Does anyone walk anymore?

Our Sponsors

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just wondering if there any walkers left. I recently returned to the joys of walking the course. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the idea of leaving the cart behind and playing in a much more rel

Rule breaker...

I’ve started walking this season. I hadn’t since moving to Florida 14 years ago. I was tired at first but now it’s a piece of cake. I honestly forgot how much fun it was to walk. I may have to bac

Posted Images

I don't have room in my trunk for a push cart, so I always rent one for $1 on my league nights. They are rickety old pull carts, but better than carrying - I've carried twice this summer and it sucked. It felt like I had bricks in the bag by the end.

Non of the local courses have that as an option.

I walked and carried all the time up until this year. Always used a double strap bag as that is a huge help in taking the strain off your shoulders. This year though I decided to get a push cart. Pain in my hip from an old hockey injury got to the point were it just makes sense to push a cart.

I actually bought the Sun Mountain Reflex cksurfdude listed above. Folds down really compact for storage and at the closeout price of $99 it's a great deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd like to get one since it was a nice walk. Maybe if I join a club as a member I can store one there, but until then gonna have to either ride or get dual straps

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I love walking whenever I can. Seem to have a better sense of distance and even find my ball better when I am walking. It probably stems from my high school days... I had to walk all the time so I got used to it. It's also way easier on the old wallet.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I am a member of a course in Indiana and the majority of the members walk.  It's really nice walking and makes me feel a little better when I'm done that I got significant exercise.  Always important to remember to take fluids and eat part way through.  Pros eat and snack through their rounds to keep their minds sharp.  I started packing PB and J sandwiches for my round to eat part way through.  I feel like it helps me to stay more focused.  

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5

I'm a walker! My whole Sunday morning group is. I'd say 70% of my golf league is as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

I really enjoyed walking the course--forty or so years ago.

I WISH that I still enjoyed walking a course at my age.

Waaaaaaaay too many knee surgeries and now my frigging back & hip needing attention.  I walk my dog and do elliptical at the gym however when it comes to golf, my membership includes riding so I hop my big arse in the cart. 

• Like 2

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway  XR16 4- Wood
Callaway Steelhead 3 Hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 5 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Tommy Armour Over N Out 58 Degree Lob
Wilson Harmonized Chipper 32 Degrees
Ping  Sigma G Tyne Putter OR Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

• 2 weeks later...

Love to walk.  I play better.  Gives me more time to cool off after a bad shot and more time to enjoy the good ones.  But 2 cranky knees and a arthritic back have limited me to only walking 9 holes on a flat course.  Looking for a "Sunday" bag so I can carry 6-7 clubs like when i was a kid.  Makes you play more creatively and is a lot of fun.

• Like 1

Driver:  Mizuno St-180 regular

FW:  Callaway XR 15 degree regular

Hybrids: Cobra  Amp 17.5 , Adams Tech 19 & 23 degree regular

Irons: Taylormade M2 Stiff steel 5-GW

SW:  Cleveland RTX 56 degree

Putter:  Odyssey DXF6000 blade

Being a caddie I can tell you it does amplify the experience of a round. I believe it feeds the possibility of a personal best situation. I also believe that frustrating days are handled better during a walking round as opposed to riding in a cart.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

I've recently returned to walking.  I used to enjoy walking and carrying my bag, but I got away from it over the last couple of summers.  My home club is pretty hilly, with long walks from a number of greens to the next tee, and I just wore myself out.  The thought of pushing a trolley up some of the steeper hills was too daunting for me to want to do that.  A month or so back I bought a motorized trolley, and its made walking a pleasure again.  

• Like 3

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I've recently returned to walking.  I used to enjoy walking and carrying my bag, but I got away from it over the last couple of summers.  My home club is pretty hilly, with long walks from a number of greens to the next tee, and I just wore myself out.  The thought of pushing a trolley up some of the steeper hills was too daunting for me to want to do that.  A month or so back I bought a motorized trolley, and its made walking a pleasure again.  

... Awesome Dave. I just can't imagine playing without a motorized cart. My wife is a fitness fanatic and was not interested in a motorized cart as she preferred the exercise gained by pushing her Sun Mountain 3 wheeler. But I gave her my MottoCaddy S1 when she gave me the remote controlled Navigator for Christmas last year and although she was skeptical, after a few rounds using it she admitted she was not as tired on the last few holes that are uphill and still gets the benefits of walking. 

• Like 1

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

• 1 year later...

Everyone is walking now with the covid pandemic, but I am noticing a trend towards walking at some higher end resorts, like Bandon Dunes and Sand Valley. There are also a number of private clubs around Chicago that have very good caddie programs and require walking unless you are disabled.

• Like 2

:callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero, 9.5*, VA Nemesys 75, Golfpride MCC Align Midsize

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max Fairway Wood, 15*, Stock shaft, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:titelist-small: Titleist U500 21*, Hzrdus Smoke Stiff, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:benhogan-small: 2020 Ben Hogan Icon Irons 8-PW, Project X LZ, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:benhogan-small: 2020 Ben Hogan PTxPro Irons 4-7, Project X LZ, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:titelist-small: Vokey SM8 50*, 54*, 60*, Stock vokey shaft, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:cameron-small: Scotty Cameron California Mid-Mallet

I walk whenever possible, with the help of my Clicgear.  That said, if I've never been to a course I'll ask the folks in the pro shop how walkable it is.  I'm not concerned with hills, but if it's a quarter mile to the next tee box I hate being the walker in a group with riders, and forcing those riders to wait on me to get my happy @ss to the tee..

I will say there is something to be said for playing better when walking versus riding, putting aside fatigue as a factor.  Dave Stockton is adamant that when golfers take a cart and pull up next to a green they lose the opportunity to appreciate the slopes and contours of a green that a walker observes.

• Like 1

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :titelist-small: TS3 3 & 4H, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

I've always enjoyed walking. I don't care for strapping my bag to my back and hoofing it around the course, but with a push cart I'd prefer to walk.

• Like 2

What's in My Bag?

Driver: Cobra F6

Fairway: Cobra F6 3/4

Hybrids: Wilson Staff D100ES (4 & 5)

Irons: Wilson Staff C200 (6i to GW)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX (52, 56, and 60°)

Putter: Happy Putter Blade

1 hour ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I walk whenever possible, with the help of my Clicgear.  That said, if I've never been to a course I'll ask the folks in the pro shop how walkable it is.  I'm not concerned with hills, but if it's a quarter mile to the next tee box I hate being the walker in a group with riders, and forcing those riders to wait on me to get my happy @ss to the tee..

... I have a remote controlled cart and the first time I played Tierra Rejada in LA I told the guy in the clubhouse I was going to walk. He said "you don't wanna do that" but I said I really did. He said he would make me a deal and I should play the front 9 in a cart and if I would like to walk the back he will give me a free round and I was free to walk. So I took him up on the offer. LOL, I could have never walked that course! Up and down as well as around a couple of mountains with breath taking views but some holes straight up the mountain with long distance to tee boxes, virtually impossible to walk. 

• Like 8

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

6 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I have a remote controlled cart and the first time I played Tierra Rejada in LA I told the guy in the clubhouse I was goin g to walk. He said I don't wanna do that but I said I really did. He said he would make me a deal and I should play the front 9 in a cart and if I would like to walk the back he will give me a free round and I was free to walk. So I took him up on the offer. LOL, I could have never walked that course! Up and down as well as around a couple of mountains with breath taking views but some holes straight up the mountain with long distance to tee boxes, virtually impossible to walk. 

I really will never understand why a course architect would design a course that a person in reasonable good health is physically incapable of walking.... that just makes no sense to me.

• Like 5

StrokerAce
:tour-edge: EXS 220
:cobra-small:  King F7 3w 
:callaway-small:  SuperHybrid 20
:titelist-small:  818H1 23
--------------------------
:srixon-small: Z785 KBS CTaper lite
:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 54/58 
:bettinardi-small:  SS38 Armlock 
--------------------------
:918457628_PrecisionPro: nx7 pro rangefinder
:1590477705_SunMountain:  C130 cart bag
Franklin, MA; Right Handed; 10
"the club face sends it, the path bends it..."

I walk 95% of the time with a push cart, unless it's my first time on the course and I am unfamiliar with the layout.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

WITB:

Driver:   :cobra-small: F9 driver 9* stiff shaft 

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* regular shaft

Hybrids:  :nike-small: Vapor Flex  3 hybrid regular shaft 

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Ben Hogan BHB01 blade

Ball:  :Snell: Black

Bag: 2015 Ogio Chamber Cart Bag & 2018 MyGolfSpy Stand Bag