Does anyone walk anymore?

Our Sponsors

While we're on the subject of walking, which I do a lot and even more so during the pandemic, I want to remind folks to consider taking a re-seed bottle along with you if the course offers them.  Most do on electric carts these days and I try to use them regularly.  Speaking with a course manager this summer about fairway divot repair, he told me that getting sand/soil/seed back quickly does help quite a bit.

About a month or so ago, I began opting to walk Mesa Del Sol even though the price includes a cart (I just prefer walking).  Those carts do have seed bottles.  Having just removed a healthy patch of turf (not my norm), I realized... no bottle.  Now I grab one and take it with me.  

• Like 3

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just wondering if there any walkers left. I recently returned to the joys of walking the course. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the idea of leaving the cart behind and playing in a much more rel

I am a “rider”. I have torn ligaments in my left ankle which prohibits me walking downhill. I have had 4 inguinal hernia ops (USN and VA) which have deposited a bunch of scar tissue in my abdomen an

I broke my back sking in my late 20's. They wanted to fuse my lower spine or I could try to live with it for as long as I can. I decided against the surgery. I can't carry a bag for a full round. I li

Posted Images

5 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

While we're on the subject of walking, which I do a lot and even more so during the pandemic, I want to remind folks to consider taking a re-seed bottle along with you if the course offers them.  Most do on electric carts these days and I try to use them regularly.  Speaking with a course manager this summer about fairway divot repair, he told me that getting sand/soil/seed back quickly does help quite a bit.

About a month or so ago, I began opting to walk Mesa Del Sol even though the price includes a cart (I just prefer walking).  Those carts do have seed bottles.  Having just removed a healthy patch of turf (not my norm), I realized... no bottle.  Now I grab one and take it with me.  

Most courses have those big seed bottles. I was going to make my own but haven't got to it yet. I was going to use one of those Tupperware spaghetti containers and mount a clip on it. Should be the perfect size for walking and it already has a hole reducer for serving size, that should work well for the sand and seed distribution.

I just like making things golf related. I know there are some out there that you can purchase. There was a thread on this last year sometime looking for something more portable.

• Like 1

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:cleveland-small: Wedges, CBX 56* & 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Most courses have those big seed bottles. I was going to make my own but haven't got to it yet. I was going to use one of those Tupperware spaghetti containers and mount a clip on it. Should be the perfect size for walking and it already has a hole reducer for serving size, that should work well for the sand and seed distribution.

I just like making things golf related. I know there are some out there that you can purchase. There was a thread on this last year sometime looking for something more portable.

That's a great idea and would probably market pretty well. The ones on the carts I grab are really WAY too big - one roughly half or 1/3 that size would work.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

36 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

That's a great idea and would probably market pretty well. The ones on the carts I grab are really WAY too big - one roughly half or 1/3 that size would work.  

Someone sells one. I have to find the original post.

• Like 1

Kaddie Klip ($16.75) is one of them and Clicgear Sand Bottle ($21.99) is the other. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Good idea. 

• Like 1

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 9degree. Hosel set to -1degree/Nuetral. Aftermarket 10gram front weight and 6.5 gram sliding weight set to fade. Mitsubishi  Tensei AV Blue Stiff 67 “Tipped” half inch

Diablo 5 Wood Nuetral Stock shaft

:taylormade-small: M3 3 Hybrid Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Weight set to fade

:mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-GW KBS C Taper Stiff 1/2 inch longer 

:callaway-small: Mac Daddy 4 54, 58

:odyssey-small: Works Tank Cruiser 7              40 Grams in head and counterbalanced 30 grams inside Super Stroke Fatso Grip

:srixon-small: Z-Star

Just started walking this last Fall and it has been really nice. Helps you see more of the course, stay in the game, and quality talking time with those I’m playing with. Normally you get about 30 seconds of talking before you get to the next hitting spot and it’s always disjointed conversation. I’m currently gearing up to try and walk all through the sweltering Las Vegas summers. Not sure if I’ll be able to handle that though…

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10.5º (Project X Evenflow Riptide 60 Stiff)

3 Wood: Titleist TS2 15º (Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff)

Hybrid 1: Titleist 818 H1 19º (Tensei HYB blue 80 Stiff)

Hybrid 2: Titleist TS2 23º (Tensei AV Blue 70 Stiff)

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-PW (AMT Black Regular Flex)

Wedges: Vokey SM7 48 10F, SM7 54 10S, SM8 56 08M

Putter: PXG Blackjack (Plumbers Neck) and Kirkland Signature KS1

3 minutes ago, PeterHenric said:

Just started walking this last Fall and it has been really nice. Helps you see more of the course, stay in the game, and quality talking time with those I’m playing with. Normally you get about 30 seconds of talking before you get to the next hitting spot and it’s always disjointed conversation. I’m currently gearing up to try and walk all through the sweltering Las Vegas summers. Not sure if I’ll be able to handle that though…

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Welcome to the walking club! 

• Like 2

:callaway-small: FT Optiforce 460 10.5*

:callaway-small: FT Optiforce 3W, 5W

:callaway-small: X2 Hot 5-PW

:callaway-small: MD4 52/56/60

:odyssey-small: White Hot RX #7

:taylormade-small: TP5

• 4 weeks later...

Just walked Costa Mesa CC today! Great weather and relatively flat course. 

• Like 1

Driver : :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max D 9* Project X HZRDUS RDX Black 70g 6.0 Stiff

Woods : :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood 14* Mitsubish Tensei Blue 73g Regular

Hybrids: :callaway-small: XR Project X Stiff (3&4)

Irons : :callaway-small: Mavrik True Temper Elevate 95 Stiff Steel (5-PW,AW)

Wedges : File:Kirkland Signature logo.svg - Wikimedia Commons 52, 56, 60 

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : Datrek lightweight cart bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5x 

Rangefinder : TecTecTec DXLS

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 15.1

• 2 weeks later...

I was a confirmed walker for decades. I really enjoyed it. However, father time finally caught up with me. I played football in my youth and my knees are not what they used to be. I started riding last summer during the hot weather and discovered I actually play and score better using a cart. I may try to go back to walking and carrying this Spring because I still feel guilty taking a cart. Our course offers pull (or push) trolleys but we have a lot of hills and valleys so the trolleys can be hard to manage. Also, we don't have access to caddies as we did years ago. To those of you who walk and carry, keep doing it as long as you can. I still believe that is how the game was meant to be played. 

• Like 2

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough