Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Does anyone walk anymore?

This winter I walked more in our Sunday group than I have in the past. I just know that when summer comes round in West Texas I won't be walking in 95-105 degree summer heat. 

Driver: Taylormade Sim 2 Max

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Max

Driving Iron: Titleist u510

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr

Irons: Taylormade P760

Wedges: Vokey Jet Black 52/56/60

Putter: Taylormade Spider X

Ball: ProV1x

Wish I could walk. I have overstretched ligaments around my left ankle that precludes me from walking, especially hilly terrain. With the new push for electric follow carts, I dream of getting one and trying.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I walk almost every round I play. (125 in 2022). I use a BatCaddy remote control cart though. 40% of the rounds at my Club are walkers. 

CE143487-96DB-4886-A9E7-0D61A53D8FDB.jpeg

PING G435 MAX

PING G710 Irons 5-W

Vokey SM8 Wedges 52-56-60

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Putter  (2018)

I only ride when there are options to riding in a cart. 15 yrs ago I had 2 stents inserted that improved my blood flow. Dr told me to move more on a daily bases. So I began walking 2 miles a day. Wife gave me a new push cart. Found I felt better after each round of golf, however scorecard didn't improve. HA HA. I began increasing my miles each year, now my daily average is 10 miles a day. Being a retired Army MSG (32 yrs) I follow strict rules by playing left, right, left, right. Average golf course distance is 5-7 miles but that is straight down the fairway. That is no fun, cause you miss poison ivy, snakes, gators, and some brand new golf balls. My Dr is very happy with the result I have achieved. Standing heart rate 50, resting heart rate 46, BP 135/60. After turning 75 last October I walk as much as possible each day. Anyone up for 36 holes with no cart?

Enjoy playing golf NOT trying to be a PRO

I admit that I ride most rounds but this is due to this being the normal at my club. I feel that walking is the best way to play golf both from a social and physical health aspect. Unfortunately, I feel that courses now pressure people to ride due to primarily financial reasons so they can collect money for the cart fee and get more golfers in the course due to the feeling that walkers slow the course down. If given the option I will choose to walk every round.
The other component of this I feel needs to be addressed is the stigma associated with using a pushcart. I would be interested to hear what others say about this. Some courses and people tend to look down on those that use push carts. I love having a caddy but most courses have done away with caddy programs and can’t afford to start one up. Because of this, I feel that many people who would walk with a push cart don’t because they can’t carry their bag for 18 and don’t want the stigma associated with using a pushcart. 

Mavrik driver

titliest 917 3 wood

titliest 3 hybrid

titliest T200 5-PW

SM 8 wedges: 45, 50, 55, 60

newport 2 putter 

Until I was diagnosed with a fourth level lumbar stenosis (3 previous fusions) last year and forced into a cart, I always walked - from 8 years old to 74. I walked 12 weeks post bi-lateral total  knee replacements at age 53. Same with a hip replacement. Carts are an anathema to golf - walking allows one to enjoy the course, plan the next shot by seeing /feeling the topography and judging the wind and ground conditions, and walkers rarely leave clubs behind as their bags are with them. Plus, walkers can cover shorter distances by taking shortcuts where carts cannot go. I’ve often played 18 in 2½ hrs and enjoyed every second! BTW - I have always carried my bag; love the feel of it on my shoulder. Carts - ugh!

Edited by painter33

I almost always walk...even when it's hot.  Good exercise and why spend the money to sit in a cart waiting for the group ahead of you when playing Men's (which is always slow).  Plus it gives you time to walk it out after a poor shot 🙂

Live Life...oh and golf a lot!

In the Bag:

Driver & 3 Wood: Titleist TSi3                Hybrids: Callaway Paradym and Ping

Irons: Mizuno 225 Pro  (5-PW)               Wedges: Taylormade MG4 50*, Taylormade Hi-Toe 56*, Ping Glide 4.0 60* (Vokeys are resting downstairs right now 😁

Putter: Alternate between Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 and Scotty Cameron Phantom 12.5

Lucky that my local course is laid back.  They let me wife, who doesn't play and the dog walk with me.  When the weather is good we try to get out there at least once a week at the end of the day.

WITB - Currently hitting PXG 0211s, irons, driver and putter.  Cleveland wedges.  Love golf, wish I was better at it than I am.  Try to play at least one time a week and get to the range or some other type of practice, putting, chipping a couple times a week.  

14 minutes ago, painter33 said:

Until I was diagnosed with a fourth level lumbar stenosis (3 previous fusions) last year and forced into a cart, I always walked - from 8 years old to 74. I walked 12 weeks post bi-lateral total  knee replacements at age 53. Same with a hip replacement. Carts are an anathema to golf - walking allows one to enjoy the course, plan the next shot by seeing /feeling the topography and judging the wind and ground conditions, and walkers rarely leave clubs behind as their bags are with them. Plus, walkers can cover shorter distances by taking shortcuts where carts cannot go. I’ve often played 18 in 2½ hrs and enjoyed every second! BTW - I have always carried my bag; love the feel of it on my shoulder. Carts - ugh!

Age 62, cancer survivor here, still walking and carrying. 11 clubs, 6 golf balls, Sun Mountain 2.5 bag. I am looking at electric push carts, but so far none strikes both my eyes and my wallet. 

Just now, Andrew75 said:

Age 62, cancer survivor here, still walking and carrying. 11 clubs, 6 golf balls, Sun Mountain 2.5 bag. I am looking at electric push carts, but so far none strikes both my eyes and my wallet. 

Settled clubs: Epon 50/8, 45/6, 40/5, 35/4, 30/4, 26/3 all with Zelos 8 stiff, 1/2 degree flat. Mizuno CLK Hybrid 20 degrees. Putter: 37" rife.h Hbore xl 2wood (the unicorn)--16 degrees, 420 cc? 

Not settled: 54/10 Vokey 

Not settle: 12 degree Mizuno stx 12* set to 11.

I almost ALWAYS walk the course when I play golf. In the spring and summer when I play in both an 18-hole statewide travel league and in one or two 9-hole evening leagues, I either use a manual push cart or walk and carry my bag (no carrying when temperatures are above 90-95* with high humidity).

On my winter golf tour, where we play mostly 18-hole events, with a few two-day 36-hole events thrown in, I walk and use my push cart, which is getting very old and tire.  I walk and carry my bag (usually lightened a bit by dropping a couple of clubs) on courses where manual carts are not allowed, as was the case yesterday where the course also charged almost $32 per golfer for a cart.

Because my manual push cart is on its last legs (front wheel bearings worn out and no tread left on the rear tires), I broke down and purchased a Motocaddy electric “trolley” which I received last week. I have been practicing operating it in the yard and around my neighborhood, and was looking forward to using it at my tour event this week and next, but both tour courses prohibit the use of manual carts of any type (next week’s location has a novel approach, adding $25 to the event fee as a mandatory cart charge whether the golfer chooses to walk or ride).  Because of this, I may just skip the event!

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

2 hours ago, kylebennett006 said:

For me, it depends on what the rest of my day entails. If I'm trying to squeeze a quick 9 during the day with lots of responsibility later on, I will absolutely take a cart and zip around the course in 90min.

If I have the luxury of taking my time--kids are taken care of, no pressing familial or professional responsibility--I will walk with my push cart.

I've also found that when playing in a 4-some, walking is much quicker because everyone goes to their own ball and can think about what they want to do during the walk. It's why the term "cart golf" was invented.

I have no idea of your course layout as far as hills and distance from green to tee, but I walk 18 in 2.5 hours when alone. 3 hours if we are in a twosome. Of course, our course has just a couple of good hills and the green to tee distances are fairly short for the most part. Can you drive to your ball or is it cart path only. That is another big time waster (cart path only).

Mitchell Heller            

All lefty

Taylormade Stealth Plus - KBS TD 50 gram Regular flex. Sometimes Autoflex 405

Taylormade Stealth 3HL Fairway wood - Ventus Red Regular flex

Taylormade Stealth 4 and 5 hybrid Ventus Red Regular Flex

PXG 28 degree hybrid KBS TGI 70 Regular flex

Taylormade P790 6,7,8,9,P 3 degrees flat - Ventus Red Regular Flex

Taylormade MG3 50  and 54 degree 3 degrees flat - Ventus Red Regular Flex          Taylormade MG 60 degree - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge Shaft

LAB MEZZ 1 putter

OnCore ELIXR 2020

22 minutes ago, Mitch H said:

I have no idea of your course layout as far as hills and distance from green to tee, but I walk 18 in 2.5 hours when alone. 3 hours if we are in a twosome. Of course, our course has just a couple of good hills and the green to tee distances are fairly short for the most part. Can you drive to your ball or is it cart path only. That is another big time waster (cart path only).

On most days, you can drive directly to your ball. Only on the wettest of days will they require cart path only.

:srixon-small: Z785 9.5° |

:taylormade-small: M5 3W |

:nike-small: Sq Dymo^2 5W (just can't quit you) |

:taylormade-small: P790 4-AW |

:cleveland-small: RTX 4 56/60° |

THEE :odyssey-small:White Hot OG Rossie (2006)

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Andrew 75 congratulations on your recovery - hope it extends for many decades! I tried a 3-wheeled push cart but found I was spending way too much time dealing with parking it: the brake, the little inclines, etc. - a  total pain - instead of thinking about golf. My little Ping Moonlite bag, my third, has been the lightest, most comfortable bag I’ve ever owned, AND, it’s lousy on motorized carts. Ha!

I walk about half of my rounds in AZ, maybe 75% in WI. When I walk it's always with a push cart - my back gets cranky when I try to carry. Never felt any sort of bad vibe from any other player, or the club, for using a push cart.  I think I get a little better feel for the game walking, but if everyone else is riding I might saddle-up too.

Madison bats -

Driver - Callaway Mavrik 10.5*, Reg 55 gram Riptide

3W - Taylor Rocket Ballz 15* R

5W - Taylor Rocket Balls 19* 

Hybrid 22* Rocket Balls R, 25* Hyper Speed R

Irons - 6-P Titleist AP2 712 S TT Gold Hi Launch

W 52, 56, 60 Vokey SM6

38 minutes ago, Mitch H said:

Cart path only is an added motivation for me, and several of the guys that I play golf with, to walk the course.

The courses that ban use of any type of manual or motorized “push cart” often combine that with a cart path only policy, which invariably leads to 5 hour rounds … or worse!

I walk some extremely hilly courses, with a few lengthy walks from greens to the next tees, and we still manage to play our tournament rounds in just about 4 hours The last three events at courses like this have been completed in 4:05 (actually a bit less because there were 22 foursomes and a shotgun start, so my group had to wait to tee off because we were the “B group” on our starting hole), 3:55 and about 4:20 yesterday (we were on a sub-4 hour pace until we caught up with the group ahead of us with 3 holes to play and had to wait to hit our final three sets of tee shots). The worst part of playing in these tour events is that average player fields are between 88-120 golfers, and when there is a shotgun start with fields of more than 72 golfers the pace of play is horrendously slow.

I would much rather play with set starting times and 10 minute tee time intervals than wait around to hit all day due to a shotgun start and a large number of players. In fact, all of the three events that I have won on this tour, and almost all where I have finished in the money in my five years on the tour (all but one, if memory serves me correctly) have had no shotgun starts, just set tee times for everyone.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

Heck yeah I walk, paid £150 for my trolley, I'm going to make sure I get £150's worth of use out of it 😁😁😁

Ryan Gardiner 

Driver: Wilson Deep Red Maxx

Woods: 3W Cobra speedzone

Hybrid: 4H Cobra Speedzone

Irons: Cobra King F8 5-9, PW, GW

Wedges: Rife RX7 60:8 & 56:12

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro Hammer

On 5/9/2017 at 3:03 PM, verojoe said:

Just wondering if there any walkers left. I recently returned to the joys of walking the course. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the idea of leaving the cart behind and playing in a much more relaxed state of mind. Also, it seems to me that I play better when walking. Anyone else enjoy putting one foot in front of the other when playing?

Hi All!

I started as a walker and will walk 95% of the time.  The only time I don't walk is usually when I'm not allowed to in situations such as tournaments that mandate carts & charity outings, etc.  Once in a while if bad weather has a reasonably high potential I'll take a cart as to not get caught in it.  If weather is good and walking is an option, I love to walk.  

I'm not a "cheap" person but I do not enjoy spending money on a cart just to get to my ball quicker and then sit and wait longer for the group in front to move so I can hit my next shot.  I am fully capable of walking and while I have that status and hopefully for a long time to come, I will enjoy walking.  

I do not fault anyone who takes a cart, it's just not really for me.  I love the exercise along with while walking I feel like I get to really see the course hole by hole and I always love seeing wild life such as eagles, foxes, turkeys, etc.  In a cart I feel like I don't really see the course or much of anything because it all goes by so quickly. 

For me, I feel walking allows me to decompress and enjoy golf more and I feel in a cart I'm always rushed to get to my next shot and hit it.  

With that said, I know people who can't physically walk due to health issues but with a cart they can still enjoy golf and that to me is a great option to have.   I hope everyone can enjoy golf as much as I do regardless of their walking/cart using status and we all can compete and have fun together!

PXG Gen1 Tour 0311 Irons 4-PW

Ping G425 LST 9 Degree Driver

Ping G410 LST 14.5 Degree 3 Wood

Exotics EX9 18 Degree Hybrid

Titleist Vokey SM9 Wedges - 52, 56, 60 Degrees

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Putter

Titleist ProV1x Ball #14 

1 hour ago, Korban61 said:

I walk 18 holes on Friday, then ride another 18. Same on Sunday, 18 walk then 18 ride. I started doing this a few years ago, now I feel like I hardly played if I only play 18 holes.

Are the scores the same/similar for the two 18's in a day with one walking and one riding?

I did something similar back in the day but walked both 18's, one carrying the bag and the second on a cart.  Carrying long periods always wore on my shoulder and affected the swing a little.  The cart scores were usually a couple strokes better even though it was the second round of the day.

GPS111

I walk every time I play at least 2-3 times. I have a loaded Clicgear seat, cooler water cooler, range finder bag, shoe cleaner.

You get the point!  Plus when I get home at night I sleep like a baby!

I walk every time I play at least 2-3 times. I have a loaded Clicgear seat, cooler water cooler, range finder bag, shoe cleaner.

You get the point!  Plus when I get home at night I sleep like a baby!

I Play in SW WA and in the PDX area

I like to walk, I have a Clicgear with all the accoutrements and I am considering getting a V2.

I've recently made a commitment to walk whenever the temperatures are less than 75 or so.  As my fitness improves I might move that up, but the idea of walking a hilly course in 100+ Sacramento summer sounds insane.  And for the record, I prefer to carry rather than use a push cart. Easier to get through thick grass, IMO.

#EnjoyTheWalk !  I love the walk.  Good for the body and for the soul.  When I play my dew sweeper rounds at home I'm always walking - only way to keep from running into the mowers.  When I play at the Prairie Club out in Nebraska once a month in season I walk the first 18 and ride the second 18.  I can walk 36 a day, but I'm usually punished for it.  So I hybrid it.  Walk then ride then sleep; walk then ride then sleep.

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

I really enjoy walking and intend to keep walking the golf course as long as I can.  A couple of years ago I purchased a battery powered push cart to help lighten the load. Using this, I’m definitely a bit fresher when done with a round and think this will help this old guy to keep hoofing it longer.  

-BFitz

Putter: Taylormade: Spider Tour

Irons: Callaway Apex 19: 5-P

Wedges:  Taylormade Mill Grind 3,: 48, 54, 60

Hybrids:  Cobra Baffler:  3 & 4

Fairway:  Callaway Epic 3 wood set to 15 degrees

Driver:  Callaway Rogue Sub-Zero, 10.5 degrees

4 hours ago, Ryan Schnetzer said:
The other component of this I feel needs to be addressed is the stigma associated with using a pushcart. I would be interested to hear what others say about this. Some courses and people tend to look down on those that use push carts. I love having a caddy but most courses have done away with caddy programs and can’t afford to start one up. Because of this, I feel that many people who would walk with a push cart don’t because they can’t carry their bag for 18 and don’t want the stigma associated with using a pushcart. 

Hmmm.  As a long time Sun Mountain push cart user I didn’t realize there was a stigma.  The only guff I got about using one was my regular group asking why it took me so long to get one.

I prefer to walk with my push cart during posting season (April 1-Oct. 31 here in Michigan).  Outside that time I have small carry bag (Sunday El Camino) with a half set.

At 72-years old I do make concessions to high temps and humidity but enjoy walking the most.

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X