verojoe

Does anyone walk anymore?

I agree with the comments about the speed of play. Next time you are out hitting the round ball take note of the demographics of the “majority” of players. There are always exceptions to the rule but I would argue the overwhelming majority could not and would not enjoy the game of golf if riding were not an option. There will come a time when I can no longer hump up and down hills for four hours and when that time comes (which it will for most) I'll happily ride as long as I can continue to play.

I've always enjoyed athletics but not until I hit 40 did I take up the game of golf. I realized at that time the high impact activities I was accustomed to were quickly becoming no longer an option. I prefer to walk for now but please let's not condemn those who ride as a necessity or even a choice. They too keep the game we all love alive. For those of you who ride but have the option to walk I encourage you to take the small steps towards a more active life style. You will be healthier, you will feel better and you will add to the years you will be able to enjoy the game.

... I don't think anyone here is condemning anyone that rides in a cart. Especially for health reasons. I do see a ton of younger golfers riding in carts and driving a few feet off the tee box path into the grass as well as taking their carts almost on the green and wonder why they aren't walking. I am 65 and almost always walk, and of course senior golfers can reap the health benefits of walking and I see many, many seniors doing just that. But again, I don't think any of us look at someone in a cart and think "they should be walking" or look down on them for doing so. 

• Like 1

Sometimes it's just too damn hot to walk, especially here and I'd imagine it's even worse in the southern states.

Walking season in Houston is mid-October to late April. I'd love to have a push cart for those months, especially since most courses are easy to walk around here (pretty flat in nature). Only problem is that I play most of my golf on weekdays and with the shortened daylight during those months, it's hard to find time to play and justify the cost of a clicgear or other MGS recommended push cart...that and 90% of the courses I play have the cart fee included in the price. If I joined a private club, I would definitely invest in a push cart since most of those places nickle and dime you to death with additional fees once you join. 

Oh I did see a junior tournament in Galveston over the July 4th holiday and just about every kid had a push cart. It was good to see them playing, walking, reducing future back problems by not carrying their bag and enjoying the heat! 

• Like 2

Sometimes it's just too damn hot to walk, especially here and I'd imagine it's even worse in the southern states.

It is bad in MN too. I walked 18 yesterday in 102* heat with a heat index of 113*. Just for the record, it was too hot to walk.
  • Like 1

It is bad in MN too. I walked 18 yesterday in 102* heat with a heat index of 113*. Just for the record, it was too hot to walk.

Yeah, that would be terrible to walk in!! No shame in riding. I'd take being judged and called lazy over heat stroke any day of the week.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

In theory I would like to walk every time I play. But the reality is most of the courses in my area are not very walkable, and in the summer it's just way too hot to walk. I will go out of my way and find a shorter course just to walk but it's not as challenging. Oh well, at least I get to play

• Like 1

I used to walk and push my cart all the time. About 1/2 the guys I play with walk. (old guys at that) The past year I got out of the habit for some reason. I also used to claim I played better when I walked. But honestly I don't. No better or worse. Same.

always walk unless playing with a group who all want buggies.
Part of the enjoyment for me is the walk and I feel like I play better too, more time to just stay loose (more psychologically than physically) walking between your shots and more time to let go of the last shot and think about your next.
Getting to the ball faster seems to trigger a psychology to just get the whole game out of the way faster.

• Like 2

Goal when I move is to buy a membership at a walkable course. I could Wall this one, but I'd get ran over by the college kids, and there are a few holes that are pretty far apart.

• Like 1

Walking my first 18 ever today. I've walked holes before but never 18

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Have fun and I'm sure you'll feel more focused on your game when you aren't worried about driving to your partners ball all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have fun and I'm sure you'll feel more focused on your game when you aren't worried about driving to your partners ball all the time.

I played solo and walked in 3.5 hours. The course was drenched and boy did that make walking suck. I carried and after 9 my back started to tighten up. If/when I do this again it'll be a double strap carry or a push cart. I felt good walking and it was cart path only so I would have walked a lot either way today. Once I stopped trying to force things I played pretty well with a bunch of pars and bogeys, which is good for me.

• Like 4

I played solo and walked in 3.5 hours. The course was drenched and boy did that make walking suck. I carried and after 9 my back started to tighten up. If/when I do this again it'll be a double strap carry or a push cart. I felt good walking and it was cart path only so I would have walked a lot either way today. Once I stopped trying to force things I played pretty well with a bunch of pars and bogeys, which is good for me.

Good for you! I would absolutely recommend a push cart. It takes stain off the back and you burn the same amount of calories. It is just as good health wise but won't cause back problems.

I haven't been walking in about 2 years. I used to walk all the time with my cart. But now it's cost me from playing in the Club Championship this year. Just last week our course went cart paths only until further notice. (and the FW's look fantastic!) So, I walked 18. And boy did my game suffer. I shot even through 11 holes but then started getting tired as the back 9 progressed. I'm actually in decent shape at 63.5 yrs. but just not used to walking - pushing a cart in 98* heat I suppose.

Sadly, I decided to WD from the championship rather than suffer through 3 rounds playing $hitty. 

Good for you! I would absolutely recommend a push cart. It takes stain off the back and you burn the same amount of calories. It is just as good health wise but won't cause back problems.

My problem is I have no where to store one and with living in the mountains most of my local courses would be a horrible walk.

• Like 1

My problem is I have no where to store one and with living in the mountains most of my local courses would be a horrible walk.

I don't have room in my trunk for a push cart, so I always rent one for $1 on my league nights. They are rickety old pull carts, but better than carrying - I've carried twice this summer and it sucked. It felt like I had bricks in the bag by the end.

• Like 2

I walked and carried all the time up until this year. Always used a double strap bag as that is a huge help in taking the strain off your shoulders. This year though I decided to get a push cart. Pain in my hip from an old hockey injury got to the point were it just makes sense to push a cart.

I actually bought the Sun Mountain Reflex cksurfdude listed above. Folds down really compact for storage and at the closeout price of $99 it's a great deal.

• Like 1