TESTERS WANTED! ×

Does anyone walk anymore?

Been trying to force myself to walk more since Missouri doesn't have crazy long golf courses near St.Louis! Bought a Original Jones Bag to encourage myself to walk more as well! Can't wait till it gets here and am thinking of doing a review on it since I have one of the originals as well!

David Challoner

Driver: Callaway EPIC, 8.5 Degree, Aldila Rogue 75 Max, X-Flex

Woods: Callaway Steelhead XR 4+, 16*, Diamana Whiteboard X-Flex

Iron Specs: Srixon U65 2i, Srixon 765 3i-6i, Srixon 965 7i-PW, Project X 6.5

Wedges: Mizuno Wedges, 50*, 54*, 58* 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

Dexterity: Right-Handed

HCP: 6.9

"Slow, Smooth, and Finish"

In the spring and fall I dont mind walking but when temps look like this I much prefer to ride. When it gets this hot and humid there is no way to 'Stay Hydrated" you cna only drink so much water. Add on a 4 mile walk and it gets brutal

Capture.PNG

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

Almost always.  I much prefer walking- and carrying my bag.  It helps me with my timing, focus and maintaining (forgive the pun, but it is the truth) a sense of being grounded in the game.  When I participate in tournaments where everyone is in a cart it is often disconcerting for me, rush to the next spot, then jump out and ....oh, wait, there is a group in front of us... and I don't like waiting.  Walking allows me to stay on pace with the group in front, but not waiting on every shot, especially if they are in carts.

When on vacation, or visiting a track for the first time I may ride, but when I am with my group on the weekend, I much prefer walking.   I also enjoy walking even if my bag is on the back of a cart, walking is still better to help me keep focused. 

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Walk 9 most evenings during the week and ride on weekends.

Sent from my HTC 10 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Speedzone Xtreme 11.5*

Bio Cell+ 18.5*

G10 24*

Srixon U85 26*

Mizuno MP-32 6-PW

Vokey SM6  52* and 58*

Scotty Cameron Select GoLo 

Taylormade TP5x

I'm on Instagram as @sharpened_development_llc

I walked in NC a lot since retiring last 10/31 -- but not so much in Florida or here...I thought I would, but I get most of my rounds through GolfNow -- Hot Deals -- and the low price includes cart. If I am riding with someone I try to walk as much as possible and usually can get 3-4 miles in 18 holes.  Trying to hit 10,000 steps a day and walking a golf course is the best way I know.

... I use Golfnow quite a bit because their HotDeal rates with a cart are often quite a bit less than the course walking rate. But of course you are under no obligation to take the cart, so I still walk. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

About 4 years ago my friends and I all decided to start carrying our bags when we play, and we are now all in our low to mid 50s. My only exception would be 9-hole league matches where it seems easier to ride with all of the people playing from different tees.

Titleist 915D2 9.5 set at A4

Tour Exotics CB2 15*

Rogue Pro Irons 5-Aw 2* flat

Vokey SM6 56* S and 60* K

I walk almost 100% of the time unless I'm playing in an event where everyone has to have a cart.

Most of the time I will carry my bad if I am playing 9 holes or less in the evenings after work.  

I use my push cart when I play over nine holes or if it is really hot out (95ish or higher) I will use my push cart regardless of how many holes I intend to play.

I bought a push cart when it was 96 degrees in May during a tournament, I was in a cart and still uncomfortable so I decided it would be make my summer rounds much more enjoyable to just suck it up and buy a push cart.  I am only 28 and I expected to get ragged on a little bit, but it never happened.   As one person put it, doesn't matter how old you are why put the wear and tear of carrying a bag over 18 holes on your back and knees, you'll thank yourself in 20 or so  years for buying one in your 20s.

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

I walk almost 100% of the time unless I'm playing in an event where everyone has to have a cart.

Most of the time I will carry my bad if I am playing 9 holes or less in the evenings after work.

I use my push cart when I play over nine holes or if it is really hot out (95ish or higher) I will use my push cart regardless of how many holes I intend to play.

I bought a push cart when it was 96 degrees in May during a tournament, I was in a cart and still uncomfortable so I decided it would be make my summer rounds much more enjoyable to just suck it up and buy a push cart. I am only 28 and I expected to get ragged on a little bit, but it never happened. As one person put it, doesn't matter how old you are why put the wear and tear of carrying a bag over 18 holes on your back and knees, you'll thank yourself in 20 or so years for buying one in your 20s.

+1 for this. I'm 30 and scrambles are the only time I ride and the push cart is a total back saver. Any time people joke on me, I just tell them that walking a round is the only exercise I get these days (sad but true). Many times I'll be the only player in a foursome walking.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I try to when it isn't too hot in Houston, TX but that is about 3/4 of the year here. 

In my Callaway Hyperlight 5 bag

Driver:    :callaway-small:  Epic GBB 

Fairway Wood:    :callaway-small:  Epic GBB

Hybrid:   :cobra-small:  King F7 2 & 3 H

Irons:   Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15 Mid (4-PW)

Wedges:   :callaway-small:  MD3 50/56

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne

Ball: Vice Pro + or :callaway-small: Chromesoft

• 5 months later...

My wife bought me a push cart for Christmas (4wheel caddytek). I can't wait to use it. We rarely see players walking our course, however, when we played in Australia last year we really enjoyed walking (no one used carts on the courses we played).

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

My wife bought me a push cart for Christmas (4wheel caddytek). I can't wait to use it. We rarely see players walking our course, however, when we played in Australia last year we really enjoyed walking (no one used carts on the courses we played).

I've never played golf overseas....is using a cart more of an American thing?  It seems that whenever I see videos of golfers playing overseas they are always walking.

FWIW - I think that is the way the game was meant to be played.  I completely and totally understand that there are some people who have physical limitations that won't allow them to walk.  However, that should be the exception and not the rule.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Nope. I should as I actually seem to play better when I do, but I'm always trying to get through the round as quickly as possible to get home so I get another hall pass later!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I've never played golf overseas....is using a cart more of an American thing?  It seems that whenever I see videos of golfers playing overseas they are always walking.

FWIW - I think that is the way the game was meant to be played.  I completely and totally understand that there are some people who have physical limitations that won't allow them to walk.  However, that should be the exception and not the rule.

... Golf is an athletic event. Walking keeps your body in better condition to swing as it stays loose and active. Drinking plenty of water helps, as it does in any athletic endeavor. Walking allows you to see the upcoming shot and think about it as you arrive to your ball. And this doesn't even take into account the health benefit as we age. Walking a golf course is something you can do into your 90's and can even help you get there! I think it is by far the best way to play the game. I have been using a remote controlled cart for over 25 years and it allows me to walk like I have a caddy. 

... But non athletes can play and that is a big part of golf's charm. You can drink, and ride and look at your phone and take the game as seriously or as casual as you like. Of course there are plenty of other reasons to ride in a cart and you have already covered physical limitations. I will add resort courses with extremely long distances between greens and tees as well as mountain courses and crazy hot days.  

... Golf is an athletic event. Walking keeps your body in better condition to swing as it stays loose and active. Drinking plenty of water helps, as it does in any athletic endeavor. Walking allows you to see the upcoming shot and think about it as you arrive to your ball. And this doesn't even take into account the health benefit as we age. Walking a golf course is something you can do into your 90's and can even help you get there! I think it is by far the best way to play the game. I have been using a remote controlled cart for over 25 years and it allows me to walk like I have a caddy. 

... But non athletes can play and that is a big part of golf's charm. You can drink, and ride and look at your phone and take the game as seriously or as casual as you like. Of course there are plenty of other reasons to ride in a cart and you have already covered physical limitations. I will add resort courses with extremely long distances between greens and tees as well as mountain courses and crazy hot days.  

Good points about the hilly/mountain courses... I've walked a few of those and it was rather difficult.

I agree that there are certainly times when walking is appropriate but I think it should be more the exception than the rule.

The question in the pro shop should be "do you NEED a cart" vs "do you WANT a cart"....

Perhaps if carts weren't as available it may speed up the game more by weeding out certain people.

I have an idea - courses should have a limited number of carts and when those are gone you either walk or wait until someone finishes!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I actually cannot wait for things to warm up so I can get back out there and start walking. I'm not one to take walks around town for exercise, but when you throw golf in there, it makes things easier.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I've never played golf overseas....is using a cart more of an American thing? It seems that whenever I see videos of golfers playing overseas they are always walking.

Have often wondered the very same thing .. and, yes, it does seem much more of an American thing .. my guess is carts started getting popular in the Ike (Eisenhower) era and have simply become an inherent part of the course since then.....

FWIW - I think that is the way the game was meant to be played. I completely and totally understand that there are some people who have physical limitations that won't allow them to walk. However, that should be the exception and not the rule.

Completely and totally 100% agree!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

... Golf is an athletic event. Walking keeps your body in better condition to swing as it stays loose and active. Drinking plenty of water helps, as it does in any athletic endeavor. Walking allows you to see the upcoming shot and think about it as you arrive to your ball. And this doesn't even take into account the health benefit as we age. Walking a golf course is something you can do into your 90's and can even help you get there! I think it is by far the best way to play the game. I have been using a remote controlled cart for over 25 years and it allows me to walk like I have a caddy.

... But non athletes can play and that is a big part of golf's charm. You can drink, and ride and look at your phone and take the game as seriously or as casual as you like. Of course there are plenty of other reasons to ride in a cart and you have already covered physical limitations. I will add resort courses with extremely long distances between greens and tees as well as mountain courses and crazy hot days.

..chisag - really enjoy reading your commentaries, thx! Quite eloquent reasoning of why we're better off walking .. just wish more recreational golfers would also think this way...........

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I always walk... before this year, I walked and carried... Now I almost feel like a cheat as I have purchased a push cart having some scoliosis problems. But riding? That'd really feel like golf is no longer a sport.

Aim small... pray to miss small

My bag: Ping hoofer lite. My driver: Nike Vapor Pro. 4w: Inesis 500. Hybrid: Nike Vapor Flex. Irons (4-PW): Takomo 301 combo on KBS tour X. Wedges: Vokey SM7 52° and 58°. Putter: Cleveland Classic HB1. Balls: Inesis Tour900 yellow.

I love to walk ... Most courses by me only allow walking during the weekdays so I end up riding about half the rounds I play.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sean - New Lenox,IL Play RH HDC 7

What's in the Bag:

Driver Callaway Great Big Bertha

Fairway Nike Vapor Fly

Hybrid Nike VR-S Covert 2 Tour

Irons/Wedges:Callaway Apex Pro 16

Volkey SM5 50/55/60 degree

Putter Benttinardi Studio B

I love to walk ... Most courses by me only allow walking during the weekdays so I end up riding about half the rounds I play.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

stinks. There is a course here in Athens Ga that is semi private and won't let nonmembers walk. They say it devalues the membership. I say carts devalue the sport

Just wondering if there any walkers left. I recently returned to the joys of walking the course. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the idea of leaving the cart behind and playing in a much more relaxed state of mind. Also, it seems to me that I play better when walking. Anyone else enjoy putting one foot in front of the other when playing?

I've walked in FL for more than 20 years, switching from carrying to a push cart about ten years ago due to back issues. For the longest time there were no more than 5-10 walkers at our course. In the last 1-2 years there has been a dramatic increase in walkers, carrying and pushing. It's wonderful to see, good exercise and the way golf should be played. I hope the walking trend is happening in other places!!

I've walked in FL for more than 20 years, switching from carrying to a push cart about ten years ago due to back issues. For the longest time there were no more than 5-10 walkers at our course. In the last 1-2 years there has been a dramatic increase in walkers, carrying and pushing. It's wonderful to see, good exercise and the way golf should be played. I hope the walking trend is happening in other places!!

... Just before my first back surgery in 92' when I carried my bag and the dual strap came out I asked my Orthopedic surgeon if he liked the dual strap. He said he loved them because "they are gonna put all 3 of my kids thru college". He said a push cart is necessary for all golfers. He admitted some can carry their bags and get away with little or no problems, but you cannot keep your spine erect when carrying and for most, sooner or later they will have back problems. Good for you making the switch as you still get the exercise and all the benefits of walking while playing!  

I walk the majority of the time. My local course isn't designed for walkers. There are quite a few long walks between greens and tee boxes. Plus there are no benches at any of the tee boxes. This set-up encourages people to ride in carts.