TESTERS WANTED! ×

Does anyone walk anymore?

Usually walk whenever I can. 65 years old and use a alphard electric cart. It’s the cats tush. Makes playing 36 a piece of cake. The battery lasts 27-36 holes depends on how hilly. 
I also have a seat on the cart. Walking makes me play at a slower pace which also helps my game. When it’s in the nineties I ride unless I get out early in the day. 

Witb= Rogue max LS driver

3wood 5 wood and 7 wood all first gen stealth. 
22 degree pxg hybrid 25 degree pxg hybrid  

6-pw Srixon zx5 mkII irons  traded in pxg 0211 from 4 years ago  

50-54-58 edel wedges with moveable weights  

labgolf putter with upgraded shaft  

thats 15 clubs  needless to say not all come to the course with me  

2 hours ago, Zman56 said:

Plus, save $20-30 a round by not renting a golf cart.  Back in 2020 I bought a new CaddyTek push cart for about $150 and have gotten my moneys worth!

This is huge for me . There is no way I could afford a cart even if I wanted to. 

I alternate between walking with my pencil bag and pushing a cart. Both are enjoyable. I generally push if it’s wet or might rain because my bag doesn’t have legs. 

I sit all day long at work so the walking is a huge relief for me. More relaxing and if you are with a group, I’ve found it’s also easier to maintain a conversation. 

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

I’m 80 and my preference is walking with ClickGear 3.5 push cart.  Wish I could afford a Stewart Remote but push cart is fine.  My problem being able to walk all the time are:  Texas Heat 100 deg plus, tournaments with shotgun starts, and partners who insist on riding, and sciatic/back pain flare up. But walking is my preference and I seem to play better.

A member of local senior golf group that play every week- which is improving my game.

6 minutes ago, Pete Birmingham said:

CZOscar: try looking for a good, used, motorized cart. Your back AND your golf game will thank you! MGI, MOTOgolf, Sptitzer, etc. 

... I picked up a ZIP and I sold my MGI Quad remote cart to my 80yr old playing partner. He used a push cart and switching to a remote cart has been a game changer for him. Especially the back 9 that has more elevation changes than the front. Now he wished he would have made the change years ago. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

6 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I picked up a ZIP and I sold my MGI Quad remote cart to my 80yr old playing partner. He used a push cart and switching to a remote cart has been a game changer for him. Especially the back 9 that has more elevation changes than the front. Now he wished he would have made the change years ago. 

The only problem that I have with my Motocaddy power trolley is that the remote is ultra-sensitive, and any kind of change in speed or direction is very abrupt.  This has caused the trolley to jump a few curbs and tip over more than once.  It has become such a hinderance that I went back to either carrying a lightweight stand bag or using my very old (8-10 years at a minimum) and quite worn-out BagBoy push cart.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

19 minutes ago, Pete Birmingham said:

CZOscar: try looking for a good, used, motorized cart. Your back AND your golf game will thank you! MGI, MOTOgolf, Sptitzer, etc. 

I wish that my motorized trolley was easy to use (see above post about this), but it just is not.

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

The only problem that I have with my Motocaddy power trolley is that the remote is ultra-sensitive, and any kind of change in speed or direction is very abrupt.  This has caused the trolley to jump a few curbs and tip over more than once.  It has become such a hinderance that I went back to either carrying a lightweight stand bag or using my very old (8-10 years at a minimum) and quite worn-out BagBoy push cart.

... My Motocaddy was the same and along with the gyroscope for dead straight tracking, the reason I went with MGI. Of course you can always use the Mottocaddy without the remote and avoid the jerking/sensitive controls. 

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... My Motocaddy was the same and along with the gyroscope for dead straight tracking, the reason I went with MGI. Of course you can always use the Mottocaddy without the remote and avoid the jerking/sensitive controls. 

I have yet to figure out how to do that while keeping pace with the trolley.  It seems that the only way to use the trolley without employing the remote is to manually push it, which requires 400% of the effort of pushing a manual trolley.

Bags - Vessel

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

I have yet to figure out how to do that while keeping pace with the trolley.  It seems that the only way to use the trolley without employing the remote is to manually push it, which requires 400% of the effort of pushing a manual trolley.

... Not trying to bash Motocaddy but they seem to have poor speed control. One speed was a little too slow and the next speed a little too fast and I heard that complaint by more than a few. My ZIP has a variable speed control so without the remote you can match it to your exact walking speed. And I am not trying to promote MGI as I am sure there are plenty of other power caddies with variable speed control. 

I prefer to walk whenever possible. It lets me focus on my game, take in more of the scenery, and better enjoy the moment. 

However, my mid 60, prosthetic filled, arthritic body limits my time. On flatter terrain, I can still handle walking 18 with a push cart. Living in northern IL and now in central PA, the topography limits that to nine these days. 

I’m respectful and appreciate pace of play, but “microwave golf” is another story. Golf shouldn’t be a sprint or drag race. I’m not sure how it’s enjoyable, but to each their own. I’ll gladly let you play through. 

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

27 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Not trying to bash Motocaddy but they seem to have poor speed control. One speed was a little too slow and the next speed a little too fast and I heard that complaint by more than a few. My ZIP has a variable speed control so without the remote you can match it to your exact walking speed. And I am not trying to promote MGI as I am sure there are plenty of other power caddies with variable speed control. 

I have a Motocaddy and I know what you mean about the different speeds. Variable speed would be nice. However I always have it sent out in front of me by 20/30yards or so. I start slowing it down when it gets to the ball. The only time I have a hand on it is going across bridges. Then I don’t mind walking a little slower anyway. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

52 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

Interesting. I have not had that issue. Occasionally I might hit the stop button instead of the slow down button. But that’s just me fat fingering. I don’t even look at the remote. The only real issue I have is side slopes (fairway or cart path) you have to keep feathering the turn arrow to keep it going straight. A gyroscopic feature would fix it and be a great upgrade.

12 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I have a Motocaddy and I know what you mean about the different speeds. Variable speed would be nice. However I always have it sent out in front of me by 20/30yards or so. I start slowing it down when it gets to the ball. The only time I have a hand on it is going across bridges. Then I don’t mind walking a little slower anyway. 

... I was talking more about the non remote mode when I had to walk too fast or slow down. Although sending it ahead always took constant control instead of ignoring it til I got to my ball. I don't like doing that as my course (others as well) have French drains, sprinkler heads or deeper divots I can see and can tip my cart over. he other complaint was no matter how much I adjusted the tracking on my M7 it was always in  "fade" or "draw" mode and never went in a straight line so again, constant direction adjustments. The gyroscope keeps my ZIP dead straight and is truly a game changer as I never have to adjust it's path. 

51 minutes ago, chisag said:

I don’t think that you are bashing Motocaddy at all; your comments are really spot-on based on my experience with their product.

Bags - Vessel

Spoiler

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... I was talking more about the non remote mode when I had to walk too fast or slow down. Although sending it ahead always took constant control instead of ignoring it til I got to my ball. I don't like doing that as my course (others as well) have French drains, sprinkler heads or deeper divots I can see and can tip my cart over. he other complaint was no matter how much I adjusted the tracking on my M7 it was always in  "fade" or "draw" mode and never went in a straight line so again, constant direction adjustments. The gyroscope keeps my ZIP dead straight and is truly a game changer as I never have to adjust it's path. 

Interesting. Mine goes straight for the most part. If there is slope or the front wheel hits something it will throw thing off and you have to correct it. I now life in a pinecone infested area. Always having to watch on cart paths. But the fairways are pretty flat and I can send it out very far with no concerns on French drains or recessed sprinkler heads. They all seem to be pretty flush with the grass surface.  

1 hour ago, funkyjudge said:

I don’t think that you are bashing Motocaddy at all; your comments are really spot-on based on my experience with their product.

Comments are spot on. Variable speed and a gyroscope would take this to the next level. Compared to pushing or pulling a trolly I'll deal with it. 

18 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Interesting. Mine goes straight for the most part. If there is slope or the front wheel hits something it will throw thing off and you have to correct it. I now life in a pinecone infested area. Always having to watch on cart paths. But the fairways are pretty flat and I can send it out very far with no concerns on French drains or recessed sprinkler heads. They all seem to be pretty flush with the grass surface.  

... I had the M7 and the S7 non remote models and both just do a slow curve one way or the other so every 10 yds or so a little correction was needed. It would be nice if the newer models fixed this and it tracks straight, which seems to be the case with yours. 👍

11 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I had the M7 and the S7 non remote models and both just do a slow curve one way or the other so every 10 yds or so a little correction was needed. It would be nice if the newer models fixed this and it tracks straight, which seems to be the case with yours. 👍

That slow curve is absolutely the case with my M7 Remote, but corrections are only required about every 15-20 yards. Virtually every incident that I have had with it have occurred because of not paying enough attention to this issue.

Bags - Vessel

Spoiler

40 minutes ago, Fjd said:

I’m 81 yrs old and have been walking and carrying for about 2 yrs now.  Sometimes ride the back nine due to the hills but enjoy walking.  I’ve tried pulling a cart but seems to be more difficult on many holes because of hilly conditions.

I'm impressed. 81 and still carrying and walking. You come from a good gene pool!

I had to stop when I lived in TN. It took so much energy to drag a pushcart up the extremely hilly course I belonged to. Then I was gifted the Motocaddy and it made things a lot easier. But summer months were brutal, so it was a riding cart until the weather cooled down. Even then just walking the hills took your breath away and I'm in decent shape. Nothing worse than standing over a birdie putt and your heart is pounding so hard that it wants to rip out of your chest. 

5 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

That slow curve is absolutely the case with my M7 Remote, but corrections are only required about every 15-20 yards. Virtually every incident that I have had with it have occurred because of not paying enough attention to this issue.

I'm sure you went through the adjustment procedure in a flat parking lot right?

14 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I'm sure you went through the adjustment procedure in a flat parking lot right?

I actually did it twice on my very flat garage floor.

Bags - Vessel

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I'm impressed. 81 and still carrying and walking. You come from a good gene pool!

I had to stop when I lived in TN. It took so much energy to drag a pushcart up the extremely hilly course I belonged to. Then I was gifted the Motocaddy and it made things a lot easier. But summer months were brutal, so it was a riding cart until the weather cooled down. Even then just walking the hills took your breath away and I'm in decent shape. Nothing worse than standing over a birdie putt and your heart is pounding so hard that it wants to rip out of your chest. 

I just turned 74 and I always walk and carry for nine-hole rounds, and about one out of four 18-hole rounds that I play.  In addition, I walk 3.6 to 4.5 miles with my wife every morning that I am not playing golf, weather permitting (and we will walk in sub-freezing weather as long as there is no sleet or freezing rain falling).

I think that all of that walking has been a big factor in me losing and keeping off more than 25 lbs for almost 4 years (from 198 lbs to 172 lbs that has been as low as 169 lbs in the last six months).

Edited by funkyjudge

Bags - Vessel

Spoiler

On 3/26/2023 at 11:52 AM, silver & black said:

Ummm..... yea. I think that's why I bolded the "ruin the game" part and responded with the roll eyes emoticon.

Yeah. I play worse in a cart. It wrecks my rhythm of my game. Walking off the yardage while walking to the ball, having all my clubs with me and not worrying about leaving a club or two behind, having my towel with me, etc., etc. lets me concentrate on the golf, not grabbing things I will need when I get to my ball, having to walk sidewys to my ball, the fast, slow, fast, slow, start, stop of a cart.

Callaway 816 Alpha DBD driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, Alpha 815 3 hybrid, RAZR X Forged cavity back irons 3-AW, 54-14 MD4 wedge, Maltby MS+ wide grind 60 degree lob wedge, 37 inch Rife Swithback Two putter. All clubs overlength - 47 inch driver, 45 inch 3wood, 44 inch 5 wood, 41 inch 3 hybrid, 39.5 inch 5 iron with other irons in line with that. All clubs graphite shafted and X-flex except flex of putter.

18 hours ago, Bob Pegram said:

Yeah. I play worse in a cart. It wrecks my rhythm of my game. Walking off the yardage while walking to the ball, having all my clubs with me and not worrying about leaving a club or two behind, having my towel with me, etc., etc. lets me concentrate on the golf, not grabbing things I will need when I get to my ball, having to walk sidewys to my ball, the fast, slow, fast, slow, start, stop of a cart.

Okay. And those of us that prefer a cart ruin the game... right?

Just wondering if there any walkers left. I recently returned to the joys of walking the course. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the idea of leaving the cart behind and playing in a much more relaxed state of mind. Also, it seems to me that I play better when walking. Anyone else enjoy putting one foot in front of the other when playing?

Tried walking for the first time last week after getting a Stitch carry bag for Christmas (great carry bag). I loved walking and carrying. 67a4ed2787add29a37ebf87319f171da.jpg
Going to keep trying to walk until it gets too hot in Houston. Going to need to work up the stamina. I was exhausted by hole 13 and my score went with it.

Houston TX handicap 18

Current bag:
Wedges - Vokey 58, 54, 50
Irons - Wilson Staff D9 forged 4-PW
Hybrid - Taylor Made burner rescue 19 degree
3 wood - Calloway Rogue ST max 15 degree
Driver - Calloway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5 degree

I’m 72 and walk 6.8 miles 4-5 days a week on a hilly course. 

Played golf for over 50 years until my health and business calendar reduced my time to less then 5 rounds a year. Then 4 years ago I retired, changed my diet and lifestyle, lost 100 pounds and got back on the course. Its been a struggle but things are getting better.

with the advent of motorized club carriers, I have seen an increase in walkers.  mostly older players - 90% of people under 30 ride a cart.  I Marshall a muni on weekends.

Short game first

I’m 40 and just tried a push cart...I’m hooked on walking. 

calmer, more relaxed, and my low back and hips stay loose and I’m less fatigued after a round somehow.  One of our courses is 7.5 miles of walking on 18, but my core isn’t stiff two hours after I play like it often is when riding.  

I also found that my overall pace of play is the same whether I walk or ride since I can head direct to the ball. Huge bonus during cart path only

I want aware until reading the other posts that walking wasn’t allowed some places.  I’ll have to be on the look out for that.

WITB:

Playing MAXFLI TOURX

PXG GEN5 0311 driver, Ping 425 LS 3W, Cobra King Tec 3H, Mizuno 932 Hot Metal Pro Irons, Volkey wedges, Odessey white hot 5k putter