TESTERS WANTED! ×

Does anyone walk anymore?

I would love to walk when I play - but for me it's time constraints.  I can hit the course near my house after work, play 18 (riding), then go home and still have enough daylight to mow grass, get some work done in the shop, house etc. Just the other day I played 18 in less than 3 hours. Went home mowed the front yard and did some more yard work (we have 4 mainly wooded acres so lots of work to keep it up).

I just started playing after a 15+ year hiatus. Back when I started playing I would walk with the old guys at my course (usually teeing off in the first or second group off), then walk another 18 after. I always shot my best scores that 2nd trip. I always figured it was because I was bit tired and didn't try to over swing, but man I learned a lot walking / talking / playing with that early morning group, and not just about golf.

Driver: :callaway-small: XR Speed 9º Project X HZRDUS T800 Stiff

3W : :ping-small: G 14.5º - Tour 80 stiff

Hybrid: :ping-small: G25 20º - TFC-189H stiff

Irons: :ping-small: 4-UW G30 Green Dot

Wedges: :ping-small: LW G30 Black Dot

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossie II

I also feel like I play better when I walk. I think I just get in more of a groove walking. I like to carry my bag, but I also use a clicgear from time to time, it just depends on how sloping the course is. If the course has lots of hills, I will elect to carry. I love to walk because I get to see more of the intentional design of the course, but I also like to walk if there are people in front of me. I play pretty fast, especially in a cart, so walking gives me the chance to slow down and go at my own pace if I need to, so I'm not waiting 5 minutes behind the ball. 

Driver- Titleist TS2 10.5 Degree

3 wood- Cobra Speedzone tour

Driving Iron- Taylormade P790 2 iron

Irons- Callaway x forged irons

Wedges- Taylormade Milled Grind (50,54,58)

Putter- Scotty Cameron select newport 2

Ball- Bridgestone Tour BXS

• 1 month later...

I walk after work, when it cools down

I have been riding lately because of the heat

I specifically bought my golf bag (PING Hoofer) so I can walk

I do enjoy walking but on the weekends the course gets crowded and I always ride

Driver: Cobra RadSpeed 9.5*

5 wood: PING G425 16.5*

Hybrid: PING G410 22*

Irons: PING G 400 5-UW

Wedges: Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54*/ Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter: PXG Closer 34'

Ball: Wilson Triad

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 10:34 AM, bvmagic said:

In FL there are just so many barriers to walking it really bothers me.  Most courses when I reach out do not let you walk till after a certain point in the afternoon.  On top of that, when they do let me walk, I often get charged the same rate as if I took a cart. 

One course my dad was a member at, decided to ban push carts.  Which at the time,  only him and 1 other member walked with a push cart.  This happened maybe 10 years ago, not sure if they still have that ban but he is no longer a member there.  

Wow, where in Florida?  Both private clubs that I play at are dirt cheap when you walk and there are not restrictions other than the normal restriction that you must maintain pace of play - I've never had an issue with that at either course walking or riding.  The local muni allows walking at any time as well and it is cheaper to walk there too. 

It's just too hot this time of year - I will walk the local par 3 course in the summer but there's no way I'm doing 18 on a regular course in 105 plus heat index weather. 

I just purchased a closeout bag boy 9.0 from Second Swing golf.  Exited to have that for when I start hoofing again in October. 

And @Chisag - you are correct of course, I was over generalizing - there are exceptions either way when it comes to walking or riding - I was thinking far more generally.  Most of us should be prepared to play our best golf either way and not use it as an excuse either way.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 1 month later...

Hey guys looking for suggestions of shoes that all y'all walkers wear that are spiked. In need was doing okay in my DNA until last round when I was feeling it in my toes from the hills and they started to fall apart. Eccos are out as my spikeless killed my feet a few weeks ago.

Hey guys looking for suggestions of shoes that all y'all walkers wear that are spiked. In need was doing okay in my DNA until last round when I was feeling it in my toes from the hills and they started to fall apart. Eccos are out as my spikeless killed my feet a few weeks ago.
I love my Sketchers GoGolf spikeless. Just did 18 this morning and my feet feel great. I've had multiple Footjoy styles and they are all great. Currently own a pair of Lites and SL.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

5 hours ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

I love my Sketchers GoGolf spikeless. Just did 18 this morning and my feet feel great. I've had multiple Footjoy styles and they are all great. Currently own a pair of Lites and SL.

Take Dead Aim

I'm a big guy and have lots of torque in my swing even when swinging softly I have not had good luck with spikeless I seem to slip too much and I feel that in the back and it kills my distance.

I'm a big guy and have lots of torque in my swing even when swinging softly I have not had good luck with spikeless I seem to slip too much and I feel that in the back and it kills my distance.
I'm checking in at 5'11" 245 lbs, 108 swing speed. Not little but not a huge guy either. I've not noticed any slip when I play in spikeless

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

6 hours ago, tommc23 said:

Haven't tried them myself since my feet are on the wide side so I am in New Balance, but Nike seems to have a number of spiked shoes that have a running shoe look to them and are likely to be comfortable for walking. 

https://www.nike.com/w/mens-golf-shoes-23q9wznik1zy7ok

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

25 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

I'm checking in at 5'11" 245 lbs, 108 swing speed. Not little but not a huge guy either. I've not noticed any slip when I play in spikeless

Take Dead Aim

I'm 6'1" 300 with a similar swing speed in my Ecco spikeless I would occasionally get my  back leg slipping. I don't know if it's from all the years of hockey that I slip because it's instincts when shooting but that's my problem with spikeless unless others have way better traction than the Ecco.

I'm 6'1" 300 with a similar swing speed in my Ecco spikeless I would occasionally get my  back leg slipping. I don't know if it's from all the years of hockey that I slip because it's instincts when shooting but that's my problem with spikeless unless others have way better traction than the Ecco.
Ah, could be. Also I've never worn Eccos.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Playing this past weekend walking was must to be able to warm up. It was near freezing to start so the walking really kept me from being too cold.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

On 9/20/2020 at 6:54 PM, Tsmithjr9 said:

Take Dead Aim

I'm just about the same size.  I'll slip in spikeless shoes when it's wet, maybe once a round.  But I have yet to find a pair of spiked shoes that don't give me blisters when I walk, so I put up with it.  I'm thinking about trying the Inesis shoes thanks to the MGS rankings.  

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I'm just about the same size.  I'll slip in spikeless shoes when it's wet, maybe once a round.  But I have yet to find a pair of spiked shoes that don't give me blisters when I walk, so I put up with it.  I'm thinking about trying the Inesis shoes thanks to the MGS rankings.  
I've heard a lot of good things about the Inesis, even outside MGS.

I should also mention here that I have a pair of Adidas Tour360. They are mt most expensive and also most uncomfortable shoes. I get blisters on my ankles everytime I walk 18 in them. There really good shoes so I hate to get rid of them, so I only wear them when I ride.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

1 hour ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

I've heard a lot of good things about the Inesis, even outside MGS.

I should also mention here that I have a pair of Adidas Tour360. They are mt most expensive and also most uncomfortable shoes. I get blisters on my ankles everytime I walk 18 in them. There really good shoes so I hate to get rid of them, so I only wear them when I ride.

Take Dead Aim

I have an older pair of Adidas shoes, and I have the same issue.  I can't bear to part with them, but I can't walk 18 in them either.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Finally a "cool" enough day to walk - we've been well above 100 heat index since mid-June.  Sunday it was only in the mid-80's, relatively dry and quite windy.  First walking round with my bagboy and also my new sketchers - between the wind, closed range, wet and new irons (although that's a lame excuse because they were hardly the main culprit - wild driving and thick rough got me) I didn't play well - but walking always makes it worth playing - I absolutely love to walk when I play - I may have to ride a few more times as we typically don't have the weather we are having right now until mid-October.

Someone recently gave me a Visa gift card for performing a service for them.  I think a second pair of sketchers is in order so that I don't wear these out too quickly.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 2 weeks later...

Walk two rounds every weekend. My club's caddie program is on hiatus, so we've allowed pushcarts and surprisingly, to the dismay of the Northeast golf "purists" at the club, the course has not slid into the Hudson! Seriously, I think that allowing the carts is here to stay and adds to the enjoyment of the game as well as general fitness. I'm 62, 5'11" and a 240 lb. gym rat; being able to walk whenever I want has been great.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I recently purchased a pair of New Balance Striker spiked shoes and they may be the best combination of performance and comfort I've ever had.

Ping G425 irons blue dot Power Spec

Ping G400 Max Driver, Elements Chrome S Shaft

Ping G30 3 Wood

Guerin Rife TwoBar Hybrid Tour Mallet

Ping Glide 3.0 wedges

Snell MTB-X

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2020 at 7:22 PM, tommc23 said:

don't know if it's from all the years of hockey that I slip because it's instincts when shooting

Do you wear support insoles?

Most shoes are designed to slip your own insoles into.

They do not have to be custom orthotics; there are lots of options for $20 - $50; there are some made for runners, some for walkers, some for high/low arches, etc etc etc.

Good insoles can improve almost any sneaker or shoe!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I walk every time I go. I even went a step further and moved to a full carry bag instead of a cart bag on a pull cart.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

I’m going to get myself a stand bag and start walking.

My thought process is that I will hit more accurate shots... that way I don’t have to walk all over the place.  It might prevent me from “going for it” on a few holes... or probably not.  But I need More some exercise in my life.

😂😂😂

21 minutes ago, Shankster said:

My thought process is that I will hit more accurate shots... that way I don’t have to walk all over the place.  It might prevent me from “going for it” on a few holes... or probably not.  But I need More some exercise in my life.

😂😂😂

... While it is your life and your body to do with as you choose, in the words of Demi Moore from a Few Good Men I would strenuously advise you to at least consider using a push cart. You will still get plenty of exercise but much less strain on your back which is better for the last several holes as well as saving you a co-pay from your Ortho visit. 🤪

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I walk 95% of my rounds and I picked up the E-Wheels V2 a month ago and have been using that a lot. Today I went to the range to practice, but a couple of guys I normally play with were there and they were going to play. I had left my cart at home so I decided I would carry. I haven't carried in probably four or five years because of back and shoulder issues. But apparently carrying suits me well because I shot 34 with three birdies. Considering it was 46° in 20 plus mile an hour winds I was pretty happy with that. I don't like picking up and setting down the bag as that is a bit rough on my body, but I did enjoy the round. So maybe I'll actually carry every so often next season.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

19 minutes ago, chisag said:

... While it is your life and your body to do with as you choose, in the words of Demi Moore from a Few Good Men I would strenuously advise you to at least consider using a push cart. You will still get plenty of exercise but much less strain on your back which is better for the last several holes as well as saving you a co-pay from your Ortho visit. 🤪

Haha.  Good call!  I’ll think about it.  I have a funny story about push carts from when I was a cart boy back in the day... I’ll put it in the random thread or something. Haha

2 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Do you wear support insoles?

Most shoes are designed to slip your own insoles into.

They do not have to be custom orthotics; there are lots of options for $20 - $50; there are some made for runners, some for walkers, some for high/low arches, etc etc etc.

Good insoles can improve almost any sneaker or shoe!

Support no the slippage I get is typically my back leg slids out just around impact if I use spikeless shoes.

If your able to do it then do it. It’s a great way to play the game.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

18 hours ago, Shankster said:

Haha.  Good call!  I’ll think about it.  I have a funny story about push carts from when I was a cart boy back in the day... I’ll put it in the random thread or something. Haha

Your back will thank you for it. A looper would know. 

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 2 weeks later...

I walk nearly all of my rounds with a pushcart. Usually I do this when I play as a single and until this year it wasn't a problem but with more crowed courses and everyone riding in their own cart I have found it really difficult to keep from rushing when being the only one in the group when walking,  I've started leaving my cart at home unless I'm playing the local 9 hole course, which I can usually get out on alone. 

On 9/20/2020 at 11:27 AM, tommc23 said:

Late to the party here, chiming in anyway.

I've gone back and forth a couple times in recent years, but I've gone back to spikeless, and back to True Linkswear shoes.  I'm not exactly a small guy, 5'11" to 6' tall, currently 225 lbs.  The True Linkswears don't have all the cushioning you might find in some, but I find them more comfortable.  I've got a pair of Skechers Go Golf spikeless, didn't find them all that great.

I originally switched to Trues around 2012,  at 30 lbs heavier, I'd worried about them not being comfortable enough with the lack of cushioning seen in other shoes.  Turned out to be needless worry, they've been awesome since day one.

As for slipping, I've slipped in softspikes as well.  My take, if I'm slipping in my swing, I'm overswinging.  I know a lot about overswinging, LOL.

For softspike shoes, I have a couple pairs of New Balance.  They're quite good, and comfortable, I'd recommend them.  I only switched away from them because I chose to again move away from spikes.

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft