TESTERS WANTED! ×

Does anyone walk anymore?

First time playing with another member who I just met in the practice green. I was walking with my pushcart he was riding. This guy had me running from shot to shot. He was hustling in his cart. I’d push the cart down the hill and run after it just to catch up. Needless to say lesson learned. I walk when others are walking and will ride if that’s what the group is doing. Needless to say I told a few members the story yesterday at the course and everyone thought it was hilarious 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

3 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

First time playing with another member who I just met in the practice green. I was walking with my pushcart he was riding. This guy had me running from shot to shot. He was hustling in his cart. I’d push the cart down the hill and run after it just to catch up. Needless to say lesson learned. I walk when others are walking and will ride if that’s what the group is doing. Needless to say I told a few members the story yesterday at the course and everyone thought it was hilarious 

... It is so unique to golf but I never worry about a rider or all riders in my group. Unless there is a hole or holes open in front of us, walking never slows the group down. Unless they are hustling like your pard. But I just can't imagine playing baseball and sitting in a chair but jumping out as the pitch is delivered and then go back to sitting until the next pitch. 🤪  I have always felt golf is an athletic endeavor so walking keeps me loose and my body ready for the next shot. Riding and sitting then jumping out for a shot does not and my game always suffers. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... It is so unique to golf but I never worry about a rider or all riders in my group. Unless there is a hole or holes open in front of us, walking never slows the group down. Unless they are hustling like your pard. But I just can't imagine playing baseball and sitting in a chair but jumping out as the pitch is delivered and then go back to sitting until the next pitch. 🤪  I have always felt golf is an athletic endeavor so walking keeps me loose and my body ready for the next shot. Riding and sitting then jumping out for a shot does not and my game always suffers. 

I love walking. I focus a lot more. It makes me think about the game and what I’m trying to accomplish. Plus finding all the balls people miss is nice. I was surprised he treated me like that. Really nice guy the whole time, but he must love playing speed golf

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

Have always walked & used a push cart (wore out a Sun Mountain). Like many others here, riding easily adds 5 to my score. Walking, you can still chat, enjoy the scenery, and have a pint, but more importantly, you have a better perception of the hole, upcoming shot, etc. Riding, I find I arrive at my ball, and only then really start to look about to see what shot options I have. Walking, you do this far before arriving at your ball. Walkers are slower than riders? Rubbish. Courses make money on carts, full stop. Nothing to do with speed. And let's face it, golf isn't exactly like playing tennis, so the 8km or so walk does all of us some good (injuries/medical reasons aside). I haven't met a hilly course I won't walk, nor too hot a day. 

I walked every round last year(1-2x weekly) due to covid and used to carry when I was younger. I picked up a used pull cart and though there were certainly some tough walks, once I built up endurance, I played my best golf ever. Went from a hndcp of 16 down to a 11.3. Walking allowed me to process my errors and plan for the next shots. I don’t want to go back to riding if I can help it !! Come join the fun of a long walk I’m mowed pastures!!!

Papa Shuk

I walk whenever they will let me. Some courses insist on riding. They claim it's speed of play. I am sure it is revenue. In fact, Cart-Path-Only rules make the play VERY slow. I have been in plenty of foursomes on a CPO day with just one guy riding, and we walkers are ALWAYS waiting for the rider.

A few of the reasons to prefer walking:

1. Exercise! This is a BIG one. THE big one.
  2. Bouncing around in a cart is in fact harder on my back than walking.
  3. Fewer lost balls. I don't lose the line of the shot going where a cart has to go.
  4. Always have the right club with me, even if I mis-estimated the distance to the hole.
  5. The "rhythm" is just better. This part is very subjective, so I can only speak for myself. But I feel more a part of the golf course, I understand where I am and what I have to do to get where I want to. On foot I'm always playing golf; in a cart, I'm somewhere else between shots.

I usually only get to play on weekends and most courses will not let you walk unless it is very early or twilight.  I don't mind walking but a 4some walking often will take longer than riding so you always have someone right behind you which messes with my rhythm a bit.

Golf without a cigar has not been a good use of time.

On 5/9/2017 at 2:03 PM, verojoe said:

Just wondering if there any walkers left. I recently returned to the joys of walking the course. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the idea of leaving the cart behind and playing in a much more relaxed state of mind. Also, it seems to me that I play better when walking. Anyone else enjoy putting one foot in front of the other when playing?

I walk at least four 18 holes rounds a week. I used to walk/play everyday  but the golf course in my neighborhood closed due to poor management & no owner support. Like yourself I find walking is a more enjoyable way to play golf. 

I recently joined a private where 90% of the membership walks.  That was one of the most compelling reasons to join.   I’ve always enjoyed walking more than riding.   Being fortunate enough to live in the Philadelphia PA area where there are many older courses that were designed to be walked originally gives me a lot of walkable courses.  

Just picked up a nitron and walking my first round tomorrow!

Driver: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi2 9.0* w/ Tensei blue stiff shaft // 3 Wood: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi3 15* Tensei white stiff shaft

Hybrid: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e85cafcb95032f919dfafeb5fd18ac1e.jpg GAPR Hi 3h

Irons: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg T300 4-PW + 48* & 53*w/ KBS tour stiff

Wedge: default_cleveland-small.jpg.5931429dde47ec5093bb94bc9d38f8b5.jpg CBX2 58*10

Putter: KS1

Ball: Srixon Z-star // Bag: default_ping-small.jpg.2da16be6ff3360b3177f4439c6c6288b.jpg DLX

I started back walking during the very beginning of the covid scare and have been ever since. I love it and the lbs are coming back off.  Down 12 since back on my feet and not on my arse (cart seat). 

I have three of my friends who have started walking since I burned the trail in 2020. We have a testing forum for the MotoCaddy electric trolley presently active with testing.  

One more thing, we have an 82 year old golfer in great shape who says he is thinking seriously about pulling out his older model electric cart .  Sooooooooo get off the arse and get on the course.  Being healthy feels good!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

There are few things in life that I enjoy as much as throwing a few clubs in the Sunday bag to walk and carry on a beautiful day. With the full bag I have to use a push cart, however carrying adds a certain je ne sais quo to the quality of the experience in my opinion.

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

• 2 weeks later...

Walked 18 in Southwest Florida yesterday - if you watched the Valspar you know that it was in the high 80's and humid - love my push cart - didn't do the umbrella because the course that I played has plenty of shade.  I'm probably 50/50 walk/ride - I like to walk bout because I do both and have a step measuring device you'd be surprised at how little difference there is between the two options - walking is around 16,000 steps, riding 10K.  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 1 month later...

100% I walk ~3 rounds per week 

~80% with Caddytek push cart 

~20% carry half set (D, 4W, 5i, 7i, 9i, 58, Putter) in Jones player bag 

reasons I walk:

1) exercise & enjoy the course layout & features 

2) saves money 

3) better preshot routine & scoring 

4) riding cart feels frenetic & disorienting by comparison ... especially when paired with 15+ handicap (no offense intended, just how it feels to me)

5) doesn’t save time, I play early in morning, often walking 18 in 2hrs 10min

Edited by 6ft3bloke
Added rationale

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero driver and 4W

Callaway Apex Pro 19 4-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4, 52*, 58*
Callaway PM Grind 64*

Scotty Cameron 2018 Newport 2.5 

I like to walk when I can. Usually about every third round, and it's on one course I know well that is usually not very crowded. I used to walk a lot more (when I was younger and didn't mind carrying the bag so much). I definitely like using my own push cart (or trolley for the Motocaddy fans out there).

Either way, walking gives me more time to decompress between shots, especially after a bad one. I find that helps keep me from carrying over the negative emotion of the bad shot into the next one, and allows me more time to analyze and prepare for the next shot.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Up until about two months ago, most courses in the area mandated single riders only in carts unless they were from the same family.  That led to a cart shortage and backups on the first tee because people didn't have a cart yet at their tee time.  

It seems like more people are walking now than before COVID. Maybe they got used to walking instead of trying for the cart lottery.  I've definitely noticed more umbrellas attached to push carts to protect people from the sun.

Still the majority I see are riding.

Stay on Target!    94602_x-wing_512x512.png.e6fd366aa256fea54f342bdfaa860cb7.png

pxg-logo-freelogovectors.net_-400x400.png.fd7f603a83c91f76fed4c6245b967a52.png 0811X Gen 4 Driver

pxg-logo-freelogovectors.net_-400x400.png.fd7f603a83c91f76fed4c6245b967a52.png 0311XF Gen 5 Fairway 4 Wood

Maltby KE4 TC HyWay Utility Wood

image.png.471e92969c871a065786f650138fd517.pngEQ1-NX Single Length Irons (LW - 7)

image.png.471e92969c871a065786f650138fd517.pngEQ1-NX Single Length Hybrids (4, 5, 6)

image.png.0d2df83eb1bcf82eb1adec6302909991.png    MEZZ.1 Putter (2022 tester)

image.png.43257b3b93a88cb87b3dfc1ae39a025a.png  Tour Ball X

I walked 9 the other day for the first time this year.  Low and behold I have my best score of 35 (-1) so far this year.  I need to continue walking more.  I always feel like I am more focused and tend to play better.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

The walking has ended……..until next November.  In Central FL the 90*+ temps with high humidity makes walking as a septuagenarian pretty much obsolete.

Hope to return to walking in November.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

20 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

The walking has ended……..until next November.  In Central FL the 90*+ temps with high humidity makes walking as a septuagenarian pretty much obsolete.

Hope to return to walking in November.

Yes, us old coots have to be careful.  We are back to high 90's and low 100's, but it's a dry heat!!   😂

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Yes, us old coots have to be careful.  We are back to high 90's and low 100's, but it's a dry heat!!   😂

... 118* yesterday so riding in a cart was off the table and of course walking would be insane. I hope to start walking sooner than October but this is my first summer in this heat and not exactly sure what to expect. 🤔

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... 118* yesterday so riding in a cart was off the table and of course walking would be insane. I hope to start walking sooner than October but this is my first summer in this heat and not exactly sure what to expect. 🤔

Yeah, that's a little too hot for me.  We will likely only see 108-112º, but not until late July or August.  

You will have HOT... all summer.  My BIL lives in Surprise.   If you play, it should be in the first group out in the morning.  I recommend the Frogg Toggs Chilliy Pad cooling towel, if you can keep it wet!  We just got our ice water coolers back on the course a week ago after COVID.  We didn't have them all last summer!!

I have attended meetings in Phoenix and Tucson during July, but I was much younger then... only in my 50's and early 60's.  We always played golf with other attendees... many very nice courses at very reasonable prices; e.g.,  $50 for TPC Scottsdale, probably a lot higher now but still a good value.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...

I walk 90% of the time. If i'm playing alone i will always walk. Only time i'm in a cart is if im playing with people who arent big golfers.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 10.5* Oban Kiyoshi Gold tipped 1" 44.5" NDMC Mid

4w: :callaway-small: Epic flash Oban Kiyoshi Gold tipped 2" 42.5" NDMC Mid

3-PW: :mizuno-small:  MP-18, 3i FLYhi MMC, 4-6i MMC, 7-PW MB, KBS C-taper Lite X-stiff NDMC Mid

Wedges: :titelist-small:  SM7 49*F, 54*D, 59*M KBS C-taper Lite X-stiff NDMC Mid

Putter:  Lajosi Sensor Breakthrough Golf Tour Stability Shaft 34" SuperStroke GTR 1.0

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

I am just getting into walking.  Bought a cheap push cart from Dick's and have a couple rounds under my belt.  I have found that I enjoy the round more and seem to play better.  If I continue to enjoy it, I can see a Moto Caddy in the future.  

Arccos Tracking

Bushnell Tour V4

Driver: Ping G410 Max 

Fairway: 5W 0341X Proto  | 7W Taylormade M2 

Irons: 0311P GEN3 IRONS 

Hybrid: Taylormade GAPR 21 Mid 

Weges: 54 and 58 SM8 Vokey

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rball 34"

Ball: Pro V1X

I got a golf push cart this year for my birthday.  I have used it but in recent weeks have been back to riding in a cart due to a recently sprained left ankle.  Ankle is recovering well, not 100% yet but getting closer.  I plan on walking in a month or so and eventually want to just carry the bag, no push cart.  I just picked up a Sun Mountain 2.5 stand bag which feels much lighter than my Sun Mountain 3.5 stand bag.  I get in a better rhythm when I walk plus it is better for my health (and my needed weight loss).

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on