Does anyone walk anymore?

Our Sponsors

1 minute ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I really will never understand why a course architect would design a course that a person in reasonable good health is physically incapable of walking.... that just makes no sense to me.

... I hear ya and would tend to agree with you with the exception of unique land properties. I have played several mountain courses in NC, Phoenix and LA that offer spectacular views. Sometimes the tee box is literally on top of a peak and it is a 100 yd straight up the mountain from the fairway to get to the tee. But once up there, ya take several extra minutes just to appreciate the view. Some others may chime in but Teirra Rejada is a memorable experience and from someone that prefers to walk 100% of the time, I really enjoyed playing there, even with a cart. 

• Like 3

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Orange 60s
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 7s
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Tensei Pro Orange 80 hy s-flex
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 110 s-flex 4 iron shaft
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just wondering if there any walkers left. I recently returned to the joys of walking the course. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the idea of leaving the cart behind and playing in a much more rel

Rule breaker...

I’ve started walking this season. I hadn’t since moving to Florida 14 years ago. I was tired at first but now it’s a piece of cake. I honestly forgot how much fun it was to walk. I may have to bac

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I have a remote controlled cart and the first time I played Tierra Rejada in LA I told the guy in the clubhouse I was goin g to walk. He said I don't wanna do that but I said I really did. He said he would make me a deal and I should play the front 9 in a cart and if I would like to walk the back he will give me a free round and I was free to walk. So I took him up on the offer. LOL, I could have never walked that course! Up and down as well as around a couple of mountains with breath taking views but some holes straight up the mountain with long distance to tee boxes, virtually impossible to walk. 

Challenge accepted 😎

• Like 1

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:cobra-small: F9 TL, Atmos TS Blue
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:bridgestone-small: BXS

Romans 10:9

I try to walk whenever possible.  Usually with my push cart.  I feel like I'm able to enjoy the scenery and I tend to play better when walking.

• Like 2

WITB

Driver: Titleist TS2 10.5º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17º w/ Even Flow

Titleist 816 H1 21º & 25º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Irons (6-PW): Srixon 765 w/ Project X LZ

Wedges: 50º Ping Glide, 54º & 60º PXG 0311

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

Alot of courses in my area include the cart in the rate, and its almost socially unacceptable to walk. This is in the Phoenix area and there are alot of desert courses with some elevations and alot of neighborhood courses that can have some considerable distance between holes. Not to mention the heat. 

I do prefer to walk though. I feel like you get the lay of the land walking up to the green from your approach shot. Sometimes from the cart you are missing that analysis from 30-10 yards out where you can really see the general slope of the green and pinpoint the low spots. Makes it quicker to get a second or third angle on your putt, whereas with the cart it is easy to run up to your ball and just look at the putt from behind the ball.   

• Like 1
  • Driver: :ping-small: G410 Plus 9*, Tensei Orange 60X
  • Hybrids::adams-small:  Super XTD 17* Hybrid Fubuki AX:callaway-small:,  Apex 20* Hybrid, AD-DI 85S
  • Irons: :srixon-small: U85 4I AD DI 95S, Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120s
  • Wedges: :ping-small:: Glide 3.0 52, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter: :EVNROLL:  ER3 @ 33"
  • RH in Phoenix, AZ

I try to walk always and got very annoyed when courses do not allow it.

there is nothing more natural than walking on a flat bed of grass... I sometimes would walk bare feet just to enjoy the feeling.

but aside of it I feel a different rhythm with my game.

• Like 1

:ping-small: G400 9.0 Alta CB 55g stiff

:ping-small: G400 3W Alta CB 65g stiff

:Sub70: Fairway Pro 5W Ust Mamiya V2 black stiff

:Sub70: 839X 4h Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: 639cb 5-PW Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: Forged Wedge  50.7 Kbs TGI80

:callaway-small: MD4 56.8, 60.12

PXG Bat Attack

:Snell: MTB-X

Started walking regularly last year and I love it. I play quicker, which confuses me at first, and I play better! Better yet,it saves about $15-20 per round so I have more in the “Golf” portion of the budget!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero (8.5* HZRDUS Smoke Shaft)

3-wood:  :adams-small:  Tight Lies 2 (15*) 

5-Wood:  :adams-small: Tight Lies 2 (19*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 5-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR or a :srixon-small: Z-Star

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

9 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I really will never understand why a course architect would design a course that a person in reasonable good health is physically incapable of walking.... that just makes no sense to me.

I always walk as well, either push cart or carry bag. One of my favourite courses in our area is Grey Silo (which has hosted the LPGA in the past). However the entire course is in a valley with a kilometre walk (downhill at first and then uphill at the end). And that's to 1 and 18 which are beside each other. The other 16 holes are another half kilometre walk. I almost wish they would drive you to the first tee if you wanted to walk, but it's a stupid design and just miserable to walk. Too bad.

I also totally agree about playing better when walking. Totally true.

• Like 1

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I absolutely love walking vs riding in a cart. However, there are some courses that I play in which its not feasible to walk due to shear amount of traffic on the course and/or a few courses that were designed to attract a lot of homes but the course/homes are spaced out ridiculous lengths. Near impossible to walk because you will caught by groups in carts regardless if you're under par having one of your best rounds ever-- so I use cart for those courses. I have a couple of what I classify historic/traditional layout courses that are very walkable. They are shorter in length and have the narrow fairways, a lot of trees/mountain-nice views that I prefer to walk and practice on. 

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, aerospace_ray said:

I absolutely love walking vs riding in a cart. However, there are some courses that I play in which its not feasible to walk due to shear amount of traffic on the course and/or a few courses that were designed to attract a lot of homes but the course/homes are spaced out ridiculous lengths. Near impossible to walk because you will caught by groups in carts regardless if you're under par having one of your best rounds ever-- so I use cart for those courses. I have a couple of what I classify historic/traditional layout courses that are very walkable. They are shorter in length and have the narrow fairways, a lot of trees/mountain-nice views that I prefer to walk and practice on. 

Exactly right, the treks required from green to the next tee, or the path from the tee to the fairway isn't direct (target golf), it takes so long.   They built these courses with the motorized carts in mind. 

• Like 3

Lifelong walker here. Still carry my bag too. Helps keep me in shape!

• Like 3

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 106mph

Driver: Ping i25, S-flex PWR 65 shaft
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3i: FOURTEEN FH-1000, DG X100
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, zrumble said:

Lifelong walker here. Still carry my bag too. Helps keep me in shape!

Be careful lugging the bag, I lugged from age 17 to age 48, then had to have 2 hip replacements, nobody knows why I needed them, just did.   Had lower back issues too. 

I loved to carry, had all of the clubs with me, could walk in straight path, etc.  Now I push a cart. I'm fine with that.

Best wishes ZR.

Edited by SlowNLow
  • Like 3

Walk most every time out at my regular haunts.  Only exception is the occasional twilight speed round when going off at 630 for 18 with 2 hrs of daylight.

image.png.2f22a142d7f2d45baa90f1e9f6b55bb0.png

• Like 7

:cobra-small: F9 9* Atmos Tour Spec Black 6s 45"

:nickent-small:  17* and 20* Hybrids Aldila NVS

:macgregor-small:  VIP V-foil 1025c 4-P True Temper 120g ProPel Lite 2* flat, 1* strong

:cleveland-small:  CG10 52* (bent 50*) and 56 (bent 55*)

:mizuno-small:   MpTseries 60* Raw Haze

:ping-small:   Faith Wack-E 32"

:taylormade-small:TP5 ball

:titelist-small: Stand bag

13 hours ago, SlowNLow said:

Exactly right, the treks required from green to the next tee, or the path from the tee to the fairway isn't direct (target golf), it takes so long.   They built these courses with the motorized carts in mind. 

I don't mind riding on occasion, but I prefer to walk if available.  Fortunately we have several great walkable muni's in DFW.  You can't get a walking Golf Now rate here for any other courses though.  I checked several course websites and 90% have a rate including cart and only about 10% show the green free rate and the cart rate extra.

I made a  phone calls to 10 courses a few months ago(pre-Covid19) to courses that I would like to try that post rate including cart.  Of those, 75% will let you walk (25% didn't allow walking at all).  Additionally, 4 out of 5 that let you walk still charge the same rate whether you walk or ride and don't have any reduced walker rates.  

Hopefully as more of us are walking during these restricted times, courses will make walking options more available.

• Like 1

:honma: 💣Driver: Honma TR20 440 8.5° w/ Vizard FP-7X SHAFT - REVIEW POSTED 💣

:adams-small:3 Wood:  Adams TightLies Titanium 3+  - Shaft Bassara E55 x5ct

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 2.  16.5°-  Stock Shaft- Stiff

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

:odyssey-small:Putter: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth- Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip

:taylormade-small:Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Lifestyle Carry bag- Houndstooth

I walked 9 holes last night. 

• Like 2

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

7 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

I walked 9 holes last night. 

The best way to spend a weekday evening. IMO

• Like 2

:callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero, 9.5*, VA Nemesys 75, Golfpride MCC Align Midsize

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max Fairway Wood, 15*, Stock shaft, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:titelist-small: Titleist U500 21*, Hzrdus Smoke Stiff, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:benhogan-small: 2020 Ben Hogan Icon Irons 8-PW, Project X LZ, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:benhogan-small: 2020 Ben Hogan PTxPro Irons 4-7, Project X LZ, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:titelist-small: Vokey SM8 50*, 54*, 60*, Stock vokey shaft, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:cameron-small: Scotty Cameron California Mid-Mallet

2 minutes ago, boat22 said:

The best way to spend a weekday evening. IMO

Yep got done right at dark. 18 was kinda tough as it was straight into the sun and I could not see the ball other than that no biggie. 

• Like 2

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

I've walked the last two months and put another 18 holes under my walking shoes today. Plus knocked out 60 pushups when I returned home. 

• Like 3

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway  XR16 4- Wood
Callaway Steelhead 3 Hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 5 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Tommy Armour Over N Out 58 Degree Lob
Wilson Harmonized Chipper 32 Degrees
Ping  Sigma G Tyne Putter OR Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide