TESTERS WANTED! ×

Does anyone walk anymore?

I play 9 after work once a week with my dad.  If it is cooler out, we will walk. 

There are not a ton of courses in Pittsburgh that you would want to walk or are even allowed to.  

Bag: Big Max Dri Lite Summit Black/Red
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch "Hulk"
3 Wood: Callaway Epix Max - Aldila Ascent Red 
2 Iron: TaylorMade Stealth UDI - LA Golf A Series Hybrid
4-AW Irons: TaylorMade P790 - KBS Tour 120g Stiff (1/4" long, 2* upright)
54* & 58* Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5
Putter: Mizuno M Craft I Blue
Ball: Vice Pro Plus

Live in Phoenix area. Walk exclusively in the winter. Have started already and usually quit in May depending on temp. Electric trolleys for myself and my wife.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

I am still walking, for over 40 years but in the market for a good push cart.  I had an old Sun Mountain Speed Cart, it died.  Bought a new Sun Mountain Speed Cart .  It is already broken in 3 months.  Any reccomendations?

Doug Lewis

Avid golfer and middle handicapper

rosebowl 1.jpg

Every chance I get!! Always amazing to me how many able bodied people ride. Frankly, really sad.

On a separate but related note, what's come of the caddie? Even at private clubs, many offering policy to use push carts. Again, really sad.

Driver - Titleist TSi3 9.0  (Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.0)

3 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15 (Ventus Blue 7S)

5 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19 (Ventus Blue 7S)

Irons - Titleist T100s 4-PW + 49 (KBS $-Taper)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9 54D (KBS 610) & 58M (KBS 610)

Putter - Titleist Scotty Cameron - Phantom X 11.5

Ball - Titleist Pro V1 & Taylormade Tour Response (Blue/Pink Stripe)

I like walking shorter courses or nine hole courses mainly since I'm flat footed. The longer courses I'll muscle through it but the feet don't feel great afterwards. The rest of me is fine. Legs, back, arms, ect. I'm good for another 18. Feet don't agree. I don't mind carting if the price is right or I'm forced too like on a packed course on a weekend.

Cobra Bio Cell Driver and 3/4 Wood, Fly Z 2-3 & 3-4 hybrids, Taylor Made Burner OS Irons, Wilson Harmonized Wedges 52 & 56, Pine Meadow PGX putter. 

I rode in a cart for the first time in ages this weekend and, I have to say, it was amazing. I still prefer to walk "connected" courses (green flows to next tee box) but I was in a cart by myself and had an amazing back 9 because I felt so fresh. Still the best way to appreciate a course is to walk it but man, my ankle was not bothering me at all. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

The two weekend leagues I am in are walking only. 

I surprisingly find it easier to carry my bag than it is to push a cart 

Driver: Taylormade Sim 2 Max

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Max

Driving Iron: Titleist u510

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr

Irons: Taylormade P760

Wedges: Vokey Jet Black 52/56/60

Putter: Taylormade Spider X

Ball: ProV1x

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, PankaGolf said:

Just a different way to play I guess. Also know which I prefer. 

If you had a bad back, a screwed up shoulder, and a touchy achilles, you would prefer a cart also. Sometimes things aren't as cut and dried as people tend to think when they aren't on the other side of things.

If you are able to walk, that's great. I CAN walk too... it just wears on me after say... 10 holes.

What I get out of this walking thing is that quite a few of you look down on those of us that ride...like we are lesser golfers than you... and not really worthy of playing the game. I know that not all of you feel that way... but I'm betting a good percentage of you do.

Edited by silver & black
spelling

2 hours ago, silver & black said:

If you had a bad back, a screwed up shoulder, and a touchy achilles, you would prefer a cart also. Sometimes things aren't as cut and dried as people tend to think when they aren't on the other side of things.

If you are able to walk, that's great. I CAN walk too... it just wears on me after say... 10 holes.

What I get out of this walking thing is that quite a few of you look down on those of us that ride...like we are lesser golfers than you... and not really worthy of playing the game. I know that not all of you feel that way... but I'm betting a good percentage of you do.

I mean probably 90% of course here you can’t take a cart but if you think that’s a personal slight by an entire country you have at it. 

some things ain’t that deep homeboy. 

"C'mon be good"

9 hours ago, PankaGolf said:

I mean probably 90% of course here you can’t take a cart but if you think that’s a personal slight by an entire country you have at it. 

some things ain’t that deep homeboy. 

I don't recall saying anything about it being a slight by any country... homeboy.

Call it more like an observation over many years of the topic being discussed.

I will bow out of this now. Enjoy your time here at MGS.

• 3 weeks later...

Just ordered a push cart.

Tour Edge C723 8.0 MCA Tensei AV Blue Xlink 65S

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Tour Edge E723 21 degree MCA Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid Fujikura Fuel 85g Stiff

Corey Paul - 5-PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos

Bushnell V4

Got my Bag Boy Quad XL last week and have walked three nine hole rounds so far and loved it.  I was happy that I played pretty well while walking and felt good.  Worked up a sweat even in the colder weather we’ve had this past week.  Was definitely tired and sore afterwards though.

Trying to get in shape for a twice postponed golf trip to Ireland and Scotland scheduled for Mid June.  We will be walking every day.  I have requested a caddy each day so at least that will lighten the load a bit.

I want to enjoy my golf trip and hopefully play well so have embarked on a golf fitness program which includes walking twice a week with the push cart.  Will build up from 9 hole rounds to 18 hole round over the next few months to build up my stamina.

Tour Edge C723 8.0 MCA Tensei AV Blue Xlink 65S

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Tour Edge E723 21 degree MCA Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid Fujikura Fuel 85g Stiff

Corey Paul - 5-PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos

Bushnell V4

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

We are in walking only state for the courses right now so yes I walk a lot and here at least I have yet to see a course that is cart so we are walking carry only right now and when the course allows I have a push cart clic gear that I use!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I play approximately sixty 18 hole rounds a year and approximately twenty-five 9 hole rounds a year and walk at least 90% of the time. I've always enjoyed walking for any number of reasons. It's great exercise, you get more time to interact with your friends and it's especially beneficial if you're not playing well. It gives you time between shots to attempt to correct or diagnose what you're doing wrong. I've noticed that most times those walking generally play at a more acceptable pace than most who ride. Most who ride do not know proper golf etiquette and usually take longer than those walking. Walking also saves you quite a money each year. The average cart fee is $12-$15 and sometimes more. My Clicgear 4.0 push cart cost me $259.00 two years ago. With the amount of golf I play, I've saved hundreds of dollars just in the last two years and maybe more. A few of my friends have the Alphard V2 electric cart accessory which I would like to get this year to help me walk as many years as possible. 

Edited by tsheaffer23

Troy Sheaffer 

1 minute ago, tsheaffer23 said:

I play approximately sixty 18 hole rounds a year and approximately twenty-five 9 hole rounds a year and walk at least 90% of the time. I've always enjoyed walking for any number of reasons. It's great exercise, you get more time to interact with your friends and it's especially beneficial if you're not playing well. It gives you time between shots to attempt to correct or diagnose what you're doing wrong. I've noticed that most times those walking generally play at a more acceptable pace than most who ride. Most who ride do not know proper golf etiquette and usually take longer than those walking. Walking also saves you quite a money each year. The average cart fee is $12-$15 and sometimes more. My Clicgear 4.0 push cart cost me $259.00 two years ago. With the amount of golf I play, I've saved hundreds of dollars just in the last two years and maybe more. 

I walk three times per week doing it Monday - Wednesday.  I'm a fitness nut so when I'm not walking the course I'm in the gym. Love it! ❤️

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

We are in walking only state for the courses right now so yes I walk a lot and here at least I have yet to see a course that is cart so we are walking carry only right now and when the course allows I have a push cart clic gear that I use!

Why is it walk only? What if someone is handicapped?

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Just now, Lacassem said:

Why is it walk only? What if someone is handicapped?

Not only is it walk only, it is walk and carry (no push carts allowed either)

They do this in the off or winter season at the courses to help the grass I guess? 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Not only is it walk only, it is walk and carry (no push carts allowed either)

They do this in the off or winter season at the courses to help the grass I guess? 

Ahhhh gotcha makes sense. They still let carts out here during the winter, path only (until jerks don’t abide). I’m suspended the push carts although they are heavy enough to mess the grass up so it does make sense to ixnay that too.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

2 minutes ago, davewr58 said:

I have never used a cart. I’m 78 and I love taking my time and enjoying nature as I play. You don’t get any exercise riding in a cart and at my age, I need it!

Preach it brother! 💣

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Just wondering if there any walkers left. I recently returned to the joys of walking the course. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the idea of leaving the cart behind and playing in a much more relaxed state of mind. Also, it seems to me that I play better when walking. Anyone else enjoy putting one foot in front of the other when playing?

I walk every Wednesday at a walking 9-hole course here in Central Florida. Love walking golf! Most of the courses here are too large to walk though, so having a walking course nearby is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy