verojoe

Does anyone walk anymore?

My golfing buddy has a cart so only if we are not playing together do i walk with a push cart.

Do you find a difference with the thin air?

I did when I first moved to Denver a few years ago but once you get acclimated to the air, it becomes a non-issue.  

After the State Championships are over at my course on Wednesday, I'll be putting on the umbrella on my push cart.  97* today!!

• Like 1

I am pretty impressed that there are so many people that still walk courses when they play, and the fact that it seems the majority of the courses allow you to walk or give you a cheaper rate.

Do any of you notice a drastic difference in the quality of the courses that you walk compared the the courses that require a cart? Maybe this is unique to my neck of the woods, but it seems that the public courses that allow you to walk or give you a break in the rate for walking around me are the older courses that have become a little rough around the edges. You know, the courses that have 1 bunker for an entire 18 holes since grass has overtaken the rest of them, or the ones that look like a converted pasture with only have two cuts of grass - rough/fairway (which I just consider all fairway so I can say I hit a perfect 14/14 FIRS for my round) and green. And even some of those courses don't provide that much of a break for walking - the cart is either built into the price already or it is maybe $5 cheaper to walk. Most of the nicer, well maintained courses with some semblance of creativity and design in my area don't allow you to walk. And I live in Southern Michigan, so we don't have rolling hills and crazy elevation changes or anything like that going on, so it's no like the courses wouldn't be walkable.

Curious to see if you guys find that to be true in other states as well, or if I am just crazy.

All that being said, I like to consider myself a hybrid walker on the courses I play since most require a cart. From time to time I make my playing partner drive the cart up to the green and I will walk from my second shot up to the green before jumping in the cart to get to the next hole. Especially after hitting a bad shot- I just seem to be able to clear the bad shots out a little better walking to the next shot instead of racing there in the cart.

I am pretty impressed that there are so many people that still walk courses when they play, and the fact that it seems the majority of the courses allow you to walk or give you a cheaper rate.

Do any of you notice a drastic difference in the quality of the courses that you walk compared the the courses that require a cart? Maybe this is unique to my neck of the woods, but it seems that the public courses that allow you to walk or give you a break in the rate for walking around me are the older courses that have become a little rough around the edges. You know, the courses that have 1 bunker for an entire 18 holes since grass has overtaken the rest of them, or the ones that look like a converted pasture with only have two cuts of grass - rough/fairway (which I just consider all fairway so I can say I hit a perfect 14/14 FIRS for my round) and green. And even some of those courses don't provide that much of a break for walking - the cart is either built into the price already or it is maybe $5 cheaper to walk. Most of the nicer, well maintained courses with some semblance of creativity and design in my area don't allow you to walk. And I live in Southern Michigan, so we don't have rolling hills and crazy elevation changes or anything like that going on, so it's no like the courses wouldn't be walkable.

Curious to see if you guys find that to be true in other states as well, or if I am just crazy.

All that being said, I like to consider myself a hybrid walker on the courses I play since most require a cart. From time to time I make my playing partner drive the cart up to the green and I will walk from my second shot up to the green before jumping in the cart to get to the next hole. Especially after hitting a bad shot- I just seem to be able to clear the bad shots out a little better walking to the next shot instead of racing there in the cart.

There are no courses in my area that require a cart.  Most courses are very walkable; a couple are tough walking but many do it.  Price of carts are typically $15/seat.  A cart comes with my membership and my wife and I ride on the weekend, but I walk during the week.

I don't much but I'm in the market for a push cart so it'll force me to walk more

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I don't much but I'm in the market for a push cart so it'll force me to walk more

Or playing more with me and Jake. Lol

Most courses I play (aside from the really high end ones, where most have complimentary valet), carts are extra. I rarely ride so couldn't be sure but probably 15-20 for a round or so

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ha, the place I volunteer at .. and so play most often .. used to be called "The Cow Pasture" - it literally was! New guy took over several years ago and put a lot of effort into making it nicer, tho it still has that 'natural' look ;-) a few rough patches, and mostly those two cuts you'd mentioned. But it's fun.

Anyway, I always walk there and other courses I go. Exception would be if playing 18 with the wife and she ran a few miles that morning and wants to ride that day, or at a club where it's required - but that's infrequent.

The only time I even consider riding is if there are no restrictions on the carts, following paths in carts totally removes any feel for the design of the course and it's character in my opinion.

• Like 1

I always walk unless its a ridiculously long and hilly course. Better feel of what your doing.

• Like 2

The only time I take a cart...

1) if it's insanely hot outside

2) if the course is too hilly to walk

3) if I'm in a hurry and need to play fast

Generally I get out and play about 5 holes every Saturday morning super early (6 AM) for a bit of practice and I always walk.  The course is quiet and I'm out before the grounds keeping crews hit the course.  It gives me time to relax, practice several different shots and get my mind off everything else.

• Like 3

Yes walking is great! It's exercise and typically a third cheaper per round. I bought a clic gear cart and it's so simple now. The challenge is convincing your friends to buy a cart as well....those lazy a's.

• Like 1

Interesting day today at the course. We normally have a lot of walkers of all ages as the course isn't that long and there are only a few hills which I would consider a climb. I've only walked the course and find it a good walk.

All that being said it was a nice day and the weather started to get hot for here and absolutely everyone took a cart and avoided having to walk. Even ppl finishing 9 were coming in asking for a cart. For reference it was 24C so 76F.

Does anyone else find weather plays a big part in whether they take a cart or not? Or what is too hot for walking?

Interesting day today at the course. We normally have a lot of walkers of all ages as the course isn't that long and there are only a few hills which I would consider a climb. I've only walked the course and find it a good walk.

All that being said it was a nice day and the weather started to get hot for here and absolutely everyone took a cart and avoided having to walk. Even ppl finishing 9 were coming in asking for a cart. For reference it was 24C so 76F.

Does anyone else find weather plays a big part in whether they take a cart or not? Or what is too hot for walking?

I walked my course yesterday and even though it was 90 degrees, humidity was low and we some breeze so I was never uncomfortable.

But once the humidity kicks in and it's blazing hot, I'll probably either play early am or just break down and use a cart.

The only courses around here that require a cart area the ones that weave through a housing development. Although some of the nicer courses encourage riding, no break for walking. Something like $50 to walk, $55 to ride.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

The only time I take a cart...

1) if it's insanely hot outside

2) if the course is too hilly to walk

3) if I'm in a hurry and need to play fast

... I have a remote cart and follow two of your guidelines. Walking without pushing or pulling is the best way to play and most of us can't afford a full time caddy. Keeps me loose, involved with the course, the next shot and gives me more time with nature. Nothing quite like a screeching hawk overhead as you walk down a fairway. 

• Like 1

Used to mostly walk, at least 80% of the time. Loved it, played better and the exercise on the hilly courses where I played was great.

Back issues, hip issues, torn achilles put an end to that. Back and hip have since greatly improved but the present home course is not walker friendly. I've since adjusted and can tolerate riding.

Nearly effortless routine of 27 or 36 holes has won me over. 😉