Z-Star Yellow

• 2 weeks later...

I walked in NC a lot since retiring last 10/31 -- but not so much in Florida or here...I thought I would, but I get most of my rounds through GolfNow -- Hot Deals -- and the low price includes cart. If I am riding with someone I try to walk as much as possible and usually can get 3-4 miles in 18 holes.  Trying to hit 10,000 steps a day and walking a golf course is the best way I know.

Ironically, in SC (Upstate) I walked all the time...moved to NC and club required carts most of the time (revenue.)  I gained 30 lbs riding...now trying to walk it off!

"There is not such thing as a bad day on the golf course!"

If they are people I know I always just ask to tee off first and walk up the edge right after. That way I keep pace and can even spot their golf balls for them! It's a win-win. Its a little different when it is a random pairing but if I ask nicely usually there is no problem!

David Challoner

Driver: Callaway EPIC, 8.5 Degree, Aldila Rogue 75 Max, X-Flex

Woods: Callaway Steelhead XR 4+, 16*, Diamana Whiteboard X-Flex

Iron Specs: Srixon U65 2i, Srixon 765 3i-6i, Srixon 965 7i-PW, Project X 6.5

Wedges: Mizuno Wedges, 50*, 54*, 58* 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

Dexterity: Right-Handed

HCP: 6.9

"Slow, Smooth, and Finish"