Does anyone walk anymore?

Our Sponsors

I always walk... before this year, I walked and carried... Now I almost feel like a cheat as I have purchased a push cart having some scoliosis problems. But riding? That'd really feel like golf is no longer a sport.

• Like 2
  • Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just wondering if there any walkers left. I recently returned to the joys of walking the course. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the idea of leaving the cart behind and playing in a much more rel

Rule breaker...

I’ve started walking this season. I hadn’t since moving to Florida 14 years ago. I was tired at first but now it’s a piece of cake. I honestly forgot how much fun it was to walk. I may have to bac

Posted Images

I love to walk ... Most courses by me only allow walking during the weekdays so I end up riding about half the rounds I play.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sean - New Lenox,IL Play RH HDC 7

What's in the Bag:

Driver Callaway Great Big Bertha

Fairway Nike Vapor Fly

Hybrid Nike VR-S Covert 2 Tour

Irons/Wedges:Callaway Apex Pro 16

Volkey SM5 50/55/60 degree

Putter Benttinardi Studio B

I love to walk ... Most courses by me only allow walking during the weekdays so I end up riding about half the rounds I play.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

stinks. There is a course here in Athens Ga that is semi private and won't let nonmembers walk. They say it devalues the membership. I say carts devalue the sport

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Just wondering if there any walkers left. I recently returned to the joys of walking the course. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the idea of leaving the cart behind and playing in a much more relaxed state of mind. Also, it seems to me that I play better when walking. Anyone else enjoy putting one foot in front of the other when playing?

I've walked in FL for more than 20 years, switching from carrying to a push cart about ten years ago due to back issues. For the longest time there were no more than 5-10 walkers at our course. In the last 1-2 years there has been a dramatic increase in walkers, carrying and pushing. It's wonderful to see, good exercise and the way golf should be played. I hope the walking trend is happening in other places!!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I've walked in FL for more than 20 years, switching from carrying to a push cart about ten years ago due to back issues. For the longest time there were no more than 5-10 walkers at our course. In the last 1-2 years there has been a dramatic increase in walkers, carrying and pushing. It's wonderful to see, good exercise and the way golf should be played. I hope the walking trend is happening in other places!!

... Just before my first back surgery in 92' when I carried my bag and the dual strap came out I asked my Orthopedic surgeon if he liked the dual strap. He said he loved them because "they are gonna put all 3 of my kids thru college". He said a push cart is necessary for all golfers. He admitted some can carry their bags and get away with little or no problems, but you cannot keep your spine erect when carrying and for most, sooner or later they will have back problems. Good for you making the switch as you still get the exercise and all the benefits of walking while playing!  

• Like 1

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Orange 60s
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 7s
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Tensei Pro Orange 80 hy s-flex
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 110 s-flex 4 iron shaft
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

I walk about 18-27 holes a week with a Clicgear 3.5. One of my better purchases.

Ride with my regular group on the weekends.

I play much better when walking. I can get “in the zone”.

• Like 1

I walk the majority of the time. My local course isn't designed for walkers. There are quite a few long walks between greens and tee boxes. Plus there are no benches at any of the tee boxes. This set-up encourages people to ride in carts.

Hank my one local course I play like my home course is this way. The steep hills that are on the course makes walking rediculously annoying. With me moving my plan will be to walk more this year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I find the old courses are much easier to walk. In my area anyways, the newer course are built on larger acreage. Lots of old farms and such. So, the proximity from green to next tee boxes is quite far. It meanders through woods, and water. So, while the ambiance and scenery is fascinating, the walk,especially in the heat of summer, can be overwhelming. But, I do walk my home course once or twice a week. It is an old Devereux Emmet (1926) design, and the tee boxes are a short walk from the greens. I did walk Bethpage Black at 57 years old, because there are no carts. That was a workout.

• Like 3
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

I try to walk as often as possible. I just got a new cart and I want to use it. The problem is most courses you book online already include the cart and don't allow you to book a walking time.

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

Another walker here. Most times I'm pushing my ClicGear 3.5. I bought a Sun Mountain 2.5 last year so I could carry for a quick nine. I only ride when I'm forced.

But I played at the Shenvalee (in the Shenandoah mountains) for the first time last Spring, and I was glad they made us ride. I could not imagine pushing my cart there. Maybe I could walk it with a caddy.

• Like 3

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Iron - :mizuno-small: FliHi (18*) - Recoil 760 ( S )
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I try to walk as often as possible. I just got a new cart and I want to use it. The problem is most courses you book online already include the cart and don't allow you to book a walking time.

... I book a lot of times with Golfnow/TeeTimes that includes a cart, but I still walk and use my remote cart. Many times the Golfnow/TeeTimes with cart rate is cheaper than the direct walking rate. As a single the closer you get to the date with tee times available, the more the price drops so you can find some great bargains and still walk. 

• Like 5

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Orange 60s
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 7s
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Tensei Pro Orange 80 hy s-flex
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 110 s-flex 4 iron shaft
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

Chisag thats true. I play a lot of the Military courses and walk them plus I have found some good ones that have a walking rate for military for under $35

• Like 4

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

You can't peacock down the fairway after striping one or sticking one close when you have to get into a cart right away.   

• Like 4
What's in my bag...

Driver:      TaylorMade R15 10.5• Aldila Rouge Black 60g stiff shaft

3 Wood:   TaylorMade R15 15• Aldila Rouge Black 70g stiff shaft

Hybrid:     TaylorMade  Rescue 4-21• Aldila Rip 65g stiff shaft

Irons:        TaylorMade  RSi TP Nippon NS Pro 950, stiff shaft

Wedges:   TaylorMade  50•, 54•, 58• Nippon NS Pro stiff shaft

Putter:      TaylorMade Ghost 

Ball:          Wilson DUO U

Bag:         TaylorMade 

You can't peacock down the fairway after striping one or sticking one close when you have to get into a cart right away.

Nice! That's the best reason yet to walk!!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 (Rotex graphite) and Callaway X-Jaws 60 (TT-DG S300)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

I walked my final 9 of the year. It felt so great to get back to what I did growing up. No pull carts. Just my bag and two great friends in the fall. Shot -2 with 3 birdies and felt great at the end of the 9.

• Like 1
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan Player's Combo 4-P KBS Tour
  • Maltby TSW 52, 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide 2020
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index