TESTERS WANTED! ×

Does anyone walk anymore?

During league and tournaments I take a cart, however I prefer to walk.  Walked 11 twilight holes last night and 13 twilight holes last Friday.  Something about walking, being outdoors, nature, and creating a rhythm of the golf game always makes me play better.

Coach Kip
Driver TaylorMade SIM 2
3 Wood TaylorMade SIM 2
Hybrid 3,4 TaylorMade SIM 2
Irons Golfsmith Forged Cavity Back (I am in the market for new irons)
Wedges 56, 60 Cleveland Raw
Putter Odyssey Two Ball
Ball Vice Pro Drip Red and Blue or Green and Yellow

Ill walk but most of my friends refuse to play unless we have carts. BUT i wont carry my bag. My stand bag broke down a while ago so i only use my cart bag, way to clumsy and annoying to carry it. On a nice afternoon especially fall season i prefer to walk with my push cart

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse. 

I walk as much as I can, course dependant around here, but Sun Mountain cancelling shipping to Canada has made getting accessories for the speed cart quite difficult now.

Might have to go into a clic gear on the next one

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black

Titleist TSi2 18 Degree Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX Hexcel

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball 10 

Nike VR Tour Staff Bag

Titleist Pro V1x and Vice Pro Plus

9 hours ago, kcchiefs said:

Wish I could more but guys I play with ride ? Two new hips and a few Tylenol, I can beat them to my hall but after 12 it gets tougher 

One replaced hip and the other coming due, one bad knee, one repaired Achilles .... but still a dedicated walker.

And btw from the looks of your profile pic your hips (and everything else) appear to be in pretty good shape 🤪🤣🤣

20 minutes ago, TylorJudd said:

I walk as much as I can, course dependant around here, but Sun Mountain cancelling shipping to Canada has made getting accessories for the speed cart quite difficult now.

Might have to go into a clic gear on the next one

Also check out Bag Boy .. they make quality push carts at reasonable prices.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Just now, cksurfdude said:

One replaced hip and the other coming due, one bad knee, one repaired Achilles .... but still a dedicated walker.

And btw from the looks of your profile pic your hips (and everything else) appear to be in pretty good shape 🤪🤣🤣

Just now, cksurfdude said:

Surf dude you know it brother !

I know many golfers who prefer walking over riding in a cart for these very reasons. It's not only about the physical benefits but also the mental aspect of the game. So, you're definitely not alone in your appreciation for putting one foot in front of the other while playing. Happy walking and golfing!

• 1 month later...

Here in California (central coast) we are very lucky with the weather but it does get to 100 degrees plus in the summer and we finally got some rain last year. We have a standing Sunday skins group at my local course tee off between 7:30am-8am and I'd say no matter the weather we have 90% or more of the guys walk (usually 6-20 golfers show up). Not the easiest walk either plenty of little hills.

WITB

Sim2 Driver, Stealth+ 3wood, Stealth+ 5 wood, Mizuno Pro 221 4-PW, Titleist SM9 50 degree, Titleist SM9 55 degree, taylormade MG3 60 degree, Taylormade Spider Tour X Putter

I used to walk all the time when I lived in Western New York.  Now I live in South Florida and we're basically forced to ride.  Our only course is likely considered a destination resort course.  Because of some of the distances from green to tee on the front, if you are playing 18 holes, you must take a cart.  Until recently, if you purchased an annual membership you were allowed to walk the back nine prior to 8:30 AM (so not to impact those early risers making the turn).  Since we don't have a full fledged driving range having the option to walk nine holes as a practice session was a nice alternative and perk for members.

When this year's memberships were due, we were informed that if we wished to walk the back, we'd have to pay an additional $500 for the privilege.   When we pushed back and asked why, the main argument from course management and owner was that early walkers didn't spend any money at the course.   Wait a minute?  Granted, not too many golfers are drinking at 8 am in the morning (noticed I said not too many), the bar isn't even open at that time of day and they already spent $2200 for the membership.   By walking the back, they are not costing you very much either as they are not interrupting the number of golfers you can cram onto the course.  As some of us pushed back, we looked for alternatives that would reward members who spent money at the course (via cart fees, etc.) to get a discount for the few times they wanted to walk.  Each option was quickly rejected.  Then, the true motivation became clearer.  The owner and his wife like to play the back early in the morning uninterrupted.  There was a member or two who didn't get the "uninterrupted" memo, so they instituted the additional fee to get rid of those members and to clear the course for the owner.    It's good to be the king!

It looks like for the foreseeable future, I'll be taking a cart.

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

I would love to walk.  I have one buddy that will walk but moved to another city. My home course would be brutal to walk as it's in the hill country.  Just walking from cart path to tees or greens I can hit 6k steps and 15 flights of stairs (on the watch).  

Some of the courses in towards Austin are much more walking friendly but you will be one of the only ones walking. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I always prefer to walk but my friends prefer to ride and in the summer it’s just too damn hot to walk, lol. But been a long time member of the push cart mafia. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

I alway walk, In the PNW SW WA and OR we dont get too cold, just rain. Thats what they made the umbrella for.

I have a Clicgear and love it. About three months ago I put the Alphard V2 on it and now. I really love this new little toy, makes walking so much easier. Not that it was hard!

I would highly recommend an electric trolly, so much fun!

I Play in SW WA and in the PDX area

I like to walk, I have a Clicgear with all the accoutrements and I am considering getting a V2.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2023 at 8:59 AM, cksurfdude said:

...I would go with Clicgear, I bought a 3.5 12years ago and havent had one issue with it

Also check out Bag Boy .. they make quality push carts at reasonable prices.

I

I like to walk, I have a Clicgear with all the accoutrements and I am considering getting a V2.

I bought a Clicgear 3.5 about 12 years ago and never had any issue with it

But about 4 months ago, I put the Alphard V2 on it with the front wheels swivel.

The best thing ever, never realized how much my shoulders did all the work especially walking uphill.

Let me know if you are in the market, I can send you $50 off 

• 2 weeks later...

I walk my home course unless it is tournament play. I used to carry my bag, but after getting a pushcart (Sun Mountain Speed Cart), it would be tough to go back to carrying.

Riding in the cart is less tiring, but I like the time between shots to mentally regroup and start thinking about the challenge ahead. 

Driver:  Callaway Mavrik 10.5->9.5, Paderson KinetiXX Launch R

Wood:  Callaway Mavrik 3, Paderson KinetiXX Launch R 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 4H, Graphite Design Tour AD R

Irons:    Miura CB301, 5-gw, Aerotech Steelfiber I95 R

Wedge: Vokey SM8 54 and 58, 12 bounce, D grind, Shimada tour black

Putter:  Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

From November to may I always walk my home course and a select few others around town. There are a couple that have nearly a half mile walk between the front and back nine, I do not walk those out of consideration for the other golfers. I simply cannot get there fast enough to not cause a stack up behind us. My bag rides along in front of me on a MGI Zip Navigator.  

Driver :taylormade-small: Sim Max2

Hybrids :ping-small: G430 2, 3, 4

Irons :srixon-small: ZX4 6-PW

Wedges :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 50, 54, 58

Putter :odyssey-small: 2Ball Ten ArmLock

Golf cart MGI Zip Navigator

:Arccos: