Does anyone walk anymore?

verojoe

On 5/9/2017 at 2:03 PM, verojoe said:

Just wondering if there any walkers left. I recently returned to the joys of walking the course. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the idea of leaving the cart behind and playing in a much more relaxed state of mind. Also, it seems to me that I play better when walking. Anyone else enjoy putting one foot in front of the other when playing?

I walk at least four 18 holes rounds a week. I used to walk/play everyday  but the golf course in my neighborhood closed due to poor management & no owner support. Like yourself I find walking is a more enjoyable way to play golf. 

Another walker here... I've even gone so far as to join these guys.

https://thewalkinggolfer.com/

• Like 1

I recently joined a private where 90% of the membership walks.  That was one of the most compelling reasons to join.   I’ve always enjoyed walking more than riding.   Being fortunate enough to live in the Philadelphia PA area where there are many older courses that were designed to be walked originally gives me a lot of walkable courses.  

• Like 1

Just picked up a nitron and walking my first round tomorrow!

Driver: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi2 9.0* w/ Tensei blue stiff shaft // 3 Wood: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi3 15* Tensei white stiff shaft

Hybrid: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e85cafcb95032f919dfafeb5fd18ac1e.jpg GAPR Hi 3h

Irons: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg T300 4-PW + 48* & 53*w/ KBS tour stiff

Wedge: default_cleveland-small.jpg.5931429dde47ec5093bb94bc9d38f8b5.jpg CBX2 58*10

Putter: KS1

Ball: Srixon Z-star // Bag: default_ping-small.jpg.2da16be6ff3360b3177f4439c6c6288b.jpg DLX

I started back walking during the very beginning of the covid scare and have been ever since. I love it and the lbs are coming back off.  Down 12 since back on my feet and not on my arse (cart seat). 

I have three of my friends who have started walking since I burned the trail in 2020. We have a testing forum for the MotoCaddy electric trolley presently active with testing.  

One more thing, we have an 82 year old golfer in great shape who says he is thinking seriously about pulling out his older model electric cart .  Sooooooooo get off the arse and get on the course.  Being healthy feels good!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Callaway Mavrik Max 6 hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 7 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey 
 ODYSSEY ARM-LOCK 2-BALL TEN 

There are few things in life that I enjoy as much as throwing a few clubs in the Sunday bag to walk and carry on a beautiful day. With the full bag I have to use a push cart, however carrying adds a certain je ne sais quo to the quality of the experience in my opinion.

• Like 1

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

• 2 weeks later...

Walked 18 in Southwest Florida yesterday - if you watched the Valspar you know that it was in the high 80's and humid - love my push cart - didn't do the umbrella because the course that I played has plenty of shade.  I'm probably 50/50 walk/ride - I like to walk bout because I do both and have a step measuring device you'd be surprised at how little difference there is between the two options - walking is around 16,000 steps, riding 10K.  

• Like 5

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

• 1 month later...

100% I walk ~3 rounds per week 

~80% with Caddytek push cart 

~20% carry half set (D, 4W, 5i, 7i, 9i, 58, Putter) in Jones player bag 

reasons I walk:

1) exercise & enjoy the course layout & features 

2) saves money 

3) better preshot routine & scoring 

4) riding cart feels frenetic & disorienting by comparison ... especially when paired with 15+ handicap (no offense intended, just how it feels to me)

5) doesn’t save time, I play early in morning, often walking 18 in 2hrs 10min

Edited by 6ft3bloke
Added rationale

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero driver and 4W

Callaway Apex Pro 19 4-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4, 52*, 58*
Callaway PM Grind 64*

Scotty Cameron 2018 Newport 2.5 

I like to walk when I can. Usually about every third round, and it's on one course I know well that is usually not very crowded. I used to walk a lot more (when I was younger and didn't mind carrying the bag so much). I definitely like using my own push cart (or trolley for the Motocaddy fans out there).

Either way, walking gives me more time to decompress between shots, especially after a bad one. I find that helps keep me from carrying over the negative emotion of the bad shot into the next one, and allows me more time to analyze and prepare for the next shot.

• Like 1

Driver:  PXG 211 Project X Evenflow CB, 50g 5.5

Fariway:  PXG 211, 3-Wood Project X Evenflow CB, 60g 5.5

Hybrid:   PXG 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Up until about two months ago, most courses in the area mandated single riders only in carts unless they were from the same family.  That led to a cart shortage and backups on the first tee because people didn't have a cart yet at their tee time.  

It seems like more people are walking now than before COVID. Maybe they got used to walking instead of trying for the cart lottery.  I've definitely noticed more umbrellas attached to push carts to protect people from the sun.

Still the majority I see are riding.

The worst words in golf - "Cart path only"

:cobra-small: King F9 Speedback Hzrdus Smoke Yellow

Wishon EQ1-NX 4 Wood & 7 Wood Single Length

Wishon EQ1-NX 5 Hybrid Single Length

Wishon EQ1-NX SW - 6 iron Single Length

Wishon Micro-Groove HM Lob Wedge

Kirkland KS1 Putter

Srixon Z-Star XV Balls

:Arccos:

I walked 9 the other day for the first time this year.  Low and behold I have my best score of 35 (-1) so far this year.  I need to continue walking more.  I always feel like I am more focused and tend to play better.

• Like 2

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Smoke Black RDX

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

The walking has ended……..until next November.  In Central FL the 90*+ temps with high humidity makes walking as a septuagenarian pretty much obsolete.

Hope to return to walking in November.

• Like 3

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*) & 5-6W(20*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft 

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

20 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

The walking has ended……..until next November.  In Central FL the 90*+ temps with high humidity makes walking as a septuagenarian pretty much obsolete.

Hope to return to walking in November.

Yes, us old coots have to be careful.  We are back to high 90's and low 100's, but it's a dry heat!!   😂

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Yes, us old coots have to be careful.  We are back to high 90's and low 100's, but it's a dry heat!!   😂

... 118* yesterday so riding in a cart was off the table and of course walking would be insane. I hope to start walking sooner than October but this is my first summer in this heat and not exactly sure what to expect. 🤔

• Like 3

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... 118* yesterday so riding in a cart was off the table and of course walking would be insane. I hope to start walking sooner than October but this is my first summer in this heat and not exactly sure what to expect. 🤔

Yeah, that's a little too hot for me.  We will likely only see 108-112º, but not until late July or August.  

You will have HOT... all summer.  My BIL lives in Surprise.   If you play, it should be in the first group out in the morning.  I recommend the Frogg Toggs Chilliy Pad cooling towel, if you can keep it wet!  We just got our ice water coolers back on the course a week ago after COVID.  We didn't have them all last summer!!

I have attended meetings in Phoenix and Tucson during July, but I was much younger then... only in my 50's and early 60's.  We always played golf with other attendees... many very nice courses at very reasonable prices; e.g.,  $50 for TPC Scottsdale, probably a lot higher now but still a good value.

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...

I walk 90% of the time. If i'm playing alone i will always walk. Only time i'm in a cart is if im playing with people who arent big golfers.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 10.5* Oban Kiyoshi Gold tipped 1" 44.5" NDMC Mid

4w: :callaway-small: Epic flash Oban Kiyoshi Gold tipped 2" 42.5" NDMC Mid

3-PW: :mizuno-small:  MP-18, 3i FLYhi MMC, 4-6i MMC, 7-PW MB, KBS C-taper Lite X-stiff NDMC Mid

Wedges: :titelist-small:  SM7 49*F, 54*D, 59*M KBS C-taper Lite X-stiff NDMC Mid

Putter:  Lajosi Sensor Breakthrough Golf Tour Stability Shaft 34" SuperStroke GTR 1.0

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

I am just getting into walking.  Bought a cheap push cart from Dick's and have a couple rounds under my belt.  I have found that I enjoy the round more and seem to play better.  If I continue to enjoy it, I can see a Moto Caddy in the future.  

• Like 1

Arccos Tracking

Bushnell Tour V4

Driver: 0811X+ Proto 10.5 Flat standard setting Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 6.0

Fairway: 0341X Proto 3W Big+ Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 70-S | 5W 0341X Proto Big+ Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 70-S

Irons: 0311P GEN3 IRONS 2 flat Project X LZ 120G S 5-GW

Hybrid: 0317X 19 Proto Small+ Hzrdus Smoke Black 80-S

Weges: 54 and 58 Forged Wedges Project X LZ 

Putter: Battle Ready Mustang 33" Double Bend

Ball: Pro V1X