Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Where'd My Swing Speed Go?

Shankster

Is it possible to lost 20mph clubhead speed over winter?!?!?! Just hit some drivers at the Golf Galaxy and it's about 20mph less than last year? I felt about 3/4 short on the course Monday. What in the F is going on?

- Alan

I feel your pain. I've lost 10mph driver swing speed and easily 15-20 yards off the tee. Have no idea what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al you must really bomb it then regularly, didn't you mention in a post you launched one 326 yards the other day with a fade? Maybe you're just Phil Mickelson long now instead of Rory McIlroy long haha.

But seriously though, trying too hard because you see certain numbers is a bad way to go about it. Focus on good contact first, I find that contact has a lot to do with it.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

I did lose about 16 pounds over the winter...

That's it!! I've dropped 21 since Thanksgiving. I gotta get back on the midnight Cherry Garcia diet.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Al you must really bomb it then regularly, didn't you mention in a post you launched one 326 yards the other day with a fade? Maybe you're just Phil Mickelson long now instead of Rory McIlroy long haha.

But seriously though, trying too hard because you see certain numbers is a bad way to go about it. Focus on good contact first, I find that contact has a lot to do with it.

I'm normally 270-280 at 108 ish. This monitor say 220 - 230 with 86mph clubhead speed?

- Alan

My last two drives today were pretty hawt ( 245ish) because I was only thinking about two things.  Keeping my big arse feet planted firmly on the ground while making a smooth take away.  Bingo..... 

Back to the OP....    Maybe father time is moving In on ya...  ;) 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

My last two drives today were pretty hawt ( 245ish) because I was only thinking about two things. Keeping my big arse feet planted firmly on the ground while making a smooth take away. Bingo.....

Back to the OP.... Maybe father time is moving In on ya... ;)

I am Turning 34 on Friday...

- Alan

I think you just got some bad technology. Especially if you've seen actual swing speed before at around 108.

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

I've seen 119 2 years ago. I'm going with the tech being set up wrong.

I think this is the correct assessment.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I am Turning 34 on Friday...

- Alan

If you're crying about that now boy, you're in for a nasty surprise!  :D

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

If you're crying about that now boy, you're in for a nasty surprise! :D

I wasn't very nice to my body as a kid/young adult. Sometimes I wonder if I can get out of bed in the morning. I can't wait to get old. I'm probably going to live in the PT facility. But yoga has helped! Laid off the weights and doing strictly body weight workouts makes life easier.

- Alan

I'm sure youll be hittin 300+ yard fades in no time

Hopefully just my average will be fine. 270 works just great. Every once and awhile I get one that flies over 300. Not very often. Like last year I hit one 360+ with a 5mph helping wind and it must have caught the downslope of a hill because there is no way my scrawny a$$ can move fast enough to make that happen for real. I was looking for my ball around the 260 mark up in the woods. I had a PW into an uphill par 5, and still only made par.

- Alan

I'm sure it was the monitor. Either the 108 was wrong last year or the 86 this year.

Also depending on your ball flight it's very normal to loose distance in the Spring. There's very little roll and there was tons of it in the fall.

Be careful what you wish for by wanting to move down South. You will find that you are shorter and it is very hit in the summer.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm sure it was the monitor. Either the 108 was wrong last year or the 86 this year.

Also depending on your ball flight it's very normal to loose distance in the Spring. There's very little roll and there was tons of it in the fall.

Be careful what you wish for by wanting to move down South. You will find that you are shorter and it is very hit in the summer.

I was in Virginia for 2 years. I'll take that over the 7 months of waist deep snow here!

- Alan

I did lose about 16 pounds over the winter...

A couple of years ago, I lost 22 pounds in a month during a weight loss challenge and also lost all my swing speed. It took me months to work it out and get it all back. It may just be the machine like you were thinking but weight loss definitely had an effect for me.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

So I was out today. Hitting my 3 wood 265.. hybrid 235, and ripped a 4 iron 258, probably 220 carry.

The driver don't go no more than 230. No matter what I do. Tried different things.

There is a small dent in the crown by the toe, where it meets the face. Would this effect it enough to cause a severe loss of distance??!!

Edit: the bad grammar was purposeful.

So I was out today. Hitting my 3 wood 265.. hybrid 235, and ripped a 4 iron 258, probably 220 carry.

The driver don't go no more than 230. No matter what I do. Tried different things.

There is a small dent in the crown by the toe, where it meets the face. Would this effect it enough to cause a severe loss of distance??!!

Edit: the bad grammar was purposeful.

By those distances it doesn't seem like you lost any swing speed.   I would look at the club more thoroughly to see if there is more than a dent.  I wouldn't think the dent would have that impact;  I am thinking you may actually have cracked the head or there is separation between the face and crown.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Is it possible to lost 20mph clubhead speed over winter?!?!?! Just hit some drivers at the Golf Galaxy and it's about 20mph less than last year? I felt about 3/4 short on the course Monday. What in the F is going on?

- Alan

Brother, I completely understand! I have struggled mightily the last 4 times out. I used to be a 250 yd. driver. Now, It seems like 230.... if I can even hit the %^&*(# ball!

I'm sure it will get better at some point, but it sure sucks right now!

Archived