Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Does anyone walk anymore?

3 hours ago, UofAWildcatfan said:

I love to walk but have to use the pushcart as well. Walking gives me time to decompress and forget the last shot before reaching my golf ball. 

Completely agree, I'd add the beer lasts a little longer as walking and drinking takes longer than driving and drinking, LOL.. 

Go Devils. 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

I walk 9 holes carrying my bag but ride if playing 18 on my bike, used to play 36 holes Saturday and Sunday easy peasy when you’re fit and healthy lol. I’m not bothered by the idiots looking down on me for riding, I’ll happily tell them to “F” off… no skin off my nose..

I got the big tyre bike 26inch that’s comfortable to ride but too heavy for an old man, but I love it so not sure if I’ll get the 20inch or not???

0355C14D-0B83-4A80-9EB7-163C42C69E2F.jpeg

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

It may not be everywhere. I’ve definitely seen it at my club and I’ve even seen it in men’s college golf as well with only some of the guys using them. In the women’s game it seems to be the norm. I don’t really see why the guys don’t use it. I would think it would be less stress on their body and would help with hem play better. I have a clic gear cart and try to use it as much as possible. 

Mavrik driver

titliest 917 3 wood

titliest 3 hybrid

titliest T200 5-PW

SM 8 wedges: 45, 50, 55, 60

newport 2 putter 

Started walking more during the shutdown in 2020. Helps me get more exercise and keeps me focused during the round. Now I walk almost every round. 

:callaway-small:Epic Max LS 9* ACCRA TZ6

:callaway-small:Epic Speed 3w ACCRA FX

:cobra-small:3H ACCRA FX

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 4-pw Aerotech 

:vokey-small:50,55,60 

:cameron-small: Phantom X 11.5 putter

:titelist-small: prov1

1 hour ago, JFish350 said:

Completely agree, I'd add the beer lasts a little longer as walking and drinking takes longer than driving and drinking, LOL.. 

Go Devils. 

Lol, unfortunately, my son graduated from ASU 😉 Oh well we can't all be perfect. All Az schools are amazing!

Just now, UofAWildcatfan said:

Lol, unfortunately, my son graduated from ASU 😉 Oh well we can't all be perfect. All Az schools are amazing!

and you are absolutely, the beer tastes better and does last longer!

Bear Down,

Marty

I prefer to walk when I am playing with my league or wih a friend that maintains a good pace as I feel it helps me to maintain a good rythm. If its a casual weekend round with some guys, and I have a later tee time, I'd prefer to prepare for a more casual pace and just take my time aas to not make the folks in front of me feel rushed since I am a fast player naturally, enjoy the scenery and conversation along with a cigar until it is my turn.

Just purchased an electric walking cart kit so, I excited to walk this year.

Driver: PXG_Logo.png.07030e120a51c10eb65f7ad3be845c3e.png2022 0211 RH 10.5 Driver ProjectX Cypher 40 5.5
             Grips:  jumboMaxlogo.png.ae9019f7923acd6fd8175b922fe3cb54.pngJMX Ultralite
3 Wood:  PXG_Logo.png.07030e120a51c10eb65f7ad3be845c3e.png.717b4a2d90d83434eec8f195776f94e9.png2022 0211 RH 3 Wood EvenFlow Riptide CB 50g 5.5
Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.07030e120a51c10eb65f7ad3be845c3e.png.717b4a2d90d83434eec8f195776f94e9.png2022 0211 RH 19 Hybrid MCA Tensei AV Raw Blue Hybrid 75 - R
Irons: PXG_Logo.png.07030e120a51c10eb65f7ad3be845c3e.png.717b4a2d90d83434eec8f195776f94e9.png0211-V3-CHR-Irons 4-LW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 60 A- Parallel
           Grips:  GolfPride.pngCP2 Pro Jumbo
Backups:  PXG_Logo.png.07030e120a51c10eb65f7ad3be845c3e.png.717b4a2d90d83434eec8f195776f94e9.png0311XF Irons 4-LW w/ KBS TGI 80
                Grips:  jumboMax logo.pngJMX Ultralite

Putter:  TM Logo.pngSpider Tour Black 2020 35" Putter Golf Club w/ Super Stroke
Ball:  default_bridgestone-small.png B RX
Gloves:  PXG_Logo.png.07030e120a51c10eb65f7ad3be845c3e.png.717b4a2d90d83434eec8f195776f94e9.pngMens Player's Glove
              RedRooster.pngRain Rooster
Shoes: adidaslogo.PNG Codechaos 22 Boa
Training Aids:  lagshotlogo.pngTriple Threat Combo Swing Training Aids (Driver,7i, Wedge)
                         axius core logo.pngCore Fitness Program
Puchcart:   clicgear.PNG 3.5+ w/ conversion for:

•   alphardLogo.pngClub Booster V2
  •  alphardLogo.png.82fee6eeb1561a22aa6f54d6343a4841.png TFS
  •   alphardLogo.png.82fee6eeb1561a22aa6f54d6343a4841.pngCB Sidekick

My regular weekly game is always walking. I'm 71 and my playing partners are that age or more. When I play resort courses carts are usually mandatory and it seems they are designed to prevent walking . I can see that for pace of play reasons but my buddies and I can and often do play in 3-3 1/2 hrs. We are always in position or far ahead of the group behind us. Strange to me to see so many young guys taking carts on our relatively flat, very walkable course.

Anxiety is contagious, please keep yours to yourself ... 

I started walking during Covid.  Previously I had an old pull cart I would use once in awhile but it hurt my back.  I mostly rode in golf cart.  I purchased a Caddytek Swivel wheel cart and love it.  I now walk 90% of the time.  Great exercise program for me. I really enjoy walking as you get a chance to see the green as you are walking to the green, etc.  plus big savings as cost is $20 - $25 per round.  It is great for my heart.  My blood pressure has improved and I have reduced my blood pressure meds.  All good!

Zgolfen

Had my knee replaced 6 weeks ago and I am already walking, I am also 65. But, I let and MGI Zip Navigator carry my clubs. 

https://us.mgigolf.com/products/zip-navigator-electric-golf-caddy

This is a great cart. Battery lasts 2 rounds, has gyroscopes in the wheel controls so it will go straight on a steep side hill, and the remote lasts and lasts and lasts. The thing will tip over if it hits a deep sprinkler head hole or you don't pay attention and get to close to a sand trap and then you get to feel stupid. Most of the time I am the only person walking in my group and often in my men's club. But what the heck I love the walk, and the solitude in all that green green grass helps me shut off that constant internal dialog and stay focused on my game. 

Driver :taylormade-small: Sim Max2

Hybrids :ping-small: G430 2, 3, 4

Irons :srixon-small: ZX4 6-PW

Wedges :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 50, 54, 58

Putter :odyssey-small: 2Ball Ten ArmLock

Golf cart MGI Zip Navigator

:Arccos:

1 hour ago, Zman56 said:

I started walking during Covid.  Previously I had an old pull cart I would use once in awhile but it hurt my back.  I mostly rode in golf cart.  I purchased a Caddytek Swivel wheel cart and love it.  I now walk 90% of the time.  Great exercise program for me. I really enjoy walking as you get a chance to see the green as you are walking to the green, etc.  plus big savings as cost is $20 - $25 per round.  It is great for my heart.  My blood pressure has improved and I have reduced my blood pressure meds.  All good!

... Great stuff. And you sleep better after a day in the sun walking the course. 👍

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

4 hours ago, UofAWildcatfan said:

... It is almost shocking how many people I meet here in Phoenix that went to ASU or UA and decided to stay. "Graduated from ASU in 1990-2020 and I never left" is very common refrain.  

I have had several knee surgeries and only walk when cart path only.  Walking adds about 5 strokes to my round.

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

1 hour ago, Mackey said:

I have had several knee surgeries and only walk when cart path only.  Walking adds about 5 strokes to my round.

I’ve had 5 major surgeries on my guts and that doubled my cap to 26 but now playing a easier course so down to 22 lol walk means I play about 14…

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

I still walk. It helps get me warmed up faster. It also allows me to have all my clubs with me everywhere on the course even at the side of the green. I also get a better survey of the course by walking and I can walk off the distance from a yardage marker as I walk to my ball if I am not using a GPS.

Callaway 816 Alpha DBD driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, Alpha 815 3 hybrid, RAZR X Forged cavity back irons 3-AW, 54-14 MD4 wedge, Maltby MS+ wide grind 60 degree lob wedge, 37 inch Rife Swithback Two putter. All clubs overlength - 47 inch driver, 45 inch 3wood, 44 inch 5 wood, 41 inch 3 hybrid, 39.5 inch 5 iron with other irons in line with that. All clubs graphite shafted and X-flex except flex of putter.

Always walked (when the course allowed). When younger, before shoulders went very bad, in the Marine Corps always carried. Now push carts. Must admit I just ordered a set of E-Wheels (V2). This helps my back and fatigue. At 74 need all the help I can get. 

Every chance I get. Makes for a more enjoyable round IMO

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Love to walk. Carried forever but went to a push cart about 10 years ago. Find I focus more on the next shot when walking plus feel better after. There are a few courses around here that try to discourage walking by designing 300/400 yards between green and tee. Walk those anyway, on occasion. 

17 hours ago, Bang60 said:

I walk 9 holes carrying my bag but ride if playing 18 on my bike, used to play 36 holes Saturday and Sunday easy peasy when you’re fit and healthy lol. I’m not bothered by the idiots looking down on me for riding, I’ll happily tell them to “F” off… no skin off my nose..

I got the big tyre bike 26inch that’s comfortable to ride but too heavy for an old man, but I love it so not sure if I’ll get the 20inch or not???

0355C14D-0B83-4A80-9EB7-163C42C69E2F.jpeg

You actually get to ride a bike like this, interesting.  I saw for the first time last year someone on what appeared to be a motor driven cycle type thing and didn't get a full look at it but his acceleration seemed smooth and even so I assumed it was motor driven.

So on your set up you ride while bag is on your back?  I'm a little surprised a course would allow it, but I don't know anything about the practice.  Is this the wave of the future sort of thing?  Changing gears uphill?  Interesting stuff for sure.

Edited by MacTourney

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

As a former caddy, I always preferred walking to riding but carts were mandatory on weekends before I:00pm, so I finally purchased my first cart bag in 2019, a Ping Pioneer (based on MGS reviews). Then came covid and we were allowed to walk, so I purchased a Clicgear push cart based on an MGS review.

I've now moved to a walking-friendly course. Sometimes I use a Ping carry bag but prefer using the pushcart (even though I don't love pushing). The great thing about the Ping Pioneer bag is the cooler compartment works great as a sand bottle holder for non-replaceable divots. 

I'll ride when required, but last year that was maybe 20 rounds out of 175.

The walking exercise has been great for my health and I now almost always hit an elliptical machine for 5-6 miles when I don't play. My beer gut has almost disappeared. A pay a $150 trail fee for the year, compared to the yearly cart plan, which is $1800.

I may eventually get the Alphard rear wheels for the Clicgear. Seems like a bit of an extra hassle, but may be worth it not to feel all hunched over pushing.

When I hit the course in the evening, I use my carry bag.

No hate to people who ride in carts that are respectful to the course, especially those that let me sit while they are teeing off!

Titleist TSi2 with HZRDUS SMOKE RDX shaft, Titleist 917 16.5* FW, Mavrik Pro 20* & 23* HBs, Cobra King Tour (2020) 5-P with KBS $-Taper 120g shafts, King MIM 50*, Titleist SM8 54* and 58*, Odyssey #7 O-Works

16 hours ago, drrlramsey said:

I prefer to walk when I am playing with my league or wih a friend that maintains a good pace as I feel it helps me to maintain a good rythm. If its a casual weekend round with some guys, and I have a later tee time, I'd prefer to prepare for a more casual pace and just take my time aas to not make the folks in front of me feel rushed since I am a fast player naturally, enjoy the scenery and conversation along with a cigar until it is my turn.

Just purchased an electric walking cart kit so, I excited to walk this year.

Another Portlander, Nice. Only course in our area I will not walk is Chehalem Glenn. 

Where do you normally play? 

Which electric cart did purchase? 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

I’m 81 yrs old and also walk, especially when we have cart path only because of extremely wet fairways.  I find it easier to carry in lieu of pulling a cart.  The secret is a very light wt bag.  Mine is 3.5 lbs.  The other benefit of carrying is the ability to catch a ride on the back of a cart to go up a steep hill or a long trek to the next tee.

18A751BA-9D76-4A69-8E0F-398EE94B7054.jpeg

Even at age 71, I generally walk. The exception would be 90+ temps and high humidity. I generally feel walking is the best aspect of my game. On those days where I play terrible, at least I have accomplished something by getting in 5 miles of steps (not to mention moving the bags weight as well.)

As I read through this thread I note some interesting things:

• People have different definitions of walking and cart.   There is the group that say they walk which in their mind means they carry their clubs.   There is those that walk and use a cart (pull, push, electric) to carry their bag.  Those that view a car as the one that you sit in/on and drive.  
  • There seems to be a lot of negative opinions about people that ride in a cart.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

7 minutes ago, Adjustor said:

Even at age 71, I generally walk. The exception would be 90+ temps and high humidity. I generally feel walking is the best aspect of my game. On those days where I play terrible, at least I have accomplished something by getting in 5 miles of steps (not to mention moving the bags weight as well.)

... This reminds me of an overweight guy I was paired up with that said "That remote electric cart looks great. If I were in better shape I would get one." To which I replied "I mean this in a most positive way but if you got one and started walking, you would  be in better shape". 

10 minutes ago, chisag said:

... This reminds me of an overweight guy I was paired up with that said "That remote electric cart looks great. If I were in better shape I would get one." To which I replied "I mean this in a most positive way but if you got one and started walking, you would  be in better shape". 

Reminds me of a time one of our  members in our group commented to me in a condescending way: "I don't golf for the exercise."

To which I replied: "Me either, but it (walking) is an added benefit."

20 minutes ago, cnosil said:

There seems to be a lot of negative opinions about people that ride in a cart.

... With good reason. Hard to understand why young guys that are in good shape would ride in a cart, park them 3 feet off the cart path destroying the grass to save 2 steps as well as driving them almost on the fringe. And I am not even talking about social players drinking and blaring their music, but really good players. I just very rarely see drunk walkers blaring their music to be heard a fairway over. And to be fair I see older lazy folk too that do the same (without beer/loud music) as if they are allergic to walking anymore than they have to. So a negative opinion is well earned.

... That said, there are so many that actually need a cart for physical reasons. Mountain courses or those with abnormally long walks from green to tees and of course excessive heat. Once the temp gets into triple digits I have learned walking in bright sunshine can be dangerous, even under a reflective umbrella so as much as I love walking, I ride all summer. There is one other category and that is the respectful golfer that is aware their cart can cause damage to the course if operated improperly, understand a 90* rule doesn't mean buy more beer when the temps get above 90* but just prefer to ride for whatever reason so no negative opinions for them either.