Does anyone walk anymore?

Our Sponsors

Unless if I'm riding with my dad I'll always put my clubs on the passenger side and walk while the other drives. My back gets too tight from sitting too much and I need to keep moving to keep the muscles loose.

... Right there with ya. When playing with my wife on vacation we alternate driving/walking with her driving the odd # holes and me driving the even # holes. 

• Like 1

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Orange 60s
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 7s
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Tensei Pro Orange 80 hy s-flex
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 110 s-flex 4 iron shaft
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just wondering if there any walkers left. I recently returned to the joys of walking the course. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the idea of leaving the cart behind and playing in a much more rel

Rule breaker...

I’ve started walking this season. I hadn’t since moving to Florida 14 years ago. I was tired at first but now it’s a piece of cake. I honestly forgot how much fun it was to walk. I may have to bac

Posted Images

I'd like to walk and would enjoy the exercise while I'm at the age and in the shape to do it. BUT the local courses end up including the cart in the price and almost makes no sense not to use it. Keeps things quicker so I'm no gone too long from the wife and kids.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M2 D-Type, 9.5 degrees, (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

3/4W -  :cobra-small: King F6 Black 3-4 Wood (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4H -  :callaway-small: Rogue (Stiff flex) (Stock grip) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4-AW -  :callaway-small: Steelhead XR Irons (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grips, 7i with Winn Dri-Tac X Grip) 

SW -  :callaway-small: 56* X-Wedge

60* -  :callaway-small: MD4 Wedge

Putter - Odyssey White Hot RX #7

Bag -  :callaway-small: ORG 14 cart bag

My men's group walks 18 , 3 times a week and the 9 hole group 50/50 walk/ride. Great work out but summer heat is thinning the herd. Front 9 number is lower back nine, ? Fall and winter it is great.

I prefer to walk, but have started riding when playing 18 since my first child entered the picture. 90% of my rounds I'm the first one on the course. Driving keeps my playing time down, which means I'm back sooner and my wife is willing to tolerate more outings  :D

• Like 1

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

Ive rode all year until last Saturday when I broke out my new Clicgear cart. Play better I think until last few holes but that will get better as I build stamina. I was getting lazy in a cart with my beverages and munchies. Have a couple hunting trips coming up I beed to ge in bettet shape for.

• Like 2

DRIVER: Titleist 905R S 10.5

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha XS

Irons- Titleist 716 AP1 S 1/2 over 2 degrees upright

Vokey SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I've been walking and carrying for years but just broke down and bought a push cart. I have a problem with my left hip from an old hockey injury and decided to just make it a bit easier to trek the course.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 1

WITB:

Louisville Smart Persimmon Driver

Louisville Niblick Persimmon 3 & 5 woods

Hogan UIHI 4-iron*

Hogan PTx Pro 5-7*

Hogan Icon 8-PW*

KZG 51 gap wedge

KZG 56 sand wedge

Rife Legend Z Putter

*denotes clubs being tested

Ive rode all year until last Saturday when I broke out my new Clicgear cart. Play better I think until last few holes but that will get better as I build stamina. I was getting lazy in a cart with my beverages and munchies. Have a couple hunting trips coming up I beed to ge in bettet shape for.

After 4 months I can say that walking with a push cart is the way to go...even @ 67.  Much more relaxing and enjoyable -- even had a 3 some in carts ahead of us tell us that we kept up with them the whole day...which we did.  

• Like 2

"There is not such thing as a bad day on the golf course!"

After 4 months I can say that walking with a push cart is the way to go...even @ 67. Much more relaxing and enjoyable -- even had a 3 some in carts ahead of us tell us that we kept up with them the whole day...which we did.

Thank you for mentioning that!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 (Rotex graphite) and Callaway X-Jaws 60 (TT-DG S300)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

I always walk when i play in comps and I alway play better. As soon as I sit it a cart i get really lazy and start playing pretty bad! Me and my mate can play 18 on a Sunday arvo walking and get round in 3 hours easy

Walking all the way for me!

• Like 1

I've played quite a bit in the States and I don't understand why electric trolleys aren't used more widely. 

In Scotland it is unusual for people to use carts. At my home club we have a total of 6 and these are mainly used by visitors and surprisingly the younger members (under 30s). Even the seniors you see out playing i.e. post 70 year olds walk. There is a group of 20 of them that play every day at 10am.

I very rarely use a cart and have an electric trolley for competition days and use a carry bag when I go out after work. 

• Like 3

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

For the most part, I walk four or five rounds per week, probably will ride a time or two per week when the heat/humidity gets cranked up, too old to fight the heat stress.  The only times I've rode was when the knees were bad and leading up to knee surgery but after each of the knee replacements, I was back to walking the course within six weeks of surgery.  On the road, I usually ride unless the course has a caddie program. 

It looks like I will be riding more due to hip, leg, and foot problems.  My orthopedic doc says he doesn't have an easy (surgical) fix and my best bet is to alternate walking and riding the course.  

• Like 1

In the bag:

Driver:  Ping G 400 Max

Fairway: Ping G 400, 7 w

Hybrids: Ping G 25,  4

Irons:  Taylormade P 790, 4 through P

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey SM 7,  54  and 58

Putter:  Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

It looks like I will be riding more due to hip, leg, and foot problems.  My orthopedic doc says he doesn't have an easy (surgical) fix and my best bet is to alternate walking and riding the course.  

I just saw my doc to have my left hip x rayed.  The good news is no hip replacement required however he scheduled an MRI to see what is causing the pain.  It's on the outside of the hip and he suspects a pinched nerve. 

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway  XR16 4- Wood
Callaway Steelhead 3 Hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 5 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Tommy Armour Over N Out 58 Degree Lob
Wilson Harmonized Chipper 32 Degrees
Ping  Sigma G Tyne Putter OR Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

Cart rentals may represent significant revenue to many courses.   There are some courses where its mandated.   I've also noticed that the courses I played years ago, the distance from the green to the next tee was not that much.   Now it seems that on a lot of courses that I play the walk to the next tee can be rather lengthy, especially courses weaving through a community.   If walking was allowed, this could impact the speed of play, which is a whole other problem.

I would kill to walk when I play, but Im a weekend warrior and around here, they force you to use golf carts for "Pace of Play" reasons. I get it, but it does suck, the only way to walk is to do a twilight round. 

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

I also walk. but now I need to use the pushcart as I cannot carry.

The best thing I love about walking is that no matter where my ball is,I can always walk up to it,as opposed to a cart,you're restricted where you can travel with it.

• Like 2

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

If given the choice I always walk. Unfortunately in the world of tourist golf walking is seldom an option. Pace of play is huge for me because I'm so damn impatient by nature. I was raised to be kind and respectful so I tend to internalize my feelings thus my impatience burns quietly within usually resulting in poor play. On average I'm two strokes better per side when I walk.

• Like 1

I walk virtually every time.  Even when I ride, it's just to throw the bag on the cart and let someone else drive, so I can walk the course.  When I was young, I raced motorcycles, and dad, who also raced in his day, said you have to walk the track first to get a feel.  Golf's the same way.  I get a feel for yardages and conditions better.  Can pace almost one yard exactly, within a couple percent of perfect (lost art in the age of rangefinders).  This is in part from walking so much over the years, pacing out yardages from the last sprinkler head, rather than zipping along with a motor whizzing in the background, bouncing down the cart path, jangling my nerves, then pulling out a $300 apparatus to check yardage.  It also helps the health because since I took the game back up and almost exclusively walk, I've lost 20 lbs and the BP has gone down about 15 points, both systolic and diastolic.  When I was young, I liked to ride.  Now that I'm in my 50s, I love to walk.

• Like 2

I would kill to walk when I play, but Im a weekend warrior and around here, they force you to use golf carts for "Pace of Play" reasons. I get it, but it does suck, the only way to walk is to do a twilight round. 

Can't speak to every situation, and probably on average play's quicker with carts, but there are some foursomes who are positively snails when in their carts, zig-zagging, running over their own balls, getting in each other's way, jacking around, sitting around the greens after they've finished a hole tallying up scores and negotiating bets and presses and the like.  Sometimes carts slow the pace of play down.

• Like 3

Can't speak to every situation, and probably on average play's quicker with carts, but there are some foursomes who are positively snails when in their carts, zig-zagging, running over their own balls, getting in each other's way, jacking around, sitting around the greens after they've finished a hole tallying up scores and negotiating bets and presses and the like. Sometimes carts slow the pace of play down.

Yes, completely agree and thank you for posting that.
  • Like 1

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 (Rotex graphite) and Callaway X-Jaws 60 (TT-DG S300)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

I agree with the comments about the speed of play. Next time you are out hitting the round ball take note of the demographics of the “majority” of players. There are always exceptions to the rule but I would argue the overwhelming majority could not and would not enjoy the game of golf if riding were not an option. There will come a time when I can no longer hump up and down hills for four hours and when that time comes (which it will for most) I'll happily ride as long as I can continue to play.

I've always enjoyed athletics but not until I hit 40 did I take up the game of golf. I realized at that time the high impact activities I was accustomed to were quickly becoming no longer an option. I prefer to walk for now but please let's not condemn those who ride as a necessity or even a choice. They too keep the game we all love alive. For those of you who ride but have the option to walk I encourage you to take the small steps towards a more active life style. You will be healthier, you will feel better and you will add to the years you will be able to enjoy the game.

• Like 2