TESTERS WANTED! ×

Does anyone walk anymore?

For the most part, I walk four or five rounds per week, probably will ride a time or two per week when the heat/humidity gets cranked up, too old to fight the heat stress.  The only times I've rode was when the knees were bad and leading up to knee surgery but after each of the knee replacements, I was back to walking the course within six weeks of surgery.  On the road, I usually ride unless the course has a caddie program. 

It looks like I will be riding more due to hip, leg, and foot problems.  My orthopedic doc says he doesn't have an easy (surgical) fix and my best bet is to alternate walking and riding the course.  

In the bag:

Driver:  Ping G 400 Max

Fairway: Ping G 400, 7 w

Hybrids: Ping G 25,  4

Irons:  Taylormade P 790, 4 through P

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey SM 7,  54  and 58

Putter:  Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

It looks like I will be riding more due to hip, leg, and foot problems.  My orthopedic doc says he doesn't have an easy (surgical) fix and my best bet is to alternate walking and riding the course.  

I just saw my doc to have my left hip x rayed.  The good news is no hip replacement required however he scheduled an MRI to see what is causing the pain.  It's on the outside of the hip and he suspects a pinched nerve. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Cart rentals may represent significant revenue to many courses.   There are some courses where its mandated.   I've also noticed that the courses I played years ago, the distance from the green to the next tee was not that much.   Now it seems that on a lot of courses that I play the walk to the next tee can be rather lengthy, especially courses weaving through a community.   If walking was allowed, this could impact the speed of play, which is a whole other problem.

I would kill to walk when I play, but Im a weekend warrior and around here, they force you to use golf carts for "Pace of Play" reasons. I get it, but it does suck, the only way to walk is to do a twilight round. 

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

I also walk. but now I need to use the pushcart as I cannot carry.

The best thing I love about walking is that no matter where my ball is,I can always walk up to it,as opposed to a cart,you're restricted where you can travel with it.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

If given the choice I always walk. Unfortunately in the world of tourist golf walking is seldom an option. Pace of play is huge for me because I'm so damn impatient by nature. I was raised to be kind and respectful so I tend to internalize my feelings thus my impatience burns quietly within usually resulting in poor play. On average I'm two strokes better per side when I walk.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I walk virtually every time.  Even when I ride, it's just to throw the bag on the cart and let someone else drive, so I can walk the course.  When I was young, I raced motorcycles, and dad, who also raced in his day, said you have to walk the track first to get a feel.  Golf's the same way.  I get a feel for yardages and conditions better.  Can pace almost one yard exactly, within a couple percent of perfect (lost art in the age of rangefinders).  This is in part from walking so much over the years, pacing out yardages from the last sprinkler head, rather than zipping along with a motor whizzing in the background, bouncing down the cart path, jangling my nerves, then pulling out a $300 apparatus to check yardage.  It also helps the health because since I took the game back up and almost exclusively walk, I've lost 20 lbs and the BP has gone down about 15 points, both systolic and diastolic.  When I was young, I liked to ride.  Now that I'm in my 50s, I love to walk.

I would kill to walk when I play, but Im a weekend warrior and around here, they force you to use golf carts for "Pace of Play" reasons. I get it, but it does suck, the only way to walk is to do a twilight round. 

Can't speak to every situation, and probably on average play's quicker with carts, but there are some foursomes who are positively snails when in their carts, zig-zagging, running over their own balls, getting in each other's way, jacking around, sitting around the greens after they've finished a hole tallying up scores and negotiating bets and presses and the like.  Sometimes carts slow the pace of play down.

Can't speak to every situation, and probably on average play's quicker with carts, but there are some foursomes who are positively snails when in their carts, zig-zagging, running over their own balls, getting in each other's way, jacking around, sitting around the greens after they've finished a hole tallying up scores and negotiating bets and presses and the like. Sometimes carts slow the pace of play down.

Yes, completely agree and thank you for posting that.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I agree with the comments about the speed of play. Next time you are out hitting the round ball take note of the demographics of the “majority” of players. There are always exceptions to the rule but I would argue the overwhelming majority could not and would not enjoy the game of golf if riding were not an option. There will come a time when I can no longer hump up and down hills for four hours and when that time comes (which it will for most) I'll happily ride as long as I can continue to play.

I've always enjoyed athletics but not until I hit 40 did I take up the game of golf. I realized at that time the high impact activities I was accustomed to were quickly becoming no longer an option. I prefer to walk for now but please let's not condemn those who ride as a necessity or even a choice. They too keep the game we all love alive. For those of you who ride but have the option to walk I encourage you to take the small steps towards a more active life style. You will be healthier, you will feel better and you will add to the years you will be able to enjoy the game.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I agree with the comments about the speed of play. Next time you are out hitting the round ball take note of the demographics of the “majority” of players. There are always exceptions to the rule but I would argue the overwhelming majority could not and would not enjoy the game of golf if riding were not an option. There will come a time when I can no longer hump up and down hills for four hours and when that time comes (which it will for most) I'll happily ride as long as I can continue to play.

I've always enjoyed athletics but not until I hit 40 did I take up the game of golf. I realized at that time the high impact activities I was accustomed to were quickly becoming no longer an option. I prefer to walk for now but please let's not condemn those who ride as a necessity or even a choice. They too keep the game we all love alive. For those of you who ride but have the option to walk I encourage you to take the small steps towards a more active life style. You will be healthier, you will feel better and you will add to the years you will be able to enjoy the game.

... I don't think anyone here is condemning anyone that rides in a cart. Especially for health reasons. I do see a ton of younger golfers riding in carts and driving a few feet off the tee box path into the grass as well as taking their carts almost on the green and wonder why they aren't walking. I am 65 and almost always walk, and of course senior golfers can reap the health benefits of walking and I see many, many seniors doing just that. But again, I don't think any of us look at someone in a cart and think "they should be walking" or look down on them for doing so. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Sometimes it's just too damn hot to walk, especially here and I'd imagine it's even worse in the southern states.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Walking season in Houston is mid-October to late April. I'd love to have a push cart for those months, especially since most courses are easy to walk around here (pretty flat in nature). Only problem is that I play most of my golf on weekdays and with the shortened daylight during those months, it's hard to find time to play and justify the cost of a clicgear or other MGS recommended push cart...that and 90% of the courses I play have the cart fee included in the price. If I joined a private club, I would definitely invest in a push cart since most of those places nickle and dime you to death with additional fees once you join. 

Oh I did see a junior tournament in Galveston over the July 4th holiday and just about every kid had a push cart. It was good to see them playing, walking, reducing future back problems by not carrying their bag and enjoying the heat! 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Sometimes it's just too damn hot to walk, especially here and I'd imagine it's even worse in the southern states.

It is bad in MN too. I walked 18 yesterday in 102* heat with a heat index of 113*. Just for the record, it was too hot to walk.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

It is bad in MN too. I walked 18 yesterday in 102* heat with a heat index of 113*. Just for the record, it was too hot to walk.

Yeah, that would be terrible to walk in!! No shame in riding. I'd take being judged and called lazy over heat stroke any day of the week.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

In theory I would like to walk every time I play. But the reality is most of the courses in my area are not very walkable, and in the summer it's just way too hot to walk. I will go out of my way and find a shorter course just to walk but it's not as challenging. Oh well, at least I get to play

I used to walk and push my cart all the time. About 1/2 the guys I play with walk. (old guys at that) The past year I got out of the habit for some reason. I also used to claim I played better when I walked. But honestly I don't. No better or worse. Same.

always walk unless playing with a group who all want buggies.
Part of the enjoyment for me is the walk and I feel like I play better too, more time to just stay loose (more psychologically than physically) walking between your shots and more time to let go of the last shot and think about your next.
Getting to the ball faster seems to trigger a psychology to just get the whole game out of the way faster.

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

Just an FYI...

Budget Golf -15% off with coupon code "thankyou" thru 7-18

Screenshot_20180717-103011.jpegScreenshot_20180717-103017.jpeg

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Walking my first 18 ever today. I've walked holes before but never 18

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Have fun and I'm sure you'll feel more focused on your game when you aren't worried about driving to your partners ball all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Have fun and I'm sure you'll feel more focused on your game when you aren't worried about driving to your partners ball all the time.

I played solo and walked in 3.5 hours. The course was drenched and boy did that make walking suck. I carried and after 9 my back started to tighten up. If/when I do this again it'll be a double strap carry or a push cart. I felt good walking and it was cart path only so I would have walked a lot either way today. Once I stopped trying to force things I played pretty well with a bunch of pars and bogeys, which is good for me.

I played solo and walked in 3.5 hours. The course was drenched and boy did that make walking suck. I carried and after 9 my back started to tighten up. If/when I do this again it'll be a double strap carry or a push cart. I felt good walking and it was cart path only so I would have walked a lot either way today. Once I stopped trying to force things I played pretty well with a bunch of pars and bogeys, which is good for me.

Good for you! I would absolutely recommend a push cart. It takes stain off the back and you burn the same amount of calories. It is just as good health wise but won't cause back problems.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I haven't been walking in about 2 years. I used to walk all the time with my cart. But now it's cost me from playing in the Club Championship this year. Just last week our course went cart paths only until further notice. (and the FW's look fantastic!) So, I walked 18. And boy did my game suffer. I shot even through 11 holes but then started getting tired as the back 9 progressed. I'm actually in decent shape at 63.5 yrs. but just not used to walking - pushing a cart in 98* heat I suppose.

Sadly, I decided to WD from the championship rather than suffer through 3 rounds playing $hitty. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Good for you! I would absolutely recommend a push cart. It takes stain off the back and you burn the same amount of calories. It is just as good health wise but won't cause back problems.

My problem is I have no where to store one and with living in the mountains most of my local courses would be a horrible walk.

My problem is I have no where to store one and with living in the mountains most of my local courses would be a horrible walk.

I don't have room in my trunk for a push cart, so I always rent one for $1 on my league nights. They are rickety old pull carts, but better than carrying - I've carried twice this summer and it sucked. It felt like I had bricks in the bag by the end.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I walked and carried all the time up until this year. Always used a double strap bag as that is a huge help in taking the strain off your shoulders. This year though I decided to get a push cart. Pain in my hip from an old hockey injury got to the point were it just makes sense to push a cart.

I actually bought the Sun Mountain Reflex cksurfdude listed above. Folds down really compact for storage and at the closeout price of $99 it's a great deal.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter