TESTERS WANTED! ×

Does anyone walk anymore?

I wish more courses around me allowed/tolerated walking.  Granted two of the courses on my normal rota wind through a housing development and simply can't be walked (unless you're into a 15 mile hike) but I do miss the pace of walking and the time it gives my brain to digest my surroundings and the next shot.

Driver; Callaway RAZR Fit

Fairway and hybrids: Callaway X2 Pro

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825

Wedges: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Yes, I walk my home course, TPC Colorado virtually every time I play. I’m a founding member since 2017. The walk is an average of 16000 steps, so approximately 8 miles. I use my Bat Caddy battery powered golf bag cart and play with other walkers 4-5 days/week when the course is playable.

Don Figgins

A dozen or so years ago the USGA had a walking program with a pledge to walk courses.  Even had a place to sign your pledge to walking.

https://www.usga.org/articles/2012/04/course-care-take-the-pledge-for-greener-golf-21474846468.html

Chambers Bay in Washington where the 2015 US Open was played is a walking only course although exceptions are made for cart use for handicapped.  But for the most part you are not riding.  

GPS111

I prefer to walk but most of the courses around here aren't walker friendly (too much elevation changes and distance between tees). I did buy a cart last year and i walk whenever i play walker friendly courses. 

For those thinking of purchasing a cart. My recommendations. Get a seat. Brake lock on the handle instead of near the wheel. An attached bag to put things ( jackets, i take off my bag straps when i use my cart, etc.). 

What's in the bag.

•  Driver: Titleist TSi3 10° Mitsubishi Tensei AV SFW 55g S Flex.
  • 3W and 5W: Callaway GBB 15° and 18° Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 50g R Flex.
  • 7W: Cobra LTDx 22.5° HZRDUS Smoke iM10 60g S Flex.
  • Irons: Titleist 718 CB 3-PW. 2° flat. True Temper AMT Tour White S300.
  • Wedges: Mizuno S23 2° flat. 52° and 58°. Dynamic Gold stiff.
  • Putter: Mizuno M Craft II. Cut to 33" with 13g heel and toe weights.
  • Ball: Titleist AVX.

I walk if allowed 98% of the time. It's so much more enjoyable for me and great exercise. Allows more perspective of green contours. I've had back issues that don't allow me to carry, but hope to get back to carrying this year. Carrying allows me as I'm walking to clean and dry my club, put my head cover on, take my glove off, walk across a green with my clubs(marking my ball and cleaning it), keep score, glove on, tee and ball out of pocket, driver out and head cover off. This saves up to a minute a hole over a push cart.

WITB

Ping G15 9*, Wilson F5 fairways and hybrids, Cobra forged one length 4-GW

Vokey 52* and 56* wedges, Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna 2 flatstick

My golfing buddy and I belong to a golf club that used to allow members to walk the back nine early in the morning (until about 8:30) and later in the afternoon as part of the membership.  After we attended a golf school, we agreed to meet one day a week to walk a few holes in the back playing multiple balls to practice what we learned.  I bought a pull cart and we found the practice and helping one another with the drills we learned helped to sustain our improvement.

This year however, the course decided to charge an additional $750 on top of your membership for the privilege of walking nine holes.  We talked to the owner and his rationale was that walkers do not spend any money at the course.  They don't pay cart fees and the bar isn't opened when they finish so they don't drink.  Of course, he conveniently doesn't count the $2300 membership fee in his argument, especially since the course is basically just sitting there unused until the first group makes the turn.  So, my pull cart collects dust in my shed and I likely will not be walking until they change their minds on the added fee.

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

I think I would take my money and golf some place else, charging you to walk? Really?

Does he charge you for the air you breath also? The sun that shines on you?

I Play in SW WA and in the PDX area

I like to walk, I have a Clicgear with all the accoutrements and I am considering getting a V2.

2 hours ago, Golf2Much said:

My golfing buddy and I belong to a golf club that used to allow members to walk the back nine early in the morning (until about 8:30) and later in the afternoon as part of the membership.  After we attended a golf school, we agreed to meet one day a week to walk a few holes in the back playing multiple balls to practice what we learned.  I bought a pull cart and we found the practice and helping one another with the drills we learned helped to sustain our improvement.

This year however, the course decided to charge an additional $750 on top of your membership for the privilege of walking nine holes.  We talked to the owner and his rationale was that walkers do not spend any money at the course.  They don't pay cart fees and the bar isn't opened when they finish so they don't drink.  Of course, he conveniently doesn't count the $2300 membership fee in his argument, especially since the course is basically just sitting there unused until the first group makes the turn.  So, my pull cart collects dust in my shed and I likely will not be walking until they change their minds on the added fee.

That is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard about a golf course.  Isn't that what green fees or memberships are for?  To be able to play the course?  If I choose to walk vs "spending money" to rent a cart I need to be penalized?  Maybe he needs penalized by taking your business somewhere else.  

He would have been better off just saying membership went up $750.  

GPS111

On 4/1/2023 at 1:15 AM, Golf2Much said:

I went to another course for this very reason, plus the bs etiquette rules they’ve got…

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

Yup, walk 3 to 4 times a week have a Clicgear push cart that helps me along.  I've had both my hips resurfaced and getting out walking helps considerably.

I can hack it up on holes from time to time, with glimpses of brilliance on others.

I still walk, not every weekend, but I do like it, nice and relaxing.

I have 3 dogs, I have 3 different hobby level rc, I try to golf as much as possible. At the moment my handicap is 25.1, and improving. Been golfing for about 10 years but only regularly for about 2.

I typically play better while carting, actually. Though I do think having a really nice push/pull cart could be a game-changer for walking - which I do not have at this time. That's another forum question... but I believe riding keeps my legs fresher and gets me to my ball faster so I can take my time with club selection and shot strategy.

Husband. Musician. Financial Advisor. Future retired golfer.

Apex irons, Taylormade Woods.

1 hour ago, jehresmann said:

That's another forum question... but I believe riding keeps my legs fresher and gets me to my ball faster so I can take my time with club selection and shot strategy.

... Since you asked, walking with a push cart/remote cart can keep your body "active" with blood flowing and granted I am in good shape and walk 5 times a week, even at age 70 fresh legs are never a problem. I have much more of a problem sitting and standing over and over again when riding in a cart. If possible I always let my pard drive and I walk as much as possible when in a cart. I also have plenty of time to consider my next shot when approaching the ball so club selection and shot strategy is already happening before I get to my ball. Since the vast majority of the time I have to wait for the group in front before I can execute my shot, I can't ever remember a time when walking was slower than riding when sharing a cart with another player. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

42 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Since you asked, walking with a push cart/remote cart can keep your body "active" with blood flowing and granted I am in good shape and walk 5 times a week, even at age 70 fresh legs are never a problem. I have much more of a problem sitting and standing over and over again when riding in a cart. If possible I always let my pard drive and I walk as much as possible when in a cart. I also have plenty of time to consider my next shot when approaching the ball so club selection and shot strategy is already happening before I get to my ball. Since the vast majority of the time I have to wait for the group in front before I can execute my shot, I can't ever remember a time when walking was slower than riding when sharing a cart with another player. 

I walk 3.5 to 4.5 miles almost every single day that I don’t play golf, and I have only ridden in a cart one time since May, 2022. I do ride during my annual Myrtle Beach golf trips, but only because it is required at virtually every golf course down there. Even then, I usually walk between shots.

BTW, I just turned 74 years old two weeks ago.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

3 minutes ago, silver & black said:

My brother and I were behind a 4 some of walkers today. Damn.... what a long day it was.

That is something I just don't understand. I play 18 holes in a cart in 2 hours and 15 minutes. I play 18 holes walking in 2 hours and 30 minutes. I'm not running either at my age. They must not be playing ready golf and probably spending more time stationary chatting instead of walking and chatting. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

24 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

That is something I just don't understand. I play 18 holes in a cart in 2 hours and 15 minutes. I play 18 holes walking in 2 hours and 30 minutes. I'm not running either at my age. They must not be playing ready golf and probably spending more time stationary chatting instead of walking and chatting. 

... Yup a head scratcher for sure. One of my playing cards is 80 and uses a push cart and we are always waiting for the group in front and 90% of the time they are in riding carts. There are certainly slow walkers out there but they are pretty rare in my experience. I would add I never play in the mornings and rarely on the weekend so that could figure into it. 

... I have said this many times but walkers are almost always faster than those riding in carts. Mostly because walkers play ready golf, go to their own balls and rarely flag down the cart girl for a stop that always seems to take too long. We actually had to wait yesterday after the cart girl serviced the group in front of us riding in carts that was 1.5 holes behind when another two carts from two holes ahead saw her and doubled back to the middle of our fairway! By the time they finished and drove off we were on that tee box for almost 15 minutes but still caught the group ahead by the next fairway. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

19 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

28 minutes ago, silver & black said:

My brother and I were behind a 4 some of walkers today. Damn.... what a long day it was.

That is ridiculous, and (in my experience) totally out of character for walkers. I walk with a foursome and always have. Foursomes behind us, in carts, almost never come within a shot of us. We play in about 3:40, without rushing.

52 minutes ago, silver & black said:

That’s crazy! I have NEVER seen a group of walkers who play slowly. Last Monday, in my 9-hole league, all four of my group walked (two carried their bags; two used hand carts). We waited on virtually every shot, and we finished almost AN HOUR AHEAD of the foursome behind us (all riders).

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

Why did you ask to play through? My group we play fast, and If a group is on our hinnys we ask them to play through

I like to walk, I have a Clicgear with all the accoutrements and I am considering getting a V2.

My new club, Heritage Isles, Tampa FL does not allow walkers, not even members. Guess I’ll have to market my Caddytek.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

3 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I usually have no problem with walkers. These guys couldn't hit the ball more than 30 yards at a time. Obviously new players.... and that isn't a problem either. But... they all stayed together instead of going to their own ball... like lost puppies following each other...lol.

It was a nice day, so we just enjoyed the time out on the course. We just laughed because we always get behind  players like this..... it's just a given whenever we play, for some reason. I guess I'm just saying that walkers aren't always faster.... and carts aren't always slower or a bad thing.

Something I've been pondering: How much more would greens fees be if everyone walked and there was no revenue from carts?

I think I actually play quicker walking. A group of us walk on saturdays and if we’re the first ones out four of us finish in under 3 hours. 

I enjoy walking for the exercise and being able to see the whole course when coming to shots when I miss the green. Gives me more perspective. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

I always prefer walking even if I am gassed trying to keep up with the carts in front and behind me. No problems on a slow day but when pace of play is quick...

:taylormade-small:  SIM2 10.5° - PX HZRDUS Smoke Black 70

:taylormade-small:  SIM2 Max 3 wood - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

:cobra-small:  LTDx - 3 Hybrid - KBS PGI 85

:mizuno-small:  Pro 223 - 4/G  - True Temper Dynamic Gold x100

:cleveland-small:  588 RTX - 54/58° - True Temper Dynamic Gold 

:cameron-small: Phantom X 5 - Garsen Max 15

15 hours ago, LeftyMatt89 said:

I think I actually play quicker walking. A group of us walk on saturdays and if we’re the first ones out four of us finish in under 3 hours. 

I enjoy walking for the exercise and being able to see the whole course when coming to shots when I miss the green. Gives me more perspective. 

I’m the same way. I’ve rarely played a round quicker in a cart than I do walking. Especially when my cart partner isn’t playing the same as me. Really makes the hole play slower and then I’m walking anyway and carrying several clubs with me to make sure I have what I need. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

Typically I do not walk, but opt for a cart.  However if the course is 'cart path only' that day, usually because of excessive rain, I will walk.  I have found that 'cart path only' tends to seriously slow down the play.

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

I have a hard time wrapping my head around a place that does "not allow" someone to walk.

I know my group, we all walk and if it werent for the cart people, we could easily finish in 3 hours.

So I'm just wondering what the logic is for forcing people to cart it?

15 minutes ago, Manny said:

I have a hard time wrapping my head around a place that does "not allow" someone to walk.

I know my group, we all walk and if it werent for the cart people, we could easily finish in 3 hours.

So I'm just wondering what the logic is for forcing people to cart it?

I've golfed in several places in Canada and Washington where carts are required due to the terrain and/or where the hike between green and next tee is a hundred or more yards.  Walking those slows pace of play considerably to well over 5 hrs.  Carts are a necessity to keep pace of play down to 4 - 4.5 hrs.

Not many but some are cart only.  There are others (Aberdeen Glen in Prince George, BC) that provides a courtesy cart service to haul you between specific holes but you can walk.  Uses an 8 person golf cart!

But you always have the option to not play a cart only course.  There are plenty of others.

GPS111

55 minutes ago, GPS111 said:

I've golfed in several places in Canada and Washington where carts are required due to the terrain and/or where the hike between green and next tee is a hundred or more yards.  Walking those slows pace of play considerably to well over 5 hrs.  Carts are a necessity to keep pace of play down to 4 - 4.5 hrs.

Not many but some are cart only.  There are others (Aberdeen Glen in Prince George, BC) that provides a courtesy cart service to haul you between specific holes but you can walk.  Uses an 8 person golf cart!

But you always have the option to not play a cart only course.  There are plenty of others.

I understand pace of play issues, but I really prefer walking and I generally play better walking unless it’s raining or it’s really hot on the course.

I think courses should really be designed to allow walking.  I know some places are impossible due to terrain, but I think many courses can still allow for it if they are designed with walkers in mind.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

I enjoy walking. I don’t do it nearly as much as I’d like to. But I have noticed that I seem to play better when I walk. My best guess is I get more time to think about shots etc. I haven’t decided if I prefer a push cart or just a carry bag though. I tend to go back and forth between them. 

D=Stealth 2 - Accra TZ RPG Tour M4+ 462 
FW = Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Triple Diamond - Tensei AV White 75 Tour X
Ping iCrossover 3 iron - Hzrdus Red RDX 6.5
4-P Taylormade P770 - DG 105 X100 - 1 Deg. Flat
51/55 MG3 Black - DG Wedge  - 1 Deg. Flat
59 Hi Toe 3 - DG Wedge
Putter - L.A.B. Mezz1 Max
Ball - Maxfli Tour S
Bag - Vessel Players 3 Carbon Navy