TESTERS WANTED! ×

Does anyone walk anymore?

I prefer to walk whenever I can. I just think it's an overall better experience. Also it gives me a chance to calm down when I do something stupid. I say whenever I can because some courses just aren't conducive to it. There are a couple around me where the distance from a green to the next tee take minutes to drive, let alone walk.

Edited by Scraping It Around

TSi3 9* Tensei AV 65 X, M5 15 AD DI 7X, U500 3 iron AD DI 95X, 4-PW Mizuno MP18 MB DG X100 2* up, Vokey SM8 Raw 52F, 56S, 60T DG S300 1* up, Cameron Special Select Newport 2 35"

Before covid... rarely. Since... I walk every round. I'm not a fan of using a push cart, but it does make it easier to bring a cooler of beer! 

It's not how... it's how many! So, do yourself a favor and be an equipment free-agent!

The group I play with regularly just started walking in the past month. We’d been talking about it for a year because when Covid hit our courses we’re open but no carts. Of course, the 1st few courses we played were not the friendliest courses to walk, let alone carry your bag. So, in the past month we’ve all invested in push carts and we won’t be turning back.  

Camaraderie is better. Don’t feel like your rushing around the course. Experience is more enjoyable. We love it!

Cobra Speedzone 9* Hazardous Smoke Stiff

Cobra Speedzone 3 Wood Tensei Blue Stiff

Cobra F9 3 19* Hybrid

Ping 425 4 22* Hybrid

Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal Pro 5-GW

Taylor Made MG3 54* & 58*

Cleveland Frontline Cero Putter

I love-love-love to walk, listen to the birds, feeling the breezes, enjoying the beauty of the course and feeling my feet engaging the earth.  Never carry clubs, can be too hard on the back and neck. Only ride when it’s mandatory.  I use a pull cart and was delighted to find that a tremendous amount of calories are burned when pulling a cart, up to 300 per hour for a 130 lb person, and for a 190 lb man it’s 431 calories per hour.  

I walked this morning and walked almost every round since last April. I may start riding some rounds for the next 6 weeks due to the heat and humidity here in Georgia. Last July and August I was unable to play due to a medical issue so the humidity was not an issue.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

19 hours ago, GaDawg said:

I walked this morning and walked almost every round since last April. I may start riding some rounds for the next 6 weeks due to the heat and humidity here in Georgia. Last July and August I was unable to play due to a medical issue so the humidity was not an issue.

Walked yesterday, and the heat really affected me on the back 9. I might be walking 9, and riding 9 for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

I walk my local 9 and executive 18 courses if my plantar fasciitis is not acting up. If my foot is sore I'll ride though and on longer courses I definitely ride. 

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

• 2 months later...

I almost only walk as I've stated before, unless the course or heat demands a cart... BUT this may change my mind.

Screenshot_2021-10-16-11-20-58-15_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I prefer to walk and walk majority off rounds. If I am playing with group where everyone is riding then I will Ride.  Usually playing with co-workers or rounds with occasional friend where it is more social I will ride.  Most rounds i play as a single and join a group, I almost always walk in this case.   

Never really understood why anyone would want to get out of their car on the car park, put their golf bag on another car and then drive for another four or five miles, then put your clubs in your own car again and drive home.

Sure I've used a buggy once or twice but only when I've had some acute wrong with me and I couldn't cancel playing for fear of letting someone else down.

I much prefer to walk the course.  It allows me to get a much better feel and perspective of where I'm playing.

Yes, I endeavor to walk whenever I can. Even purchased a MotoCaddy M7 remote to take the bag off my back. Play better and enjoy the walk. Thanks.

Love my EVNRoll. Callaway driver and three metal. Titleist hybrids. Cobra iron. Titleist wedges. You know the putter.

Walk with my 13 year old son almost once a week. Hoof it or push cart it and always good exercise and play better as I’m more focused. 

Driver: TM Sim Max 9* Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 6.0

3W: TM Tour 13.5 Fujikua Motore 85s

3 Hybrid: Callaway 20*
Irons: Ping G400 5-Gap Nippon Modus 105X

Wedges: Vokey SM9 54s and 58T

Putter: Xenon - Ken Uselton 1 of 1

Yep, have a robot and prefer to walk 

Three, Albatross'

Three Holes in One

Plus, when I was 5 the first ball I ever hit on a golf course went in the hole, so I have that going for me.

My bag is a mish mash of Srixon drivers, cobra and adams fairways, TA1 irons and Hopkins wedges, plus a Cure putter.  

I almost always walk using a push cart and ride when it is required or sensible based on the course and conditions. 

• TaylorMade Stealth2+ 9° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 5-S
  • TaylorMade M5 15° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 6-S
  • Callaway CF-18 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
  • Srixon 4-AW Nippon Modus 3 105 R
  • Cleveland ZipCore 54° Mid and 58° Mid DG Spinner
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 35"
  • Titleist Pro V1
  • Arccos Gen 3 sensors

Never walk. Was a caddy as teenager, I walked the course then because it was my job,

Now if I am on the golf course it is to enjoy myself, not work. So no walking for me, unless I'm on a course that demands it, and in that case better be a top notch course

Driver: Cobra F6

3W: Titleist TSi3

5W: TM RocketBallz -(my favorite club)

Hybrids: Cleveland 2-4

Irons: Callaway Apex DCB 4-PW

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMB 52 & 56

Putter: TM Rossa Monte Carlo Mallet 

WALK? WALK? I walked to school. Now I ride everywhere!

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

I do in the cooler months when the course is cart path only.  And as long as the players in front of as well as behind us follow the rules and stay on the cart path, our group never has a problem keeping up with group in front of us and not being pushed by the group behind us.  I am 69 and do enjoy walking but do not handle the heat well so do not walk in the summer.

Some of us as we age just cannot do it anymore.  Even though in our minds we feel young, we really want to walk but certain parts of our bodies will just no let us do it.  My neurosurgeon and orthopedic surgeon both say enjoy the game but with your pain from walking, get a cart and make golf fun.   I prefer not to have any more back surgery and hip replacement is not something I look forward to.  Neither doctor seems in favor of surgery at this time either.  At I want is to continue playing and having fun but to walk 18 holes is very painful after about seven of those holes.  Some of the elite courses do not take this into account for seniors with limitations.   For those who can walk, which I did for many years, do it while you can, because someday that will be taken away from you when you least expect it.   

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

I used to walk tons. Had to stop 4 years ago as my hip and knee just couldn't handle the pain. OTC drugs did very little. My avg drive was 180 and I was OK with that at my age, 68. I had hip replacement surgery last fall. I was able to walk again and as I extended my range was able to start golfing again walking. Totally love it. Oh and my knee pain vanished as well. All because of my hip. Best medical decision I have made since quitting smoking. And my avg drive is now 225. I can actually get weight shifted to my left side now. It gives me time to think about my next shot...and how I screwed up the last one. Oh well. Good with the bad.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

I walked about 50% of my rounds from about 1991-2012.  Then I moved and started playing in a company golf league that didn't allow riding.  9 holes every Tuesday night.  Carried my bag the first two years and then got a push cart.  Now all of my local rounds are walking.  When I go on a trip I will ride.  I prefer walking.  Just play better when I do.  

Frye

Always walk until the days start getting to 90+ degrees.  Too many times I would walk it in the heat and start to drag about 14/15th hole.  Play golf for fun and it just wasn't.   

Callaway Mavrik 10.5 set to 11.5

Callaway Mavrik 4/5 wood

Callaway Mavrik 4/5 hybrid

Callaway Mavrik Max 6 hybrid

Callaway Mavrik irons 7-W w/TGI 70

Cleveland CBX2 48, 52, 56

Bettinardi BB1F

I regularly play a course here in N MI and walking is the only way one can play-no carts. I have a 4 wheel Sun Mountain cart and have used it for at least 10 years. When the pandemic hit last year, the only way you could play here was to walk. That cart came in mighty handy! I love to walk!

Golf Gear Head

I walk unless the course says you can't. I switched from a carry bag to putting my bag on a cart this year, but that's mostly so I can shove a few beers in my bag and not suffer. I'm 63, but my main exercise is hiking, and I do around 40 miles of that a week outside of golf. As a result most gold courses qualify as an easy walk in the park, punctuated by brief moments of joy and frustration.

Callaway Epic Flash Driver (9 degree), Callaway Mavrik 3W, Titlelist 910H 3h, Taylormade Speed Blade irons (4i-PW), Kirkland v1 wedges (52-56-60), Odyssey Versa 7 putter. All clubs R-flex