TESTERS WANTED! ×

Does anyone walk anymore?

I don't have room in my trunk for a push cart, so I always rent one for $1 on my league nights. They are rickety old pull carts, but better than carrying - I've carried twice this summer and it sucked. It felt like I had bricks in the bag by the end.

Non of the local courses have that as an option.

I walked and carried all the time up until this year. Always used a double strap bag as that is a huge help in taking the strain off your shoulders. This year though I decided to get a push cart. Pain in my hip from an old hockey injury got to the point were it just makes sense to push a cart.

I actually bought the Sun Mountain Reflex cksurfdude listed above. Folds down really compact for storage and at the closeout price of $99 it's a great deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd like to get one since it was a nice walk. Maybe if I join a club as a member I can store one there, but until then gonna have to either ride or get dual straps

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I am a member of a course in Indiana and the majority of the members walk.  It's really nice walking and makes me feel a little better when I'm done that I got significant exercise.  Always important to remember to take fluids and eat part way through.  Pros eat and snack through their rounds to keep their minds sharp.  I started packing PB and J sandwiches for my round to eat part way through.  I feel like it helps me to stay more focused.  

Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5

I'm a walker! My whole Sunday morning group is. I'd say 70% of my golf league is as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

I really enjoyed walking the course--forty or so years ago.

I WISH that I still enjoyed walking a course at my age.

Waaaaaaaay too many knee surgeries and now my frigging back & hip needing attention.  I walk my dog and do elliptical at the gym however when it comes to golf, my membership includes riding so I hop my big arse in the cart. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• 2 weeks later...

Love to walk.  I play better.  Gives me more time to cool off after a bad shot and more time to enjoy the good ones.  But 2 cranky knees and a arthritic back have limited me to only walking 9 holes on a flat course.  Looking for a "Sunday" bag so I can carry 6-7 clubs like when i was a kid.  Makes you play more creatively and is a lot of fun.

Driver:  Honma BeZeal 9.5 degree S flex

FW:  Adams Tight Lies 2022 3 wood & 5 wood

Irons: Giga Golf Reva 3-PW stiff UST 70 gram shafts,  Mizuno t-7 52degree

SW:  Mizuno T22 55 degree

Putter:  Inazone Stand up

Being a caddie I can tell you it does amplify the experience of a round. I believe it feeds the possibility of a personal best situation. I also believe that frustrating days are handled better during a walking round as opposed to riding in a cart.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I've recently returned to walking.  I used to enjoy walking and carrying my bag, but I got away from it over the last couple of summers.  My home club is pretty hilly, with long walks from a number of greens to the next tee, and I just wore myself out.  The thought of pushing a trolley up some of the steeper hills was too daunting for me to want to do that.  A month or so back I bought a motorized trolley, and its made walking a pleasure again.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I've recently returned to walking.  I used to enjoy walking and carrying my bag, but I got away from it over the last couple of summers.  My home club is pretty hilly, with long walks from a number of greens to the next tee, and I just wore myself out.  The thought of pushing a trolley up some of the steeper hills was too daunting for me to want to do that.  A month or so back I bought a motorized trolley, and its made walking a pleasure again.  

... Awesome Dave. I just can't imagine playing without a motorized cart. My wife is a fitness fanatic and was not interested in a motorized cart as she preferred the exercise gained by pushing her Sun Mountain 3 wheeler. But I gave her my MottoCaddy S1 when she gave me the remote controlled Navigator for Christmas last year and although she was skeptical, after a few rounds using it she admitted she was not as tired on the last few holes that are uphill and still gets the benefits of walking. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

• 1 year later...

Everyone is walking now with the covid pandemic, but I am noticing a trend towards walking at some higher end resorts, like Bandon Dunes and Sand Valley. There are also a number of private clubs around Chicago that have very good caddie programs and require walking unless you are disabled.

:callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero, 9.5*, VA Nemesys 75, Golfpride MCC Align Midsize

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max Fairway Wood, 15*, Stock shaft, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:titelist-small: Titleist U500 21*, Hzrdus Smoke Stiff, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:benhogan-small: 2020 Ben Hogan Icon Irons 8-PW, Project X LZ, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:benhogan-small: 2020 Ben Hogan PTxPro Irons 4-7, Project X LZ, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:titelist-small: Vokey SM8 50*, 54*, 60*, Stock vokey shaft, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:cameron-small: Scotty Cameron California Mid-Mallet

I walk whenever possible, with the help of my Clicgear.  That said, if I've never been to a course I'll ask the folks in the pro shop how walkable it is.  I'm not concerned with hills, but if it's a quarter mile to the next tee box I hate being the walker in a group with riders, and forcing those riders to wait on me to get my happy @ss to the tee..

I will say there is something to be said for playing better when walking versus riding, putting aside fatigue as a factor.  Dave Stockton is adamant that when golfers take a cart and pull up next to a green they lose the opportunity to appreciate the slopes and contours of a green that a walker observes.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I've always enjoyed walking. I don't care for strapping my bag to my back and hoofing it around the course, but with a push cart I'd prefer to walk.

What's in My Bag?

Driver: Cobra F6

Fairway: Cobra F6 3/4

Hybrids: Wilson Staff D100ES (4 & 5)

Irons: Wilson Staff C200 (6i to GW)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX (52, 56, and 60°)

Putter: Happy Putter Blade

1 hour ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I walk whenever possible, with the help of my Clicgear.  That said, if I've never been to a course I'll ask the folks in the pro shop how walkable it is.  I'm not concerned with hills, but if it's a quarter mile to the next tee box I hate being the walker in a group with riders, and forcing those riders to wait on me to get my happy @ss to the tee..

... I have a remote controlled cart and the first time I played Tierra Rejada in LA I told the guy in the clubhouse I was going to walk. He said "you don't wanna do that" but I said I really did. He said he would make me a deal and I should play the front 9 in a cart and if I would like to walk the back he will give me a free round and I was free to walk. So I took him up on the offer. LOL, I could have never walked that course! Up and down as well as around a couple of mountains with breath taking views but some holes straight up the mountain with long distance to tee boxes, virtually impossible to walk. 

6 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I have a remote controlled cart and the first time I played Tierra Rejada in LA I told the guy in the clubhouse I was goin g to walk. He said I don't wanna do that but I said I really did. He said he would make me a deal and I should play the front 9 in a cart and if I would like to walk the back he will give me a free round and I was free to walk. So I took him up on the offer. LOL, I could have never walked that course! Up and down as well as around a couple of mountains with breath taking views but some holes straight up the mountain with long distance to tee boxes, virtually impossible to walk. 

I really will never understand why a course architect would design a course that a person in reasonable good health is physically incapable of walking.... that just makes no sense to me.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I walk 95% of the time with a push cart, unless it's my first time on the course and I am unfamiliar with the layout.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

1 minute ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I really will never understand why a course architect would design a course that a person in reasonable good health is physically incapable of walking.... that just makes no sense to me.

... I hear ya and would tend to agree with you with the exception of unique land properties. I have played several mountain courses in NC, Phoenix and LA that offer spectacular views. Sometimes the tee box is literally on top of a peak and it is a 100 yd straight up the mountain from the fairway to get to the tee. But once up there, ya take several extra minutes just to appreciate the view. Some others may chime in but Teirra Rejada is a memorable experience and from someone that prefers to walk 100% of the time, I really enjoyed playing there, even with a cart. 

26 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I have a remote controlled cart and the first time I played Tierra Rejada in LA I told the guy in the clubhouse I was goin g to walk. He said I don't wanna do that but I said I really did. He said he would make me a deal and I should play the front 9 in a cart and if I would like to walk the back he will give me a free round and I was free to walk. So I took him up on the offer. LOL, I could have never walked that course! Up and down as well as around a couple of mountains with breath taking views but some holes straight up the mountain with long distance to tee boxes, virtually impossible to walk. 

Challenge accepted 😎

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

I try to walk whenever possible.  Usually with my push cart.  I feel like I'm able to enjoy the scenery and I tend to play better when walking.

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Taylor Made 300 Mini 11.5º w/ Fuji Ventus TR Red

Hybrids: Callaway Super Hybrid 17º w/ Tensei Orange

Titleist 816 H1 21º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil

Irons (6-43º): Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º SM8, 60º Tour Issued Hand Ground Vokey

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

Alot of courses in my area include the cart in the rate, and its almost socially unacceptable to walk. This is in the Phoenix area and there are alot of desert courses with some elevations and alot of neighborhood courses that can have some considerable distance between holes. Not to mention the heat. 

I do prefer to walk though. I feel like you get the lay of the land walking up to the green from your approach shot. Sometimes from the cart you are missing that analysis from 30-10 yards out where you can really see the general slope of the green and pinpoint the low spots. Makes it quicker to get a second or third angle on your putt, whereas with the cart it is easy to run up to your ball and just look at the putt from behind the ball.   

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

I try to walk always and got very annoyed when courses do not allow it.

there is nothing more natural than walking on a flat bed of grass... I sometimes would walk bare feet just to enjoy the feeling.

but aside of it I feel a different rhythm with my game.

:ping-small: G400 9.0 Alta CB 55g stiff

:ping-small: G400 3W Alta CB 65g stiff

:Sub70: Fairway Pro 5W Ust Mamiya V2 black stiff

:Sub70: 839X 4h Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: 639cb 5-PW Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: Forged Wedge  50.7 Kbs TGI80

:callaway-small: MD4 56.8, 60.12

PXG Bat Attack

:Snell: MTB-X

Started walking regularly last year and I love it. I play quicker, which confuses me at first, and I play better! Better yet,it saves about $15-20 per round so I have more in the “Golf” portion of the budget!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

9 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I always walk as well, either push cart or carry bag. One of my favourite courses in our area is Grey Silo (which has hosted the LPGA in the past). However the entire course is in a valley with a kilometre walk (downhill at first and then uphill at the end). And that's to 1 and 18 which are beside each other. The other 16 holes are another half kilometre walk. I almost wish they would drive you to the first tee if you wanted to walk, but it's a stupid design and just miserable to walk. Too bad.

I also totally agree about playing better when walking. Totally true.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I absolutely love walking vs riding in a cart. However, there are some courses that I play in which its not feasible to walk due to shear amount of traffic on the course and/or a few courses that were designed to attract a lot of homes but the course/homes are spaced out ridiculous lengths. Near impossible to walk because you will caught by groups in carts regardless if you're under par having one of your best rounds ever-- so I use cart for those courses. I have a couple of what I classify historic/traditional layout courses that are very walkable. They are shorter in length and have the narrow fairways, a lot of trees/mountain-nice views that I prefer to walk and practice on. 

28 minutes ago, aerospace_ray said:

I absolutely love walking vs riding in a cart. However, there are some courses that I play in which its not feasible to walk due to shear amount of traffic on the course and/or a few courses that were designed to attract a lot of homes but the course/homes are spaced out ridiculous lengths. Near impossible to walk because you will caught by groups in carts regardless if you're under par having one of your best rounds ever-- so I use cart for those courses. I have a couple of what I classify historic/traditional layout courses that are very walkable. They are shorter in length and have the narrow fairways, a lot of trees/mountain-nice views that I prefer to walk and practice on. 

Exactly right, the treks required from green to the next tee, or the path from the tee to the fairway isn't direct (target golf), it takes so long.   They built these courses with the motorized carts in mind.