Does anyone walk anymore?

Walk nearly 100% of the time (unless a course doesn't allow it, or like some courses through neighborhoods, the green to tee distance is huge). Posted 83 rounds last year and 86 (so far!) this year and have been in a cart less than 10 times. I find it allows me to 'think about my life, think about my choices....' and keep my head in the game. I also use the time walking to the ball to assess what I did right/wrong, and start thinking about what the next shot will be. I use a push cart (Bag Bog Quad XL) and plan on using it for the foreseeable future. The ~4 mile walk every round does a body good!

JP

I’m 78 and have never used a cart. Walking is good exercise and gives you a feel for the nature around you because you’re not speeding down the fairway. You have time to look as you walk and, for me, it is very relaxing. The course I play has deer and wild turkeys galore, geese, an occasional fox and every now and then an eagle. I also find a lot of balls from the day before as I am usually the first player off the tee each morning.

I'm 72 and Kathy is 69. Fortunately we are both in good health. We play and walk, a couple times a week, our home course The Hills at Portal right on the BC/WA border south of Vancouver. The course is aptly named with most holes requiring shots over valleys, or to elevated greens. So needless to say we need to wander up and down the hills pushing or pulling our carts. What a workout a round of golf on this course is. But you know, it feels great. Ya we are tired at the end of a round but what a great combination of play and exercise. We do take a cart when playing other courses that demand it, but I do think I play better when I walk rather than ride so we choose to walk if that is an option. I expect as I get older or my health changes I will likely need the cart if I want to keep playing, but for now walking is my preferred mode of chasing the silly white ball around the park.

Would prefer to walk, but osteoarthritis in my right hip made me a cart guy.

:titleist-small: TSR2 driver 10

:cobra-small:Cobra ltd fairways 3 and 7

:cobra-small:Cobra forged tec irons 5-P

:callaway-small:Callaway wedges 54 and 58

:taylormade-small:TaylorMade del monte 7 face balanced putter

I am in Florida, and not too many courses are designed walkable.  When I retired last December, I joined the Ocala Golf Club, our local muni.  It was built in 1931, but despite some climbs, it’s very walkable.  I got a Kam Kaddie electric push cart which I love.  The weather from June to September is still a little severe for walking with the heat and the rapidly developing thunderstorms.  But the waking 2-4 days a week did wonders for my numbers at my last doctors appointment.  Now if it could only do as well for my golf numbers!

Alan Wrzesien

37 minutes ago, Bang60 said:

Walking is usual in NZ unless you have health issues, I only play with a half set so walk and carry my bag but it's generally 9 holes ⛳

I didn't know you can only play 9 holes??

I Play in SW WA and in the PDX area

I like to walk, I have a Clicgear with all the accoutrements and I am considering getting a V2.

3 hours ago, Manny said:

Often only play 9 as that's what time allows for. 

We also have 6 hole course. Also due to the hole layout it's quite often I play with folks that only play 15 holes.

Another course where we played was a pay by hole. Only want to or have time for 12,4 or 7 holes then that's all you play and pay for.

18 is the norm, but that's just golfing tradition.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  :mizuno-small: S23 54,58 w/ KBS Tour Hi-Rev Blackout - TBD

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

5 hours ago, Manny said:

Oh yes and 9 hole membership and 9 hole courses are both available anywhere in New Zealand, actually midweek membership is popular in Australia and would suit me now I'm older. It's also cheaper because in Australia Saturday is Club Competition day and hard to get a game 😞 I'm trying to figure out which club I join now because of my health it's probably going to be 9 hole membership 🤔

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

I could only walk 9 at the beginning of this summer, then I finally recognized the wonder of a push cart and picked up a BagBoy Nitron. Now I'm walking 18 and loving it!

Cobra LTDx Max Driver & 3w
Taylormade M2 3 hybrid & M6 4 hybrid
Taylormade Burner irons 5-PW 
Pinemeadow Wedges (52, 56, 60)
Cobra KING Stingray putter

Still walk exclusively here. I have yet to find a course that is cart only so till then I will keep getting my steps in while golfing!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  :mizuno-small: S23 54,58 w/ KBS Tour Hi-Rev Blackout - TBD

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Walker have only ridden two rounds this year. Yes, pushcart a must. At our course it appears to be only the young guys that ride. We have an 80+ player who walks 18 holes 5 days a week hot or cold.

Coming back to golf

I walk almost all of my rounds. The only exception is when the course mandates I cannot or the tournament. Then, I seem to have 2-3 clubs in my hand often- walking holes.  Carts have expanded revenue for courses and extended the golfing life of 75-91 year olds I have played with this year.  Carts are not for me--yet.

I actually love walking. You get to appreciate the golf course so much more when you're walking between shots vs. zooming around in a golf cart checking your phone most of the time.

My fianceé got me a push cart for Christmas this past year and it's a game changer. I used to be strictly against push carts - thought they looked stupid, were for old men who couldn't carry their bags, etc... but now I can really appreciate them and I would recommend one to anyone who wishes to walk more.

I wish I could convince my friends to walk more. The majority usually prefers riding and I get out-voted. But I'm trying to make a conscious decision to walk more when I can.

Current WITB:

Driver:  image.png G425  Max 9.0º, Graphite Design Tour AD VR-6S

Fairway: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png 915F 15º, Diamana White x5ct D+ 80X

Hybrid/Driving Iron: image.png G425 19º, Tensei Blue CK 80HY S / image.png G425 Crossover 2-iron 18º, Aldila Rogue 95TS Graphite 

Irons: image.png.b5950bd367d637859d211fef578a14af.png MP-54 (4-P), Project X 6.0S

Wedges: image.png.d1297c66be43bbaf5444c8f967ccd80d.png Vokey SM6 50.12F, SM7 54.08M, SM7 58.08M

Putter: image.png.2a889a80c6a733b582bbac9dbc3cecf2.png California Del Mar, 34.5 Sweet Rollz "Safari" Midsize Grip

Ball: image.png.52cb58764bddc9c00ba3060db6a87cc7.png Tour B XS

I love walking and agree, I play better as it gives me time to think about last shot (sometimes get past that last bad shot 😎).  But, I also feel I get a better picture of the whole green and understand the undulations.  Plus, the exercise I get walking.  Usually I get about 12-13,000+ steps per round.

Zgolfen